2004/2005 Italian season thread [R]

DJT

Calling all Serie A fans! I know we don't have too many, but there seem to be more Italians on the forum than there used to be, so perhaps there's more interest now? Surely we can put together one thread amidst all those on the EPL?

What do you guys think of the upcoming season? I haven't followed every club's pre-season very closely, so I'm not sure what to expect in many cases, but I don't think there's any doubt that Milan are favourites, and by a fair margin. Inter are practically a new team, so they could go either way (though their recent history would suggest that it won't be to the top [}:)]). I think Juventus will improve over their disappointing season last year, but not enough. And I think Roma will once again be in the top four, though won't challenge Milan as they did for most of last year. Fiorentina look surprisingly impressive on paper, and could be right there behind the top four.

Beyond that, who knows. Lazio are so different that I haven't even learned all the players yet (a fair number are unknown and didn't even have a chance to play a friendly match), even though I follow them daily. The uncertainty that comes with the newness of the team is somewhat similar to Inter's, but a couple of steps down: I can see Inter as high as challenging Milan and as low as a UEFA Cup spot, while I can see Lazio as high as a UEFA Cup spot and as low as fighting for survival (eeck!). It probably says it all to say that Lazio's big matches are no longer those against the top clubs, but rather those like their first one against Sampdoria. Massive Attack, what do you think?

Putting aside what I think, what I want for this season is Inter (because Mancini is hero no more!) and Fiorentina (because they skipped C1) to fail. I would usually cheer for these over Milan and Juve, but probably not this year. (Roma are still at the bottom of the list, though. [xx(] :D)

Here's the TV schedule for the first weekend --- of course all are on Telelatino, but this year they will be repeated on FSWC during the following week (which I think is totally stupid and such a waste of resources, but I digress for now):

Saturday

2:30 PM EDT - Milan vs. Livorno

Sunday

9:00 AM EDT - Brescia vs. Juventus

11:00 AM EDT - Roma vs. Fiorentina

2:30 PM EDT - Sampdoria vs. Lazio

And the matches not on TV:

Saturday

Chievo vs. Inter

Sunday

Palermo vs. Siena

Parma vs. Messina

Reggina vs. Udinese

Atalanta vs. Lecce

Cagliari vs. Bologna

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really looking forward to the season...Besides my Juve, i'm going to be cheering for Palermo..They haven't been up in the top level in some 30 years and are looking pretty good with some decent signings (Zaccardo, Barzagli, Gonzalez and Farias). They are my sentimental favourite this year...

I also have to put an albiet VERY small cheer for my father's beloved Fiorentina. At least now i dont have to hear his pissing and moaning about the conspiracies regarding their bankrupcy and demotion. They've got a pretty good team and should be fighting for 4th with Roma (who i see as the disappointment of the year; They lost too much heart in the team to compete, Capello, Emerson, Samuel etc)

Too all Serie A fans i hope your team does fine, well ok, not the AS Roma or AC Milan fans, :D and i hope we have an eventful (but not TOO eventful, if you know what i mean) season!

quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

I also have to put an albiet VERY small cheer for my father's beloved Fiorentina. At least now i dont have to hear his pissing and moaning about the conspiracies regarding their bankrupcy and demotion.

Hehe, meanwhile I'm pissing and moaning about the conspiracies regarding their sudden influx of cash and automatic promotion. :D

quote:i hope we have an eventful (but not TOO eventful, if you know what i mean) season!
If we're talking Italy in general, you could say it's already been too eventful, what with the gambling scandals, Napoli, Como, Gaucci (figures), etc. [V]

I'll cheer for Palermo, too. Well, I'll cheer for all the southern teams. It's so nice that there's actually several now. The Messina/Palermo/Reggina derbies should be interesting! I hope we get these on TV instead of Milan beating up someone every week.

About Lazio DJT, I think they'll be lucky if they finnish mid-table. I know it hurts to say it, but the players they picked up near the end of the transfer window (Seric, the Filipini twins, Rocchi, etc) put them on the level of teams like Bologna and Brescia. I think they'll have to have a tremondous season just to get a spot in the UEFA Cup. Lazio's only saving grace may be if all the South American players they picked up at the transfer deadline turn out to be stellar aquisitions.

As for the championship, I think Milan is the hands down favourite. Their strike force consists of 3 former capocannonieri (Shevchenko, Crespo and Inzaghi) and Thomasson isn't bad either. Plus they improved their defence with Stam, and their midfield was already really good. I don't see how anyone can really challange them.

I think the top 4 will still include Juve, Inter and Roma. I don't think Juve will do too much this year, their defence is one year older, and Cannavaro isn't as good as he use to be. I think Emerson is over-rated. Ibrahimovic is pure class, but he won't play if Trezeguet and Del Piero are healthy. Inter is up to their same old tricks, you could fill 3 Serie A teams with their roster. Finally, Roma doesn't have the depth to contend.

I also cheer for Reggina. I think they made a few pretty good moves and hopefully they'll do a little better than relegation fighting.

As for Fiorentina and Palermo, teams that make a lot of moves usually start slowly, although both of these teams picked up a bunch of great individual players that may be able to over come this.

I always cheer for southern teams over the northern teams, but I also like Chievo. I wonder if they'll still play positive soccer with their new coach.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Here's the TV schedule for the first weekend --- of course all are on Telelatino, but this year they will be repeated on FSWC during the following week (which I think is totally stupid and such a waste of resources, but I digress for now):

Well, except for all those people who don't get TLN on basic cable. Even if you have digital cable, TLN is pretty darn expensive compared to FSWC. Although I must say that I don't find myself watching matches that are more than 24 hours old very often.

So how many teams get relegated/promoted from/to serie A at the end of this season?

Nice to know there are going to be some Palermo fans on the site. I just wish they didn't have pink jersey's.

As for the rest, AC Milan looks to be the class. Superb depth. I think Juventus will be good for second, although i think it was a mistake in letting Miccoli go(tired of del Piero). Inter and Roma battle it out for the next two spots. Agree with some of the earlier comments that Fiorentina may push for 4th.

The pink jerseys are great if you ask me. I tried to get one when i was in palermo last year and they were sold out. All that was available was the cheapo knockoff shirts that abound in roadside kiosks all over italy.

I caught the end of the Milan-Livorno game this last afternoon and it was a pretty entertaining game. It was a right nice site to see those snooty bast*rds almost lose it :D

Milan should have lost but it was the famous San Siro phantom offside, that screwed Livorno.

I didnt see the Dida Red card so i'm kinda in the dark about it, but no doubt Galliani is going to proclaim some grand conspiracy soon...

Anyway, i'm stoked about Juve-Brescia. Brescia is a harder team that most give them credit for. I'm also curious about how Juve will gel after losing a couple players and adding at the last minute.

Sorry...had to cut and paste this article. The description of the

Di Canio- Simone Inzaghi confrontration was too priceless:D!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The Paolo show is back in town

James Richardson had a ringside seat for Paolo di Canio's fiery return to Lazio and Serie A

Tuesday September 14, 2004

Paolo di Canio: clearly not in the market for new friends.

Had anyone failed to spot that Paolo di Canio was back in Italy, they'll have no excuses now; the great man's antics in Genoa dominated the opening round of the Serie A season, in a weekend that also saw returns from Juan Veron and Gianfranco Zola, a fine debut goal for Juve's Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and a brisk come-uppance for the two Milanese sides.

But first things first: on Sunday night Lazio travelled to Sampdoria for the start of their toughest season in years. Lazio these days are flat broke and unfancied, and a long way from their largesse of old; they only pulled together a third of their squad on the final day of the transfer market, new manager Mimmo Caso is on just £60,000 a season (only slightly more than predecessor Roberto Mancini made in a week), while di Canio, the one big signing, had to accept a 70% pay cut from Charlton just to come to the aid of his beloved former team.

Di Canio duly started on Sunday night, and 25 minutes in, produced the moment that turned the game. With his back to goal, Paolo nonchalantly flicked the ball through to forward Simone Inzaghi, who found himself one-on-one with the Sampdoria 'keeper Francesco Antonioli. This proved confusing for both of them; Inzaghi's flailing attempts to control the ball were misread as a dummy by Antonioli, who promptly upended the Lazio striker. Red card for he, penalty for Lazio.

Up strides Inzaghi, the side's designated penalty taker, but di Canio already has the ball in his arms and no intention of letting it go. "It is mine. MINE!" he indicates to his hapless colleague. A frustrated Inzaghi looks over to the sidelines, where manager Caso is shouting at him to go and take the kick. "He won't let me" pouts the striker, pointing at Paolo (subtext: he can have me and we both know it). Di Canio duly slots the ball away, and he races towards the Sampdoria fans to celebrate. The rest of the team follow him bar Simone, who stands looking hurt in the centre-circle.

Spare a thought for Inzaghi. A player who's greatest achievement in football has been making his brother Pippo seem manly, he now has Mr Testosterone as a forward partner. And it won't be easy; Sunday, as soon as di Canio had finished squabbling with the Sampdoria players post-goal, he raced up and grabbed Simone by the shirt, incensed by his lack of celebration. So furious was di Canio's expression that players from both teams raced to separate the two. "We had words, sure, but this penalty was just too important to me" explained Paolo later. "This kind of thing is healthy for the club." Well, quite. The rest of the game was hugely uneventful despite Lazio's numerical superiority, but they can be pleased with three points that few would have predicted.

Elsewhere, Rudi Völler's reign at Roma got off to a winning start with a 1-0 win over Fiorentina, a club who've raced back from the fourth to the first division in just two seasons, thanks, we can only assume, to wormholes in the space-time continuum and/or chums at the FA. With Fiorentina down to ten men early on, Roma started well, Antonio Cassano striking the frame from distance with a volley so nonchalant he practically had his hands in his pockets when he hit it.

However, soon afterwards Cassano himself was shown the red card for angrily pushing an opponent to the ground. Coming just a few days after he stormed out of training, Cassano's latest indiscipline is worrying news for Roma, a club that has, after all, just replaced strict disciplinarian Fabio Capello with Völler, a man known in German football circles as 'auntie'.

Völler proved spot on, however, with his half-time substitutions. Vincenzo Montella came on for Vincent Candela and promptly scored the winner, racing onto a masterfully delivered ball from Daniele de Rossi and chipping the keeper. Prior to Sunday, 'Aeroplanino' Montella hadn't scored in 10 months, which may explain why Roma spent the summer trying to offload him - however, with him back in form alongside Francesco Totti and Cassano, Roma's prospects improve immeasurably.

Going into the season, the big three of Milan, Internazionale and Juventus were everybody's favourites - but of these only Juve actually started with a win this weekend. At Brescia, a ground where they've struggled in recent seasons, Juve scored three, conceded none, and generally looked light years on from last season. Tight marking from Brescia kept it close until Pavel Nedved headed in the opener half an hour in. Three minutes later and a Nedved-Zebina one-two set up David Trezeguet for the second, the third coming from Ibrahimovic early in the second half - the tall Swede sweeping into the area and shaking off three Brescia defenders before firing underneath the keeper. It was 'a dream start' he said afterwards, and the rest of the side would no doubt agree.

As for the Milanese pair, Milan were held 2-2 at home to newly-promoted Livorno, in a game which saw Milan's keeper Dida sent off just nine minutes in for an ill-timed challenge in the area, while Inter drew away to Chievo by the same scoreline. For the Nerazzurri there were positive notes going forward, with Veron involved in both goals and Christian Vieri and Adriano combining well for the second, but there were also the usual worries at the back, where the dream team of Sinisa Mihajlovic and Marco Materazzi left Francesco Toldo's goal about as well protected as a Buckingham balcony. A 2-2 draw away to Chievo is by no means a terrible result, but it is enough to spark ominous thoughts among Inter fans all too used to watching other teams doing all the winning. Still, early doors, eh?

Next weekend, Milan visit Bologna, Juventus host Atalanta, and Roma travel to Messina, while Saturday night's game gives Internazionale a chance to bounce back in front of their own fans, hosting spunky new-boys Palermo at the San Siro. Inter-Palermo will be live on British Eurosport, but for the sad few who won't be able to follow it there, rest assured we'll have all the details here next week. See you then.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/continental/story/0,8018,1304263,00.html

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

That call on what would have given Lucarelli a hat trick was brutal. I find that the big clubs in Italy (especially Juve and Milan) benefit from horrible calls by the refs.

Yup! And that's what I call fan intimidation!! Just imagine this guy's ride home, that's what he was thinking about.

And imagine the healines;

'Milan beaten in season opener by minnows Livorno'

Roma to fine Cassano Tuesday 14 September, 2004

-----------------------------

Antonio Cassano will be fined by Roma as a result of his dismissal against Fiorentina, according to reports.

It was believed that the Giallorossi would take no action after the player held talks with boss Rudi Voller on Monday.

However, club officials are reportedly eager to punish the starlet after he got himself sent-off in Week 1.

The Italian international was rightly ordered off the field of play after he clashed with Fiorentina defender Giorgio Chiellini.

Stories suggest that Roma won’t make a decision on the size of the fine until it is known how many games he will be suspended for as a result of the incident.

Cassano, who has been forced to put his hand in his pocket on two other occasions in the past, could be ordered to hand over a maximum of £40,000 - but that figure seems unlikely.

The former Bari youngster is a complex character after showing signs of poor discipline in the past.

He was frozen out of the Under-21 set-up after clashing with boss Claudio Gentile on a number of occasions.

He also had disputes with former Roma boss Fabio Capello during training over the last 24 months.

However, there were signs that he was maturing after his excellent form for the Azzurri at Euro 2004.

But there are also some unconfirmed reports today which suggest that he refused to pose for official Champions’ League pictures on Monday.

The Giallorossi open their European campaign tomorrow night when they entertain Dynamo Kiev.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/sep14d.html

A heads-up for today's (September 22) matches:

None will be shown on Telelatino for some reason (neither live nor on tape delay), but 4 will be shown on FSWC on Friday, so you might want to avoid the results until then:

Friday, September 24 on FSWC</u>

12:00 PM EDT - Atalanta vs. Inter

2:00 PM EDT - Roma vs. Lecce

4:00 PM EDT - Milan vs. Messina

8:00 PM EDT - Sampdoria vs. Juventus

Let's try to keep discussion on the 2004/2005 Italian season (all leagues, Coppa Italia) in this one thread throughout. I've changed the title accordingly so you can post results here whenever you want (therefore, since I tend to watch matches on tape, often days later, comments from me might be delayed as I avoid this thread until then).

If this annoys non-fans, you are free to create a similar thread for your favourite leagues. In fact, I would suggest that this system is less annoying to non-fans than new threads being created every few days.

Forza Lazio!

he already has been...Vieri has been a sub for Adriano in the 2 of the first three games..The way Adriano is going, no one is going to catch him...

Vieri is going through a very very very bad spell right now... He'd be lucky to hit a barn with his luck since the euros...he had a great chance against Palermo, a sliding one-timer, but it balooned over the bar. It probably would have snapped him out of his slump, all these guys need is one goal and they get their confidence back...

quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

he already has been...Vieri has been a sub for Adriano in the 2 of the first three games..The way Adriano is going, no one is going to catch him...

Oh. oops. I guess I only watched 2 Inter games this season and Vieri started both of them (Bremen, Palermo) so I assumed it was the norm. Adriano is a no-brainer but I would play Martins ahead of Vieri. Actually I'd play Recoba ahead of Vieri too.

Once again, I will be following the struggles of Reggina.....staying up to them is like one of the Bigs winning the Scudetto. It is always interesting to see how smaller, less financially blessed teams manage to pull off successful seasons and preserve their status as Serie A teams. The Reggina/Messina games will be crackers. Reggina and Messina are only about 3kms. apart, separated only by a narrow strait, so the proximity of the two cities makes it a natural rivalry. Having lived just outside of Reggio for 11 years, I know how passionate the fans are, and since they already hated and insulted each other while playing in different leagues, I cannot wait to see what happens in their two seasonal encounters. Forza Reggina, Forza Amaranto!!!

Suprised to see Voller quitting so soon, before the paint even dries! I am no fan of either he or Camacho, but I think both should have held on for an extra month at least, or they shopuld no thave taken on the jobs. I don't think the middling runs of either Real or Roma can be ascribed to their coaches, I think it is a combination of poor higher administration and poor player attitude.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Voller quits after Roma debacle, Palermo stall Juve

September 25, 2004

ROME (AFP) - Rudi Voller quit as Roma coach after the club's 3-1 defeat away to Bologna, while leaders Juventus dropped their first points of the season in a 1-1 draw at home to Palermo.

Under Voller, Roma have taken just four league points from a possible 12.

Despite their draw, Juve held on to top spot with 10 points from four matches, while Roma dropped to 14th place.

Roma director Franco Baldini said he tried to persuade Voller, drafted in last month to replace Cesare Prandelli who left to take care of his sick wife, to reconsider his departure.

"Voller offered his resignation and I told him he should think about his decision because he was not responsible for such a poor performance," Baldini said.

"I told him he should take the decision when he is calmer, but he seemed to have made up his mind.

"I only hope it was a move dictated by the emotion of the moment. If Voller hasn't changed his mind by tomorrow morning, we will decide what to do."

Bologna had to play the last 39 minutes with only nine men after Giacomo Cipriani and Theo Zagorakis were sent off, but by that time they were already 3-0 up.

French midfielder Mourad Meghni scored twice and Cipriani grabbed the other goal, before Cipriani and Greek midfielder Theo Zagorakis were both sent off.

Francesco Totti pulled one back for Roma just before the hour, but they failed to breach the nine men again.

Roma, forced to forfeit their opening Champions League match against Dynamo Kiev after the referee was hit by a missile and who must play their next two home games in the competition behind closed doors, came into the match hoping to resurrect their faltering title challenge,

But Bologna, 2-1 winners at Parma on Wednesday, exploited Roma's fragile confidence as early as the fifth minute.

Tomas Locatelli knocked down Carlo Nervo's right wing cross for Meghni whose shot, hit with the outside of his boot, curled high into the top corner of the net.

Bologna doubled their advantage in the 34th minute. Locatelli dribbled into the penalty area before setting up Cipriani, whose right-footed cross-shot shot flew past helpless Roma keeper Ivan Pelizzoli.

Three minutes later, Bologna tightened their grip on the match and once again Locatelli was the provider.

Capped twice by Italy, Locatelli sent Meghni clear and the Frenchman's left-footed shot gave Pelizolli no chance.

Juventus, who won their first three matches without conceding a goal, were surprisingly held in Turin by the promoted Sicilians.

Christian Zaccardo's close-range header from Eugenio Corini's free-kick put the visitors ahead in the 17th minute, only for Zlatan Ibrahimovic to bundle home an equaliser shortly after the break.

Ibrahimovic's first effort, a powerful close-range header, was parried by Palermo keeper Matteo Guardalben, but the Juve forward was first to the loose ball and prodded it home.

Juve coach Fabio Capello lamented his team's lack of concentration that allowed Zaccardo to steal in at the back post.

"I'm happy with the performance, but the only negative thing is that we gifted them a goal from a set-piece," said the man who quit Roma to join Juve at the start of the summer. "That shouldn't have happened."

Italian league table after Saturday's matches (played, won, drawn, lost, goals for, goals against, points):

Juventus 4 3 1 0 9 1 10

Lazio 3 2 1 0 4 1 7

Messina 3 2 1 0 6 4 7

Cagliari 3 2 0 1 4 2 6

Palermo 4 1 3 0 3 2 6

Bologna 4 2 0 2 5 5 6

Udinese 3 1 2 0 4 0 5

Lecce 3 1 2 0 8 5 5

Inter Milan 3 1 2 0 6 5 5

Chievo 3 1 2 0 4 3 5

Reggina 3 1 2 0 3 2 5

AC Milan 3 1 1 1 5 4 4

Fiorentina 3 1 1 1 2 2 4

Roma 4 1 1 2 7 9 4

Siena 3 1 0 2 2 4 3

Livorno 3 0 1 2 4 6 1

Atalanta 3 0 1 2 4 7 1

Parma 3 0 1 2 1 6 1

Sampdoria 3 0 0 3 1 6 0

Brescia 3 0 0 3 1 9 0

Serie A matches on TLN this weekend:

Italian Championship Soccer

Week 5 of 38

Saturday October 2, 2004

2:30pm/et

Chievo Verona vs. Lecce

Live Stadio Bentegodi, Verona

English language commentary

Sunday October 3, 2004

8:55am/et

Milan vs. Reggina

LIVE, Stadio Meazza, Milano

Sunday October 3, 2004

11:00am/et

Udinese vs. Juventus

Tape Delay, Stadio Friuli, Udine

Sunday October 3, 2004

2:30pm.et

Roma vs. Inter ***

Live Stadio Olimpico, Roma

This team is a total mess. Chalk another one up for Roma

Montella adds to Roma chaos Thursday 30 September, 2004

---------------------------------------

Roma are set to fine Vincenzo Montella after he allegedly refused to play against Real Madrid.

Reports in Italy on Thursday suggest that the striker was told to warm up in preparation for a second half substitute appearance – but he ignored caretaker boss Ezio Sella.

It seems that Montella was unhappy at being relegated to the bench despite his scoring record this season.

The Italian has netted four goals in just 221 minutes of Serie A football but was left out of the line-up for the recent defeats to both Bologna and Real.

Montella, who also had a difficult relationship with former boss Fabio Capello, is now set to be handed a fine by the Giallorossi.

This incident is just the latest in a long line of indiscipline that has marred the capital club’s start to the season.

Antonio Cassano and Philippe Mexes have also been handed financial penalties this term after being sent-off in matches.

Montella will be hoping that the arrival of Gigi Del Neri as new Coach will help his situation at the Stadio Olimpico.

Especially as the former Chievo boss did hint that the Sampdoria legend would be a key figure in his plans.

"Roma won’t have too many problems with Totti, Cassano and Montella in the side," he said at his official unveiling yesterday.

Meanwhile, Roma are today being linked with a double swoop once the January transfer window opens.

They are keen to land Siena winger Rodrigo Taddei and Ajax defender Maxwell, who has also been linked with Juventus.

• 3 weeks later...

So are you guys gonna make a middle aged WASP learn to read Italian to keep up !

I rely on you guys to keep me up on a league I don't follow [:P]

Weekend scores :

Serie A

Bologna 2 - 1 Atalanta

Brescia 3 - 1 Parma

Cagliari 0 - 1 AC Milan

Fiorentina 0 - 0 Siena

Inter 3 - 1 Udinese

Juventus P - P Messina

Lazio 0 - 1 Chievo

Lecce 2 - 0 Palermo

Livorno P - P Roma