Canadians abroad: May 6-12, 2005

DJT

Helsingborg move top of Swedish first division

STOCKHOLM, May 9 (Reuters) - Helsingborg took over from champions Malmo at the top of the Swedish first division with a 2-1 win over Hammarby on Monday.

The southern club have 12 points from five matches with Kalmar in second place on 11 points after a 0-0 draw with last year's runners-up IFK Gothenburg.

Malmo, who beat Assyriska 2-0 on Sunday, are in third place on 10 points.

Helsingborg roared into a 2-0 lead against Hammarby but ended up doing just enough to win the match.

Mikael Andersson made it 2-1 with a header and in the 88th minute Hammarby came close to equalising with a shot by Bjorn Runstrom that was superbly saved by keeper Daniel Andersson.

Djurgarden, the 2002 and 2003 champions, beat Gefle 3-1 and climbed to fourth place, former AC Milan forward Ibrahim Ba scoring his first goal for the Stockholm club.

All change at Millwall as Wise heads out

Wise resigns from Millwall one year on from FA Cup final heroics

Monday May 9, 2005

The Guardian

A year after he led his team to the FA Cup final, Dennis Wise yesterday resigned as manager of Millwall. The move followed a meeting with the new club chairman Jeff Burnige after the goalless draw with Burnley .

"I've had a meeting with the new chairman; he told me his direction and I didn't agree," said Wise after guiding the team to 10th in the Championship, though Burnley would have won had Micah Hyde's penalty not been saved by Graham Stack.

"I have had a long chat with the players and have decided that as of now I am stepping down as manager," Wise said. "The new chairman has made it clear that he wants a fresh start and I think it is only fair that he is allowed to get on with it."

The former England midfielder will be best remembered for guiding Millwall to last year's FA Cup final, which they lost 3-0 to Manchester United.

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

All change at Millwall as Wise heads out

Wise resigns from Millwall one year on from FA Cup final heroics

Monday May 9, 2005

The Guardian

A year after he led his team to the FA Cup final, Dennis Wise yesterday resigned as manager of Millwall. The move followed a meeting with the new club chairman Jeff Burnige after the goalless draw with Burnley .

"I've had a meeting with the new chairman; he told me his direction and I didn't agree," said Wise after guiding the team to 10th in the Championship, though Burnley would have won had Micah Hyde's penalty not been saved by Graham Stack.

"I have had a long chat with the players and have decided that as of now I am stepping down as manager," Wise said. "The new chairman has made it clear that he wants a fresh start and I think it is only fair that he is allowed to get on with it."

The former England midfielder will be best remembered for guiding Millwall to last year's FA Cup final, which they lost 3-0 to Manchester United.

This will likely not bode well for Serioux and Simpson. I hope the two of them can stay on with Milwall.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Don't know about Serioux, but Simpson looks like he made himself a spot.

Yes, I hope this is the case. Josh, with time, could become a very useful wingback, maybe even play on the wing in mid. His pace and tenacity are brilliant--he just needs to add the quick skill, confidence and experience. I think he's got what it takes. Next year should prove a good one if he can stick the side.

As mentioned by Bxl Boy earlier in this thread, Klukowski was thrust into a starting role at left back earlier than expected. He played 90 minutes for Brugge in their Beker van Belgie semifinal, and helped in a 1-0 win away at Lierse (also 1-0 on aggregate) to move his club into the final. Very good chance for Club Brugge to do the double this season, as they hold a 6 point lead in league play over Anderlecht with 2 matches remaining.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

You thought so? I thought it quite poor. He put two goal kicks out of bounds, one not even making the halfway line. Given that he did not do a lot of kicking - in the second half he may not have done more than one or two long ones - I wouldn't have described it as fine. I have to say though that in the second half he was distributing the ball exceptionally well with his hands and short passes to his defenders.

Well, "fine" might be too complimentary, as he did shank two, one worse than the other. But he did deliver a half dozen goal kicks in the first half, where you'd want them. To his credit, conditions were not great with a bit of water on the pitch and none resulted in defender heart attacks (we saw a couple of those in WCQ).

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

Very good chance for Club Brugge to do the double this season, as they hold a 6 point lead in league play over Anderlecht with 2 matches remaining.

Note that the first of those two matches (Sunday, I think) is against Anderlecht.

In Italy Julian Uccello scored his 15th goal of the season to help Savona tie Loanesi in a derby match 2 -2. This tie slightly help Savona standings and preperation for the up coming match game against 2nd Place Cossatese, this Sunday who are hungry for promotion to C2 2 points back of Cuneo. It boils down to the last matches of the season in this divsion. Two teams for the first spot and 5 teams for the last spot of remaining in serie D for next year and no play out.

Forza Savona Forza Parma this Sunday!

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by jonovision

As mentioned by Bxl Boy earlier in this thread, Klukowski was thrust into a starting role at left back earlier than expected. He played 90 minutes for Brugge in their Beker van Belgie semifinal, and helped in a 1-0 win away at Lierse (also 1-0 on aggregate) to move his club into the final. Very good chance for Club Brugge to do the double this season, as they hold a 6 point lead in league play over Anderlecht with 2 matches remaining.

Klukowski has really made a great move here, eases into a winning squad, where you are likely to look better especially at the back. And will pick up a Belgian championship along the way.

Trying to think now, but will this make him the only Canadian to win a trophy this year in club play abroad?

As for UEFA competitions, I think he'll be the only Canuck in Champions League next season, maybe along with Reda in Denmark (who qualified there for the upcoming UEFA competitions?). In Uefa cup we'll have Bernier at Tromso, and Fernandes at Paok. Deportivo has it tought to grab a spot, so de Guzman may not see European play for them. Don't think there will be anyone more, with Stalteri changing teams. Unless he goes to la Samp in the end instead of Spurs.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

is that uccello's 1st goal in quite some time? i havnt heard about him much lately///

True thats a unfortunate situation for Savona. Julian role of the striker has changed in the second half he is not playing central in 4 - 3 - 3 nor the left striker in a 4 - 4 - 2. In these positions in the first half he scored 12 goals in 13 games out of the 17 game with team output of 16 in total and 16 points in the first half.

The returns games are always more diffucult as you are more marked if you have scoring power as the attudude of teams in the second round is you stop Julian scoring You stop the team! Too much on a for a young player he even took the penalty shots away from him for the team. So the mister made changes which included Julian as one of his changes to the left 4- 3- 3, and he also tried solo 4-3-2-1 as striker and outside left midfield in 4- 3- 3. and failed in these 6 games only gaining 8 points. Where Julian has scored 0 goals in 6 games and reverted back to the original line up where Julian scored 3 goals in 8 games and 16 points and two games which he did not play as he was in Hounduras with one more game left and very important.

So to answer your question yes it has but his role has changed too. But you ask to do something you do it or you will sit in red with the Mister.

Jeffrey:

Kappos’s Aris is almost assured UEFA Cup play via the Greek Cup.

Aris is in tough to win the Greek Cup outright. They are playing against heavily favoured Olympiakos.

But Aris goes to the UEFA Cup if Olympioakos finishes in either 1st or 2nd in the Greek League (and thus qualifies for the Champion's League). Olympioakos is currenytly in second place. Things look good for Olympiakos because their main rivals (Panathniakos and AEK) still have to play each other.

Archived