QF: Can vs. China, Sun 8am EST, Live (R)

beachesl

Looks like Sportsnet will apparently cover the match live on all 4 channels, Sunday morning

9 AST, 8 EST, 7 CST, 6 MST, 5 PST. Apparently not live, a 15 to 20 minute delay for some reason (maybe to block out a DesperateHousewives/MNF type skit). Looking forward to Forrest's improved commentary.

pre-tournament profile of China:

http://www.fifa.com/en/womens/comp/U19/0,5472,501-U19W-2004,00.html

report of last China match with Brazil:

http://www.fifa.com/en/news/feature/0,1451,103901,00.html?articleid=103901

Obviously, China is a strong defensive team with good goalkeeping, and will try to maintain possession, although they have have had mixed results of maintaining possession so far.

I personally would like to see Canada play a tough wide match, and show more adaption (such as they did against Germany). A positive sign is that Pellerud seemed to be less involved in the sidelines in the German match than he did in the Thailand and Australia match, where it obviously created some confusion. The grit showed in their comeback against Germany bodes well!

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

I personally would like to see Canada play a tough wide match, and show more adaption (such as they did against Germany). A positive sign is that Pellerud seemed to be less involved in the sidelines in the German match than he did in the Thailand and Australia match, where it obviously created some confusion.

Huh?

Pellerud's involvement in the sidelines obviously created some confusion in the Australia and Thailand games?

Canada played a tough, wide match and showed more adaptation against Germany because Pellerud seemed less involved in the sidelines?

What are you talking about?

Spirited Canucks set to tangle with unproven China

Finalists and hosts of the inaugural FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship, Canada are proving themselves no one-trick ponies with a stunning display of direct, physical and attack-minded football at these finals in Thailand. But up against China PR - inscrutably organised sole Asian survivors from the first round - Ian Bridge's lasses will surely have their work cut out.

With finals top scorer Brittany Timko running riot up front, the bustling Canucks are looking a tough side to master. Her six goals in three Group A matches mark her out as the most volatile attacking threat in Siam. Despite dismissing the outrageous tally as merely the result of her teammates' hard work, the modest markswoman is quickly gaining ground on top scorer and good mate from Canada 2002 Christine Sinclair - and her seemingly unassailable record of ten.

Coach Bridge is quick to heap praise on his star striker's sumptuous skills, but also points out that she is far more than a mere goal-getter. "Sinclair was a pure goal scorer and one of the best," he told FIFA.com. "But Timko is a midfielder by trade. She is doing a fantastic job so far getting into the right positions and creating space and options for the midfielders to get her the ball. Hopefully she can keep it up"

With French-Canadian sensation Veronique Maranda doing a fine job in the role of creator, Bridge is hoping for more of the same from his dynamic side in the quarter-final. The team has combined for a stunning 12 goals in three matches, while only conceding four. Undoubtedly their best performance came in the final group match in Bangkok when, down 3-0 against group winners Germany, they roared back in gutsy fashion to draw level at 3-3.

"Working hard, fighting hard, and giving it all we've got is a hallmark of our team," said defender Robyn Gayle upon arrival in Thailand. And it is precisely this trademark 'Canuck spirit' that saw the red-clad side swoop to survive with a point after a shaky start against the Germans.

And the boss is hoping for more fight from his warriors up against China in the Last Eight.

"I could not be more proud of my team's performance so far," Bridge - a FIFA World Cup veteran from Mexico 86 - said after the Germany match." The girls fought with tremendous heart and spirit and that will bode well heading in to our quarter-final with China."

"At a competition like this, every game is going to be a tough one and the China match will be no exception," he added. "They (China) are perhaps the most organised team from Group B and we will have a real tough test on our hands. But hopefully we can get by them and at least get to the final."

Chinese stars play a team game

Though not as bullish and attack-minded as the Canadians through the group stage, the Chinese have shown a great deal of skill and impressive organisation. Their two victories (over Italy and Nigeria) were both tight one-goal margins. Also, their one loss to Brazil was a slender 1-2 result. Never scoring more than two goals in a match at the finals, China are seemingly no match for the Canucks who are averaging an astonishing four goals per game - and are the only team so far to breach rampant Germany's rearguard.

But finishing second behind mighty Brazil on goal difference in a difficult Group B was surely no mean feat for the resurgent East Asians. And heading into the quarter-finals, coach Wang Haiming is feeling cautious but confident.

"To be honest my team is exhausted from the rigours of the group stage," he said after the loss to Brazil in which his side looked lethargic and out of sorts. "After a few much-needed days of rest we will be more able to play our brand of football."

"Generally I am thrilled with reaching the quarter-finals as this was our primary objective," the distinguished, soft-spoken boss went on to add. "But in truth I believe we are stronger than we have shown so far and can go even farther."

The 21 November clash at the Supachalasai Stadium in Bangkok is bound to be a difficult one for the Asians, up against rampaging favourites Canada. But with a little rest, and a continued devotion to organised football, they may well be in with a shout.

Bridge though, is already looking ahead. "Hopefully we can get past China…and maybe meet up with Germany again," he said, proving full well anything less than victory is seen as defeat through the lenses of the tried and trusted 'Canuck Spirit.'

After Timko getting one back, China scored right after to make it 3-1 on a keeping error from Labbe. All is not lost though, Bridge could always substitute Corrazin for Timko. What does everyone think of the penalty? Van Boxmeer missed the ball but didn't seem to get much or any of the player either.

The girls played a great match, didn't give up. They had a mountain to climb with a wonderfully organized China with a hot GK.

The red card call was clearly the right one. Van Boxmeer reached back after being clearly beaten by the Chinese player and reacted, the contact was minimal but there. It was a split second mistake, which is unfortunate for a GK who had such a great tournament.

A great tournament, great preparation, looks good for 2006 when most of the team will be back.

FIFA Report:

China sink ten-woman Canucks to reach semis (1:3)

(FIFA.com) 21 Nov 2004

An impressive two-goal performance from Zhang Ying saw China PR past Canada in the second FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship quarter-final from Bangkok on 21 November. The Canadians, deprived of number-one keeper Stacey Van Boxmeer in only the first minute, never quite found their rhythm as China march on to a semi-final date with Brazil at the Supachalasai Stadium on 24 November.

The match started with a ringing volley of incident as Chinese midfielder Lou Xiaoxu rounded Van Boxmeer and went to ground in a heap. Though there appeared to be minimal - if any - contact, referee Anna De Toni of Italy did not hesitate pointing to the spot and brandishing red for the Canuck keeper. Zhang Ying coolly put her spot kick past still-cold stand-in Stephanie Labbe to see China into the lead…and all this in within three minutes (0-1, 3'). It was the fastest sending off in FIFA U-19 Women's World Championship history.

"It's not easy to come back after going down a player and conceding a goal so early," Canada coach Ian Bridge said after the match. "After looking at the replays, it really looked like the wrong call…but that's football."

The Canadians, renowned for their fighting spirit, appeared profoundly deflated by the early setback. And their significant woes were doubled when Zhang's free kick snuck inside Labbe's far to increase the lead (0-2, 21').

The Canadians did their best to battle back before the break. But hampered by their numerical disadvantage, they struggled significantly in a hard-fought first half. China, for their part, reaffirmed their reputation as one of the most organised sides at these finals as they refused to get pulled out of position. With a few chances to increase their lead, the stifling Asians were keeping top scorer Brittany Timko conspicuously quiet in attack for the Canucks.

China came out from the break with renewed spirit, and Zhang's shot from 20 yards had Labbe scrambling to push it out for a corner in the 51st minute. Lou Xiaoxu tried another crack ten minutes later after a fine run, but the effort slipped wide of the far post.

The Canadians though, did not take long in using their smashing ability from distance to force their way onto the scoreboard. As she had done against Germany in the last group match, fiery skipper Kara Lang hammered in a free kick from the centre circle that keeper Zhang Yanru simply could not hang onto. And the rampant Timko was there on the doorstep to poke home for her seventh goal of the finals - best overall (1-2, 63').

The celebrations did not last though, as only two minutes later, a miscue from Labbe allowed Liu Sa in to poke cool-as-you-like into an empty Canadian net (1-3, 65'). Coming off her line to play the ball, the North American could not take control. Standing with her head in her hands as the Chinese celebrated, the poor number-two was a picture of distress.

In the end, the scoreline stood as the favourites and finalists from Canada 2002 littered the pitch in wounded, rueful despair following the final whistle.

"I couldn't be more proud of my players," Bridge added. "They player wonderfully considering the circumstances."

China - who must consider themselves fortunate to have such an easy time - will now take on Brazil in a rematch of their final Group B clash at the Supachalasai. Brazil won the first meeting 2-1 on 16 November.

China coach Wang Haiming was pleased with his side's performance and relishing another crack at Brazil in the Last Four. "My player did exactly what I asked of them, and I am so pleased to see them into the semi-finals," he told reporters after the match. "We will make some changes for the match against Brazil…and hopefully the result will be a bit different this time," he added with a wry smile.

Once again stupid and blind calls by a referee changes the outcome of a game. On games at this level as an official you must be darn sure of what you see before giving a penalty kick. Italian referee Anna de Toni just made a guess of what happened and a bad one at that. She could not have seen a foul as replays tell that there was no contact but a nice dive by the Chinese player. After giving the penalty kick De Toni realized that she also needed to give a red card and ended up compounding her screw up. Looking back, the play may have well been offside in the first place.

Beaches1 I don't what replay you saw but that was clearly a dive, no contact whatsoever on every replay sportsnet saw. Unfortunately the referee bought it, and also what was up with that intentional handball on the left by the chinese player? That's an automatic yellow... I found the referee was inconsistent on many of the challenges, and she bought the dive hook line and sinker.

On another note what is Bridge doing with that lineup. 3 strikers? One winger as in Jamani? When is this guy going to learn 442 will win them games? Cichini deserved to be holding midfielder, with maranda attacking mid, jamani on left and belanger on right with timko up front. Hell with that you could play a 154 with iachelli and cichini workign defensive mid. I just don't understand, he kept changing the formation from the one that brought him here in the first place. And it seemed like the girls were positionally lost most of the night. So much talent gone to waste...

Very sad day in canadian soccer, but also what a bad year? First the women lost to Mexico and didnt qualify for olys, then the mens WC qualifing campaign and now the u-19's early exit from WWC. Also funny how two of the lost causes could have been prevented by proper refs.....[B)]

It's pretty easy to blame the refs. I assume you think the men would be in the CONCACAF finals with difft referees. I don't think so. We would have had max 9 points with your thinking but still would be behind Costa Rica (beat us twice) and Guatemala (beat us when it counted) who each finished with 10 points.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

It's pretty easy to blame the refs. I assume you think the men would be in the CONCACAF finals with difft referees. I don't think so. We would have had max 9 points with your thinking but still would be behind Costa Rica (beat us twice) and Guatemala (beat us when it counted) who each finished with 10 points.

Yes, but who knows whether or not we actually would have lost to Costa Rica the 2nd time had the Refs not put us in that position where we had to win to stay alive and they didn't. Even with the Onstad blunder letting the Ticos back in the game it was 1-1 until fairly late. The two goals they scored late to win the game came with about 5 Canadian strikers on the field & Canada caught short at the back (though granted with Watson back there you could argue that Canada was always short at the back, but I digress). Had Canada won they games they deserved to win (by virture of scoring more goals than the opposition) they would have been tied with Costa Rica heading into that match and not in a position where they had to risk everything by going for broke at the end.

That's not to excuse the mistakes made by either team & their coaches(men's senior & U19 - I can't understand why Bridge didn't have Lang take every free kick on the day rather than Miranda, and perhaps I missed something but I can't help wondering what Everett's role on the field was supposed to be and what happened to Josee Belanger) and no one will ever know for sure if they would have qualified for their next respective rounds had they received semi-competent officiating. However, both teams, and fans of both, can justifiably feel hard done by with the officiating. If we are forced to climb out of a hole, I'd rather have hole dug by superior opposition & fair play, rather than inferior officiating.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

When referees make officiating mistakes of this magnitude, they should be criticized and blamed easely. You don't want to believe that results would have been different, that is ok. I believe the opposite as I have seen games that are replayed because of protests against referees and trust me, the outcomes are totally different. In the case of China versus Canada, it appears that China deserved to win after all since their game was just that much better. Canada was disorganized and seldom had many scoring chances. However had the referee not made such a colossal screw up after 30 seconds, it is quite possible that the roles would have been reversed. I've been there in those situations.

Archived