Chances that sportsnet will broadcast Lux game?

Derosario23

Now as we all know Sportsnet say they are the leading broadcast station for the CSA but it seems as though they always put the WNT over the mens

It's been a while since they broadcasted a live friendly and im questioning whether I have to start searching again for a bar or will sportsnet will actually get their act together. What are your thoughts guys maybe you can shed some light on this, even though I probably know the answer :)

Well, I would say pretty low. I would say it is doubtful that the match (Wednesday, November 16)will be broadcast anywhere at all, as even the interest in tiny Luxembourg will be low. Even if broadcast internally in Luxembourg, I would say the chances of it being anywhere on any satellite would be nil.

If a station in Luxembourg decides to broadcast it internally, however, the odds would be higher, as I guess the broadcast rights cost for a feed for Sportsnet would be lower. They may feel the interest is lower especially for this match, especially also given that the second leg of the Euro WCQ playoffs will be at that time as well. So even if they would pick it up, I expect it would be delayed. {However, thankfully there is no baseball then and the Raptors play much later that day.}

But, who knows?

Strong odds are: no satellite, no Sportsnet and no possible net feed or stream after. I think the best we can hopefor is video highlights.

Not sure what the domestic broadcast situation is like in Luxembourg, but it would not surprise me if the domestic broadcast is dependant upon Sportsnet ponying up enough to off-set a relatively large portion of the domestic broadcast cost. I am suspecting that Sportsnet is not willing to pay as much as the host broadcaster would need and so it may not be broadcast at all domestically.

Even if the game is not on local TV, it is likely that some local news/sports organization will have someone on hand to tape (not broadcast) the game, in order to be able to provide highlights to local sportscasts. Either way, a tape of the game will exist, although it may not have play by play audio. If anyone has contacts in Lux, it may be possible to work out some way of getting hold of a torrent file.

Don't waste time with sportsnet, for all intents and purposes the Voyageurs are Canada's MNT lead broadcaster :-)

If I may quote what G.D. told me personally some weeks ago is that Sportsnet continually run into the problem that European broadcaster right owners ask for sums which are beyond what Sportsnet can afford. This prices although are standard in Europe are not so for our market. And as long as European countries pay that, they have no interest in considering a fraction of that as offered by Sportsnet. In other words the Europeans don't give a sh-t about Canada. Only when the right-owners cannot sell more rights, they will take what Canada offers as something is better than nothing. That is why sometimes these negotiations go on to the last minute.

If I may quote what G.D. told me personally some weeks ago is that Sportsnet continually run into the problem that European broadcaster right owners ask for sums which are beyond what Sportsnet can afford. This prices although are standard in Europe are not so for our market. And as long as European countries pay that, they have no interest in considering a fraction of that as offered by Sportsnet. In other words the Europeans don't give a sh-t about Canada. Only when the right-owners cannot sell more rights, they will take what Canada offers as something is better than nothing. That is why sometimes these negotiations go on to the last minute.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

From what I know about the holder of the rights to Spain games, a group named Santa Monica, they will negotiate until the last minute but in the end will tend to accept what can be paid. This occured with the final of the Copa del Rey last season in Spain, as TVE did not want to buy it from them, a Betis-Osasuna final not being particularly attractive for them. The question was only resolved by an agreement with another private station (Antena 3 think it was) a day or two before the match.

All this, along with the fact that Santa Monica has a lucrative contract with the Spanish national team, makes me think that the error was Sportsnet's. They simply do not understand negotiating in different contexts. If they had held out for the match live, offering just a bit more than what they paid in the end for the match tape delayed, I am sure that Santa Monica would have said yes in the end. So negotiating to the last minute. It is just a feed in the end, and then you advertise it hard for a short period, reschedule what you have in a block that is afternoon on a Saturday. For me it is not a question of them not "giving a sh-t" about Canada, it is a question of Sportsnet not knowing how to negotiate rights when they can be had relatively cheaply, as long as you hang in there.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by The Ref

You may be right Jeffrey S., I am just telling what Gerry told me. I did not add anything to it.

Hell, I am speculating, I may be wrong. I suppose you can negotiate a key game like the final of the Spain Cup to the last minute as you know your public is aware of the game, and that they'll watch, and you can get away with rescheduling. Perhaps Sportsnet needed a minimum time to advertise, and negotiating until too late meant it would be tough to find sponsors and convince folks to watch, plus fend off those bothered because their fav sport was bounced. But it is just how I think it works with the particular holder of rights for the Spain national team.

Still, I know that Santa Monica has sharply dropped what they've asked for in the past because those Cup final numbers were all over the press, and they reduced their initial asking figure by two thirds.

Archived