Spain v England [R]

jonovision

Saw this "friendly" match on BBC yesterday. A few remarks:

- England were completely outclassed by Spain. Possession at the end of the match was 64% - 36%.

- If it hadn't been a friendly, Rooney and probably Cole would have been sent off in the first half. Rooney still had to be taken off in the 1st half because he was ready to explode. He threw his black armband, in memory of Emmlyn(sp) Hughes to the ground when he was subbed out.

- Good players for Spain: Xavi (the BBC guys were raving about him all game), #10 (I forget his name, burned Cole on a backheel nutmeg in the 1st half), Del Horno, who scored the goal.

- Good players for England: there weren't any.

Lots of racist booing (actually monkey "oo-oo"ing when Wright-Phillips came into the match), which was rather disgusting.

Edit: Oh yeah, Spain won 1-0. They also had a penalty (a questionable one) saved by Paul Robinson (wasn't he behind Lars on the depth chart at one point?)

Did not see the game

Want to comment on Rooney and his petulant temper.

I think that giving a kid millions and putting him on pedastel to be shot at does not always help them mature. Here is a case of a talented kid who cannot take the pressure.

I cannnot help but wonder if the premier league clubs should be structered somehow like the NHL i.e. with young talent, use Sidney Crosby as a good example, putting in a couple of years in the minor leagues before hitting the limelight and big money. Ottawa fans remember Alexandre Daigle?

quote:Originally posted by runner

Did not see the game

I think that giving a kid millions and putting him on pedastel to be shot at does not always help them mature. Here is a case of a talented kid who cannot take the pressure.

I cannnot help but wonder if the premier league clubs should be structered somehow like the NHL i.e. with young talent, use Sidney Crosby as a good example, putting in a couple of years in the minor leagues before hitting the limelight and big money. Ottawa fans remember Alexandre Daigle?

Yeah like the only way Crosby is gonna see the minors is if the lock-out lasts untill he's 21

Alexandre Daigle while maybe not the star we hoped for but he earned a cool million last year for The Wild, was the leading Wild points guy with 51 and scored 20 goals . The only Wild player to do so by the way and he'll be all of 30 years old in '05 . Career stats 570 NHL games 124 goals ,175 assists for 299 points (that's more than point in every other game he's played) and 174 PIM and he took two years off. Plus 2 World Junior Championship Golds

Comparing Euro soccer to hockey in Canada on a player basis is tuff.

I wish I was a million loonie a year failure :(

I would like to comment on the alleged racist chants .

Hey , I'm not the most politically correct guy in the world , but it's hard to understand this in Spain. The history of Spain with the Moors and recieving travellers from all over the Mediteranean for centuries plus being home to one of the top pro leagues in the world. With players of all race , colour , creeds. You'd think that people would have moved beyond the alleged instances. As in most of the pro athletes world.

I guess the thing in Spain is that multi-culturalism is a relatively new modern concept, sure they have a deep history of exposure to other races as you have mentioned above. However modern day migration of people of a different race is still fairly new to them so some aspects of Spanish society is still having a hard time accepting dealing with it...sure there are black palyers playing in the Spanish League but the idiots who abused Cole and Wright-Phillips yesterday would not have the guts to do the same to their own club players, but when the black players play for a different country it is much easier for their ignorance to come to the surface unchallenged

On the subject of the Rooney/Crosby/Daigle comments made above, the point I want to make is that talented youth needs time to mature before being exposed to the big time. Daigle had a lot of money real quick and perhaps did not have the same work ethic as other guys the same age as him. I am not familiar with the age rules with regard to the NHL and players like Crosby, but I am sure that his playing in the QJMHL now rather than in the NHL now (if they were playing) is going to make him better in the long term

Did not see the game

Horrible comparison! Aside from Shevchenko, Rooney is probably the most in-form striker on the planet at the moment. I have know idea where that "(he) can't take the pressure" idea of yours comes from. He's been carrying the English NT on his back for the past 14 months.

Guys like CESC Fabregas and C. Ronaldo also shoot down your theory.

lets get things straight here, spanish people and spanish soccer supporters are for the most part not racist. in the heat of battle, many MANY passionate fans do whatever they can to throw off the opposition's players. similiar to piss-bag-throwing, racist chants work wonders in breaking players concentration. most of the people chanting have no problem with black people, they just want to win. personally id rather get oo-oo'd at than get a battery thrown at my head, or be drenched with urine, or be or spit at. Anyways, we have no problem calling guatemalans 'guats' or or other latinos greasy diving pussies from banana republics, so we're no better.

quote:Originally posted by BrennanFan

lets get things straight here, spanish people and spanish soccer supporters are for the most part not racist. in the heat of battle, many MANY passionate fans do whatever they can to throw off the opposition's players. similiar to piss-bag-throwing, racist chants work wonders in breaking players concentration. most of the people chanting have no problem with black people, they just want to win. personally id rather get oo-oo'd at than get a battery thrown at my head, or be drenched with urine, or be or spit at. Anyways, we have no problem calling guatemalans 'guats' or or other latinos greasy diving pussies from banana republics, so we're no better.

In the heat of the battle or being no better still is no excuse . We want to see the best players playing the best game all else is garbage .

The forgeting that players and officials are human with human emotions is indefensable.

He can't take the pressure as demonstrated by his reported bahaviour, again I did not see the game, in Spain.

The pressure has nothing to do with his mis-behaving. That's just his personality. He'd act the same way if he was playing for Bristol Rovers.

It's well known that Rooney plays better in pressure situations. He's always been good for England and now Man United. For Everton (less pressure) he didn't play as well. ... I also didn't see the Spain-game, but if he played like garbage it only proves my point - that game was a low pressure game (compared to, say, Euro2004).

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I would like to comment on the alleged racist chants .

Hey , I'm not the most politically correct guy in the world , but it's hard to understand this in Spain. The history of Spain with the Moors and recieving travellers from all over the Mediteranean for centuries

Uh, things were not that cozy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconquista

I guess the thing in Spain is that multi-culturalism is a relatively new modern concept, sure they have a deep history of exposure to other races as you have mentioned above. However modern day migration of people of a different race is still fairly new to them so some aspects of Spanish society is still having a hard time accepting dealing with it...sure there are black palyers playing in the Spanish League but the idiots who abused Cole and Wright-Phillips yesterday would not have the guts to do the same to their own club players, but when the black players play for a different country it is much easier for their ignorance to come to the surface unchallenged

Sorry to take this thread off topic, but multiculturalism in Canada is a fraud. Canadians aren't as tolerant as we would like to believe.

Is calling Guatemalans 'Guats' racist? I'm being serious, because I've done so, just for the sake of brevity and did so with no knowledge that it might be racist.

I think I've used Hondo, J'cans too. If there's a racist conotation to that I'll stop immediately, but I don't mean it as a sign of disrespect.

cheers,

matthew

I wouldn't think 'Guat' or 'Hondo' would be considered racist, as it's a contraction of the country's name. Think of 'Turks', 'Russkies' (when it was the Soviet Union), 'Brits','Fins' etc, contractions for the sake of brevity that don't really capture any known connotation. If it was negative, then what exactly is a 'guat' of 'hondo' that gives the usage a slanderous taint? I'd ask BrennanFan to give us examples if he can.

J'can is probably pushing it though, so i'd deep six the usage of that one matthew. J'can may have a 'garbage can' connotation unfortunately.

I think some parts of this World are becoming a little too politically correct. If your watching a match surrounded by strangers at the Bernabeu its one thing, but if you're watching a game with a bunch of people at home at you can't say something like, "unless Ronaldinho can take that samba drum out of his arse I don't think Barca can win" w/o someone crying about i, then people really need to loosen their collars a bit.

To those who have been commenting on Rooney's attitude, and may not have seen the match, here is my take.

He was entirely childish. He was upset because he wasn't getting what he wanted (ie: good service from the atrocious midfield). His fouls were one thing (one of which was a push from behind on Casillas, driving him into a steel gate), but his reaction after being taken off was another. Imagine one of Canada's players Wednesday getting taken out and reacting by ripping off the black Mobilio armband and throwing it on the field and heading down the tunnel. No class at all.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

To those who have been commenting on Rooney's attitude, and may not have seen the match, here is my take.

He was entirely childish. He was upset because he wasn't getting what he wanted (ie: good service from the atrocious midfield). His fouls were one thing (one of which was a push from behind on Casillas, driving him into a steel gate), but his reaction after being taken off was another. Imagine one of Canada's players Wednesday getting taken out and reacting by ripping off the black Mobilio armband and throwing it on the field and heading down the tunnel. No class at all.

I've always thought Stalteri was a bit Rooney-like.

To be clear, I'm not defending Rooney's attitude. I hate him and Man United. But he's damn good!

Archived