Final Messina 1 - 1 Livorno

Final Palermo 3 - 3 Lazio

Final Roma 0 - 0 Chievo Verona

Final Siena 2 - 1 Atalanta

Final Udinese 1 - 1 AC Milan

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, stupid question from someone who doesn't follow Italian soccer.

I see AC Torino is moving up to Serie A . Seems to me in the back of my head I remember a story behind with this club would anybody like to fill me in.....and do you suppose that any derby like feel will happen with Juve?

I see AC Torino is moving up to Serie A . Seems to me in the back of my head I remember a story behind with this club would anybody like to fill me in.....and do you suppose that any derby like feel will happen with Juve?

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I see AC Torino is moving up to Serie A .

Not yet. They still have two more games to play in serie "B". Promotion is far from a certainty for them.

Here are the Serie B standings with two rounds to go:

Empoli 73 < promotion zone

Genoa 72

-------------

Perugia 68 < playoff zone

Torino 68

Treviso 63

Modena 60

-------------

Ascoli 59

Verona 57

Albinoleffe 55

Piacenza 55

Ternana 54

Bari 51

Catania 51

Salernitana 48

Vicenza 48

Arezzo 47

Cesena 47

---------------

Pescara 46< play-out zone

Triestina 45

----------------

Crotone 44 < relegation zone

Venezia 34 < RELEGATED

Catanzaro 25 < RELEGATED

In the Serie C1 Leagues (two), Cremonese (A) and Rimini (B) won their respective leagues, so will advance, and the next four in each zone league play-off for the remaining spot for each zone. They have had the first leg of the first series last weekend:

Girone A

Frosinone-Mantova 2-4

Grosseto-Pavia 1-1

Girone B

Reggiana-Avellino 1-2

Sambenedettese-Napoli 1-1

Forza Napoli!!!!!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

This isn't really related, but did you hear that RAI International has been approved by the CRTC and will be launched on June 2, though I believe only on Rogers digital? No other details have been released (including price). I wonder if there will be a free preview period, which would be nice with Italy's match next weekend and the Coppa Italia finals the week after. I certainly wouldn't pay normal multicultural channel prices for just national team and Coppa matches.

It didn't launch on June 2. However, Rogers did set aside a spot on channel 610 (in Toronto, anyway) and are running previews for it there (I have seen absolutely no mention of it otherwise). The onscreen guide says that it will launch on June 5 with a free preview until July 15.

We miss the Norway vs. Italy match on June 4, but I'm not sure if it would be on, anyway. I thought all Italy matches are on RAI International, but Norway vs. Italy is not listed for the "North American feed". I'm not sure if what we're getting on Rogers is this feed or not. Does anyone know how RAI International feeds work?

quote:Originally posted by DJT

We miss the Norway vs. Italy match on June 4, but I'm not sure if it would be on, anyway. I thought all Italy matches are on RAI International, but Norway vs. Italy is not listed for the "North American feed". I'm not sure if what we're getting on Rogers is this feed or not. Does anyone know how RAI International feeds work?

Looks like Setanta got the rights to show the Norway x Italy match. But doesn't look like they're making it available to Canada (not even on PPV).

In other news, the Bologna x Parma relegation playoff will be the last positional playoff in serie "A" or serie "B". Starting next season all ties in the standings will be broken based on head-to-head aggregate score from the two matches played during the season b/w the clubs in question.

• 2 weeks later...

For those with RAI International:

Sunday, June 12

10:00 AM EDT - LIVE (right now!)

Serie C1 Promotion Playoffs, Final, First Leg

Napoli vs. Avellino

4:30 PM EDT - 1-hour tape delay

Coppa Italia, Final, First Leg

Roma vs. Inter

More on RAI International (all of these are live broadcasts):

Tuesday, June 14

2:30 PM EDT

Serie A Playout, First Leg

Parma vs. Bologna

Wednesday, June 15

Coppa Italia, Final, Second Leg

Inter vs. Roma

Saturday, June 18

Serie A Playout, Final, Second Leg

Bologna vs. Parma

Parma beats Bologna 2-0 in second leg of playoff, stays in Serie A

June 18, 2005

BOLOGNA, Italy (AP) -- Alberto Gilardino scored the decisive goal Saturday and Sebastien Frey earned the shutout, helping Parma beat Bologna 2-0 in the second leg of a relegation playoff and win 2-1 on aggregate to stay in Italy's Serie A next season.

Bologna, the 1964 league champion, joins Brescia and Atalanta in the second division.

Gilardino, expected to transfer to AC Milan, added a first-half injury time goal to Giuseppe Cardone's score in the 17th minute.

Cardone made it 1-0 off a corner kick before limping off with a hip injury. Gilardino scored on a deflection off his thigh in the 46th minute on a cross from Australia teammate Mark Bresciano.

Bologna and Parma had to play the two-leg relegation playoff after finishing in a tie for 16th with Fiorentina in the Serie A standings. Fiorentina was saved due to an advantage in head-to-head meetings between the three clubs.

Genoa face police probe into promotion win

MILAN, June 18 (Reuters) - Serie B champions Genoa face an investigation into their final day of the season victory over Venezia which secured the club promotion to the top flight.

The Italian news agency ANSA reported that Genoa president Enrico Preziosi, his son Matteo and club general manager Stefano Capozucca would be questioned by local public magistrates on Monday at carabinieri offices in Forte San Giuliano.

The investigation relates to Genoa's final two games of the season when they drew 2-2 at Piacenza and then beat Venezia 3-2 at home to return to Serie A after a 10-year absense.

The officials are formally suspected of "collaborating to achieve sporting fraud" and ANSA said telephone conversations between players and officials had been acquired by police who also wanted to look into a financial transaction involving a Venezia official.

"As far as we are concerned the investigations are finished. It will be up to the sports authorities to decide the fate of Genoa," chief investigator Francesco Lalla told ANSA.

Genoa supporters club issued a statement on Saturday saying they would be holding a protest of 'solidarity' with Preziosi outside Monday's hearing.

Torino win promotion to Serie A

MILAN, June 26 (Reuters) - Seven-times Italian champions Torino won promotion back to Serie A on Sunday despite losing the second leg of their play-off final with Perugia 1-0.

Torino won the first leg 2-1 and, after the tie ended 2-2 on aggregate after extra time, earned promotion by virtue of finishing in a higher position in the regular Serie B season.

After Perugia had an early effort disallowed, they went ahead through a Giuseppe Mascara goal in the 21st minute.

Marasca poked home through a crowded penalty area after a scramble had followed a corner.

Torino's powerful Brazilian midfielder Pinga had a free kick well saved by Perugia keeper Lorenzo Squizzi but there were few chances for either side in a tense encounter.

Toro midfielder Gaby Mudingayi was sent off in the final minute of injury time but that did nothing to dampen the celebrations that followed the final whistle for the 55,000 Turin crowd.

"I've been waiting for this moment for a long time," said midfielder Alessandro Conticchio.

STRONG OPPONENTS

"We deserve this because we got 74 points this season and we played good football, including in a playoff where we were up against very strong opponents.

"It was a struggle for us but that's fine," he added.

Torino, relegated two years ago, join Empoli and Genoa in Serie A next season -- although Genoa face an inquiry into suspicions of match-fixing.

Brescia, Atalanta and Bologna were relegated from the top flight.

Torino have high expectations based on a rich history. They were one of the giants of the Italian game before the Superga tragedy in 1949 in which their entire championship-winning squad was killed in an aeroplane crash.

The club have never been able to regain their previous status. Although they won the 'scudetto' in 1976, the past decade has seen them flit between the top two divisions.

Technical director Renato Zaccarelli took over the side for the final stage of the campaign but former AC Milan coach Alberto Zaccheroni has been linked with a move to the club for next season.

• 2 weeks later...

Torino not admitted to Italian league

July 9, 2005

ROME (AFP) - Torino, who are being investigated for fraud, have not been admitted into the Italian first division next season.

The Italian fraud squad led an operation during the night of July 1 to 2 at the club and seized a large quantity of documents.

Magistrates in charge of the inquiry suspect club officials of giving false financial guarantees to the Italian tax authorities to mask debts of up to 18 million euros.

Torino have till July 14 - the next meeting of the audit commission - to clear the debt though they have several appeal options.

Archived