Canadians abroad: November 19-25, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

None! (for the first time since I've started doing this (January 30, 2004))

[Note that soccerTV.com's claim that Werder Bremen vs. Inter Milan will be broadcast by Telelatino on November 24 is incorrect (they will broadcast Milan vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - confirmed by Telelatino).]

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for November 19-25, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

They're looking forward to the Rat's visit this weekend!

"First up though, its Fulham at home and a chance to say a big hello to our mate Tomasz "Everton are going nowhere and I'm leaving for a club with real ambition" Radzinski. Good decision Tom."

From the Everton Soccernet correspondent.

From the preview for tomorrow's Norwich game on Soccernet:

quote:Norwich manager Nigel Worthington is ready to become `The Tinkerman' as he looks to find a winning formula at the 14th attempt against fellow strugglers Southampton

The Norwich manager looks set to be forced into at least once change, with England squad goalkeeper Robert Green a major doubt after having to be substituted during last weekend's match because of a dead leg.

And Worthington hinted it may not be the only alteration he makes to his team-sheet from the side thumped 4-0 at The Valley.

"There will possibly be some changes," he said. "David (Bentley) came on and did exceptionally well in the second 45 - at this moment in time he's in the squad, along with 18 others.

How about putting in the guy who looked decent in his only chance this year and who was so useful last year?

Radz plays 90 at Everton and is booed constantly by fans as Fulham loses 1-0. Match summary below.

Simpson plays 90 as Millwall defeats West Ham 1-0. Serioux not even on the bench.

Pesch plays 90 for Derby as they lose to his old club Sheffield United 1-0.

Bircham plays 90 for QPR as Leeds destroys them 6-1.

DeVos plays 90 as Ipswich lose 2-0 to Sunderland.

Hume plays 90 as Tranmere defeat Blackpool 1-0.

Dunfield does not get pff the bench but Bury defeats Notts County 1-0.

Everton 1-0 Fulham

Everton match reaction

Fulham match reaction

Premiership photos

Substitute Duncan Ferguson's second-half header kept Everton third in the Premiership and sank Fulham.

Ferguson scored with a stooping header after 65 minutes when Mark Crossley palmed out Kevin Kilbane's effort.

Crossley was Fulham's hero as they held out in the face of Everton pressure, saving well from Leon Osman, Kevin Kilbane and the tireless Marcus Bent.

Former Everton striker Tomasz Radzinski had Fulham's best chance, but he was brilliantly denied by Nigel Martyn.

It maintained Everton's outstanding season and kept David Moyes' side in touch with the Premiership pace-setters Chelsea and Arsenal.

Radzinski's every touch was jeered after his acrimonious summer departure from Goodison Park - but he twice came close to scoring against his old club.

Everton enjoyed most of the possession in a cagey first half, with Cahill almost breaking the deadlock after 20 minutes, when a trademark header from Osman's cross drifted narrowly over the top.

Radzinski almost silenced the taunts when he met a cross from another former Evertonian, Mark Pembridge, at the far post, but Martyn produced a brilliant reaction save.

Osman had Everton's best opportunity four minutes before half-time, but his shot from 10 yards was turned over the top by Crossley.

Everton came within inches of going ahead seconds after the break when Kilbane's header from Thomas Gravesen's free-kick drifted agonisingly wide.

Surely Big Dunc is worth a new 12-month deal

From BB

Have your say on 606

Moyes' men turned up the heat after the break, with Crossley saving well from Cahill's header and turning Bent's 20-yard drive over the top.

Everton sent on Ferguson on the hour - and seven minutes later the substitute was the hero.

Crossley turned away Kilbane's effort from Gravesen's corner, but Ferguson reacted first to score with a stooping header.

Fulham almost got back into game after 76 minutes, only for Andy Cole to narrowly fail to take advantage of a mix-up between Martyn and David Weir.

And as the seconds ticked away, Radzinski was only inches away from snatching an equaliser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everton: Martyn, Hibbert, Stubbs, Weir, Pistone, Osman (Ferguson 62), Gravesen (McFadden 88), Carsley, Cahill, Kilbane, Bent (Watson 83).

Subs Not Used: Wright, Yobo.

Goals: Ferguson 67.

Fulham: Crossley, Volz, Knight, Rehman, Bocanegra, Radzinski, Diop (McBride 81), Malbranque, Pembridge, Boa Morte (Legwinski 54), Cole.

Subs Not Used: Van der Sar, Hammond, Pearce.

Booked: Diop.

Att: 34,763.

Ref: G Poll (Hertfordshire).

According to a press release in Italy, Julian Uccello of Savona scored the only goal at 75 minute mark leads Savona to 1 - 0 result over Versila in Serie D action today. This goal puts him in Second position of Top goal scorer for the Division he is playing in, but also now 5th over all in all of the Serie D.

The goal now gives him at total of 8 goals in 12 matches 3 game winners and the other 3 of the goals ties for his team. Certainly an accomplishment so far this year. The win important as it was moves Savona team to them closer to the top of the table as many of the other team lost today in action.. They pick up a full three points today which was very important to the remaining sector of the 1st round he replies in a interview. The result is more important then my goal im glad that I was just part of it.

Many scouts today taking notes on his performance. Hopefully Good News to Come soon. Some pictures of todays match follow the site below

http://carta.lastampa.it/carta/contenuti/20041121/foto/2347.jpg

Yeah, a Champion's League for Scandanavia (so, no Finland), with the top four teams in each league. Not a whole lot of interest is being shown around here, but this is the first year, and it's just gotten started. Kind of a funny thing, as the Scandanavian off-season has a good reason for being just this time of year. Apparently Tromsö had quite the time preparing the stadium for their match yesterday, after last week's snow storm.

Yesterday in Italy:

Rocco Placentino played 62 minutes as Cavese got back to their winning ways, defeating Melfi 2-0 in Serie C2-C. The win puts Cavese in sole possession of first place, with a game in hand.

Davide Masciantonio started in Monterotondo's 1-0 defeat to Aprilia in Serie D, Girone E. Davide received a 5.5 rating, apparently not having a very good game.

Sounds like the Evertonians were having some fun with T-Rad!

"Up until then, most entertainment came from abusing Radzinski on his return to Goodison. The stumpy Canadian had always done alright for Everton and would have received a decent reception on his return - had he not slagged off David Moyes and urged Rooney to go to Man United.

There was plenty of booing, "who the f*ckin hell are you" ing and general mockery whenever he messed up. The best bit though when when he applauded the Everton fans as they "sang his name". Perhaps he didn't realise we were singing "f*uk off Radzinski" rather than "Tomas Radzinski". Or perhaps he was being cocky. Either way it will be an afternoon he'd rather forget, but it could have been different if he'd headed home from a Pembridge cross just before half time."

Possible Marco Reda update, from the Aabsport.dk site - in Danish. Unfortunately, I cannot for the life of me, find an online Danish-English translator. Hopefully, someone can decifer this:

http://www.aabsport.dk/5F99858C-64A0-4D17-B26F-6330E889794F.W5Doc?id=8742CD49-D5EF-4AC0-ADE3-48F283D8134C

Træningskamp aflyst

Af Martin Stigaard Sørensen kl. 13.19

Mandag eftermiddag skulle AaB’s SAS Liga-reserver have mødt reserveholdet fra Esbjerg FB i årets sidste reserveholdskamp, men opgøret er blevet aflyst som følge af det dårlige vejr.

Dermed får cheftræner Erik Hamrén og assistenttræner Allan Kuhn ikke mulighed for at se canadiske Marco Reda i kamp, et faktum den canadiske spiller ærgrer sig over.

- Det er selvfølgelig lidt irriterende, men omvendt føler jeg at det er gået rigtig godt til træningen siden jeg kom torsdag. Nu må jeg afvente og se om der sker mere i sagen, men jeg er fortrøstningsfuld, fortæller Marco Reda til aabsport.dk

- Jeg har fået et rigtig godt indtryk af klubben. Spillere og trænere er utrolig flinke, og samtidig dybt professionelle. AaB er en stor klub med store ambitioner, hvilket passer mig fint da jeg også selv har ambitioner, lyder det fra canadieren, der ved en sammeligning med sin tid i norske Sogndal ikke ser den store forskel på dansk og norsk fodbold

- Måske forsøger man rent teknisk at spille mere fodbold her i Danmark, men ser man på holdene i de to lande spiller for spiller tror jeg, at ligaerne er ret jævnbyrdige, fortæller Reda, der tirsdag morgen rejser retur til Toronto.

En endelig beslutning om canadierens eventuelle fremtid i AaB er endnu ikke truffet.

[edit: "rejser retur til Toronto" doesn't sound promising]

On Monday afternoon AaB's reserves should have met the reserves from Esbjerg FB in the year's last reserve match, but it was postponed due to poor weather.

Because of that, head trainer Erik Hamrén and assistant trainer Allan Kuhn will not have the possibility to see Canadian Marco Reda in action - something the Canadian player regrets.

- It's obviously a little irritating, but, on the other hand, I think it's gone really well in training since I got here Thursday. Now I guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens next, but I'm confident, said Marco Reda to aabsport.dk

- I've gotten a really good impression of the club. The players and the trainer are unbelieveably friendly and extremely professional at the same time. AaB is a big club with big ambitions, which suits me well, as I myself also have ambitions, says the Canadian, who knows that all his time with Norwegain Sogndal hasn't shown the large difference between Danish and Norwegian football

- Maybe, one just tries to play more technical football here in Denmark (edit- or that there is more football played in Denmark?), but I think that, if you looks at the two countries' clubs player for player, the leagues are quite even, says Reda, who leaves Thursday morning to return to Toronto.

A final decision on the Canadian's possible future at AaB has still not been reached.

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article1342514.ece

Article praising Bernier as worth 30-40 times as much as Tromsö paid for him, and calling him the signing of the year in Norwegian football. Also claims that he's the best midfielder in Norway right now, and that he has endeared himself deeply to the Tromsö fans. Possibly a slightly biased article, but nonetheles...

Guest Jeffery S.

Aguiar scored last weekend for Penafiel vs. Moreirense in Portugal top flight, score ended 2-2. The team is out of relegation zone just barely, hopefully getting on track.

Archived