Canadians win A-League Awards

Massive Attack

Sutton named MVP, Gervais earns defender honours

MONTREAL (CP) - Montreal Impact goalkeeper Greg Sutton was named most valuable player for 2004 in A-League soccer on Thursday night, while teammate Gabe Gervais earned defender of the year honours.

Portland Timbers striker Alan Gordon took home rookie of the year honours at the annual A-League championship banquet, while his coach Bobby Howe won coach of the year.

Sutton became the third goalkeeper in A-League history to win MVP honours, joining Kasey Keller of Portland (1989) and John Swallen of Minnesota (1999). Sutton anchored the defence en route to a record year, tying former Rochester Rhinos 'keeper Pat Onstad's 1998 league record of 16 shutouts in a season as the Impact went on to break the 1998 team shutout record of 18 held by the Rhinos.

Sutton has gone on to record three shutouts in four playoffs matches. His league-low goals against average of 0.54, which earned him goalkeeper of the year honours, is the third lowest in A-League history for a season of 20 or more games.

Gervais became just the second player to win back-to-back defender of the year honours Thursday night, and was named to the all-league first team for the third consecutive season. He played in 26 games and was recently called up to play for Canada in World Cup qualifying during the A-League playoffs.

Gordon, also a finalist for MVP, tied Virginia Beach's Dante Washington as goal-scoring champion with 17 goals on the season. Gordon was recently loaned to the Los Angeles Galaxy of the MLS.

Howe took home coach of the year after leading the team to the regular-season title (18-7-3) a year after missing the post-season with a 15-11-2 mark. The Timbers led the league in offence with 58 goals on the season, 14 more than second-place Milwaukee and Richmond. Through four seasons, Howe has yet to have a losing campaign with a career record of 59-40-11.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2004/09/16/632072-cp.html

quote:Originally posted by nolando

If all of this doesn't earn Gervais (and Sutton for that matter) a decent look somewhere outside of Montreal (Scandinavia, Div 1 England, MLS) then I don't know what they have to do.

Plus, Gervais, has won this award before as well. And, if I am not mistaken, he may have won it also when he was in Rochester.

I have a feeling that these guys are comfortable enough in their settings that there likely isn't an urgency to rush off to the first calling from europe. Perhaps they can be choosy as far as their next step professionally.

Afterall, as far as pro soccer in Canada, isn't this the situation that we all want for Canadian players in Canada (ie.: to earn a decent enough living and be in a strong enough pro setting so that you can be choosy with euro clubs).

Sutton has said he wants to move on to bigger and better things. Seeing as he has US citizenship, he could try a return in the MLS possibly?

As for Gervais, like François said, he works as an engineer for Saputo during the off-season, but I'd love for him to leave his comfort zone and try to be the best player he can (and that means moving and playing abroad).

Sutton has said he wants to move on to bigger and better things. Seeing as he has US citizenship, he could try a return in the MLS possibly?

As for Gervais, like François said, he works as an engineer for Saputo during the off-season, but I'd love for him to leave his comfort zone and try to be the best player he can (and that means moving and playing abroad).

I think Gervais could easily find a club in England in the second division (Championship), and be part of the starting eleven. this would further his development. But at the age of 27, turning 28 actually tomorrow I think he may be putting his priorites elsewhere. Just the same I think he should give it a try.

As for Sutton, moving for him can be the only way to further his development. Staying in the A-league I think, will hinder that.

Congrates and good luck to them both. As they worked hard this season and deserve the awards.

I think Gervais could easily find a club in England in the second division (Championship), and be part of the starting eleven. this would further his development. But at the age of 27, turning 28 actually tomorrow I think he may be putting his priorites elsewhere. Just the same I think he should give it a try.

As for Sutton, moving for him can be the only way to further his development. Staying in the A-league I think, will hinder that.

Congrates and good luck to them both. As they worked hard this season and deserve the awards.

Archived