2004/2005 Italian season thread [R]

DJT

On Friday, October 29, FSWC will be showing some matches played on Wednesday, October 27. The first one and last one listed below are questionable, because some sources list them and some do not. All times EDT.

12:00 PM - Lazio vs. Messina

8:00 PM - Lecce vs. Inter

11:00 PM - Milan vs. Atalanta

2:00 AM (Saturday) - Juventus vs. Roma

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anybody know how the relegation for Serie A will work this year, as well as the promotion from Serie B?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the matches on TLN this weekend:

Saturday October 30, 2004 - 2:30pm/et

Inter vs. Lazio

Sunday October 31, 2004 - 8:55am/et

Juventus vs. Chievo Verona

Sunday October 31, 2004 - 11:00am/et (taped)

Roma vs. Cagliari

Sunday October 31, 2004 - 2:30pm.et

Udinese vs. Palermo

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Does anybody know how the relegation for Serie A will work this year, as well as the promotion from Serie B?

I believe I heard that only the bottom three go down just like EPL. Don't know if there's a playoff though. Far cry from 4 from 18 down. Apparently they want to create more stability to allow more teams to actually challenge for the Scudetto... seems unlikely to work IMHO. Plus, don't Italians love a constant state of crisis/turmoil?

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

I believe I heard that only the bottom three go down just like EPL. Don't know if there's a playoff though. Far cry from 4 from 18 down. Apparently they want to create more stability to allow more teams to actually challenge for the Scudetto... seems unlikely to work IMHO. Plus, don't Italians love a constant state of crisis/turmoil?

Mike.

Thanks for actually answering Mike. I was pretty sure it was 3 teams going down, but I'm not sure if there is going to be a play-off of some sort. I've actually been pleasantly surprised about how competitive Serie A has been this year. I thought that adding 2 teams would have led to more crappy teams like Ancona from last year. Instead, other than the race for 1st and 2nd, 3rd place right down to 19th place is pretty close (only an 8 point gap).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what TLN is offering this week (no Saturday game this week):

Sunday November 14, 2004 - 8:55am/et

Milan vs. Siena

Sunday November 14, 2004 - 11:00am/et

Lecce vs. Juventus

Sunday November 14, 2004 - 2:30pm.et

Cagliari vs. Inter

Originally posted by argh1 - 11/17/2004 : 05:29:30</u>

Okay, Okay my knowledge of soccer is limited and my knowledge of Italian soccer is less than that ......

I was checking through last weekends soccer scores and see that the attendance at Parma was 1,148 ( I checked 3 sites ) is there a fan backlash because of last years financial troubles or is this only a blip . It just struck me as I went through the box scores .

Final score 2-2 by the bye

Thanks for actually answering Mike. I was pretty sure it was 3 teams going down, but I'm not sure if there is going to be a play-off of some sort.
I'm also pretty sure this is correct, but I've had no luck trying to confirm it all season (off and on). Amazingly, even the official league site does not have the rules and regulations posted for this season (only last season, despite having them posted for this season's cup, Primavera, etc.).

I've actually been pleasantly surprised about how competitive Serie A has been this year. I thought that adding 2 teams would have led to more crappy teams like Ancona from last year. Instead, other than the race for 1st and 2nd, 3rd place right down to 19th place is pretty close (only an 8 point gap).

Yeah, I thought so too. But if you think about it a bit more, maybe it's not so surprising after all. I think what's happened is that the big three have remained the big three (although Inter still can't get it right, and I'm loving it! [:P]), but the next group — including Lazio, Parma, Roma — have really weakened, due mainly to financial problems. Therefore, all the other teams are now able to take points off these three more often (add crappy Inter as well [:P]), balancing out the table below the top two. That's my theory, anyway. Of course, we'll see what happens over the rest of the season.

Regardless of the balance, I still say 20 teams is too many.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

I was checking through last weekends soccer scores and see that the attendance at Parma was 1,148 ( I checked 3 sites ) is there a fan backlash because of last years financial troubles or is this only a blip.

I looked into this all over the place and couldn't find anything about it. What three sites did you check?

Who saw Lecce vs. Udinese a couple of weeks ago? It was a great game, ending 3-4. Goals were traded back and forth, including one each in the dying minutes.

On Saturday (November 20), the two met again in Lecce for the first leg of the third round of the Coppa Italia (aside: does anyone else find it very, very strange that Coppa Italia matches were scheduled for a weekend?). The pre-match talk was whether there would be a repeat of the previous match (high scores are common for Lecce as they have the most goals scored and are tied for the most conceded in the league so far). Final score: 4-5!!! Lecce took a 3-0 in the first half hour, Udinese tied it within the next half hour, Lecce took the lead again 10 minutes later, Udinese tied it 10 minutes after that, and finally Udinese won it another 10 minutes later, just before full time. But the amazing story doesn't end there: Lecce had a penalty kick stopped in injury time. Want more? The keeper was red-carded on the play and there were no subs left, so the kick was stopped by forward David Di Michele!! Who had earlier scored 2 of Udinese's goals!!!! Who else has scored 2 goals and stopped a penalty kick in the same match!?! I'd love to see this game - anyone know of soccer BitTorrent sites other than MaXxed?

DJT, the sites I usually go to for box scores are 1st SkySports/planetfootball but when I saw the low figure I checked ESPN/soccernet & then ITV/football . I checked again after you're question . Planetfootball and Soccernet still have the 1,148 figure but ITV has changed there's to 20,398 which sounds more reasonable . So it was probably a typo that got passed down the line which prompted my question.

For some reason starting this year BBC/football which is my main source for the soccer that I follow religiously (for general or specific league...read Irish... sites for more detailed ) stopped listing attendances in the Europe section as they've changed the site slightly .Giving only basic info in the results section now and putting tables on a seperate page . Which is too bad because BBC gives you a lot more leagues than the others.

On promotion. I'm pretty sure that 3 teams are going down, and that 3 are coming up to Serie A. I'm just not sure if there will be any play-offs.

As for the weekend Coppa Italia matches, these games were originally supposed to be played on Jan. 12/05, but they were moved up when China cancelled a friendly scheduled for Nov. 21.

Speaking of the Coppa Italia, it's good to see that the two legs of the home-and-away final are at least not scheduled two months apart (!) like last year. Some of the matches are set for weekends as an effort to raise the profile of the cup. Except for the matches in Palermo and Milan last weekend, I think the crowds were A-league level.

The rest of the schedule (being Italy, of course, being very subject to change):

Third Round (Nov 20 and Jan 12)

Cagliari 2-1 - Lazio [1st leg Nov 21]

Torino 0-2 - Sampdoria [1st leg Nov 19]

Inter 3-1 - Bologna [1st leg Nov 21]

Atalanta 2-0 - Juventus [1st leg Nov 19]

Roma 1-2 - Siena [1st leg Nov 19]

Fiorentina 2-0 - Parma

Lecce 4-5 - Udinese

Palermo 1-2 - Milan

Quarterfinals (Jan 26, Mar 2)

Semifinals (April 20, May 11)

Final (June 12, 15)

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, absolutely wild second half in the Lazio-Lecce, 3-3, match. Di Canio was an absolute one-man wrecking crew, what a wildman, two goals. Typical squirmishing with his teamate Inzahgi, who the commentator called "Lecce's best line of defence". Lazio, the patradigm of a dysfunctional club!

dicanio.jpg

Di Canio showed passion for the game and passion for his club along with his inspiration that sometimes eludes players these days. It was really uplifting to see him celebrating the way he did jumping around, motivating his team and showing he believes in teh cause. It made Lazio fans pround of their team and extra proud of him. It certainly made this one proud. He could be the difference of survival for Lazio this season. Without him, Lazio would be in big trouble.

I haven't seen the match yet, but I'm not at all suprised by the score. I knew it would be close and high-scoring (that defines Lecce this season).

I'm not surprised by Di Canio, either. He doesn't even have to be playing to show his commitment. Of course, accepting a big pay cut to join Lazio is all the proof you need, but did you see him in the stands at the Cagliari match two weeks ago, wearing his biancoceleste scarf, sitting on the edge of his seat, jumping at every close call as his teammates tried to equalize?

oh man, that was a terrible game from Fiorentina...They played like they were losing straight away from the opening kick off. I stopped watching at 6 nil.

On the other hand, Siena i thought played a great game, they didn't give up and in places took the game to Inter. I was sooo hoping for a Siena win.

Am i the only one who thinks that Materazzi is on the juice? He seems so irritable, now i know that hes always been like that, but it seems more noticable these days...

Ya Di Canio is a rare breed and Lazio are lucky to have him.

But surprise surprise Juventus pick up 3 points they dont deserve thanks to an assist from the ref. After turning down 2 good penalty appeals for Bologna, he calls a soft freekick that did not even compare to the penalty appeals. Of course Nedved stepped up and put it away, but it should not have happend. Then i thought Pagliuca was gonna tear the ref a new one. He was Fuming and rightly so. it was good to see because he too is showing his passion and commitment to his club, and if i dont see how you cant be gutted after a call like that.

Well done to Bologna for a hard fought match, deserved at least a point. Juventus, well i wonder if the refs get a percentage of their scudetto royalties. Because calls like that can be teh difference in a scudetto race.

quote:Originally posted by TorontoInferno

Am i the only one who thinks that Materazzi is on the juice? He seems so irritable, now i know that hes always been like that, but it seems more noticable these days...

Being an Inter fan I agree with you. When it comes to one on one situations he makes bad decisions sometimes. It is just not the same without Canavaro back there.

• 3 weeks later...

Di Canio on Totti:

"Totti? Of course I share nothing with him. Thank God he does not invite me to have supper with him, because if I try to have a conversation and talk about the Middle East, he will think I am talking about an area on the field."

"The symbol says that he will leave if he’s not happy with the team, I think that is annoying for the Roma fans. It is different for me. I’ve lost money by moving here but I have gained in happiness. I have never asked anything from the club because playing for Lazio is the best thing there is. Even if Lazio were relegated or went bust, the club would still remain the most beautiful thing in the world for me."

Archived