Canadians abroad: May 27 - June 2, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

None.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for May 27 - June 2, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Guest Jeffery S.

Klukowski played 90 but Bruges fell in a surprise loss to Germinal Beerschot in the Belgian Cup final. The winners went up first half, Bruges got one back, but G. Beerschot scored to take the Cup. Reports say another defender blew the mark on the 2nd goal, so Klukowski was not to blame. Too bad, though, missing out on a double after just joining the club.

In Norway all our Canucks go 90 minutes with mixed results:

Odd Grenland/Oliver Occean continue to struggle as RBK thrash them 5-0. OO continues to find the net elusive.

Friend scores his 3rd of the season, as Molde tie Bodo/Glimt 1-1.

Bernier/Tromso tie Lillestrom 1-1.

Boden (Stamatopoulos) defeated Trelleborg (Ademolu) at home 2-1. Stamatopoulos did well, except for the goal which he scored himself (unlucky try to punch the ball), Ademolu carried off the pitch at 58 with a thigh injury. Nothing serious though, expected to play again next week.

And I really couldn't let you miss out on this gif, from a Trelleborg fan site, celebrating their unbroken strecht of home victories:

11.gif

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Imhof ended his season with Sankt Gallen as they drew 3-3 with Grasshoppers, he played 90. The remain in top flight, though just a few points above the relegation playoff spot. Mediocre year for the team.

Dwayne De Rosario and Pat Onstad each played 90 in San Jose's 1-0 loss to the Kansas City Wizards.

Felix Brillant did not leave the bench in New England's 0-0 draw with Colorado.

Rocco Placentino was subbed out in the 69th minute as Cavese beat Juve Stabia 1-0 in the C2C promotion playoff on Sunday. The match was played in Sora behind closed doors. The return leg takes place on June 5th for a chance in the final.

Julian Uccello was subbed out in the 58th minute as Savona tied Versilia 0-0 in Serie D Girone A relegation playout on Sunday. I'm pretty sure that the return leg takes place on June 5th. I'm not sure if Julian will be joining the U-20's on May 31st, or after Savona's last match.

Norwegian championship results and standings

OSLO, Norway, May 30 (Infostrada Sports) - Results and standings from the

Norwegian championship match on Monday

Monday, May 30

Valerenga Oslo 1 IK Start 1

Standings P W D L F A Pts

1 IK Start 9 6 2 1 20 10 20

2 Valerenga Oslo 9 5 2 2 13 9 17

3 Brann Bergen 9 5 1 3 22 13 16

4 Lyn Oslo 9 4 3 2 14 9 15

5 Viking Stavanger 9 4 2 3 13 12 14

6 Lillestrom 9 4 2 3 12 15 14

7 Fredrikstad FK 9 3 4 2 12 10 13

8 Rosenborg Trondheim 9 3 3 3 15 10 12

9 Tromso 9 2 4 3 9 11 10

10 Bodo Glimt 9 2 3 4 10 11 9

11 Aalesund 9 2 3 4 10 14 9

12 Molde 9 2 3 4 11 19 9

13 Hamarkameratene 9 2 2 5 6 10 8

14 Odd Grenland 9 1 2 6 5 19 5

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Julian Uccello was subbed out in the 58th minute as Savona tied Versilia 0-0 in Serie D Girone A relegation playout on Sunday. I'm pretty sure that the return leg takes place on June 5th. I'm not sure if Julian will be joining the U-20's on May 31st, or after Savona's last match.

Massive attack as far I know there are rumors here in Savona that Julian will be returning on the june 5th game at home, according to the press releases here, however the question is if the Mister of Savona will use him if needed for the tie or the win. Since he has been away for almost 2 weeks from practice.

I know his current committmenet is to the Canada team and preperation for the U20 team in Holland. ONLY if his position is not at jeopordy he would return wiht a flight in and out the same day as the game, otherwise Julian will remain and depart with his team to holland and not out of Savona as this would be his last game with the club as his contract with Savona is over and return in the hands of Milan.

I sure hope the Canadian officals allow this to happen, on a good note to have the best of both worlds for his club final game as he has work hard to keep this team above the relegation zone if it was not for him, and secondly the finally a final fairwell to his tifosi in his last game with Savona most likely, whom want him to be there, according to Julian his time table may allowed it and really would not miss very much on Sunday with a hour flight back and forth from france.

quote:Originally posted by mjoni

Atiba and Helsingborg lose 3-4 to Landskrona, after coming back from 0-3. Atiba's goal is definately worth a look:

http://svt.se/svt/jsp/Crosslink.jsp?d=21527

As usual he received the highest rating on the team.

Am I right in thinking he set up one of the goals too. Great to see Atiba coming along nicely this year. If he can put in a great year, maybe he'll move on to a better club in a better league.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

is ti just me or should atiba be our starting attacking mid......and then move jdg to defensive/holding mid like he plays for his club.......hmmm

All I know is that with these two young men emerging as quality players, guys like Imhof and Grande and Bircham and anyone else who wants to play in the middle of the pitch are going to have a tough time winning playing time. I'd play Stalteri wide right and Brennan wide left and put Hutch and DeGuzman in the middle. Not a bad little midfield, and it should only get better with time and experience.

The back four would be:

Nsaliwa Reda Kluka Jazic (or Simpson or Brennan)

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Am I right in thinking he set up one of the goals too. Great to see Atiba coming along nicely this year. If he can put in a great year, maybe he'll move on to a better club in a better league.

The local paper had a short piece on "players most likely to leave during the summer transfer period", Atiba was considered likely with Ajax and Brescia (if I don't remember wrong, some smaller italian side at least) mentioned and with a market value of about €1M. If he don't go this summer he will next, Helsingborg can't afford to let him go Bosman and his deal finishes november 2006. And they have accepted €1M bids on Atiba before.

Have a more direct link to the goal? That's just the main page... in Swedish :S.

Tiba was groomed to play the midfield general but, like so many Canadians, he's ended up in a defensive role (Stalteri, Deguzman, Brennan, Simpson, Nsaliwa, etc.). I think he's got the talent, but he needs to play there regularly. I'd love to see him with Ajax, though.

In Wales he played in the middle of the park and I think that's the biggest *****/crappy performance I've EVER (and I don't use it lightly) seen from a Canadian player. He was soft and had no rythm/flow with the rest of the team. Let's hope he'll become the player we saw he could ebcome when he was 19-20.

That midfield pivot role is the toughest to learn to play and to play well...and the most important person on the team when played well. Attiba is still raw material, but has the physique to destroy and the smarts to create. But don't expect too much until he gets better at reading the game and matures a bit. If you remember Vieira was all arms and legs and mindless aggression until he hit about 25 and learned how to keep it simple.

Archived