Toronto Blizzard (MLS) — The time is now

Luis_Rancagua

With the strong possibility that MLS is coming to Toronto, do you think the time is right to revive the Toronto Blizzard from the dead? Think of the rich history that this glorious club has left behind. Think of the wonderful memories, in particular that last NASL Soccer-Bowl (October 1984) of which it was viewed by mostly here through video distribution of David Bailey. If you think that this is the right thing to do, then let's all lobby Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd to recognise the Blizzard.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I will be extremely disappointed if TO does not call the team Blizzard. The Blizzard were known across Canada, and it's a world class franchise name that nobody can touch.

Agreed. It may be time to start a campaign directed at MLSE.

db

Depends who/what is the rights owner of the name Blizzard, if there is someone holding the rights to the name and if they are willing to sell the name.

Just a guess, but MLSE may want to go with a new name to start a 'new tradition' so to speak.

Didn't Toronto also have a 'Falcons' team as well, circa 70's? Did the Falcons become the Blizzard?

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Didn't Toronto also have a 'Falcons' team as well, circa 70's? Did the Falcons become the Blizzard?

Yes, TO has had lot's of teams, but the only name that was classic and known across Canada and TO was the Blizzard.

There could be no greater name for a Canadian franchise. It has alot of canadian soccer history tied to it, and it's a name Canadians associate with Canadian soccer.

Hard to believe, but I'll support Luis' suggestion to

call it Toronto Blizzard. ;)

I do remember the Metros, and don't mind the Metro Blizzard,

but please, NONE of the following: FC Toronto, Real Toronto,

Deportivo Toronto, Athletico Toronto, etc.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Me like "Toronto City". Blizzard definitely has a strong historical reach, and I'd like it, but I'd prefer the cleaner name.

I definately would go with Toronto City FC. Plenty of soccer fans here have no connection to the Blizzard name. I say start a new MLS tradition.

Guest Jeffery S.

I feel badly about Luis hardly posting here anymore after being ignored for so many years with his insistent Blizzard posts.

But in the end, I think he has been right. The name is excellent, it has a great ring, it is very Canadian, it revives a real Toronto football past instead of poaching on ridiculous out of context references (Real Salt Lake the absolutely dumbest ever).

I would definitely like to see them pick up that name, and if not at least a name that is not a silly copy of some famous team in another country.

RE: Branding.

By all means, go with The Blizzard. (Maybe Dairy Queen will be a sponsor.)

No, I'm serious. The Blizzard is a great choice. It has tradition behind it, and that counts for a lot in marketing. And, the argument that so few actually have memories or ties to the old Blizzard, and that the team should choose a new name, does not make sense to me. If nobody remembers the Blizzard, then using the Blizzard as the name will be bloody new to them, won't it? So, in one fell swoop the name conjures memories or association for those who recall the old teams, and is a damned fresh start for those who do not. Two birds with one Blizzard.

When Vancouver decided to go back to calling our team the 'Caps, a whole lot of prestige and history and credibility was suddenly added to the mix. The Toronto Blizzard would be a classy name.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

RE: Branding.

By all means, go with The Blizzard. (Maybe Dairy Queen will be a sponsor.)

Funny you should mention that, because when the Toronto Blizzard came to Winnipeg to take on our beloved Fury in the CSL (and usually stomped the piss out of us), DQ was always a major sponsor. It was usually 2-1 Blizzards after the match.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Classic photo! Thank you for that. I've used this on another thread...but before the Blizzard, Toronto's pro team was Metro Croatia. So how about Metro Blizzard, thus including all of the metro TO area.

Agree, that is a classic picture....would be great to see a "where are they now" segment on this group.

The team only became the Metros Croatia after the Croatian community of Toronto saved the former Metros franchise from bankruptcy. The name changed to recognize the effort.

The change to Blizzard came about after the team were purchased by Global TV and they wanted to lose the ethnicity from the name.

I like the Blizzard. Like the Whitecaps, it conjures up a positive feeling from the 80s. Generally, I would be against adopting old names from a bygone error....but I think there is only a positive association with the name....so why not adopt it. And its quite amazing how many people in Europe know the name...especially amongst Italians due to the Roberto Bettega connection. I have been frequently asked in the past when I have been in Italy and they find out I am from near Toronto "how are the Blizzard doing?"

The Toronto Blizzard is the best name out there as I far as I am concerned. If someone comes up with something amazing, I would consider it, but when you consider the Raptors and the Rock, Blizzard sounds pretty good.

BTW, I could probably be okay with Toronto City.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

How about we wait for an official announcement on the stadium first?

That being said, I fully support 'Blizzard' as the team's name, should we get one.

Actually, it would make more sense to be pre-emptive. MLSE is already thinking about these types of details. You have to get in there before they have already made up there minds about such things.

db

Archived