Toronto Blizzard (MLS) — The time is now

Luis_Rancagua

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Right, of course. I barely touched on the CSL club. Bunbury, Bridge and Gray were all briefly with the club as was Pat Harrington. I'm sure there are lots of guys still kicking around. :D

I said Bridge but meant Dale Mitchell. His association was brief though.

db

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this is probably the wrong place for this, but i think it's better here than taking over the thread about the petition with the sticky.

quite a few people here and over on bigsoccer have tossed around the name Inter Toronto. i know the name applies to toronto quite well, but it's hard to get around the Real Salt Lake and DC United examples that sound like complete ripoffs.

what if you flipped it around and made it Toronto International? the team could have a classy little coat of arms - something in the form of a shield with trim around the top. inside that trim you can find flags of all the major groups that form toronto: union jack, italy, protugal, iran, jamaica, china, greece, croatia etc. it would be like one of those strips that Olds used to put on the back of their cars. just a thought

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

416 Ethnics

Need a hug much?

In other news, here is my rough (read: craptacular) attempt at a crest. I don't really like the flags wrapping all the way around, but since I felt like I was drawing with a crayon it's the best I could do to get in all the detail.

Toronto Internationals, here we go.

Yes I know Jamaica's flag has green in it (all us kids with ethnic names know that), but MS paint wouldn't let me put it in without making all of the black outline green too.

edit: the url and linking is being completely screwed up. i motion for html code : )

boooourns to forum code!

Trouble with this idea in principle is that it is inevitable that you will alienate at least one group that objects to the fact that the flag of their country of origin was not included and will go to the media who will lap up the controversy and give you lots of unwanted bad publicity. I think it best to stay with an ethnically neutral or purely Canadian theme for the club crest/logo.

Please no Inter, no FC, no United, no ReAL, no City, no AC, no pretending to be.

Although I do like DC United, and MetroStars. But FC Dallas is stupid and Real Salt Lake is just unbelievably ReAL stupid.

I think Toronto Blizzard really is by far the best option.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

I think Toronto Blizzard really is by far the best option.

Is it really that good of a name? A good percentage of the people who will go to games were born at/after the time when the Blizzard folded. I just don't think it's as much of a drawing factor as people think it is. I know that some know the name, but I don't see them coming just because they're called the Blizz. If that's the case then what's the point? It's a mediocre (sp?) name to begin with, and it will be perpetuated to please a certain few.

If I'm wrong then get a pile of names on this petition that's going around. If people can't click twice to put there name on this thing then they're not that likely to travel to the Ex to watch some soccer.

Re: Richard's alienation

You can't please everybody so you might as well please somebody. I like my idea for the name and crest but it's by no means perfect. No not every flag in the world will be on it, but I do think that you can encompass the major 15 or so ethnic groups that make up the city. If you can do this then you're at least appealing directly to maybe 70% of the city, as opposed to appealing to 100% on a lower level. Again, I'm no marketing major and there's a good possibility that I'm completely wrong.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

Is it really that good of a name? A good percentage of the people who will go to games were born at/after the time when the Blizzard folded. I just don't think it's as much of a drawing factor as people think it is. I know that some know the name, but I don't see them coming just because they're called the Blizz. If that's the case then what's the point? It's a mediocre (sp?) name to begin with, and it will be perpetuated to please a certain few.

If I'm wrong then get a pile of names on this petition that's going around. If people can't click twice to put there name on this thing then they're not that likely to travel to the Ex to watch some soccer.

Re: Richard's alienation

You can't please everybody so you might as well please somebody. I like my idea for the name and crest but it's by no means perfect. No not every flag in the world will be on it, but I do think that you can encompass the major 15 or so ethnic groups that make up the city. If you can do this then you're at least appealing directly to maybe 70% of the city, as opposed to appealing to 100% on a lower level. Again, I'm no marketing major and there's a good possibility that I'm completely wrong.

Tyler, you are obviously not from Toronto. If you were, you would realise that the name Blizzard represents a great soccer tradition in this town. The Blizzard left a huge legacy. If you were at that 1984 Soccer-Bowl Final, you would realise the importance of the Blizzard.

We were the only Canadian club that gave the Whitecaps a real run for their money. We built the only Canadian rivalry (from sea-to-sea) of which was well recognize in this country. For this reason the Blizzard will always remain the hearts of true Torontonians.

I would support Toronto City, Inter Toronto, or Toronto Internationals etc. I am from Toronto and never liked the name Blizzard, so the idea that everyone who saw the Blizzard wants that name back is wrong. Blizzard, Clash, Wiz, Rock, to me its just another one of those cheesy concept names. The MLS has indicated it wants to move away from those so maybe if we're lucky we can be Toronto City FC. Just because the Blizzard gave the Whitecaps a hard time in the 80's doesn't mean we can't move on from that name. The Blizzard were great, but that chapter is closed now folks.

Blizzard 1979 to 1993 R.I.P. rise, rise, rise once again!!!

Luis, it brings a tear to my eye about that evening at the 2nd leg of the '84 Soccer Bowl. Not to mention, '83 Soccer Bowl when they blew it against the Tulsa Roughnecks (cool name and logo) and how can we forget the '91 MITA Cup final which they lost a nail biter to the 86ers. They did win the NSL Ontario in '85, on a brighter note.

Lynx, hmmmm....they did make it to the A-league semi-final in 2001??? i think, they lost to those bloody whinos. not many memories there.

Bring back, bring back, bring back my Blizzard to me, to me.

Bring back, bring back, bring back my Blizzard to me, to me.

the Blizzard! clap! clap! clap! the Blizzard! clap! clap! clap!

I have to agree that perhaps a name other than Blizzard would be more appropriate. Different for the Whitecaps where the existence of the team was continuous even though it went through a name change during the Vancouver 86ers era. The Toronto Blizzard have been gone for 20+ years now, that's a whole generation who if they know of the Blizzard do so only from their parent's recollections and they are the target market for this new venture. Another consideration is that if the Toronto MLS entry is not particularly successful either on or off the field, the clearly hallowed Blizzard name and memory will not be sullied.

quote:Tyler, you are obviously not from Toronto.

Luis, I am from Toronto. I moved to Ottawa from Brampton/Mississauga for school three years ago. Thanks though. I'm glad my Torontonian heritage is that evident. (I also love the Leafs, and hate the Senators with a fierce passion.)

Unfortunately I was not born until late 1985, meaning that I wasn't even conceived until early that same year. So sorry again Luis, no 1984 Soccer Bowl (another great term from the NASL) for me. Imagine that, somebody from Toronto who doesn't care for the name! Blasphemy, I know.

This is my point. There is a younger generation growing larger as the years pass with no connection to the Blizzard. I think it's neat that we once used to have a decent soccer team in the city, but the name means nothing to me. Were my Dad still alive it might mean something to him, but that's history, kind of like this old name.

Edit: PS .... do you ever wonder about my name? It's Varsity because that's where I saw my first soccer match. Canada v Jamaica 1998, with Jimmy Brennan streaking down the left flank toward Bloor St early in the second half and slotting it past the Reggae keeper. God I miss Toronto and that old stadium sometimes. What a great place to watch a game.

At the same time, I would have loved for the new park to be where the old Varsity once stood, but I do realize that the change taking place does so in the name of progress and actaully making things work. Just a thought ...

Tyler don't worry about Luis. He is just a little attached to the Blizzard. A little too attached. :D

I agree that you have to be at least like 30+ to remember the Blizzard. And that it is a stupid name like Clash, Wiz and the rest.

But chances are they will pick a stupid name like Craptors or Rock or something similar that is completely meaningless and dumb, but looks good to some kindergarden marketing focus test group. So at least Blizzard does have some sort of history behind it.

As for Toronto City FC, we already have them, Argos ring a bell? [:P]

It would be shameful not to seize this opportunity to call the club The Blizzard. It's the only positive develpoment I've seen since having to endure names like Sky Dome and the Raptors in this city.

The Blizzard name has the branding power, the tradition, the legacy.

The Blizzard is THE name of record for Toronto Soccer, comparable to names like Man.U, AC Milan, or Arsenal across the pond.

To answer one of the misnomers in this thread, the only pro team in Toronto not to struggle with attendence is the Maple Leafs. I really do see the new soccer club emerging as the Leafs only true competition, as the only team sport in North America that is continually increasing its growth is soccer, in fact, it is growing faster than hockey on this continent right now.

I may be an old man now, but back when, a member of the Blizzard visited my elementary school and left an impression on many of us which, (and the club, just by being there through the years), will mean I for one will remember the name for a long time to come.

Tradition is something that tends to be forgotten here in North America, when it comes to athletic clubs, I hope all of us can respect the truth behind Toronto soccer, that is the Blizzard.

Tradition is all well and good but when there is an almost 25 year continuity break (by the time any team is formed) there is a whole generation - the prime target market for the new MLS franchise - for whom the tradition means very little. What has this generation really seen and heard about the old Toronto Blizzard apart perhaps from the occasional reference to odd players who are now old men with gray hair? 25 years to the average teenager is more than an entire lifetime and what happened 25 years ago is ancient history. The franchise needs a name that will spark the imagination and interest of young people, not just rekindle the dying embers of memory for a few nostalgic old gray haired codgers (of which I am one). Toronto Blizzard may well do it, but I would conduct some serious market research first to make sure I was getting it right.

Tradition is all well and good but when there is an almost 25 year continuity break (by the time any team is formed) there is a whole generation - the prime target market for the new MLS franchise - for whom the tradition means very little. What has this generation really seen and heard about the old Toronto Blizzard apart perhaps from the occasional reference to odd players who are now old men with gray hair? 25 years to the average teenager is more than an entire lifetime and what happened 25 years ago is ancient history. The franchise needs a name that will spark the imagination and interest of young people, not just rekindle the dying embers of memory for a few nostalgic old gray haired codgers (of which I am one). Toronto Blizzard may well do it, but I would conduct some serious market research first to make sure I was getting it right.

My complete outside view is that this Blizzard tradition is a farce. Can you really call something tradition when it was around as a pro league for five years (and then another six or seven in a bush league) twenty years ago? and i'm not even sure you can call the original NASL blizzard a success. They won no titles (The where runners up twice) and their attendance was never really good.

Personally I think Blizzard is a dumb name and only pushes the american stereotype that Canada is a frozen wasteland. Personally I think Internazionale is the best name tabled so far but I also like Loyalists and ... yes ... Black Squirrels.

My complete outside view is that this Blizzard tradition is a farce. Can you really call something tradition when it was around as a pro league for five years (and then another six or seven in a bush league) twenty years ago? and i'm not even sure you can call the original NASL blizzard a success. They won no titles (The where runners up twice) and their attendance was never really good.

Personally I think Blizzard is a dumb name and only pushes the american stereotype that Canada is a frozen wasteland. Personally I think Internazionale is the best name tabled so far but I also like Loyalists and ... yes ... Black Squirrels.

Archived