Toronto Blizzard (MLS) — The time is now

Luis_Rancagua

quote:Originally posted by juaninho

Depends who/what is the rights owner of the name Blizzard, if there is someone holding the rights to the name and if they are willing to sell the name.

Just a guess, but MLSE may want to go with a new name to start a 'new tradition' so to speak.

Didn't Toronto also have a 'Falcons' team as well, circa 70's? Did the Falcons become the Blizzard?

Toronto City is owned by Steve Stavro. Toronto Blizzard is owned by Joe Parolini.

Falcons folded. Metros appeared a few years later and morphed into Metros-Croatia who were then purchased by Global TV who renamed the team Blizzard.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Actually, it would make more sense to be pre-emptive. MLSE is already thinking about these types of details. You have to get in there before they have already made up there minds about such things.

db

Dave, you are the guy who has worked in the press. I am assuming by this that you may have an idea on how to lobby MLSE??? What are the things that the fans should do in order to get the Blizzard re-instated???

I agree with Luis, Mr Bailey is the man for the job.

How about if we start with an on-line petition for MLSE to call the franchise The Blizzard ?

We could go beyond this site, and start one on the web petition site. Once the media finds out, and we spread the word, we could have a full scale Blizzard.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

So when will the Metro Blizzard play the MetroStars?

You mean there's another MLS city that dares use the name Metro in their name?

No confusion like Rough Riders and Roughriders?

Well, I hate to sound like Mr Nostalgia, but there's only one name for a pro soccer team in New York, and that's Cosmos.

I don't know if the league could over-rule a team name.

This all reminds of how the car manufacturers try to cater to baby-boomers with retro-looking cars. Using Cosmos or Blizzard would appeal to the ex-NASLer demographic's nostalgia. Perhaps MLS decided against the Cosmos name because they felt that soccer needed to reach out to more than just one demographic, and to differentiate themselves from the NASL. Even the Blizzard name wasn't around for very long either. The Marlies have a longer and more established history in this city that the Blizzard ever did.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

I agree with Luis, Mr Bailey is the man for the job.

How about if we start with an on-line petition for MLSE to call the franchise The Blizzard ?

We could go beyond this site, and start one on the web petition site. Once the media finds out, and we spread the word, we could have a full scale Blizzard.

My current position precludes me from being too overly involved but I think that what you suggest would be a good start. The Richard Petty's and Larry Tannenbaum's need to hear from those that want the Blizzard to return.

A web site is a good start but letter writing would be worth even more IF you can get a reasonable sized campaign going. Ten or fifteen letters would do more harm than good. Get into the hundreds and perhaps they'll take an interest.

Ben's column was an obvious positive. Try and get the rest of the cities soccer writers on side. Go after George Gross for example. See if you can get Neil Davidson to give the campaign a mention in one of his stories.

Also, get the CSA on side. Get Brian Budd and Paul James to wear Blizzard shirts on their Score segments.

Re. the website, get a Blizzard Supporter's Club site going with photographs, perhaps some audio and video samples, statistics, alumni and so on. There are some former Blizzard players kicking around the area.

Colin Franks

Cliff Calvert

Brian Budd

Paul James

Colin Miller

Randy Ragan

Paul Hammond

Charlie Falzon

Tony Taylor (coach)

Trevor McCallum

Gordon Sweetzer

Blagoje Tamandizc

... off the top of my head.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Those great jerseys almost make me weepy. Great look. Simple, classic.

They were good, solid, clean shirts. Nowadays you'd probably add one of those barely visible diagonal patterns to the fabric to give it more detail. That would work too.

db

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Paul Peschisolido won Rookie of the Year in the CSL with the Toronto Blizzard. He left the Blizzard for his stellar Euro career. Perhaps someone can approch Paul for his favourable comment.

Paul Fenwick and Pat Onstad were also former Blizzard players.

Tony Taylor would also be a great spokeman.

Right, of course. I barely touched on the CSL club. Bunbury, Bridge and Gray were all briefly with the club as was Pat Harrington. I'm sure there are lots of guys still kicking around. :D

Toronto City is owned by Steve Stavro. Toronto Blizzard is owned by Joe Parolini.

Don't they need to actually use the name or else the lose the rights to it? Have they used the names when it comes to soccer? Cause I don't think you own a name forever if you don't use it.

The Richard Petty's and Larry Tannenbaum's need to hear from those that want the Blizzard to return.

Petty is the Nascar driver. Peddie is MLSE head-clown. :D

Honestly have not put a ton of thought into it but besides the petition I'd like to see historical data and images including:

Photos

Stats

Memorobilia

I have a modest collection - including media guides, posters and a jersey but I'm others have tons of interesting stuff.

Perhaps a spot for favourite Blizzard Stories, polls on favourite players, best games etc.

I think the site needs to be developed regardless even if the hoped for MLS franchise chooses another name. This important history of the game in Canada gets further away each year and I'm sure tons of stuff has already disappeared.

Thoughts are welcome and if the support is there I'll start working on things asap.

Bill

editor@canadakicks.com

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, I've already forward emails to the mayor and city politicians asking them of the Toronto Blizzard petition. I even forward emails to the following Toronto supporters clubs: Liverpool Football Club Toronto and Manchester United Football Club Canada.

I think the team should be named "Toronto Inferno" or the "Metro-Croatians" or even "Toronto Manic Driller Boomers Blizzards"

This is a terrible idea. It never snows in the summer. The Blizzard is a great MISL name.

quote:Originally posted by PaulLeH

How about the Toronto Maple Leafs? Will be instantly recognisible across Canada and the hockey playing world.

I really like this idea. In Europe, multi-sport hockey and soccer clubs keep the same name for each time ie: Sparta Prague.

So would the name Toronto Maple Leafs soccer club draw a few hockey fans just for the name/curiosity reasons? Maybe.

quote:Originally posted by Luis_Rancagua

Guys, I've already forward emails to the mayor and city politicians asking them of the Toronto Blizzard petition. I even forward emails to the following Toronto supporters clubs: Liverpool Football Club Toronto and Manchester United Football Club Canada.

Luis,

I don't think this is really a political matter. This has to be grass roots fan based. The Supporters Clubs are a good idea.

db

Guys, I got wonderful news from Toronto Star's soccer news reporter Cathal Kelly. I've explained to him through an e-mail about our petition. This is what he had to say:

Hey Luis,

I'm going to talk to the guys at MLSE in a couple of days. I'll ask them about it and let you know what they said.

Cheers,

Cathal

-------------------------

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Thursday, October 20, 2005 9:41 AM

To: Kelly, Cathal

Subject: Toronto Blizzard (MLS)

Cathal,

We, the soccer fans of Toronto have launched a petition campaign to bring back the old NASL name Toronto Blizzard. What we are trying to do is lobby Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment LTD to recognise the name Blizzard.

Here is the site of our online petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/blizzardsoccer/

To the good-old days

Cheers,

Luis

Archived