North American Stadia

403 Addick

Since my city does not have it's own football park I often find myself roaming stadium sites and looking at other cities' pretty little parks. It's not that I'm really pro-North American but I haven't seen any sites dedicated to the parks over here. Well last week I had a little bit of free time with my computer and have created a site dedicated to the Football Parks of North America, I hope you guys enjoy it! Cheers!

De

http://ucalgary.ca/~daprevat/parks_home.html

Maybe you could volunteer to add content to: http://www.canadian-soccer.com/en/cs_stadiums.asp rather than start up yet another stadium site? This would be the third or fourth such site I have seen in the last five years and while all are well-meaning they are hosted on private/personal pages which after a while go badly out of date or disappear.

Hmmmm, some sort of Wiki-based approach would probably work. Didn't someone try setting one up a while ago?

Anyway, I set up a page about our local stadium which you are welcome to link to: http://www.victoriaunited.com/archive/rap.html

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

What about all the stadiums i've posted here ?

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5678

No offence but some of those "stadia" are nothing more than a field with some bleachers. In my part of the world those are considered "city parks".

I think the cut off for a stadia- would be seating for more than 2000 and have change facilities, maybe even a food stand or two.

Interesting that the "list" does not have the stadium that holds the title for largest crowd in Canada. 72000. Largest single season average game for a pro team- 23000.

It's funny how in 81/82 the stadium was a great place to see a game. Ahhhh... yes the SSS mafia...

of course I'm talking about the Olympic Stadium in Montreal

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Here are the answers to a few of your questions.

You should merge the site or volunteer to add content to this sites' stadium page.

I like the freedom of having my own page because that way I set the criteria rules for which parks make it in. I wouldn't merge my site with this one but I wouldn't mind helping add content to this site. With that said my HTML skills are nothing more than basic with a few years experience so the webmaster here would be better off with me just contributing stadium data.

You have neglected to add some stadiums that are in Canada, how come?

As it says on my page my site is dedicated to parks designed first and foremost for football. A lot of parks in Canada are like G-Man said nothing more than city parks. I do, though, think the amateur part of the game is important and fully support the building of smaller parks in Canada, but to make the site simpler I'm just going to add the larger parks. So really, the criteria for a park to be placed on my site is: has to be designed first and foremost for football, must have a respectable capacity, and must be a stadium not a grandstand and collection of a bleachers.

Was this a project for computer science?

This page was not a CPSC project but the layout used was very similar to one that I did complete for a CPSC project. I just modified the format and changed the colours.

Once again guys thanks for the feedback. I hope that I can keep this site informative and enjoyable for many years to come, cheers!

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

It's funny how in 81/82 the stadium was a great place to see a game. Ahhhh... yes the SSS mafia...

Yes, the 'SSS mafia' often includes Commonwealth, Laurentian, Swangard, Richardson, CCR, Centennial, Frank Clair, and McGill in their list of soccer specific stadia.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Yes, the 'SSS mafia' often includes Commonwealth, Laurentian, Swangard, Richardson, CCR, Centennial, Frank Clair, and McGill in their list of soccer specific stadia.

Then McGill would a great place to host games in 2007 if Saputo plays hardball.

quote:Originally posted by djfee

Since your site is dedicated to football stadiums in North America shouldn't you included some Mexican ones as well?

Funny thing, right after I posted my message today and was walking to my uncle's house I thought about that! When I decided to make this page I was thinking about the new wave of stadiums being built in northern North America and a lack of a site for them, so I started one for them. Right now I'm going to leave it as the stadiums in northern North America until I get enough data about stadiums in the Caribbean and Central America as well as Mexico. Good observation though!

montreal_olympic2.jpg

You can get a general idea of why it was better in 81/82: there wasn't the lower blue stands (elevated field) and there was no roof.

Hell, if you go back to 1976 (since you love living in the past), you can get everyone to agree that it was a beautiful stadium (much better than Commonwealth). Unfortunately, this is 2005 and the stadium has changed dramatically.

colombes.gif

Colombes was once good enough for a WC final. Should France play there again?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

montreal_olympic2.jpg

You can get a general idea of why it was better in 81/82: there wasn't the lower blue stands (elevated field) and there was no roof.

Hell, if you go back to 1976 (since you love living in the past), you can get everyone to agree that it was a beautiful stadium (much better than Commonwealth). Unfortunately, this is 2005 and the stadium has changed dramatically.

colombes.gif

Colombes was once good enough for a WC final. Should France play there again?

Actually the blue seats were there in 81-82. Except they were yellow at the time. Those stands were always able to move once the Olympics ended. The stadium is in better shape today than it was then.

I don't live in the past. I just think that building stadia for the sake of having something new is a mistake. I can't wait until the Montreal Matrix starts demanding a Basketball Specific Stadium and goes to the various levels of government begging for a hand-out.

Considering the amount of coin the provincial government is sinking into upgrading a 20000 seat venue in downtown Montreal already with plans of upgrading that stadia to 25000.... (MsGill)

And considering where Saputo is building his new house of cheese, once stood a 30000 seat stadium that no one wanted to go to due to it's lousy location. So I do take offence to a government funded monorail that will probably cost close to 500 million to build.

And I doubt France will ever make another World Cup final. If not for imported Yugoslavian youth coaches (there are more yugoslavians coaching in France than anyother country), they would have never produced the class that won in 98. That generation of players was a one off as seen by recent performances.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

And I doubt France will ever make another World Cup final. If not for imported Yugoslavian youth coaches (there are more yugoslavians coaching in France than anyother country), they would have never produced the class that won in 98. That generation of players was a one off as seen by recent performances.

Good job completely missing Daniel's point.

But that's your M.O., I suppose.

Archived