New Greek God - Thunder Dan video

Elias

newego_LARGE_t_284127_fernandez_paiok30093005_type11104.jpg

PAOK fans are in love with him.

'>Thunder Dan Video - It's only 19 seconds and a pretty quick download. It's a Windows Media Player file.

Shows him making a real nice save in the first half. Then the two PAOK goals.

Then an unbelievable sequence in the final minutes. It was 2-2 (PAOK went through on away goals). They were down 3 men at the end when he made the saves (2 reds and 1 guy was injured after they had used all their subs). Granted the Ukrainian guys choked, but they were still amazing saves.

Has he been capped? Cause why do they call him Portuguese over there? I know it looks better than calling him Canadian, but still.

Just so people, particularly those on dialup, don't download the same thing twice, note that this is the same video that was posted in the Canadians abroad September 23-29 thread.

They call him Portuguese because he has a Portuguese passport and uses it to play as an EU citizen. Or at least that's usually how these things work - Jeffrey will correct me if I'm wrong.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Just so people, particularly those on dialup, don't download the same thing twice, note that this is the same video that was posted in the Canadians abroad September 23-29 thread.

They call him Portuguese because he has a Portuguese passport and uses it to play as an EU citizen. Or at least that's usually how these things work - Jeffrey will correct me if I'm wrong.

I am thinking about another player who gets the same treatment, but forget who. A Canadian player identified by his Euro passport. Klukowski maybe?

If we'd cap him they would call him a "Canadian international" and forget about what passport he uses to play in Europe without being considered a foreigner.

The kick save is quite nice, a very good save to watch.

The triple save is create by a bad rebound by Fernandes, but it's still nice to watch that highlight.

While I agree that our GK situation is improving I feel that we need to have a keeper by 2008 who can at least start at the Championship level in England if we want to have a chance to qualify.

I also agree that Greek first division is at least equal to if not superior than the Championship especially a bigger club like PAOK. He is not yet a steady starter but seems to be making strides to winning this place. Unless he has club commitments I would not understand his not being called against Luxembourg and at least playing one half.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

:D Oops. I guess it would have made sense to check that thread. Sorry.

So he hasn't played for Canada yet? People around here have been talking about him for 3-4 years now no?

quote:Originally posted by loyola

The triple save is create by a bad rebound by Fernandes, but it's still nice to watch that highlight.

Yeah, plus it's actually called offside. I would have loved to see them call off a goal at that point in the game, how do you say riots in Ukrainian?

The Luxembourg match is on an international date, it's when UEFA will be playing their 2nd-place playoffs so I doubt there are any Greek league matches on either the previous Saturday or on Wednesday. So I don't see why he shouldn't get a shot? Especially if he keeps playing.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Elias

:D Oops. I guess it would have made sense to check that thread. Sorry.

So he hasn't played for Canada yet? People around here have been talking about him for 3-4 years now no?

Yeah, plus it's actually called offside. I would have loved to see them call off a goal at that point in the game, how do you say riots in Ukrainian?

The Luxembourg match is on an international date, it's when UEFA will be playing their 2nd-place playoffs so I doubt there are any Greek league matches on either the previous Saturday or on Wednesday. So I don't see why he shouldn't get a shot? Especially if he keeps playing.

Kenny ends his season on the 22nd of this month. That means a three week wait for Lux. Maybe he'll want to be off.

Lars and Tromso go to the 29th, but depending on results they may have a playoff to avoid relegation, they are just above that spot right now. In any case, they are still going to be playing the UEFA group well after their season ends (how in hell are they going to play in late November above the Arctic Circle, could be fun). There are of course no UEFA matches on FIFA dates.

As mentioned, the Lux date is a FIFA date, all of Greek first division stops.

If anyone is concerned about club committments and FIFA dates, we are going to have to ask why Lars refused the Spain call-up when his club had no game that weekend for such reasons. If he is so keen about playing for Canada couldn't he have come out? And Stalteri too. No club committments and he stayed home. I don't quite grasp the logic of Yallop accepting such refusals when the excuses are so lame, while it seems on other players he is unreasonably hard.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

If anyone is concerned about club committments and FIFA dates, we are going to have to ask why Lars refused the Spain call-up when his club had no game that weekend for such reasons. If he is so keen about playing for Canada couldn't he have come out? And Stalteri too. No club committments and he stayed home. I don't quite grasp the logic of Yallop accepting such refusals when the excuses are so lame, while it seems on other players he is unreasonably hard.

Jeffrey, Lars and Paul were just getting settled at their clubs, and

Paul was just getting over an injury. Since it was a friendly, Yallop

allowed their "refusals" and thus allowed him to see other players

like Kenny, Julian, Klukowski and a few others.

Canada doesn't have the luxuary of a Spain where it can call up any player and it becomes an honour to represent despite club pressures.

I do get frustrated when we can't get EVERYBODY we want to play in

our A-team, but I can only understand. As for other players like

Aguiar, well, you'd get 2 versions of the story and he doesn't want

to play anymore. Yallop has some strange logic sometimes, but that's

like any other coach.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by redhat

Jeffrey, Lars and Paul were just getting settled at their clubs, and

Paul was just getting over an injury. Since it was a friendly, Yallop

allowed their "refusals" and thus allowed him to see other players

like Kenny, Julian, Klukowski and a few others.

Canada doesn't have the luxuary of a Spain where it can call up any player and it becomes an honour to represent despite club pressures.

I do get frustrated when we can't get EVERYBODY we want to play in

our A-team, but I can only understand. As for other players like

Aguiar, well, you'd get 2 versions of the story and he doesn't want

to play anymore. Yallop has some strange logic sometimes, but that's

like any other coach.

I don't know, this business of settling into your club is pretty weak. I mean, if you have a game, if you are not starting and fear for your place, if you are in a contract negotiation even. But if settling in is valid, then any club excuse is valid, like hey, we lost last week, hey, we have a new coach. And so on.

The clubs in this case are in top flight and have the dates off. For international matches, friendlies and official. The player could always come in to the camp a bit late, in any case it is four or five days.

As is the merit of Kenny is that his club had a game the next day -after Spain- he actually played, they are fighting to avoid relegation, he is on loan and his contract situation is iffy. He had some real excuses and came out regardless, which I give him a lot of credit for.

quote:Originally posted by Manuel

I would think that the greek first division is a higher level of play than the Championship level. Englis soccer is overrated.

Not that I know dick about Greek football but probably yes and no. There are a Hell of a lot of teams in the English 1st. Some odviously are in over their heads while others are not and still others can challenge late into the FA Cup against Prem. sides.

Overall it's still one of the better leagues in the world and MOSTLY a very entertaining watch although the predominate style is seen as maybe more energy than grace.

Back to Fernandes. Nice to see he's getting a real chance to leave a footprint. And it would be nice to see him do a half against Lux. but I'm not sure how much we'll be able to draw from that. Since it looks to be that FY will bring a very strong side I'm not expecting the keeps (and I hope it will be keeps) to have too much work.

Always side with the players during the Club vs Country debates. Nothing is ever black and white or even grey. It's a rainbow coat the politics at club level and depending how the light hits it and where you're standing or if a breeze flutters the fabric what looked yellow is now blue, but only for an instant before it all goes black. I like to imagine it as the very worse office enviroment gone mad. You know, where every gesture, word and non-action gets broken down into sixteen different meanings by eleven different people. Complicated stuff sometimes. A real tight-rope walk.

PAOK tied 2-2 at home to Larisa today, at best a middle of the pack team. Pretty disappointing result for them.

Larisa opened the scoring in the 2nd minute on an own goal when a PAOK defender passed it back to Fernandes. But most of the fans don't blame Fernandes. Larisa tied it in injury time with an "amazing goal" so it seems he had a half-decent game.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Not that I know dick about Greek football but probably yes and no. There are a Hell of a lot of teams in the English 1st. Some odviously are in over their heads while others are not and still others can challenge late into the FA Cup against Prem. sides.

And Cheeta knows a lot about dick.

I also know little about Greek football. All I know is that a striker at Crystal Palace, Sandor Torghelle, couldn't get a game in at Palace, so was loaned out to Panananaramabananathanaikos for a season-long loan this year and is getting regular starts, including in the Champions League.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the Championship is stronger than the Greek first division. Could mean that the Palace manager doesn't rate him, or that his style (diving) is more suited to the Greek league, etc. etc.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by sstackho

And Cheeta knows a lot about dick.

I also know little about Greek football. All I know is that a striker at Crystal Palace, Sandor Torghelle, couldn't get a game in at Palace, so was loaned out to Panananaramabananathanaikos for a season-long loan this year and is getting regular starts, including in the Champions League.

But that doesn't necessarily mean the Championship is stronger than the Greek first division. Could mean that the Palace manager doesn't rate him, or that his style (diving) is more suited to the Greek league, etc. etc.

That post is like saying you know a lot about adults cause you watched Pee Wee Herman when you were a kid.

The top 3-4 teams in Greece (including Paok) could likely stay up in EPL, most of the others are at the level of a 2nd tier in England, Spain, Germany. Greek club results in Europe are quite good in recent years, and though there is probably a big drop off after mid-table Greece, you can see that the historically weaker teams are not that much so anymore.

I've seen 2nd tier in England, it is plain mediocre football, though there are a few good players in there.

Archived