Toronto Blizzard (MLS) — The time is now

Luis_Rancagua

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Richard

Yeah, Toronto Loyalists kinda appeals to me too, especially for a 'foreign' team playing in an American league ;)

Richard, for a guy who is from Vancouver and not from Toronto, you got a lot of nerves to make these statements. Oh!!!! by the way, am I forgetting that the Vancouver 86ers revived the old NASL name Whitecaps??? Think about that before you attack tradition where the Blizzard made us proud, just like the Whitecaps made Vancouver proud.

Yeah, Toronto Loyalists kinda appeals to me too, especially for a 'foreign' team playing in an American league ;)

Richard, for a guy who is from Vancouver and not from Toronto, you got a lot of nerves to make these statements. Oh!!!! by the way, am I forgetting that the Vancouver 86ers revived the old NASL name Whitecaps??? Think about that before you attack tradition where the Blizzard made us proud, just like the Whitecaps made Vancouver proud.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Leave the Vancouver-Toronto crap at the door Luis.

For what it's worth, here are a few key differences between the 86ers/Caps and the Blizzard:

- the 86ers were the same team; they didn't go anywhere

- Whitecaps is actaully a good name, and it describes the city, unlike blizzard, which I think better describes Montreal, Sakatoon, St Johns, etc. (generally places that get more snow than Toronto)

- The Caps won stuff

At least Vancouver had a team operating continuously that went from being called Whitecaps to 86ers then back to Whitecaps. No 25+ year break after a relatively short if glorious existence. I think it is important that any name chosen for a Toronto MLS entry must resonate with the youth of today and not be aimed at the old gray beards from 30 years ago.

And if you would prefer nobody but current Torontonians participate in any discussion of a 'national' stadium in Toronto or a possible MLS tenant of that stadium then pray say so. I suppose you will then also object to people having the nerve to support such a Toronto based MLS team from outside Toronto? Would you have a problem if I simultaneously supported both the Toronto Black Squirrels of the MLS and the Whitecaps FC of the USLD1?

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

My complete outside view is that this Blizzard tradition is a farce. Can you really call something tradition when it was around as a pro league for five years (and then another six or seven in a bush league) twenty years ago? and i'm not even sure you can call the original NASL blizzard a success. They won no titles (The where runners up twice) and their attendance was never really good.

Personally I think Blizzard is a dumb name and only pushes the american stereotype that Canada is a frozen wasteland. Personally I think Internazionale is the best name tabled so far but I also like Loyalists and ... yes ... Black Squirrels.

Amen, we should try to get away from the whole "Canada is cold/igloos" cliche that Blizard represents. The 'International' angle is one which, to my mind, really speaks to the Toronto of today, and the Toronto of the future....along with Black Squirrels , of course.

quote:

For what it's worth, here are a few key differences between the 86ers/Caps and the Blizzard:

- the 86ers were the same team; they didn't go anywhere

- Whitecaps is actaully a good name, and it describes the city, unlike blizzard, which I think better describes Montreal, Sakatoon, St Johns, etc. (generally places that get more snow than Toronto)

- The Caps won stuff

I have to agree that Whitecaps is a great name for a Vancouver team. It really evokes the seaside beauty the city is famous for. Blizzard is not a nice name for Toronto I'm afraid. It really doesn't represent modern Toronto in any meaningful way. 'International' really represents our diverse population, our global business cultural and travel links etc, cosmopolitan lifestyle etc. I say pursue the international theme for Toronto if you want a unique theme.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

anybody want to start an anti-blizzard petition for ****s and giggles? :)

Tyler, Richard and RealGooner, you could all take your Toronto International BS name and send it up your wipping hole. You guys represent the minority on this board, and obviously I don't think that anyone here is listening to any of yous. As for you Richard, you are an outsider here. In fact, I always hated the Whitecaps since 1979. [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

anybody want to start an anti-blizzard petition for ****s and giggles? :)

I'd sign that. Not for ****s and giggles but becuase I'm not a fan of the name Blizzard.

Also does the team have to be called 'Toronto ...' Why not 'Ontario' or if the name is 'Loyalist' why not 'Upper Canada'. Now that would be a sweet name 'Upper Canada Loyalists'

Hey, there's a brilliant suggestion from Luis himself....

Toronto International Black Squirels

I LIKE IT, we need a petition!

Really I have thought Black Squirels United would be a good name. Actaully any mixture of euro and Black Squirels goes well ... Sporting Black Squirels, Black Squirel City, Real Black Squirel ... well maybe not Real Black Squirel.

Tyler, Richard and RealGooner, you could all take your Toronto International BS name and send it up your wipping hole. You guys represent the minority on this board, and obviously I don't think that anyone here is listening to any of yous. As for you Richard, you are an outsider here. In fact, I always hated the Whitecaps since 1979. [xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

LOL well thats it then, call the team Blizzard. Luis has told us and put us in our place.

Hey for all of my Voyageur guys in Toronto (no stupid westerns) I think this is the ultimate time to revive the great tradition in Toronto!!!!!! You would have to be a total f.uc.king goof not to want to revive the name of the greatest soccer team in Toronto's history: THE NORTH YORK ROCKETS. I remember this one game when me and the boys from the S ZONE (thats where the hardcore guys would sit at Esther Shiner Stadium) got so hardcore and it went down in Toronto soccer history. Great players like NICK DASOVIC, JENS KRAEMER, TOMASZ RADZINSKI, EDDIE BERDUSCO, PETER ZEZEL, COSIMO COMISSO graced the field for the great Rockets!!! I was so f.uc.king hardcore that I onyl bought furniture from Leons!!! I ask you all is there any name that would be better to capture the great history of Toronto soccer???????

Here are some great pictures from the glory days

NorthYorkRocketsCSL.GIF

rockets1.jpg

metro_toronto_map.jpg

radzinski.jpg

rockets2.jpg

16684.jpg

rockets3.jpg

vanc090502-168.jpg

What's so funny here is that you got a few idiots from Vancouver coming here and trying to tarnish the reputation of the Blizzard. Shame on yous. As for you Tyler, while the Blizzard were around, mama was still teching you how to blow your nose.

Luis, Don Garber himself said he wants to get away from concept names like Clash and Wiz. I doubt Blizzard is going to make the MLS cut, not to mention that MLSE don't even own the name. Are they going to spend $$$ to buy a name the league is trying to avoid? Your petition may be in vain friend. Toronto International Black Squirrels probably has a better shot than Blizzard right now, and I'm not kidding either.

By the way Luis, your name-calling and insults on the Blizzard's behalf does more to tarnish their reputation than anything Vancouver posters have said.

What's so funny here is that you got a few idiots from Vancouver coming here and trying to tarnish the reputation of the Blizzard. Shame on yous. As for you Tyler, while the Blizzard were around, mama was still teching you how to blow your nose.

Luis, nobody from Vancouver or anywhere else is setting out to tarnish the glorious reputation of the Blizzard or demean your memories of the team. The fact remains the Toronto Blizzard and the leagues they played in disappeared off the soccer scene 25 or more years ago and entered the annals of soccer history. The only people who remember them are the old grey beards like you and me. The name Toronto Blizzard likely means very little to the vast majority of younger players and potential fans of an MLS club. It may well yet prove to be the best choice but I am concerned that before we go overboard promoting the Blizzard name that other options be considered and that they all be test marketed before any decision is made. The emotional connotations of a name for one particular group such as the one you represent of course are important but they are not the only considerations. The 2007 demographics of Toronto will not be anywhere near what they were in the 1970s and that's a critically important business/marketing consideration. If MLS does indeed come to Toronto we all, I am sure, would like to see the team succeed both on the field and on the balance sheet. Marketing and team name will be a large and key part of that success.

northboys, please reduce the size of the images you have posted and arrange them such that they don't force me to constantly scroll horizontally in order to read posts in the thread. The way you have posted your pics makes reading the thread really irritating.

out of curiosity Richard, how do you account for 20+ years if the Blizzard last fielded a team in 1993????? does it not make it 12 seasons???? we are talking about two World Cups of a difference.

for the Whitecaps continuous years???? they folded after the 1984 season, while the rest fo the league (Sting, Strikers, Sockers, then later the Cosmos) jumped ship to the MISL's 1984-85 season, while the Blizzard and Cosmos were left standing or should i say, willing to kick the ball outdoors.

The 86ers were inaugurated back late in 1986 to mark Vancouver's, if my memory serves correctly, their centennial year and a fledgling canadian pro circuit was on the horizon. Supposedly, (i think??) Langston was it?? did not want to relinquish the nickname, so the vancouver pro soccer society stuck to 86ers and they were born and primed for the inaugural 1987 CSL season.

throughout the 1985 year, maybe, db might be more accurate on this acount, but the Blizzard played as APEX and played a season of int'l games. so if you include, Toronto Metros and Metros-Croatia, the Toronto franchise lasted 20+ years before it succumbed to its fate after the 1993 season.

Archived