2:35pm/et

Milan vs. PSV

Italian language commentary

Sunday October 23

Tape delay

11am

Porto vs. Inter

Italian language commentary

I saw this thread UEFA Champions League on Canadian TV, but thought there was no point in scrolling through the old stuff, so I started a new thread.

TSn

Oct. 18

Manchester United FC vs. Lille Osc

Old Trafford Stadium, Manchester, England

LIVE 2:30 pm to 4:45 pm ET

Oct. 19

Panathinaikos vs. Barcelona

Taped midnight ET

Chelsea vs. Real Betis

LIVE 2:30 pm to 4:45 pm ET

Oct. 20

Real Madrid CF vs. Rosenborg Bk

Estadio Santiago Bernabeu, Madrid, Spain

Taped midnight ET

quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

why do they always show the English games!!!!!! I guess it's Mike Hill and Tommy Smyth's call, as well as ESPN, right?

Personally Id like to see Bayern vs. Juventus, Fenerbahce vs. Schalke or Lyon vs. Olympiacos!

Well, they're showing 4 matches. So its only natural that a couple of them involve English teams.

Anyway, if anyone is favoured its Real Madrid. Last season they showed like five out of Madrid's six group games.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, they're showing 4 matches. So its only natural that a couple of them involve English teams.

Anyway, if anyone is favoured its Real Madrid. Last season they showed like five out of Madrid's six group games.

Ya, thats true.... it's all about branding. Though it was nice to see Leverkusen pummel Real Madrid 3-0!

Thank god for TLN.... Im not trying to bash English soccer, but the champions league consists of the 32 best teams in Europe at that time. Lets try to see as many teams as we can, cause they all play well... even Thun! [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Probably because English-language fans prefer English teams?

I don't think that's the complete story. There's a vicious circle effect. Yes, there are many fans of English soccer in Canada, but then it gets pushed by the mainstream English-speaking media and that creates more fans out of people who might not have chosen English soccer on their own. If a non-fan decides to watch a few games, they will likely be English games because those are the ones that are shown by the mainstream English-language sports channels like Sportsnet, The Score and TSN (where there are indeed a disproportionate number of CL games featuring English clubs). Maybe English soccer should be shown on a channel that is geared towards English culture, like we see Italian soccer on TLN (I bet many people don't even realize that the broadcasts are English-language), French soccer on TV5, plus Portuguese, Greek and probably other soccer on multicultural channels (most of us don't even know about soccer on these channels; eg. I didn't know about Greek soccer until Metro mentioned it the other day). It's not a fair comparison as long as English soccer is on mainstream English-language Canadian sports channels and other soccer is not.

They choose the match, of those available to them, that they think will draw the biggest audience. That's the TV business.

Up until last season, TSN and ESPN2 had the game that ESPN chose for the South American market, explaining the frequency of Real Madrid's appearances. TSN seems to have more choice now.

What's needed is something like "Champions League Direct Kick". Something that's akin to "NHL Centre Ice", but of course for Champions League soccer.

The CL Direct Package would give you access to every match LIVE for, say, a couple hundred dollars a season. If its viable to do it for the NHL, NBA, MLS, NFL, etc. it should be viable for champions league. This kind of thing works best for the displaced fan and 100% of champions league followers are displaced fans.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

UEFA has an online version of that. Every CL match is available for viewing through a Web stream. Though I think mostly, if not completely, on a delayed basis.

True, streaming of full matches generally aren't available until about 6-7 hours after the matches have ended (although highlights are made available earlier).

I love Manchester United. I mean they are my number one team. That said I don't know why that game was on TSN. By far the biggest game of the day was Juve-Bayern match.

Is it just me or the TSn coverage not as good this year? or is it just the knockout stages that I'm thinkng about from last year? where you could watch four game a day. I really wish they at the very least would show the games in the middle of the night.

As for CL channel. That would be great. Even if Fox Sports World Canada raised their rates and got better content. I ideally would like to see FSWC turn into a three channel set for say $10-$15 a month where the second two channels just become a dumping ground of games. It doesn't matter if they are in english or not. Pick up all of the big games from the smalller leagues and the smaller clubs from the big leagues. Of course then I would never get anything done.

Archived