Eighteen for September

nolando

Onstad (only b/c lars still hasnt had enough 1st team appearances)

Sutton

Devos (oh my god we need you Jason!!!!)

Stalteri (please play 400% better than u did against the guats!)

Jazic

Pizzolitto (only as a sub)

McKenna (Partenered with devos....not a lot of speed, but good in air and good to bring up on corners...better than watson anyday)

Gervais (we need depth.....he's played well all year)

Brennan (missed him vs the guats as simpson really isnt ready for this level ...YET)

Hume (prefer him on the right flank to dero any day, tho i'd like to see him up front next time radz isnt there)

De Guzman (we need this guy...still hasnt lived up to potential but still is our best guy in the middle)

Bernier (put him on the right if hume moves up...)

Imhof (give us a little more than you did vs the guats.....you werent the worst on the pitch, but deifnitly not the best)

Serioux (nothing negativet o say bout this guy yet)

Radzinski (show up for christ's sake)

Occean (finish yer chances.....i like this guy he should get the starting nod agian)

Derosario (make up yer mind! just shoot every time......why not? )

Pesch (good for a sub at the end, nothing more)

other possibilities:

Peters

Lars (if he's got some starts with DU's first team)

Watson (only cause i know he's gonna get the call anyways)

Simpson (but only as a sub, not starting)

Hutchinson (he'll prolly get the call up, he never seems to get his chance tho....i was impressed by his speed when i watched him in the last gold cup...he's still pretty lanky tho am i right?)

Menezes (better than watson.....wouldnt mind seein him and JDV pair up.

Yallop needs to send a message to himself, apart from his team and the fans. Best way to do it would be to say, okay, I've put false faith in Onstad. Bring in Hirschfeld. Regardless of what his present position is with his club, no one can tell me he isn't in game shape.

Here's an attempt to pump some much needed life back into the thread. Since people's roster picks are all over the place, I'm still interested to see them here alongside a complete list of subs and even some justification if needed. IMHO The roster selection has probably never been so discussed, scrutinized and so crucial to our survival in qualifying

I think Yallop mentioned in the Inside Soccer radio interview that he'll have the boys together from Monday (am I crazy or is that what he said?) so if that's the case I would expect a roster announcement on Friday.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Here's an attempt to pump some much needed life back into the thread. Since people's roster picks are all over the place, I'm still interested to see them here alongside a complete list of subs and even some justification if needed. IMHO The roster selection has probably never been so discussed, scrutinized and so crucial to our survival in qualifying

I think Yallop mentioned in the Inside Soccer radio interview that he'll have the boys together from Monday (am I crazy or is that what he said?) so if that's the case I would expect a roster announcement on Friday.

Yes, I know Yallop said he wanted the lads together earlier this time, and if he can get them for Monday, then that should give us time for a knock-a-round on Tuesday or Wednesday against SOMEBODY. We could play an A-league team, or an MLS team or somebody in Edmonton. Hell, I'll fly in a few days early and put on the boots if it means giving these guys a chance to learn how to play together. The talent is there: they just need to learn how to play together.

I have been a supporter of Stalteri at right back for quite a while, but I now feel we need to see him in the middle of the pitch. Who can play at right back? Nsaliwa or Imhoff or Kluka???

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Yes, I know Yallop said he wanted the lads together earlier this time, and if he can get them for Monday, then that should give us time for a knock-a-round on Tuesday or Wednesday against SOMEBODY. We could play an A-league team, or an MLS team or somebody in Edmonton. Hell, I'll fly in a few days early and put on the boots if it means giving these guys a chance to learn how to play together. The talent is there: they just need to learn how to play together.

I have been a supporter of Stalteri at right back for quite a while, but I now feel we need to see him in the middle of the pitch. Who can play at right back? Nsaliwa or Imhoff or Kluka???

I disagree about Stalteri. If right back is where he plays club football so well, and if we have a glut of midfielders and a dearth of quality defenders, then it is in right back that I think he must stay. He hasn't played there for very long, so it's not like it is a long failure of an experiment. In fact, and IMHO, the real failed experiment was having him in the center of midfield for so long, especially in any role where he was expected to produce offensively. Doesn't anybody remember the old "I Hate Stalteri" page? It was there for a reason, and the reason didn't involve problems with him at the back for Canada.

None of the three guys you mentioned are right backs,or not quality replacements, not in my mind at least.

Nolando, I see you have Bernier as a back. I understood him to be an attacking mid. has be played in the back before? From your initial list, I think that Frank will recall Simpson and Brennan will continue out of luck. I don't really have a big problem with this personally becasue, although Simpson did not have a good game against Guatemala, he has demonstrated an ability to raise his game to the level needed very quickly. He is talented with great potential, so even when ineffective, Canada is gaining some benefit in the long run (although we need to win NOW). I too would prefer Brennan, especially as Frank seem to drop players if they do not perform and I think he should be consistent about it.

I hope Frank calls Nsaliwa as well. I think he is very good at right back, and the only guy I'd put there besides Stalteri (See Germany game among others for reasons). One thing I think that Yallop HAS</u> to consider in his selection is untimely injuries. Since Stalteri can play so many different postions at a high enough level, by bringing in cover for Stalteri, you are really covering several positions at once.

Maybe I'm confused but didn't Bernier play a little right-back for us?? I am sure Simpson will be in and Brennan will be out but I still have a personal discomfort with the decision. Like all great international sides, the selection is not always a simple matter of choosing the highest talent players from a list of those playing regular, first-team football. Look at that keeper for Guatemala. A bystander might have thought that Onstad was the keeper without a club side given the performance. I think part of what happened at the debacle in Vancouver was a lack of chemistry, and chemistry-wise I think it makes sense to have rock-solid guys like Brennan out there, at least off of the bench. I just never would have imagined in a million years that there would be a point where we were behind in a qualifying tournament and the selection of Brennan was in any doubt whatsoever. He has always been a part of a core group alongside Devos and Stalteri that could have been photocopied from roster to roster given their permanence for our side, and I think that says a lot about the quality of Brennan. Show me who you WOULD include on your roster, if you have the time, just for discussion sake.

Bernier played right mid in the first half against Belize and then switched to right back when Hume came on at the half. Bernier moved back into midfield after Hume was sent off (Imhoff then switched to right back in place of Bernier.)

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Show me who you WOULD include on your roster, if you have the time, just for discussion sake.

Keepers (2) - Who the heck knows. I have no confidence in Onstad and Hirschfeld may have some rust. Never seen enough of Sutton. Say Onstadt and Hirschfeld, substitute Sutton for either if you prefer.

Defenders (7)

Stalteri*

Nsaliwa

Devos*

McKenna*

Jazic*

Klukowski

Menezes

Midfield (6)

Hume*

DeGuzman*

Serioux*

Brennan*

Imhoff

Simpson

Forwards (3)

DeRosario*

Radzinski*

Occean

Here is my pick...

Onstad

Hutchison DeVos Klukowski Simpson

DeGuzman

Hume Imhoff

Serioux

Occean Radzinski

Subs: Sutton, Watson, Brennan, Peters, Peschisolido, Bernier, DeRosario

Comments:

- Cut Stalteri. He has a very negative attitude. It takes away all that he has to offer.

- IMO this team provides Frank with many options.

- As long as Rad is up front with Frank I don't care what we all think. He is good. He is positive. He is in! Screw Frank ... and he is out.

- I like the mix of leadership and youth.

- Simpson, he had a bad game. He is an excellent player and should be on this team. Frank knows it and we will see him in Edmonton. If a guy tanks one game (and he was not alone) I don't think we shoot him.

- Peters, I like to see some youth. We need to balance this with guys like Watson. If the older guys are the type that encourage the youth and do not see them as competion for a spot then it is a good mix and things will happen.

- McKenna, too close to an injury. Otherwise he would be in.

- I really like that Frank goes the next step and finds out how the player is "today". Not how good they used to be. Are they game fit? If not don't bring them in at this time.

Well that's my 2 cents. Its been fun.

Here are mine

Hirschfeld

Stalteri Devos Mckenna Jazic

Hume deGuzman Serioux Brennan

Radzinski Occean

Even if Lars hasn't been getting regular first team action I suspect he is fit and even were he not he is a vastly superior keeper to onstad. If Mckenna isn't to start against honduras bring in Klukowski I haven't seen him play but he must be better than a-leaguers. Brennan should start in midfield but I doubt he will even be selected, Derosario cannot play in midfield but is a good option as the third striker, I didn't include simpson because last week was the first and only time I've seen him play and he was terrible. Radzinski is obviously our best striker and Occean makes a good match due to his size and pesch's lack of production.

Bench: Imhof Derosario Hutchinson Bircham(if healthy) Klukowski Peters Keeper

A headline on the fulham page says radzinski has been called up for the honduras and costa rica games.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Keepers (2) - Who the heck knows. I have no confidence in Onstad and Hirschfeld may have some rust. Never seen enough of Sutton. Say Onstadt and Hirschfeld, substitute Sutton for either if you prefer.

Defenders (7)

Stalteri*

Nsaliwa

Devos*

McKenna*

Jazic*

Klukowski

Menezes

Midfield (6)

Hume*

DeGuzman*

Serioux*

Brennan*

Imhoff

Simpson

Forwards (3)

DeRosario*

Radzinski*

Occean

Gordon, your starters (*) are the ones I would go with as well.:)

Archived