Toronto Blizzard (MLS) — The time is now

Luis_Rancagua

OK so I am out a few years but the fact remains, the Blizzard have been gone long enough for the name to be of little or no relevance to the current generation of younger players. This does not mean it should be eliminated from consideration, let's just keep an open mind as the success of the MLS team is more important than preserving the memory or a long lost team and league.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, here's the latest from Cathal from the Toronto Star. He forward me this E-mail this morning.

Hey Luis,

I talked to MLSE prez Richard Peddie the other day, and told him about your petition. He told me that there would be 'extensive fan consultation' on naming the team, which would then be presented to marketers and branders for a final choice. That sounds a lot like the team's going to be named by marketers and branders. But he said 'Blizzard' was definitely in the mix. Keep the pressure up, and you never know what might come from it. Good luck.

Cheers,

Cathal

The website is amazing. What I can't understand is when you have people like Richard, Realgooner, Varsity Tyler, and the other whose name I can't recall coming on this site and tarnishing a great Toronto soccer tradition. The whole concept of Toronto International is a real dumb idea of which has no connection with the past such as those 2 Soccer Bowl appearances (1983-1984).

By the way, Blizzard does have a great historical significance for the city of Toronto. During 1921 and 1999, Toronto was burried under the worst Blizzards. The people of Toronto still recall those years, specially the old folks of 1921. Other than that, "We wanted a name which could be identified with Canada," said Blizzard president Paul Morton, "a name which could meet the perception of Canada held by most North Americans and Europeans. It suggests strength and force, which is what fans look for in a good soccer team."

quote:Originally posted by Luis_RancaguaBy the way, Blizzard does have a great historical significance for the city of Toronto. During 1921 and 1999, Toronto was burried under the worst Blizzards. The people of Toronto still recall those years, specially the old folks of 1921.

And i'm sure other than a very few people that got lucky because they got trapped together that most people from Toronto have bad memories of these Blizzards. If the name Blizzard brings back great soccer memories to people in Toronto then i guess its a good name in that respect, but if it reminds them of the two events you mention I for one think that is a bad thing, and not a good thing.

Dude don't get a heart attack. "Toronto Inernational" or whatever is about connecting with Toronto of TODAY and the FUTURE.

Newsflash Luis: Its 2005, not 1984.

Honestly, tradition is great but there isn't much behind the Blizzard name except what you have invented with an over-active imagination. If you want REAL tradition then we should bring back the name Metros Croatia. After all they won Soccerbowl. The Blizzard lost Soccerbowl twice. Some great tradition.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Dude don't get a heart attack. "Toronto Inernational" or whatever is about connecting with Toronto of TODAY and the FUTURE.

Newsflash Luis: Its 2005, not 1984.

Honestly, tradition is great but there isn't much behind the Blizzard name except what you have invented with an over-active imagination. If you want REAL tradition then we should bring back the name Metros Croatia. After all they won Soccerbowl. The Blizzard lost Soccerbowl twice. Some great tradition.

So what you are trying to isinuate from your philosophy here is that what the Blizzard have established in those glory years is nothing but garbage. If that's so, then I got news for you Mr. International (Multicultural slang).

Sigh.... Luis, nobody here that I have read is in any way tarnishing the memory of the old Toronto Blizzard team. What we are saying is that we must not get locked in to one name because it has significance for a relatively small proportion (and a shrinking one at that as the years pass) of the target ticket buying demographic for the new MLS team. Keep an open mind, what we need is a name that will spark the enthusiasm and imagination of a whole new 21st century generation of soccer fans if the club is to succeed. Maybe Blizzard will work, maybe it won't but we need to use a bit of marketing science before making a final decision.

quote:

So what you are trying to isinuate from your philosophy here is that what the Blizzard have established in those glory years is nothing but garbage. If that's so, then I got news for you Mr. International (Multicultural slang).

...which is what Luis?

I am not insinuating that the Blizzard tradition is 'garbage'. I am saying that there is not much tradition at all, and what soccer 'glory' there is in Toronto was earned by Toronto Metros Croatia in their Championship victory. Thats the truth, even if it hurts you old-timers. You are looking at history through rose-coloured glasses here Luis.

yah but Richard, then how does it differ from the 86ers going back to the Whitecaps situ., that name hadn't been used for what??? 15+ years.

When the nickname was officially coined, i didn't hear any uproar against the Whitecaps and that the 86ers brought a strong legacy of championships and not to mention a sleugh of canadian talent. it sounded like a unanimous (sp??) decision and all were in favour of the Whitecaps nickname.

Funny, Tyler claims that he was born in the 80's but does not see the significance to the name, however, soo to, my nephews were born in the 80's but they were well aware of the Blizzard kicking around in the CSL/APSL.

I'm from Toronto, I am old enough to remember the Blizzard very well Franky, and I'm not fanatically attached to that name. Like Richard said, whats wrong with including Blizzard in a group of names to be considered? I just don't care for the idea that its the ONLY name possible for a Toronto team. Thats just bunk.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

yah but Richard, then how does it differ from the 86ers going back to the Whitecaps situ., that name hadn't been used for what??? 15+ years.

When the nickname was officially coined, i didn't hear any uproar against the Whitecaps and that the 86ers brought a strong legacy of championships and not to mention a sleugh of canadian talent. it sounded like a unanimous (sp??) decision and all were in favour of the Whitecaps nickname.

Funny, Tyler claims that he was born in the 80's but does not see the significance to the name, however, soo to, my nephews were born in the 80's but they were well aware of the Blizzard kicking around in the CSL/APSL.

The difference is that apart from a two year break '84-'86 Vancouver has had one pro team that has operated continuously under various ownership schemes for 33 years from 1973 to the present, first as the Whitecaps, then for a while as the 86ers then the Whitecaps again. Indeed the club only resorted to the Vancouver 86ers name because of a dispute over rights to the Whitecaps name. The Vancouver team has played for more years under the Whitecaps name than the 13 years the Blizzard existed and what is more, the Blizzard have been gone since 1992.

Anyway, Blizzard may well turn out to be the best choice for the Toronto team, I will support the club no matter what the name. I just think we should maintain an open mind because a name must be selected that will spark the imagination and enthusiasm and open the wallets of the target market demographic or their parents. I suggest many of these potential fans weren't even born or were too young to be aware of the Toronto Blizzard when the team was in its heyday. Let's apply a bit of 21st century marketing science rather than allow ourselves to be driven by the emotions of a few old grey beards who have fond memories of the good old days.

Question: How many people who attend Lynx games would you think have ever heard of the Toronto Blizzard or have much if any knowledge of what the team was all about?

I don't just claim to be born in the 80s, I'm telling you for a fact that I was. And yes Frank, I know what the Blizzard were. I know of the famous players who used to play for them. I know of the many Canadian careers that started with the team. I know my Dad used to watch them. I also know that my dad is dead. Do you all completely miss what I'm getting at here?

This whole time I've simply said that if you name the team the Blizzard, don't expect every 20 year old like myself to know what the hell they are/were. The only reason I have half a clue that there was actaully a team to begin with is because I'm a fanatic of Canadian soccer. Consequently, I'll be at games no matter what they're called. Otherwise, how does the average person find out about this Blizzard tradition?

This is what I mean. Traditions should not have to be explained to about 50% of the people who will actally attend games. It just doesn't make sense. The whole tradition angle seems to be the main crutch of the pro-Blizz faction, yet fundamentally the rationale is pretty flawed.

Moreover, I really don't care all that much what the stupid team is named. Blizzard obviously isn't my first choice, but unlike some I will not boycot my local team because I don't like what I see. You guys need to keep an open mind, because the whole lot of you are going at this whole thing with blocked vision. Internationals, Blizz, Black Squirrels, Exhibitionists, whatever, the only thing I worry about is the fact that the name sells. So long as it does then it doesn't matter, but at the same time you all know my thoughts about the Blizzard name and its ability to do so in this day and age.

And enough with the stupid arguing. This whole thing started just because I had a damn suggestion. For all of the bull**** on this forum I don't even know yet if the city passed the vote.

all i'm saying is, it would be great to rekindle the old Blizzard nickname because that name had more highlights to show for, in the pro scene here. they left a legacy, great memories, solid teams to boot until the 1993 APSL season, god knows why (s*n*a*joe parolini*k*e*) the team fell into disrepute that year and Karsten closed up shop. how can anyone pass up on that???

Heck, the Metros-Croatia should be considered as well, they actually brought a Soccer Bowl Championship back to this city. but i think the Metrostars would have a say, esp. in that effort. i doubt the league and many fans would support the Croatia nickname too, nothing against Croatians.

if Blizzard is not considered, i am still ready to purchase my season ducats and pledge my loyalty to the MLS team. I highly doubt MLSE would turn into owners such as the heartless Hartrells. they have made a mockery of the pro scene here, the Lynx are a laughing stock and as comparable to a day at a kiddy show, not to mention, the revolving door of talent the Lynx have lost over the years, ie DeRosario, Stalteri, Onstad, Reda, Pozniak, Budalic, etc.

Anyways Richard, the answer to your question would be (guesstimate) probably 50% of the avg. 1000 fans (if that) which the Lynx get. half would know because they are over 20+ years and over. the rest are just kids that got free tix and are still clueless of where they are. They wait in anticipation for free donuts, tini-bopper cheerleaders and nauseating half-time theme events that are just soo over done. you can ask those same kids who are they watching and they still won't know it is the Lynx. the fuinniest thing i witness game in, game out is that they have no clue which team on the field is the Lynx. LOL.

Blizzard is on the top of my list for a team nickname. other possible names that i wouldn't mind; Bandits (as the city is infested with bloody racoons), Havoc (peronal interest, maybe hits the young generation), City or Athletics (the euro flavour appeal), i wouldn't resurrecting the old Falcons from the 1967-68 NPSL/NASL or again City from the old 1967 USA league. the list can go on and on, my friend. Blizzard just make more sense, just like the way they named Marlies for their AHL squad, a definite nostalgic touch which the city has embraced, so far.

on a final note; its funny that no one objected to the 86ers renaming itself to the Whitecaps (which i fall into that category) everyone accepted the change, not just in Gas town but from coast to coast.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

And enough with the stupid arguing. This whole thing started just because I had a damn suggestion. For all of the bull**** on this forum I don't even know yet if the city passed the vote.

Yes, it IS all your fault. And stop claiming to be born in the 80's. I'd be embarrased to admit that. [:P]

The vote is supposed to be tomorrow (Thursday). But it could be Friday or even Monday supposedly.

ehh, i'll c.l.a.i.m [}:)] i was born in the 70's, how do you like that, but i distinctly recall watching the tail end of the Metros-Croatia seasons. if that name existed today, i would fully support that team whole-heartedly unless the Hartrells are involved.[xx(]

Lets hope the Lynx are not chosen for the MLS, i may continue my boycott.[:P]

PS; Tyler did you not claim [:I] that you were born in 1985??? i guess that makes it the 80's, no???

oohhhhh, i get it, you mean, i should have said the MID-80's, thats why you don't recall the NASL Blizzard and it makes sense that there was no way you could have recalled the CSL Blizzard. you got me on that one. my nephews claim;) is the EARLY 80's. i'm sorry dude. my error d/t my skewed view on things. i guess thats the FACTS of life, you know.

its funny that no one objected to the 86ers renaming itself to the Whitecaps (which i fall into that category) everyone accepted the change, not just in Gas town but from coast to coast.

No-one (or very few) objected because apart from a two year break '84-'86, Vancouver has had one pro team that has operated continuously under various ownership schemes for 33 years from 1973 to the present, first as the Whitecaps, then for a while as the 86ers because the registered owner of the Whitecaps name would not allow its use (or the new owners couldn't pay enough for the rights). The Vancouver team has played for more years under the Whitecaps name than the 13 years the Blizzard existed and what is more, the Blizzard have been gone since 1992.

I still vote for Blizzard to be added to the list of candidate names, I just don't believe it would be wise to assume that Blizzard will be the best name for the team to the exclusion of all other possibilites.

Archived