LETS GO CANADA!!! PUT UP A FIGHT!

guatemala1313

quote:Originally posted by guatemala1313

I think that if you guys are sending new young players.

You guys should show some confidence in them to try to win the last game!!!

It's kind of hard to be confident with a record of 0-2-3 in the last 5, and only 3 goals for. Add to that the fact that the coach himself says he's now concentrating on the Gold Cup.

To continue the sarcastic veneration of La Coupe D'Or, i propose that Canada should add a coin flipping in mid air to their jerseys to commemorate how many coin tosses we won. Brasil adds stars for every World Cup won, why can't we add flipped coins?

Sarcasm aside, I hope that the Gold Cup is a point of consolidation for the Men's team and an opportunity to get a strong sense of Yallop's coaching acumen. What kind of team can Yallop field when club commitments don't get in the way?

With close to two years at the helm, the Gold Cup should illustrate if Yallop's coaching 'mettle' is bonafide or in fact 'fool's gold'.

Juaninho, the only one sarcastically putting down the gold cup in this thread is G-Man. Alex was being sarcastic as he knows how euphoric the Voyageurs were when we won in 2000. In fact that victory probably doubled the amount of people posting on Voyageurs. I know that tournament is how I found the discussion group.

I can still recall the comments after the win. Particularily the ridiculous "We could beat England with this team" one!

The saddest thing we ever did as a soccer nation was to bow out of the Copa America after winning the Gold Cup. Had that team had those 3-4 games under pressure against quality teams under their belt....things could have been different in 2002....

But instead we used the threat of terrorism not to go and have been on a down hill slope ever since.

Why go to the Gold Cup?

If you're not going to pursue the benefits afterwards?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

The saddest thing we ever did as a soccer nation was to bow out of the Copa America after winning the Gold Cup. Had that team had those 3-4 games under pressure against quality teams under their belt....things could have been different in 2002....

But instead we used the threat of terrorism not to go and have been on a down hill slope ever since.

Why go to the Gold Cup?

If you're not going to pursue the benefits afterwards?

Yeah that Copa America 2001 crap ... Argentina didn't enter,

Canada couldn't recall its Euro players, and every Latino country

sending B teams. Considering we were to play in Medellin, were

you willing to risk your players? It truly sucks, but the blame

goes to the Colombian organizers.

Yeah I still have the same "what if" feeling ...

But moreover, I submit this to everyone: Canada hasn't been

the same since Craig Forrest was stricken with cancer.

The turning points since the glory days of 2000:

Craig gets cancer.

The Copa America invite is turned down.

The CSA let's OH get away.

Cuba score their second and Holger's done.

Frank subs in Corazzin with the game in the balance.

It's a downward spiral...all starting from Craig's right nut.

Hey that would be a great fanzine title!

Canso, I didn't like that Corazzin substitution either but come on now,, I hope your joking with that one. If you want to look at one crucial moment in the qualifying that may have changed our fate was Jazic's muffed backpass to Onstad in the first Honduras game with minutes remaining that turned a victory into a tie. And then we all know what happened after that with the bogus officiating. Had we won that game things may have turned out different. And just for the record, once Onstad let in that bad goal in the second half of the last Costa Rica game, the whole team became deflated and played poorly shortly after that, Corazzin came on well after that. It's not like he contributed at all but by that point it was like the team had essentially already given up.

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

Canso, I didn't like that Corazzin substitution either but come on now,, I hope your joking with that one. If you want to look at one crucial moment in the qualifying that may have changed our fate was Jazic's muffed backpass to Onstad in the first Honduras game with minutes remaining that turned a victory into a tie. And then we all know what happened after that with the bogus officiating. Had we won that game things may have turned out different. And just for the record, once Onstad let in that bad goal in the second half of the last Costa Rica game, the whole team became deflated and played poorly shortly after that, Corazzin came on well after that. It's not like he contributed at all but by that point it was like the team had essentially already given up.

Yes, good note. A friend and I were discussing this very thing and each of us decided without question that the Jazic back-pass was the TSN Diving Point (in more respects than one!) I am glad Jazic came out to play--and he was good at times--but that was a silly, deadly-bad pass. No insult intended, but I cannot wait to see our young guys get stuck in at left back, either Brennan, Simpson, Kluka or DeGuzman. These are good options.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Juaninho, the only one sarcastically putting down the gold cup in this thread is G-Man. Alex was being sarcastic as he knows how euphoric the Voyageurs were when we won in 2000. In fact that victory probably doubled the amount of people posting on Voyageurs. I know that tournament is how I found the discussion group.

I can still recall the comments after the win. Particularily the ridiculous "We could beat England with this team" one!

I didn't mean to completely slag the Gold Cup, just have a bit of fun at the circumstances that allowed Canada to continue-the coin toss. I was pretty happy when they won, though i must admit that my consciousness of the Canadian Soccer scene was still relatively young.

I wonder if the same degree of euphoria would result if Canada won it this time out?

quote:I wonder if the same degree of euphoria would result if Canada won it this time out?

I will be euphoric if we win and Yallop's selections, tactics and overall coaching vastly improve over his WCQ performance. If we manage to win or do well while still being poorly coached, after some initial euphoria, I think I will be worried that this result may mask serious problems and delude us. This is a decent tournament but nowhere near as competitive or seriousness of World Cup qualifying. Thus, the same screwups that we might get away with in the Gold Cup could cost us in qualification once again.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Yes, good note. A friend and I were discussing this very thing and each of us decided without question that the Jazic back-pass was the TSN Diving Point (in more respects than one!) I am glad Jazic came out to play--and he was good at times--but that was a silly, deadly-bad pass. No insult intended, but I cannot wait to see our young guys get stuck in at left back, either Brennan, Simpson, Kluka or DeGuzman. These are good options.

I think is mistake like that is caused by a lack of mental toughness or plainly fatigue. I'm sure Jazic has made hundreds if not thousands of back passes to his GK, however with those factors tallied in, it just seems too much.

But the same could be said in the game vs Costa Rica when Hutchinson went up for a header against Wancope (sp) at the beginning of the second half. That play became the crucial point in that game.

Or The first game with Pizz and Watson. They looked like ghosts, no commanding centre back that game, that as well was crucial.

All in all, to make a good soccer team a great back line is essential, it could make or break a team. This time around it broke the team. Would make Brennan or Simpson have made a difference at left-Back? We'll just never know.

Those are all turning points within those games, but when Corazzin came in, with the game tied at 1-1, and our best forward player left the pitch, the dream was over. All the bad calls and back passes and Brennan/Bircham speculation would have been forgotten if Canada had scored and won the game. But how could they when they were effectively reduced to ten men by that lunatic of a manager? In the bigger picture it proved beyond question the choice of Frank Yallop as a manager was a poor one, and all the Gold Cup quarterfinals, and all the youth development, and all the MLS franchises and new stadiums won't change the fact that he doesn't have the ability to be the MNT manager.

The downward spiral will continue until he is replaced.

In the meantime raise your glasses and drink a toast to what might have been.

"Here's to My Right Nut - cause Craig's went missing!"

quote:Originally posted by canso

"Here's to My Right Nut - cause Craig's went missing!"

canso buddy, that testicular cancer that Craig endured is no

fuc*ing joke and was very serious. When you get chemo and radiation,

your chances are 50-50. Cancer spreads rapidly.

I'm sure you think it's humourous, perhaps a mere reflection of your

age, but I'd suggest that it would be "classier" on your part

to avoid such remarks.

You guys have never seen the movie FUBAR? Canadian classic, rent it and you'll get the joke...or maybe you won't.

As for making fun of Craig's illness, the man himself made a crack on air about it, can't remember the exact reference but something like "You guys shouldn't be making references to ball shortages to a guy in my condition!" Vic and Dick were cracking up. This was just after his recovery and before he switched to Sportsnet, during Euro 2000 maybe? It's called gallows humour...laughing in the face of death.

I'm sure Craig would see the humour of it...or should I spell that humor to appease you censor happy Republican wannabe killjoys?

Canso, you make it sound like the Corrazin substitution was the most disastrous turning point in the qualifying, fact is by that point the team had essentially given up,, could you not see that after Onstad let that goal in?? ,, Costa Rica was buzzing all over us after that point and Corrazin didn't come on for another 20 minutes after that. As I mentioned above, I still don't agree with the Corrazin substitution, but how many goals had Hume potted in the qualifying up to that point?? wasn't it 0 ?? Its not like he was averaging a goal a game here...So lets not try to put all the blame on one substitution with 20 minutes left in essentially our season, that just sounds absolutely ridiculous... There were many other mistakes we made on the field and with little preparation time (lack of friendlies) that killed us here.

I think all here would agree that Forrest made our teams 100% better than what they where. When Craig left, things did start to fall apart. I personally see the "nut" reference as a toast to Craig rather than a heartless comment.

Lighthearted. Not classless. I'd rather have a one nut Forrest than a doubled nutted Pat.

Archived