Masahiro Fukasawa back with the Impact for 2006

Alberto7

http://impactmontreal.com/newsEN.asp?no_id=457

MASAHIRO FUKASAWA WILL BE BACK IN 2006

MONTREAL, January 31, 2006 – Japanese midfielder Masahiro Fukasawa has signed a new one-year contract with the Montreal Impact, a deal that also includes a one-year option.

“We are truly happy to know that we will be able to count on Masahiro in 2006,” said Impact head coach Nick De Santis. “He is an offensive midfielder who brought a whole new dimension to the club with his speed and his exceptional technical strengths. He is a disciplined player with a good attitude and he is very much appreciated by his teammates in the dressing room. The fans love him as well. The year of experience he has gained playing soccer in North America in 2005 should be of tremendous benefit to him for this upcoming season.”

De Santis will therefore be able to count on the two players who were named the Impact’s Co-Newcomers of the Year last season. Fukasawa was picked for the award along with Lars Lyssand, a midfielder and defender who will be into the second year of a two-year contract.

Last season, Fukasawa was the only Impact player, along with Mauro Biello, to play all of the team’s 28 regular-season games. He was also one of nine Montreal players to earn 15 starts or more, with 16. He scored one goal and added an assist in 1,708 minutes of play.

Before joining the Impact last year, Fukasawa played nine seasons in the Japanese Professional Soccer Association (J-League). He has also played as a pro in Argentina.

Note that in last December the Impact also announced the signings of midfielder Kirk Wilson, who will play a first season in Montreal in 2006, while captain Mauro Biello and goalkeeper Greg Sutton signed new contracts with the team.

The Impact will kick off the 2006 USL D1 season on Sunday, April 23 in Florida, against the expansion-team Miami F.C. The Montreal club will play the 13th home opener of its history at Claude-Robillard Sports Complex on Sunday, May 21, against the Minnesota Thunder.

Impact 2006 season-ticket packages are on sale. For further information, contact the Impact ticketing office at 514-328-3668 or ticketing@impactmontreal.com.

-30-

Source: Patrick Vallée, Montreal Impact

Info: 514-328-3668 (ext. 27)

I am a bit surprised by this. He is a decent player but nothing exceptional. I expected a lot more from someone with significant J-league experience although maybe I am overrating the J-league. He did play every game but only started about half of them, ie. he did not win a solid starting position. I would expect the Impact to try and get someone of more exceptional ability with their import spots. The imports should really be among the best players on the club, I am sure there are a few unsigned Canadians that could play for the Impact in an alternating starter/sub role. I hope at least that they are not paying him better because he is an import.

I really doubt that Fukasawa's contract is rock solid, if he does not perform they will probably dump him just like they did with Kevin Wilson last year. So there is no big risk, you get someone who is adequate, knows the system and the environnement and if he does'nt do well you can cut him easily.

As for signing a canadian player who was in Europe the last few years I admit that I'm a bit puzzled, maybe Rocco Placentino??? Although he is doing a good job with Gualdo in Serie C2 and might go to a higher series if he keeps it up.

In today's Journal de Montréal, Martin Smith reports that Nick De Santis and Joey Saputo are in Argentina with Mauricio Vincello checking out some players and a training centre. Saputo would like to sign another Argentinian player providing this player is ready to accept the pay the Impact are offering. Saputo also says that he is exploring the possibility of bringing the Impact to Argentina for part of their training camp.

Here is the article(in French):

http://www2.canoe.com/sports/nouvelles/archives/2006/02/20060201-092900.html

L'Impact

Mission exploratoire en Argentine pour Saputo et DeSantis

Martin Smith

Le Journal de Montréal

01/02/2006 09h29

De l'Argentine où il est en mission exploratoire en compagnie de Nick DeSantis, le président de l'Impact a commenté avec enthousiasme le retour du milieu japonais, Masahiro Fukasawa, pour la saison 2006.

«Il nous a beaucoup donné la saison dernière et sera en mesure de donner davantage puisque son année d'expérience dans la USL va l'aider énormément , a dit Joey Saputo. Masahiro a aimé son séjour à Montréal mais aurait souhaité se trouver un club au Japon. Il a été très honnête avec nous. Il nous avait promis une réponse pour la fin janvier et il nous l'a fournie.»

La mise sous contrat de Fukasawa laisse encore deux places pour des joueurs étrangers au sein de l'Impact puisque, à partir de la saison 2006, les joueurs américains ne sont pas considérés comme des étrangers dans les formations canadiennes et vice-versa.

Les quatre autres étrangers de la formation montréalaise sont l'Argentin Mauricio Vincello, le Brésilien Zé Roberto, le Trinidadien Joel Bailey et le Colombien Carlos Garcia.

Les nouveaux règlements font en sorte que les Américains Lars Lyssand et Kirk Wilson ne sont pas considérés sous le plafond du maximum de sept étrangers.

Centre de formation à Buenos Aires

«Nous aimerions bien recruter un joueur d'impact en Argentine, mais il faut voir si on peut en convaincre un de venir jouer à Montréal pour le salaire que nous sommes prêts à payer», a dit Saputo.

Le président et l'entraîneur en chef de l'Impact ont passé pas mal de temps à un centre de formation pour joueurs sans contrat, appelé CEFFAR, en banlieue de Buenos Aires.

On espère créer des liens avec ce centre où on pourrait envoyer des jeunes joueurs québécois, âgés de 17 ou 18 ans, suivre des stages d'un à trois mois. L'Impact ajouterait ainsi un volet important à sa mission d'aider à développer le soccer québécois qui comporte déjà un programme de bourses pour de jeunes espoirs.

Saputo et DeSantis examinent aussi la possibilité d'amener l'Impact en camp d'entraînement pré-saison à ce centre de formation argentin où on trouve plus facilement des équipes de très bon calibre pour disputer des matchs préparatoires.

Spectateurs intéressés

Le séjour en Argentine leur laisse aussi des moments de divertissement dont les deux hommes profitent pour aller voir du soccer de la première division argentine.

«On a vu un très mauvais match quand Lanus a fait match nul 0-0 avec Independiente, dimanche dernier, a raconté Saputo. Ce soir (mardi), nous allons avec Mauricio (Vincello) assister au match opposant le Racing Club de Buenos Aires au Colon de Santa Fe.»

De retour à Montréal dans quelques jours, Joey Saputo plongera de nouveau dans le dossier du futur stade du Technopole.

«Les démarches vont bien, dit-il. On passe bientôt devant le comité consultatif en urbanisme puis, une fois cette étape complétée, on confiera le contrat à un entrepreneur. La construction devrait commencer à la mi-mars.»

La priorité de recrutement va à un milieu offensif, bon distributeur de ballons, «à la Sandro Grande».

Les négociations avec l'attaquant brésilien Mauricio Salles, ex-Islander de Porto Rico, se poursuivent.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am a bit surprised by this. He is a decent player but nothing exceptional. I expected a lot more from someone with significant J-league experience although maybe I am overrating the J-league.

To be precise, the vast majority of his games were in the second-division (J2), not the top-flight J-League.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The Argentina link doesn't surprise me. In 2003, Saputo acquired Molfino Hermanos S.A., the third largest dairy processor in Argentina. I had thought that the possibility might be there for them to leverage that opportunity for other interests

Well, I don't know if that plays a role or not, but surely having Vincello around to vouch for the team is a big help. (At least the Lynx have Lewis Blois, right? :D)

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

The Argentina link doesn't surprise me. In 2003, Saputo acquired Molfino Hermanos S.A., the third largest dairy processor in Argentina. I had thought that the possibility might be there for them to leverage that opportunity for other interests

Saputo has travelled to Argentina in the past for business and like you said, why not catch a couple of games there and bring to coach in case you spot some available talent...

Archived