U-17 Dev Roster Named For Mex Camp/Nov

beachesl

Men's Junior (U-17) Development Team

Monday, November 08, 2004

Hart Selects 18 Players for Development Camp

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1951

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Junior Under-17 Team Head Coach Stephen Hart today announced an 18-player roster for a development camp and exhibition matches in Guadalajara, Mexico from November 9-20, 2004.

Hart’s main objectives are to give as many potential players born from 1988-89 experience with the National Team program and the CONCACAF region and to prepare a squad for qualifications in May 2005.

“This will be the first project for players born in 1989, so it should prove an exciting challenge," said Hart.

Roster

# / Pos. / Name / Training Centre / DOB / Hometown / Province

1 / GK / GILL, Jaswinder / Alberta / 05-Jan-89 / Edmonton / AB

2 / D / ATTAKORA, Nana / Ontario / 27-Mar-89 / Orangeville / ON

3 / D / SIDRA, Eddie / Alberta / 20-Feb-89 / Edmonton / AB

4 / D / HABER, Marcus / BC / 11-Jan-89 Vancouver / BC

5 / D / SUPRENANT, Alex Quebec / 04-Sep-89 / Montreal / QC

6 / D / SEON, Christian Manitoba / 05-Jan-89 / Winnipeg / MB

7 / M / PEREIRA, Michael / Ontario / 09-Mar-89 / London / ON

8 / M / MARAS, Marinko / BC / 18-Mar-89 Vancouver / BC

9 / M / ROSA, Sean / Quebec / 07-Jun-89 Montreal / QC

10 / M / LASSONDE, Fabrice / Quebec / 18-Feb-89 / Mt-St-Gregoire / QC

11 / F / RUTLEDGE, Todd / Ontario / 30-Jun-89 / London / ON

12 / M / GALA, Gabriel / Ontario / 29-Jun-89 / Brampton / ON

13 / F / BENNETT, Joshua / Ontario / 07-Jan-89 / Hamilton / ON

14 / M / SAIKO, Shaun / Alberta / 13-Nov-89 / Morinville / AB

15 / M / FERNANDEZ, Carlos / La Jolla Nomads (USA) / 07-Sep-89 / San Diego / CA

16 / M / GAUDET, Derek / Nova Scotia / 14-May-89 / Bayside / NS

17 / F / ABUSABAL, Michael M. / Bolognesi Futbol Club (Peru) / 16-Oct-89 / North York / ON

22 / GK / KASIC, Igor / Ontario 31-Jan-89 / London / ON

Staff

HART, Stephen - Men’s U17 Head Coach

BENNING, David - Assistant Coach

DEMERDJIAN, Garo - Athletic Therapist

MULDOON, Kevin - Equipment Manager/GK Coach

COCHRANE, Earl - National Teams Manager

----------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, they are getting serious about getting methodical, all the players born in 1989. One or two may even crack the U-17's for next year's Qualifiers (May) and Worlds in Peru (July).

He's probably born in Canada or has a parent/grandparent that is.

Don't be surprised with the upcoming youth teams: we ARE hosting the 2007 WYC and the CSA is making it, and I quote, "the best developped side Canada has ever seen".

Those players will be born from 1987-1990.

Some in this thread have alluded to the fact that this side may be preview of the 2007 squad. But I don't think so. Many in this group were born before June 30, 1989. Therefore, if the 2007 U20WC is played in summer months ( as we all expect), many from this group will not have even turned 18 yet and others just barely. Unless you are Brazil, you are not going to be competive at the WYc with 17-18 yrs olds only.

Some in this thread have alluded to the fact that this side may be preview of the 2007 squad. But I don't think so. Many in this group were born before June 30, 1989. Therefore, if the 2007 U20WC is played in summer months ( as we all expect), many from this group will not have even turned 18 yet and others just barely. Unless you are Brazil, you are not going to be competive at the WYc with 17-18 yrs olds only.

Attakora, Maras and Perreira have made appearances with the 88s previously, so I would imagine they are the key players in this age group. Perreira was somewhat featured on a Direct Kicks episode where he was spoken very highly of.

Attakora, Maras and Perreira have made appearances with the 88s previously, so I would imagine they are the key players in this age group. Perreira was somewhat featured on a Direct Kicks episode where he was spoken very highly of.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Seeing as I made the remark, I'd like to bring precisions. I meant that they're preparing all these teams so they can rely on a much deeper pool of potential players. Well, I assume, anyway. They'd want to get everyone ready so that there CAN be 1 or 4 players from this team on the 22-man squad who wouldn't simply be "making up the numbers".

And I just realised that this tournament will probably see Freddy Adu playing for the States, which will be interesting at this age and for us locals.

Archived