Canadians abroad: July 23-29, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

Friday, July 23

8:00 PM on FSWC — Canada/United States: A-League

Richmond vs. Rochester (Theo Zagar)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for July 23-29, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Saarbrucken played Coventry in a friendly this Friday evening. Saarbrucken won 2-0. The club made multiple substitutions and it looks like Nsaliwa played wide left in the midfield in the first half. Wholesale subsitutions meant many players only played one half so nothing should be made of him being subbed off.

As mentioned in another thread, there was no sign of Marcina so one can only assume that he wasn't successful in making the squad.

Mike Klukowski was similarly singled-out for poor control, and a defensive error which led to the opposing team's first goal inside the minute mark - against a team from a lower division. He was moved tp midfield...

...not such a great start for our guys

Guest Jeffery S.

Kenny got the shutout as Enkopings won 2-0 in Swedish Superettan action. They push out of relegation zone.

Playing in front of less than 900 fans in a small Swedish town is not exactly the stuff national team call-ups is made of I'd say. What's the diff with A-League, anyone?

I would say that Adam Braz is the one to ask, as to the difference. He played for the Impact two years ago, then left last year for Vasteras in the Swedish Suprettan, and is now back with the Impact.

Seem to remember, as he was leaving Vasteras, that he was looking for a club in the Allveskan or he was coming back to Canada. Apparently, Vasteras did not have enough money to pay him.

Seems to have been a regular starter for both the Impact and Vasteras although the Impact have had a lot of injuries.

Striker Elliott Godfrey has not been offered a contract by Colchester United, after having recently trialed with the club.

http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ThisWeeksNewsdetail/0,,10424~543982,00.html

Speaking about the latest situation on the triallists, Parky confirmed that ex-Watford duo Sam Swonell and Elliott Godfrey have left the U's and won't face their former club on Saturday.

Youngsters Swonell and Godfrey had played in several of the U's pre-season friendlies - turning out against Grays, Saffron Walden and Halstead Town - but won't be able to face the Hornets when they come to Layer Road this weekend.

The U's boss told U's World: "We won't be giving contracts to Sam and Elliott. They did okay, but I felt that they just fell a little bit short of getting in our first team and they needed to play first team football, because they have already experienced at reserve level at Watford."

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I would say that Adam Braz is the one to ask, as to the difference. He played for the Impact two years ago, then left last year for Vasteras in the Swedish Suprettan, and is now back with the Impact.

Seem to remember, as he was leaving Vasteras, that he was looking for a club in the Allveskan or he was coming back to Canada. Apparently, Vasteras did not have enough money to pay him.

Seems to have been a regular starter for both the Impact and Vasteras although the Impact have had a lot of injuries.

I just want to get some perspective. The T-Bay Chill played their last games of the season last weekend, losing to the Fire Reserves. On the Friday night they had about 850 fans, the same as Enkopings is drawing in 2nd tier Sweden.

Was amazed looking at attendances that Des Moines had over 3000 for a Chill visit in June. Would seem like a good spot for A-League, I know they have talked about it and think they have that new stadium. Anyone known anything about their prospects (didn't we have someone here living nearby?)?

Guest Jeffery S.

See the Fernandes News thread for full report on his 2nd half vs. Girondins in pre-season play, gave up one of the goals in a 2-1 loss. Thunder seems to have pushed into 2nd spot in the keeper pecking order, with the guy ahead of him a 35-year-old. Sounds like they are serious about him.

I realize my reply did not really help you Jeffrey. I was only trying to relate an A-League player to a Suprettan player and Braz is the obvious guy.

Great news about Fernandez and I am glad he is doing so well. Jeffrey, in your conversations with Daniel, does he still seem eager to play for Canada at some point?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

I realize my reply did not really help you Jeffrey. I was only trying to relate an A-League player to a Suprettan player and Braz is the obvious guy.

Great news about Fernandez and I am glad he is doing so well. Jeffrey, in your conversations with Daniel, does he still seem eager to play for Canada at some point?

I haven't actually spoken to Daniel in a year, only occasional mails. Lately not too much news from him. Daniel is of Portuguese background, and you can imagine that having won the Portugues junior league with Porto once and come runner up the next year he was a prospect for them. But he always insisted when we spoke that he was Canadian, feels Canadian, and wanted to play for Canada.

Oddly enough, for all his activity in friendlies in the year and a half build up to the World U-20s he eventually was not called up for, he was never capped. So though he has played for us quite a bit he is not cap tied.

From these pre-season bits of news I get a strong feeling he is going to get some starts for Paok in the league, and who knows what may happen if they can get through the Champions previous rounds into the group stage. One particular advantage of where he plays, in Canada terms, is that they are always free on FIFA dates.

Guest Jeffery S.

Stephen Ademolu started and subbed off m. 84 as Trelleborgs lost 1-0 to Sundsvall in Sweden top flight.

I see Marco Reda is not dressed for Sogndal, playing now in Norway Elite Series. Did he go and aggravate his longstanding injury when he was with Canada? Sure hope not.

Olivier Occean has started for Odd Grenland, and Bernier is on the bench for Tromso, good sign.

See www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/sport for live updates of Norway.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

Otto scores for Odd Grenland in the 66 minute to pull one back for Odd, who are down 4-2 to Bodo/Glimt.

Poor day for Canucks in Norway. Bernier did not get on as Tromso lost at home 0-3 and are no longer league leader (Rosenborg is). Occean got his goal but they lost 3-5 at home. Reda was not dressed for struggling Sogndal, who lost in the last minute to Staebak 1-2.

San Jose were losing to 2-0 and down to 10 men in the 90th minute, before getting one goal back. Then DeRo sets up Ching for the tying goal in the 94th minute.

Video is available on

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/mls/sights/

I'd post the actual link to the video, but the URL is huge and I can't use a link-shortening site, since it is an "mms://" URL. Is there any way to shorten a link on this board? I hate side-scrolling. :(

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

San Jose were losing to 2-0 and down to 10 men in the 90th minute, before getting one goal back. Then DeRo sets up Ching for the tying goal in the 94th minute.

If you watch the highlights of the entire match, you'll see that DeRo had a goal called back on a terrible offsides call. He was about 5 yeards onside when the pass was made, and snuck behind everyone to just hammer a shiot into the top right corner, but somehow the officials called him offside.

Tough break for DeRo, but still, great work setting up that tying goal in injury time.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

If you watch the highlights of the entire match, you'll see that DeRo had a goal called back on a terrible offsides call. He was about 5 yeards onside when the pass was made, and snuck behind everyone to just hammer a shiot into the top right corner, but somehow the officials called him offside.

Tough break for DeRo, but still, great work setting up that tying goal in injury time.

Actually Rudi, its worse than that: It was called back because the linesman flagged a foul on another San Jose Player. San Jose was given a free kick outside of the box rather than the goal.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Actually Rudi, its worse than that: It was called back because the linesman flagged a foul on another San Jose Player. San Jose was given a free kick outside of the box rather than the goal.

WTF??? Are you kidding me? Do these officials not know of the advantage rule?

No wonder everyone on BigSoccer complains about MLS referees.

Guest Jeffery S.

Otto scores his 8th goal of the season for Odd Grenland. No longer leading goal-scorer of the Tippeligaen, but still one of the league leaders.

Friend also has 8 goals for Moss of the First Division.

I see this list has him with 7, and tied for 7th overall in scoring. A goal every two games.

http://tux.aftenposten.no/fotballdirekte/live.do?method=goal_scorer&league=1&paper=1

Fernando Aguiar is going in for arthroscopy today as his knee has been hurting and the swelling and irritation has not gone down significantly in the last weeks. The club is a bit concerned that he may have come in injured, but in fact Aguiar has not lost more than a day injured in years. So it looks like the damage was done in that first reserve game he played for Landskrona.

I also saw this morn that Tranmere drew scoreless yesterday with Racing Santander, I haven't seen if Humey played though.

Guest Jeffery S.

Same answer.

Same wrong answer from I can see, unless you can indicate otherwise Dwayne. The link I posted includes the last game and shows cards, goals and other stats for all his league matches.

Atiba got 90 minutes and assisted on the last goal as Helsingborgs won 3-0 over AIK in Sweden, Dandal seems right about them as they are out of relegation and doing better lately.

Landskrona without Aguiar drew 1-1 away, decent result.

Anyone remember who was it who was to go on trial at Lyn in Norway, a youth player perhaps?

Archived