Romario has signed with Miami FC

dbailey62

Here's the story from the Miami FC web site. It will be interesting to see if Romario can draw fans to Centennial Park on Friday, May 26th.

I think it will be a highlight of the season.

db

MIAMI FC SIGNS "ROMARIO" DE SOUZA FARIA - 03/30/2006

Miami, FL- March 30, 2006- Miami FC, the new USL (United Soccer Leagues) Division One franchise, announces the signing of the second leading scorer in world soccer history, Romario de Souza Faria ("Romario"), as its star striker for its inaugural season.

Romario, known in Brazil as "Baixinho" ("Shorty" in Portuguese), has had a prolific professional career. Romario became a national hero when he played a key role in helping Brazil win the 1994 World Cup in the United States. He was named the Best Player of that World Cup and received the "Golden Ball" for his efforts. Romario also went on to win the "FIFA Player of the Year Award" that same year. In addition to the World Cup, Romario won the 1989 and 1997 Copas Americas with the Brazilian National Team. During his 21-year career, Romario has played for several of the top clubs in the world including Vasco da Gama, Flamengo, Fluminense, PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona and Valencia. Romario arrives to Miami FC fresh off of being the leading scorer in the 2005 Brazilian Championship in which he scored 22 goals for Vasco da Gama. Boasting a total of 959 career goals, Romario is rapidly approaching the magical number of 1,000, a feat which only "The King" Pelé has achieved.

Julio Mariz, President of Traffic Sports and Miami FC, proudly commented about the signing of this world soccer icon, "Our objective with Miami FC is to build a winning team of international transcendence. Today with the signing of Romario, we have taken an important step in that direction. We invite all soccer fans to follow and support us in our quest for victory."

On behalf of USL, Vice President Tim Holt reacted to this signing by stating, "It would not be an overstatement to categorize Miami FC's signing of Romario as the most significant in USL First Division history. For a player of his stature and pedigree to display his talents in our markets throughout the United States, Canada, and the Caribbean this season will be a special treat for our dedicated supporters and also immediately serve to raise the quality of play within our competition.

The fact the ownership/management of Miami FC is able to attract such an important international star is a testament to their relationships in the soccer world."

Romario joins his teammates at Miami FC including most notably his World Cup 1994 teammate Zinho, Guatemalan international Mario "El Loco" Rodriguez, Jamaican international and 1998 World Cup player Onandi Lowe, Jamaican international Sean Fraser and Haitian international Stephane Guillaume.

The signing of Romario is complete simply pending the formality of international clearance which should be granted within a couple of days.

Miami FC will make its US debut in a pre-season friendly on April 16 against current Jamaican and Caribbean Champions, Portmore United. The game will be held at 4PM at Miami FC's home stadium, Tropical Park Stadium in the heart of Miami. Miami FC will host a series of activities all day in and around the stadium to celebrate its inaugural match and Easter Sunday. Miami will then play its first official match when it opens its USL Regular Season against 2004 league champion Montreal Impact on Sunday, April 23 at 4PM at Tropical Park Stadium.

Tickets may be purchased by calling 1-866-57-MIAMI (1-866-576-4264)

Guest Jeffery S.

Romario is a special person. He does not like to train, indeed just this week his mother, a Vasco fan, came out saying that he could not expect to play if he was not willing to train at least 3 times a week.

He loved nightlife at Barça and would go dancing late. Then wake up, arrive slightly late for training, run as little as possible, love the ball-related drills, scrimmage quite well (like a futsal player indeed, in short pitch 7-a-side he is more lethal) then eat, and go back to sleep for a few hours. He used to sleep a lot in his prime years here, they say up to 14 hours a day. So it was samba, lots of shut-eye, and flashes of lethal goal scoring.

And he had that sleepy look at the time, which was also a gaze that would never look you in the eye. When Aragonés had him at Valencia he hated this evasiveness, kept telling Romario to look him in the eye when talking: but I think is more like a basic introversion, the character a man who is quite a homebody, fairly sentimental, and not too expressive.: Romario was never a big talker, very articulate when he did speak, or particularly key in the dressing room in terms of leadership.

So a quite unique fellow. He is not fast but quick in the short turn and dash, has a very low centre of gravity and good balance to enable him to dribble quickly into shooting position, is very accurate with a shot that is not hard but can find the inside of the post near or far or just as well chip the keeper if slightly out from outside the box.

Not a bad free kick either. I once saw him score three, I think, one a long free kick, in an 8-1 wipeout of Osasuna. His greatest goal for Barça, in the 5-0 over Madrid at Camp Nou, was when he did the move called the "bull's tail" I think, where you have your back to the defender, and hook the ball with one foot while spinning and taking the ball with you all the way around, catching the defender unexpecting, and continuing your run at him.

He won't defend and forces you to play him as centre striker. He is no good if you want to counter. You have to play ball control and he has to receive within 25 metres, preferably in the middle, from where he'll take his run, take his chances, and look for a hole. So if they are at all serious about playing him, they'll have to tolerate what is normally never put up with, as well as change their playing style to accomodate him.

Guest Jeffery S.

This is all over the world soccer press today. The USL has never received such PR in all the years of its history. I think, in principle, this is good for its prestige. I can now say that my home team plays in the same league as Romario's team.

Normally when a 40 year-old signs for a team that suggests the level is low, but since he is coming from Brazilian top flight, and the motivation is related to the new team owner being Brazilian, it might in fact suggest the level is not so bad. Which is good for our USL teams, and may even make it easier to sell players in its teams into stronger pro contracts elsewhere.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

This is all over the world soccer press today. The USL has never received such PR in all the years of its history. I think, in principle, this is good for its prestige. I can now say that my home team plays in the same league as Romario's team.

Normally when a 40 year-old signs for a team that suggests the level is low, but since he is coming from Brazilian top flight, and the motivation is related to the new team owner being Brazilian, it might in fact suggest the level is not so bad. Which is good for our USL teams, and may even make it easier to sell players in its teams into stronger pro contracts elsewhere.

That Miami team looks like it could beat Red Bull New York with one brazillian tied behind it's back. So let's see, Montreal, Seatle, Rochester and now Miami, 4 USL teams that could win the MLS League.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by G-Man

That Miami team looks like it could beat Red Bull New York with one brazillian tied behind it's back. So let's see, Montreal, Seatle, Rochester and now Miami, 4 USL teams that could win the MLS League.

This is actually a common view amongst USL players, I found out last summer talking to Whitecaps who were doing a kid's camp. In a conversation with two on the team (one gone, another still there) they were convinced when stating the opinion that the Caps were better than most MLS teams, and that the MLS was not better than the USL. I think they had a seriously distorted view of things, but since there is no relegation from MLS, and no promotion from USL, and since some player salaries are very low in MLS, it is not that surprising that the difference is not as great as you would find in a normal league context in Europe or S. America.

Open Cup is where USL teams imagine themselves as good as MLS, but in the end the semi-finals are dominated by MLS teams.

Just today in a Whitecaps newletter promoting the Brazil u-20 game and the international tourney with India, Cardiff, they specifically mention, in selling ticket packages, that one particular deal includes seeing Miami FC with World Cup star Romario.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Its easy to imagine yourself better than the other guys when, in the absense of relegation promotion, you rarely have to test yourself against them.....

Very true. Of course, it is the MLS that has everything to lose in such matches, since they live and die off the claim that they are the best in North America and deserving of respect from the rest of the world. They have to shelter their teams, particularly the crap ones like Chivas and RSL (see their records last season?!) from the more capable and professional USL teams like Montreal.

Historical note: although everyone assumes that the NFL is vastly superior to the CFL, there has not been any contests to test this since the 60's. In truth, the history of those games (play one half with American rules, and the other half with Canadian) were about evenly split. The reason why there have not been any games since the 60's is because the American Commissioner banned them after the last game, when Buffalo made the short trip over and had their asses handed to them by the Hamilton Ti-Cats. It is easier to claim superiority when you don't have to explain away any embarrassing loses. Maybe that is why the FA Cup is so cool.

I would love to see a North American version of the FA Cup, but I guess measuring Romario's performance in and attitude to the USL will be useful.

quote:Originally posted by KAS

I would love to see a North American version of the FA Cup, but I guess measuring Romario's performance in and attitude to the USL will be useful.

The US Open Cup is essentially the same format as the FA Cup.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

The US Open Cup is essentially the same format as the FA Cup.

The US Open Cup is the USL's chance to prove superiority and their teams have won the cup once in the last 10 years (Rochester). Just like the FA Cup, MLS teams tend to start a number of reserves in the early rounds when playing USL teams. Just like the FA cup, there are always upsets.

http://www.usopencup.com/

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by MM2

The US Open Cup is the USL's chance to prove superiority and their teams have won the cup once in the last 10 years (Rochester). Just like the FA Cup, MLS teams tend to start a number of reserves in the early rounds when playing USL teams. Just like the FA cup, there are always upsets.

http://www.usopencup.com/

That said, I think the Open Cup is a great idea and a fine competition, it is so unlike the mentality of American sport. And yes, it has all the possible ups and downs of a good cup competition anywhere in the world, with surprises, but with the dominant, better teams usually coming out on top.

First of all, this is not the Romario of 1994. There is no question that he can still score (22 last year for Vasco if my sources are correct). As Jeffrey mentions, his style of play means he scores goals. However, that style becomes more of a liability with his age. Vasco has a mediocre year last year despite his goalscoring.

Secondly, this is all about money. Vasco has little and in not involved any major tournaments so its revenue streams are limited. In fact, their performance in the Taca Rio suggests they will have another year of mediocracy. While Romario, no doubt, would love to end his career with Vasco, the club probably cannot afford his contract. The solution appears to be to let him play on loan in Miami and let them pay his contract for six months. Apparently, he finishes the year with Vasco (Sept - Dec.). This also allows the club to sidestep the uncomfortable step of sending him to the substitute's bench. After all, Vasco is likely not going to be in a position to play for anything when he returns anyway or if they are, the club will have more support for its current lineup.

Finally, while I hope this transaction is completed and Romario is playing in North America, I will caution that this is Vasco that Miami is dealing with. Vasco and Miranda is not known for their honesty. After having spent the last three years in business dealings in Brazil, a deal is not final until the goods or services have been delivered. That is why Brazilians put so much emphasis on personal relationships.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

First of all, this is not the Romario of 1994. There is no question that he can still score (22 last year for Vasco if my sources are correct). As Jeffrey mentions, his style of play means he scores goals. However, that style becomes more of a liability with his age. Vasco has a mediocre year last year despite his goalscoring.

Secondly, this is all about money. Vasco has little and in not involved any major tournaments so its revenue streams are limited. In fact, their performance in the Taca Rio suggests they will have another year of mediocracy. While Romario, no doubt, would love to end his career with Vasco, the club probably cannot afford his contract. The solution appears to be to let him play on loan in Miami and let them pay his contract for six months. Apparently, he finishes the year with Vasco (Sept - Dec.). This also allows the club to sidestep the uncomfortable step of sending him to the substitute's bench. After all, Vasco is likely not going to be in a position to play for anything when he returns anyway or if they are, the club will have more support for its current lineup.

Finally, while I hope this transaction is completed and Romario is playing in North America, I will caution that this is Vasco that Miami is dealing with. Vasco and Miranda is not known for their honesty. After having spent the last three years in business dealings in Brazil, a deal is not final until the goods or services have been delivered. That is why Brazilians put so much emphasis on personal relationships.

Add to that what I mentioned about his being a homebody and sentimental. If he decides he is not happy in Miami for purely personal reasons he'll force his way out quickly. He may also find that the relative lack of glamour in the USL, with a few rather depressing stadiums in there, may be a bit hard to take.

Miami plays in Toronto once this season. Friday, May 26. 11 a.m. "School Day".

Granted, the Lynx plans were set before the announcement. But if they don't take advantage of this and move the game to the evening and forget this "School Day" bull, they don't deserve to ever make one complaint about the CSA "screwing them" or anything else.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Miami plays in Toronto once this season. Friday, May 26. 11 a.m. "School Day".

Granted, the Lynx plans were set before the announcement. But if they don't take advantage of this and move the game to the evening and forget this "School Day" bull, they don't deserve to ever make one complaint about the CSA "screwing them" or anything else.

They have to change this. If Romario is there, they will actually be able to sell tickets instead of giving them away to the kids, as long as they change the start time to 7:30pm of course.

I imagine that they are working on this change already.

db

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

And if they change the date and disappoint 3000 schoolkids, that would be OK?

Then a night game where Romario doesn't play because of visa problems or a sore heel?

They have to risk it Robin. They can reschedule the kids day. If the Lynx can promote this properly, they could sell (and I mean really sell) a few thousand seats. They're not going to gross $50,000 for a kidsday promotion but they could very well do so for this match if handled properly. They could do even better.

Your concerns are valid but the Lynx have too much to lose by not switching it up. I'm sure there will be lots of fans very pissed off if they can't seem Romario because the game is at 11 bloody 30 in the morning.

This may be their one good chance for good media exposure too.

They've gotta do it.

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

They have to risk it Robin. They can reschedule the kids day. If the Lynx can promote this properly, they could sell (and I mean really sell) a few thousand seats. They're not going to gross $50,000 for a kidsday promotion but they could very well do so for this match if handled properly. They could do even better.

Your concerns are valid but the Lynx have too much to lose by not switching it up. I'm sure there will be lots of fans very pissed off if they can't seem Romario because the game is at 11 bloody 30 in the morning.

This may be their one good chance for good media exposure too.

They've gotta do it.

db

Lots of fans? I heard the scarf set has already jump ship and are waiting for the MLSE gods to name the team. The Lynx has to look beyond this small market of middle aged men living with mom.

And If anyone was a "real soccer fan" they'd skip work that day and see a legend play. If they're not willing to do that- then they're posers of the highest order.

As for the Lynx, they should continue to develop the links with the schools. Those kids one day will look back at the day and think "Wow, I saw a soccer god" and it was due to the Lynx and not MLSE, who from what I hear will be bringing in such teams Real Salt Lake and Kansas City Wizards in 2007 and their casts of nameless thunks.

And If anyone was a "real soccer fan" they'd skip work that day and see a legend play. If they're not willing to do that- then they're posers of the highest order.

G-Man is telling everyone what a 'real soccer fan' is. It must be April Fool's Day.

quote:As for the Lynx, they should continue to develop the links with the schools. Those kids one day will look back at the day and think "Wow, I saw a soccer god" and it was due to the Lynx and not MLSE, who from what I hear will be bringing in such teams Real Salt Lake and Kansas City Wizards in 2007 and their casts of nameless thunks.

The Lynx front office must be so proud of themselves for their due diligence in bringing Romario to Estadio Centennial.

You continue to contradict yourself on the MLS topic, G-Man. Either it is a good league or not. You can't conveniently slag it one day and sing its praises the next.

Lots of fans? I heard the scarf set has already jump ship and are waiting for the MLSE gods to name the team. The Lynx has to look beyond this small market of middle aged men living with mom.

As for the Lynx, they should continue to develop the links with the schools. Those kids one day will look back at the day and think "Wow, I saw a soccer god" and it was due to the Lynx and not MLSE, who from what I hear will be bringing in such teams Real Salt Lake and Kansas City Wizards in 2007 and their casts of nameless thunks.

Did I say abandon the kids? Did I say cancel the school day event? No in both cases. I said reschedule.

As for skipping a day of work, some of us have responsibilities. You skip work if you like. I don't have that option and I would doubt that many of us do.

The Lynx need to take advantage of this opportunity and not waste it on students who don't know the difference between Romario and Michael Schumacher.

db

As I mentioned last year but maybe should have said again in my last post, the kids tickets are $7

(or maybe $7.50). These are not freebies. I heard that from asking team management and schoolteachers themselves. I suppose if there was really some poor kids, they'd have a bake sale.

I don't skip work. I plan my vacation days months in advance. Wasn't the 'in' thing to do over the years was to see the season opener of the Blue Jays? Now scheduling weekday games is a regular occurance on any travel day for the team. If you really want to go, you'll find a way.

And db, how many 'night' games were you at last year anyway?

As I mentioned last year but maybe should have said again in my last post, the kids tickets are $7

(or maybe $7.50). These are not freebies. I heard that from asking team management and schoolteachers themselves. I suppose if there was really some poor kids, they'd have a bake sale.

I don't skip work. I plan my vacation days months in advance. Wasn't the 'in' thing to do over the years was to see the season opener of the Blue Jays? Now scheduling weekday games is a regular occurance on any travel day for the team. If you really want to go, you'll find a way.

• 3 weeks later...

Odd. I know I replied to Robin way back when but must have messed up the post somehow. Anyway .....

That's great Robin. I wish I could do that. While I have some flexibility at work, I can't usually pull that off.

As for me being at night games, or any Lynx game for that matter, as you probably realize, I swore off the club a couple of years ago.

Also, thanks for setting me straight on the ticket prices. Even so, they are only getting half the money they could have otherwise have received at the gate if this game were actually to be played at a time when adults (paying full price) could actually attend.

db

Archived