ChampionsWorld Series (R)

Jarrek

Chinaglia says things that are occasionally stupid or just plain wrong but at least he's honest. That's way better than the forced nature of Bretos and Rauter. With Chinaglia you don't get the sense that he's trying to sell you the game - he just calls it like he see's it. Yes, he's too negative - that probably comes from being an old pro - but when Kewell or Petrov play poor he calls it like it is. I wouldn't hire him but he annoys me less than Bretos.

Mimglow, in economics they say that their is no accounting for taste but I'll make it more specific: there is no accounting for how anyone could have a taste for Rauter. In my peer group he is the most loathed individual in the entire Canadian soccer world. Carl Fletcher was terrible but no one hates him the way they do Rauter. It's the pauses that kill me.

Vic: "Do you... think... he meant to... do that?"

Dick: "Well, normally scoring goals is the object of the game Vic."

Vic: "So why don't... they do it more... often?"

Carl: "... Yes? ..."

Vic: "Thank you... Carl... now stay tuned... because... I've got... a feeling... there's more... where that came from... after... this."

Mike.

So that's why Sven is so sterile during matches. He has used all his inventiveness seducing birds and all his passon shagging them, and has none left over to pay attention to what is happening on the field when Engerland play.

Sven was a good choice in late 2000 when they were on their heels. A foreign coach to rise above the politics was a stroke of genius, and somebody that was stable at man management. But his lack of flexibility and imagination within matches has been shown again and again, and England will never be inspired to win anything important with him at the helm now.

I agree that his personal life (even with the company secretary) is no one's business and should not effect his professional life (a la Clinton). But, if this drives him out, it would be good timing for England. The 8 million pound compensation clause may make the FA sit it out before firing him, but if they refuse to publically support him and start privately looking for a coach, they could probably let or make Sven leave for a continental club on agreement for a reduced payout.

Sorry, it's off-topic, but I couldn't avoid throwing my 2 cents in.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

I was very impressed with them last night and also i wasnt bored watching it for anyone who thinks these games are boring

You weren't bored but that doesn't mean that everyone is going to feel the same way. Eg. I watched the Blue Jays instead (first time in a long, long time) and I wasn't bored (in fact the end was exciting).

I can't believe that more people seemed to have paid attention to a totally meaningless Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich match than to the Argentina vs. Brazil Copa America final that was on at the same time! I am bewildered.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

[brI can't believe that more people seemed to have paid attention to a totally meaningless Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich match than to the Argentina vs. Brazil Copa America final that was on at the same time! I am bewildered.

The copa was on TLN. A channel that is not available in different canadian markets to the same extent as RSN. That must explain it. I know of one area Where TLN is part of a a pretty expensive cable package. However, you can get Sportsnet in Toronto as part of the cheapest cable package

TLN is with pretty much a basic cable hook up from Chilliwack to Agassiz (not sure beyond Agassiz, probably Hope too), but to rake in the cash that the Latino population would send in Vancouver it's part of a much more expensive package and thus unavailable to most viewers.

Good for me, so I get to watch Serie A all weekend long! (finally have weekends off, so even if i have nothing to do, i can watch soccer all day saturday and sunday now!!!!)

I can't believe that more people seemed to have paid attention to a totally meaningless Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich match than to the Argentina vs. Brazil Copa America final that was on at the same time! I am bewildered.

I watched enough of the Man U. game to hear the announcer state, with a mystified tone, that Hargreaves was one of very few "Englishmen" to play outside of the EPL :D

It was funny that the penalties in the Arg-Brazil match started almost simultaneously and that one team in each game missed their first two shots (especially the one that the Argentinian Beckhamed!

Chanaglia is an executive with Champions World - he has a vested interest in the results! BTW he just purchased a lower level Itlaian League side named Lanciano - a far cry from his days running Lazio and the Cosmos!

I can't believe that people watch serie A games when there's a La Liga match at the same time, but everyone's different.

But don't worry, in this case many more people saw the better match. I went to an Irish bar to watch Brasil-Argentina. This bar is even mentioned on the front page of www.mufcusa.com : " The famed Irish bar serves as a bastion of Manchester United support throughout the year, offering Reds a home that is second-to-none in the States."

Yet, even at that location there were about 300 people watching Brasil-Argentina and maybe 50 watching Utd-Bayern. I think its very safe to say that (in N. America) there were at least 100 people watching the Copa America for every one person watching Champions Series.

Archived