Pictures of all stadia to be used in the GC

Paddy

Only 130$ Million US. But that's for the whole facilities. The Home Depot Center is also the Olympic Training Center now. Gee. Why can't we combine something like that with Olympics Canada?? Throw in some residential components like in New Jersey. Only in Canada...

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

Only 130$ Million US. But that's for the whole facilities. The Home Depot Center is also the Olympic Training Center now. Gee. Why can't we combine something like that with Olympics Canada?? Throw in some residential components like in New Jersey. Only in Canada...

a track around the pitch

The LA Coliseum blurb:

Arguably, the Coliseum has been the site of more major international soccer matches than any other venue in the world, including the 1996 and 1998 CONCACAF Gold Cup™ final matches (Mexico vs. Brazil in '96, Mexico vs. USA in '98), each drawing sellout crowds of more than 90,000, a 1999 match that featured Mexico vs. Argentina, also in front of more than 90,000 and the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup™. In addition, the Coliseum has hosted countless other matches featuring both National and club teams from North, Central and South America, Europe and Asia, including the Manchester United’s 2003 Los Angeles match against Club America and the Korean National team’s 2005 competition vs. Colombia and Paraguay.

You have to love the humility of the Americans. I would say it is very arguable whether the LA Coliseum has been "the site of more major international soccer matches than any other venue in the world."

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The LA Coliseum blurb:

Arguably, the Coliseum has been the site of more major international soccer matches than any other venue in the world, including the 1996 and 1998 CONCACAF Gold Cup™ final matches (Mexico vs. Brazil in '96, Mexico vs. USA in '98), each drawing sellout crowds of more than 90,000, a 1999 match that featured Mexico vs. Argentina, also in front of more than 90,000 and the 2000 CONCACAF Gold Cup™. In addition, the Coliseum has hosted countless other matches featuring both National and club teams from North, Central and South America, Europe and Asia, including the Manchester United’s 2003 Los Angeles match against Club America and the Korean National team’s 2005 competition vs. Colombia and Paraguay.

You have to love the humility of the Americans. I would say it is very arguable whether the LA Coliseum has been "the site of more major international soccer matches than any other venue in the world."

Yeah, I started laughing when I saw that one.

Did it not also host the 94 WC final?

It's also funny that it doesn't mention at that 2000 final their were only like 2 000 people or whatever there.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

However, technically-speaking, how many stadiums have held more than one continental final?

Well, not only has Azteca hosted two Gold Cup finals, it has also hosted two World Cup finals. Case closed.

I don't see how that LA Coliseum claim is even arguable with a straight face. Their evidence: three Gold Cups and a bunch of friendlies??? That's ridiculous. Do we have to run off the list of matches that have been played at the world's great stadiums?

(Although, the LA Coliseum does get special bonus points for hosting our Gold Cup win. :D)

Archived