Voyageurs Cup Match 15: Vancouver vs. Calgary [R]

DJT

<center>Voyageurs Cup 2004

Match 15Vancouver Whitecaps vs. Calgary MustangsFriday, July 30, 2004 - 8:00 PM PDT

Swangard Stadium, BurnabyTelevision: FSWC, FSW</center>

Scenarios

[*]If Vancouver do not win then they will be eliminated from the possibility of winning Voyageurs Cup 2004.

[*](Calgary are already eliminated from the possibility of winning Voyageurs Cup 2004.)

Match Previews

[*]Vancouver

» VC:  2-0-3  7-10  6  /  A-League:  12-2-5  27-18  38

» Whitecaps preview page

[*]Calgary

» VC:  1-1-4  7-10  4  /  A-League:  2-3-14  16-36  9   

[*]MatchNight!

[*]USL/FSW (through OurSports Central)

Voyageurs Cup

After 15 minutes:

Vancouver 0 Calgary 0

Fairly balanced at first, but Vancouver have stepped up and have had a few chances.

The commentators have referred to this as a "Canadian derby" several times. Wouldn't it just sound better to mention the Voyageurs Cup? Unfortunately Paul Dolan (who has done so in the past) is not in the broadcast booth. But Peter Schaad is the colour commentator. Oh, and Ethan Zohn is on the sidelines, what excitement.

After 35 minutes:

Vancouver 0 Calgary 0

CAL yellow - Auvigne 24' (harsh tackle on Nash)

More of the same. Mostly Vancouver, with more good chances, but a decent break/spell of possession for Calgary every once in a while.

I waited until 35 minutes to post this second report so I could say that, at 34 minutes, Vancouver keeper Alex Marques broke Paul Dolan's club record, which dated back to 1987, for consecutive minutes (I don't know the actual number but it's 5+ games) without giving up a goal.

Halftime:

Vancouver 0 Calgary 0

Vancouver's pressure has eased off over the last 10-15 minutes. Other than a good long-range free kick right at the end, there weren't really any chances for either team during this period.

This match is more like last week's Montreal vs. Calgary (which I got on tape afterwards) than Toronto vs. Calgary a few days earlier. Toronto had more pressure and more clear-cut chances than Montreal or Vancouver, but were also more susceptible in defence than these two, who, not surprisingly, look more organized overall.

After 60 minutes:

Vancouver 1 Calgary 0

VAN PK - missed by Sulentic 54'

VAN sub - Nash off, Heald on 58'

VAN goal - Jordan 60'

VAN PK miss: Poor shot is placed just to Pfannenstiel's right, a simple dive to punch it away. PK awarded when Jordan gets by a defender, has space to come in on goal along the line, defender pulls on his shoulder from behind and brings him down.

VAN goal: Griffiths lays it off for Jordan just inside the top of the box, nice low shot into the bottom right corner, no chance for a diving Pfannenstiel.

Vancouver still controlling play, but not really getting as many chances as they'd like until the goal.

After 75 minutes:

Vancouver 1 Calgary 0

VAN sub - Justin Thompson out, Chris Franks in 65' (Thompson has clash of heads with a Calgary player as they both jump for ball, goes down bleeding badly)

VAN sub - Sulentic out, Corazzin in 75' (Corazzin's first appearance since breaking his cheek bone three weeks ago)

Vancouver seem a bit more relaxed after finally taking the lead, gaining even more control. Calgary are forced to depend on counter-attacks, getting one or two semi-dangerous ones.

Full time:

Vancouver 1 Calgary 1

CAL sub - Auvigne out, Gillespie in 77'

CAL sub - Mert out, Reyes in 77'

CAL yellow - Smith 81' (harsh tackle from behind on Kindel)

VAN sub - Griffiths out, Gomes on 86'

CAL goal - Holdt 90'+2'

There was also a yellow to Vancouver at some point in the game that I missed.

Update on Thompson: 6-7 stitches above his eye.

Last 15 minutes went from Vancouver control to Vancouver trying to kill off the game, so they sat back a bit, which gave Calgary more possession. Calgary gave it a good effort to get the tying goal, earning a few corners, but never really came close.... Until right at the end of injury time (there wasn't even a restart): a great shot by Holdt from about 5 yards outside the top of the box on the right side and into the top-right corner of the net.

Extra time coming up.

Halftime of extra time:

Vancouver 1 Calgary 1

Calgary might have had the better of those 10 minutes. Vancouver came close when Jordan lobbed the ball over a diving Pfannenstiel who came out to challenge, but it was easily cleared off the line. Before that the ball bobbled around dangerously in the Vancouver box before Marques could hold it.

Full-time:

Vancouver 1 Calgary 1

VAN sub - Clarke off, Dauda on 110'

A fairly balanced extra time overall, maybe even a bit of an edge to Calgary. With a minute to go Dasovic screws up and gives up the ball just outside the box, Holdt picks it up, takes it into the box, but fires a shot a yard or so wide from just inside the box with no one between him and Marques (how did he score such a great goal to tie the game and not even hit the net here?). Not really any other good chances over the 20 minutes, but tense nonetheless.

A few more concluding comments in a few minutes...

It was fairly entertaining. I didn't think Mert was up to his usual standards, but the Mustangs were tenacious and worked hard. Vancouver seem to run out of gas and had little punch in the last third of the game.

Great goal from Holdt to level things, then he misses a point blank chance in OT. Crazy game sometimes. Richer impressed me for Calgary while Griffiths was the Caps player who stood out IMHO.

I enjoyed my time watching the game.

Andrew W is right, this was an entertaining and enjoyable game. Did anyone else watch it? It was dead in here. (Why did the Liverpool vs. Porto thread get more comments? Grrr.) Well, I saw the "Read" column for this thread climb throughtout the extent of the match, so I assume there were some people lurking (and appreciating my updates, I hope?).

Calgary had previously lost all 10 away matches this season. But I've seen the last three over the last 13 days and, based on these (plus one at home to Edmonton), I have to agree with what one of the commentators said tonight: they seem to be better than their record indicates. This result is tough for Vancouver, but Calgary really deserved something from these last few matches (throw in the very late loss to Portland). One point isn't much, but the way they got it must make it feel like a win.

From a Voyageurs Cup perspective, as I've said before, all teams below Montreal keep trading results, preventing anyone from catching the Impact. Indeed, with their failure to win tonight, Vancouver are now out as well. Only Montreal and Edmonton remain. The good news for Edmonton is that their fate is completely in their hands: if they win their remaining matches then they will finish first. The bad news is that there are three such matches, and one is at Montreal.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

From a Voyageurs Cup perspective, ......... Only Montreal and Edmonton remain. The good news for Edmonton is that their fate is completely in their hands: if they win their remaining matches then they will finish first. The bad news is that there are three such matches, and one is at Montreal.

So the odds are the Impact will once again be the unoffical Canadian champion.

Oh, how I long for the day when we can have an official Champion .

But thanks to you long time Voyageurs at least we have an unofficial one. Cheers to the competition. Hats off to those that call themselves Voyageurs. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Andrew W is right, this was an entertaining and enjoyable game. Did anyone else watch it? It was dead in here. (Why did the Liverpool vs. Porto thread get more comments? Grrr.)

Probably because the Liverpool vs. Porto was on TV whereas this game was not. Unless you are subscriber to FSWC which still make up very small group. So it wasn't available to most people to watch.

Still, the Liverpool vs. Porto match was a one time event. Plus there was the novelty of seeing what the modified surface at the skydome looks like and holds up.

A couple of things that stood out after I watched the game on tape was how poor the condition of the field looked.

Also,a comment about how Jeremy Piette of the Whitecaps was being sought by Frank Yallop for the national team.Piette is American and would have to naturalize Canadian but I think it is very good move to add some depth on the backline.Piette is a very strong defender who can move the ball and has pretty good pace.

The Calgary fans all gathered to watch the Calgary/Vancouver match at Bottlescrew Bill's.

The field did not look too spectacular on the telly.

From what we saw, due to your proximity to the pitch, the Southside was seen alot from a distance, but they never really showed you close up. I guess they didn't want to break the lens :)

Southsiders got a few mentions. Don't think anyone went out of their way to deny their existance or anything.

Got some nice rude audio in the background if it makes you feel any better.

Yeah, the pitch looked a little neglected. When you don't get to see Swangard all the time you forget sometimes how soft the ball plays on it.

Thought the match was pretty fairly contested. Don't think the 'Caps should feel especially cheated or anything but they did let it get away at the end there and that's gotta blow.

Nice goal Jordon. Soon as he turned to let it carry for a right footer and the ball just top rolled along you knew he'd have a go. Well executed. Nice goal.

Griffiths a little bit of a spark plug, eh? And I'd forgotten that Nash had a left foot there. Didn't realy seem to stand out though, at least to me.

Who got the cut? I think the commentators were saying 6-8 stitchs.

All in all I'd say that was as good a road match as Calgary must have had this season. Looked competative, interested, and mostly organized.

Got a few good matchs coming up on FSWC. Best money I ever spent.

Justin Thompson suffered the 7 stitch gash.

Getting back to my question it's no a matter of them mentioning the southsiders or not. Thats not important. However I don't know of any sportscasts anywhere in the world that go out of the way to steer clear of showing "atmosphere" in the stadiums. After the Caps goal I heard they went to the standard shot of the grandstand fans politely clapping as if they are at a golf tournament. If I were in the TV truck calling the shots I'd have picked a close up shot of the south end of the stadium where people were waving flags, scarves and singing their heads off. Most sports broadcasts do this, A-League broadcasts don't. It's a shame, if more broadcasts showed the fans actually getting into the game as opposed to trying to make games look like "young family friendly" perhaps people might check the games out in their own cities.

They weren't trying to avoid the southside from what I saw, nor did I see too many crowd shots of any type (except those in the bleachers who were automatically in the shot). They briefly showed the grandstand after the goal, but I think that would likely be selected due to the sheer density of the fans. They didn't focus in on any one person or family. BTW, what happened to the shape of the southside, it almost looks staggered around the goal.

A couple of games ago they changed the barricades from being straight across to the staggered configuration they have now. I think they did it to prevent s re-occurence of the barricades being knocked over by drunken yobbos as it was a few games ago. Harder to shove over the staggered fence.

Thanks for the info regarding the camera shots. Seems to me that FSW or whoevers responsible for the shots isn't interested in showing "atmosphere" at A-League games. They can't stop showing closeups of the phony one time supporters at those Championsworld games, so I assume they have two sets of standards.

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Justin Thompson suffered the 7 stitch gash.

Getting back to my question it's no a matter of them mentioning the southsiders or not. Thats not important. However I don't know of any sportscasts anywhere in the world that go out of the way to steer clear of showing "atmosphere" in the stadiums. After the Caps goal I heard they went to the standard shot of the grandstand fans politely clapping as if they are at a golf tournament. If I were in the TV truck calling the shots I'd have picked a close up shot of the south end of the stadium where people were waving flags, scarves and singing their heads off. Most sports broadcasts do this, A-League broadcasts don't. It's a shame, if more broadcasts showed the fans actually getting into the game as opposed to trying to make games look like "young family friendly" perhaps people might check the games out in their own cities.

Sounds a lot like what happened during the Canada-Belize broadcasts. I was at both game, and only caught a portion of the repeats, but from what I hear the director made sure to avoid us (the Voyageurs) like the plague.

Are we that ugly? :(

Archived