Thank you, Jason Bent

sstackho

I am very saddened by the plight of Jason Bent. Although it is an ever-present risk in sport, a career-ending injury is always a sad story.

One of Bent's "Career Highlights" from his press release is way up there in my book:

quote:

Career Highlights

Scored Decisive Penalty kick against Martinique in the 2002 Gold Cup Quarter-finals

At this time when we're all probably feeling a bit down about this man who gave so much for his national team, I reckon it's not a bad idea to lift our spirits with a repeat of a recollection of that day when our Canadian boys did the unthinkable. The day we beat a 10-man Martinique team. Thank you, Jason Bent. Thank you.

---------

I am reliving the drama and emotion of what must be one of, if not the proudest moment of all Canadian soccer fans. The time the boys from our humble little country heroically came from behind to defeat the daunting, intimidating, fearful, formidable, arduous, onerous and minacious Martiniquians.

Imagine, if you will, a Saturday night in Miami, back in January 2002. Our ramshackle squad consisted of Lars Hirschfeld in net (back when he had hair), Mark Rogers, Tony Menezes, Jason De Vos, Paul Stalteri, Davide Xausa, Jim Brennan, Daniel Imhof, Richard Hastings and Kevin McKenna. The Canadians were mere boys, facing the Martinique squad featuring stars such as Lupon, Reuperne, and of course, Huerlie.

The match begins, and it takes all of the Canadians' efforts to make it to half-time with the score still level at 0-0. The mastermind Osieck has analyzed the Martiniquians play in the first half, and devises a gameplan that he feels just...might...work against their opponent. But alas, Osieck was no match for the Martinique manager, who had his own tricks up his sleeve. To start the second half, Martinique substitute Agathine in for Bullet, immediately rendering Osieck's plans ineffective.

Osieck panics, and removes Menezes for De Rosario in the 54th minute. Guatemalan referee Carlos "Blind as a" Batres takes pity on the poor Canadians, and in the 61st minute sends off Jean-Victor Latril for a tackle on Imhof - which IMHO warrants a comment on Imhof's name.

Mark Rogers gets terribly excited at this turn of events, and immediately puts the ball in his own net to give 10-man Martinique the lead that everyone was expecting.

But did the Canadians quit when facing such an uphill battle? Hell no. Jimmy Brennan runs down the wing and randomly lobs the ball into the box, and luckily finds the head of Li'l Kevin McKenna who manages to climb above the towering defenders to put the ball in.

Game on.

Now the Canadians start to believe in themselves. They feel that today could be the day they manage to pull off one of the greatest upsets of all time. They perservere, and defend against the onslaught of the mighty Martinique offense - even managing to create a chance of their own, only to be called back for offside.

After 90 minutes, the whistle is blown, and this epic match goes into extra time. During extra time, as the Canadian players become fatigued against their unstoppable opponents, Osieck is forced to make more changes - replacing Xausa with Julian De Guzman and Imhof with Tam Nsaliwa.

Against all odds, the Canadians manage to hold out until the final whistle. At least now they may have a chance in the lottery of penalty kicks. However, they are well aware that Martiniques rank among the best penalty kick takers of soccer-playing land masses that do not have FIFA status. But the Canadians are not going to go down without a fight.

Martinique is up first, and Lupon scores easily. McKenna steps up for Canada, and is dwarfed by the the keeper Huerlie, but he manages to put the ball in. Clement scores for Martinique, and now it's Jimmy Brennan's turn for Canada. But he shoots wide, and is immediately cut from Canada's WCQ 2006 semifinal round squad. DiCanot scores Martinique's 3rd, and DeRosario squeaks one by for Canada. Mirande continues the rout for Martinique, and now Tsaliwa must score to keep Canada alive. And he does.

This sets up what could be the final shot of the game. None other than Reuperne for Martinique to win it, and finally snuff out this gutsy, yet outgunned Canadian team. Hirschfeld gives Reuperne his best stare, but he looks about as threatening as that kid from Silverchair. Hirschfeld stands tall. The stadium falls silent. Time seems to stand still. A hawk flies silently overhead. The referee blows his whistle. Reuperne shoots, and the ball soars into the stands. The Canadians have a chance.

Captain De Vos steps up and coolly slots his shot home. Sudden Death. This match officially enters the record books as the Greatest Match Of All Time In All Sport.

The Martiniquians are still so confident that they will beat the Canadians that they send their keeper Huerlie to take the shot, on which he scores easily. Canada counters with Paul Stalteri, who keeps the Canadians alive with a goal. A dehydrated and confused Hirschfeld has to helped towards the goal line for Martinique's next shot. Lina starts his run-up, Hirschfeld falls over and distracts Lina such that his shot bounces off the post. The Canadians actually have a chance to win it.

Jason Bent draws the shortest straw and comes up to take the shot that could win it. He locks eyes with Huerlie for a solid five minutes. The referee blows his whistle. Bent steps up, and hits The Shot Heard Around The World, winning it for Canada. Bent pumps his fists in celebration, and is immediately cut from Canada's WCQ 2006 squad.

They had done it. The boys from Canada had done the unthinkable. They beat the Mighty Mighty Martinique. Ten-man Martinique.

I learned something that day. That was the day I learned that anything is possible, if you want it badly enough. Not a day passes without me thinking about what that Canadian team had to overcome. When I must face tough challenges in my life, I just think about January 26, 2002, and I know, that anything is possible.

wow...and I thought that this might have been a classy tribute to a guy who has spent most of his life serving our country in what, at least in my humble opinion, could easily be described as just as patriotic and unappreciated a job as dying in Kabul with a maple leaf on because the Americans didn't want to finish their own dirty work.

silly me

love the sarcasm (honestly)

hate the way it looks towards Jason Bent.

reminds me of how I couldn't even get a single cheer started to thank Jason Devos for his decade of service in what was likely his last game as a Nat after the last meaningful qualifier in Vancouver, in the Canadian supporter's section no less.

and we wonder why we can't get more support started for Canadian soccer...we can't even support our own players on this site.

Jeffrey has a point.

What we won?! My god, my Martiniquian coworkers told me we lost that match and knowing the odds I accepted that. Now I'll have something substantial to rub in their faces the next time they threaten to make fun of MY country.

Well, there was a thread where a lot of us thanked Jason for his commitment for Canada but Jeffrey S. went mad and the thread took another direction.

I think this text is quite funny and I prefer reading this then a thread where one or two people hijacked a thread for no apparent reason.

Nolando: go read the other thread about Jason Bent(http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9042) and tell me where we aren't supporting him.

Oh, believe me, I truly appreciate the effort Bent has given to the national team. He's in the same boat as De Vos in my mind. But this moment is what I remember first and foremost in my mind. The penalty shot was immortalized thereafter in the SoccerCentral intro (which started 'The SoccerCentral Curse', in my opinion, and is the reason why only generic players are featured in this year's SoccerCentral opening montage).

The nature of the post may be in jest (which I hope would be acceptable when we only managed to squeak by Martinique), but the "thank you" is genuine.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Oh, believe me, I truly appreciate the effort Bent has given to the national team. He's in the same boat as De Vos in my mind. But this moment is what I remember first and foremost in my mind. The penalty shot was immortalized thereafter in the SoccerCentral intro (which started 'The SoccerCentral Curse', in my opinion, and is the reason why only generic players are featured in this year's SoccerCentral opening montage).

The nature of the post may be in jest (which I hope would be acceptable when we only managed to squeak by Martinique), but the "thank you" is genuine.

point taken...well written humour by the way

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by loyola

Well, there was a thread where a lot of us thanked Jason for his commitment for Canada but Jeffrey S. went mad and the thread took another direction.

I think this text is quite funny and I prefer reading this then a thread where one or two people hijacked a thread for no apparent reason.

Nolando: go read the other thread about Jason Bent(http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9042) and tell me where we aren't supporting him.

What you mean by me going mad was this: I was the first to take a few hints deliberately left on the board by such insignificant people as a national team player wife and others, and suggested that Bent was extremely upset by treatment by the CSA and had begun proceedings to right an apparent wrong. Then a bunch of the usual CSA yeah-sayers jumped on me for doing so. You don't pat yourself on the back for supporting a national team player while effectively stabbing him in his with the other hand, loyola.

If you really want to support Bent you'd get off your CSA buzz and viral salary and admit you were bothered that he dared to challenge the CSA on not supporting him properly through his difficulties.

To return to the first post. It is excellent, ironic, but I think it goes the wrong way. Bent is asked for a highlight and gives one. He chooses a competitive match and not a friendly. He picks one where he scores, a rarity for him. I think the piece would have been much more pertinent if it had taken our national team coach to task on some of his more ridiculous leanings (Peters the saviour of our national team program anyone?).

I have no problem with Bent criticizing the CSA but as a lawyer myself, if the CSA was my client I would tell them not to talk with Jason Bent during the legal procedures, that's the way it is Jeffrey. I think An Obeserver also posted something similar in the other thread.

You going mad is when you suggested that the fans were disrespectful toward Jason when almost everyone in the thread spoke positively (go read Rudi post in that thread) of him.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

What you mean by me going mad was this: I was the first to take a few hints deliberately left on the board by such insignificant people as a national team player wife and others, and suggested that Bent was extremely upset by treatment by the CSA and had begun proceedings to right an apparent wrong. Then a bunch of the usual CSA yeah-sayers jumped on me for doing so.

...and that's today's revisionist history lesson, brought to you by the letters "J" and "S".

Ingredients of Barcelona Sangria

* 1 1/2 L Red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

* 1 cup Sugar

* 1 large Lemon, sliced

* 1 large Orange, sliced

* 1 large Apple, cut into thin sections

* 3-4 oz plain Brandy

* Soda water

* Experimental CIA drug designed to produce feelings of paranoia and conspiracy theories

Guest Jeffery S.

If you missed the point about the Bent story that is your problem, just like if you want to wear naivety like a feather in your hat you are free to do so.

This story would not be in the press if the CSA angle had not been there. There would have been no significant press response to a simple note by Bent commenting he was leaving soccer, and leaving it at that. Nor a thread longer than a dozen posts on this board.

Davidson might have written a short note, but the story from the press angle is that he specifically mentions Kevan Pipe and the CSA as not living up to a basic human ethos of loyalty and appreciation for years of collaboration.

Why is it necessary to reduce the story to what it is not: a simple good bye from a player? Because it is not. It is a going down shooting story, and if it weren't that way, we would not have heard about it. This is Onstad's story as well, and it seems that De Vos has also gone down shooting, though in a different way. This is where those who think that saying "well-done Jason, good lad" is the right response are completely missing the point.

The whole idea of creating the news piece on his part is to make people aware of his displeasure with the CSA. That displeasure came from their lack of committment to staying in touch with him and helping him, however they could, in his difficult time.

As for legalisms: their silence towards him preceeded the legal case, which suggests those arguing the CSA is right not to talk to him are doing so in bad faith. If they did not speak to him and shut him out for months before a legal case emerged, you can't argue that they were right to do so on the basis of the legal case that came after. More likely, when you are negotiating like two mature humans who are supposed to be concerned about each other's reality, you talk for a long while, and then, if all else fails, you might take a legal option. But the CSA did not talk at all, for a long time. That is a huge failure on their part.

And that is at the heart of this story. If you don't believe me, guys, why don't you ask Jason directly?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Ingredients of Barcelona Sangria

* 1 1/2 L Red wine (Cabernet Sauvignon)

* 1 cup Sugar

* 1 large Lemon, sliced

* 1 large Orange, sliced

* 1 large Apple, cut into thin sections

* 3-4 oz plain Brandy

* Soda water

* Experimental CIA drug designed to produce feelings of paranoia and conspiracy theories

Since you know I cannot do the same recipe for you guys, since that would be unpatriotic (what Canadians are drinking nowadays), I am at a disadvantage. And you lose out too, since you are missing a few good Canadian cocktail recipes I could help you out on.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

JS, apologies for posting like a weiner. I disagree with your potshots and personal attacks but my post was rude. I have the flu and I'm bitchy.

Considering what a rough year I am having on this board, for some reason I cannot figure out (really, and I am referring to myself, not others) I appreciate that shaku_bert.

Would you believe that never, in the 18 years I have been in Barcelona, can I remember having sangria. Nor do I know anyone who does regularly. I actually think it is not drunk much except by 17 year old American girls whose parents let them go for an ice-cream alone near their hotel when on holiday in and they sheepishly sneak into a bar and order it while giggling astonished at each other.

Archived