Champions Series

McHawk

Liverpool supporters are in the 100's and 200's behind the south goal and Porto's in the 100's in behind the north (JumboTron end) from what I could tell when trying to buy tickets. I'm cheap so I'm up in the 500's; I would have loved to be in the 'Pool supporters but they sold out nearly instantaneously and I had to get tickets for a group of five. Already having spent way too much on Celtic tickets (my other team and announced first) there was no way I could justify platinums. Lousy Porto supporters (Euro champs and T.O. big Portugese community to boot!) hadn't filled their section though and my sister's boyfriend (a neutral) got cheap tickets in the Porto supporters end only a month ago even though there is less seating for them.

Traore is pants. Unfortunately like many Houllier singings I have a lingering fear that as soon as we sell him he'll blossom into the next Thuram (which is how he's always been billed). For more on this see Bruno Cheyrou who I'm sure will become the next Zidane now that he's left Anfield... at least Flo-Po seens to be delivering the goods on schedule.

Cisse, Murphy, and Risse had stormers last night. Even Henchoz scored and Smicer actually worked his butt off fro the first twenty minutes... can it get any worse than that for Celtic? Stevie G alternated between moments of genius and severe lapses of concentration. Celtic better get there act together by the time they get to T.O. or a whole lot of Canadian Celtic supporters (myself included) are never gonna here the end of it for the next decade from all the Italians around here.

Mike.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Lousy Porto supporters (Euro champs and T.O. big Portugese community to boot!) hadn't filled their section though and my sister's boyfriend (a neutral) got cheap tickets in the Porto supporters end only a month ago even though there is less seating for them.

Lousy Porto supporters? I guess that's one way to put it. A better label would be: 'Benfica supporters'. Why would they sit in the Porto section?

Porto as dominated the Portugese league for a decade and just completed back to back UEFA and CL victories... if you can't sell out one smaller end of a stadium after that then you've got lousy supporters. I don't expect Benfica or Sporting supporters to be in the Porto end just like I wouldn't expect to ever find myself in a MUFC or Rangers end. I would just think that after a decade of dominance and winning your nation's first European trophy since the 80's you'd be able to call on enough supporters TO FILL ONE END! Where are the thousands of Portugese with "soccer in their blood" (to quote one young lady quoted in the press during Euro 2004) who turned out all over southern Ontario this summer? I'd figure that a lot of second generation Portugese-Canadians without close ties to any club would support a Portugese team playing against English opposition but maybe I'm wrong. Maybe all the Portugese-Canadian's who instantly presume that they know way more about the sport than me (and feel the need to throw things at me because I'm wearing an England jersey) don't really know a damn thing about the game and aren't the real supporter's they pretend to be every two or four years?

Do I sound bitter? Yep, but that's gonna last until England thrashes Portugal 5 - 1 (Munich style) in some sort of major tournament so ya'll better get used to it!

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Porto as dominated the Portugese league for a decade and just completed back to back UEFA and CL victories... if you can't sell out one smaller end of a stadium after that then you've got lousy supporters. ....

Do I sound bitter? Yep, but that's gonna last until England thrashes Portugal 5 - 1 (Munich style) in some sort of major tournament so ya'll better get used to it!

Mike.

Yup, ya sound bitter! [:P] Portugal is too small to have several clubs supported to the same extent as Liverpool, Arsenal, Man Utd, Newcastle, etc. They have Benfica but the rest of the clubs will have to settle for relatively small fan-bases.

Remember the Alaves x Liverpool UEFA Cup final? Almost every Alaves supporter attended that game, but they were still totally outnumbered by Liverpool fans. Wouldn't call them lousy or unknowledgeble Alaves supporters on the basis of that.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Lousy Porto supporters? I guess that's one way to put it. A better label would be: 'Benfica supporters'. Why would they sit in the Porto section?

I think this is the point, Benfica supporters are not overly interested in watching Porto. It'd be like expecting Man U fans to come out for Liverpool, some will, but not that many.

And my guess is that the Portuguese immigration has historically been more Benfica supporters as they gave "glory" to Portugal (plus Eusebio) back when they were looking for national symbols to reaffirm pride in the nation they left (esp. 60s). The fact that Benfica was also the Salazar regime's team is moot in this respect, it doesn't mean folks were fascist for following them, they were proud and not fully assimilated Portuguese-Canadians, just as Real Madrid supporters were mostly proud Spaniards desperate for a winning symbol in the fading years of Franco.

Thus many Portuguese not from Lisbon adopted them as their team, such as the big immigration in TO from Azores, especially since the Azores teams were rarely going to win anything (parallel to Spain's big Gallego (Galicia) emigration, mostly and even still Real Madrid fans as Celta Vigo was rarely in contention and Depor in 2nd division back them).

Maybe someone in the know in TO could clarify this, as it is mostly speculation and hunch.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I think this is the point, Benfica supporters are not overly interested in watching Porto. It'd be like expecting Man U fans to come out for Liverpool, some will, but not that many.

And there's no way I'm paying $50 to see Roma! Why should I give them money? [xx(]

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

And there's no way I'm paying $50 to see Roma! Why should I give them money? [xx(]

Right on, help the rival financially, or even have to put up with the rival's fans?

I would never go to see Madrid play anyone except Barça, though that means not having dinner if we lose. The only time I was ever nice to a Madrid fan, barring clients, was a couple days after the March 11 attacks when they poured in for the Copa del Rey to Barcelona. I tried to be human. And they were reciprocally kind enough to lose to Zaragoza.

(The fact is Real Madrid fell apart after that attack, and though noone says it, I will: the tragedy demoralized them.)

"It'd be like expecting Man U fans to come out for Liverpool, some will, but not that many."

it's funny you should say that. when i saw united v. celtic in seattle last year guys sitting directly beside and in front of me were wearing liverpool jerseys but cheering for united (instead of the traditionally friendly liverpool rival of celtic!). i saw more than them too!

quote:Originally posted by torontosupport

Are you a Lazio fan, then?

Yes. (But even if they were part of this tour, I think I still wouldn't want to go.)

Right on, help the rival financially, or even have to put up with the rival's fans?

First part mostly. Especially now when both Lazio and Roma are having financial difficulties, how bad would it be to chip in for the rivals?!? As for the second part, I hadn't really thought about that. Italians here seem to be Juventus, Milan or Inter fans; I think most of the Italians who attend on Saturday will be there just to see an Italian team rather than because they are actual Roma fans.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by DJT

Yes. (But even if they were part of this tour, I think I still wouldn't want to go.)

First part mostly. Especially now when both Lazio and Roma are having financial difficulties, how bad would it be to chip in for the rivals?!? As for the second part, I hadn't really thought about that. Italians here seem to be Juventus, Milan or Inter fans; I think most of the Italians who attend on Saturday will be there just to see an Italian team rather than because they are actual Roma fans.

I could see an interest in seeing some national team players, in spite of the club. I go to Spain when (however rarely) they play here as in the end I don't mind cheering for Raúl or Helguera when dressed like bullfighters and not like brides.

And my guess is that the Portuguese immigration has historically been more Benfica supporters as they gave "glory" to Portugal (plus Eusebio) back when they were looking for national symbols to reaffirm pride in the nation they left (esp. 60s). The fact that Benfica was also the Salazar regime's team is moot in this respect, it doesn't mean folks were fascist for following them, they were proud and not fully assimilated Portuguese-Canadians, just as Real Madrid supporters were mostly proud Spaniards desperate for a winning symbol in the fading years of Franco.

Thus many Portuguese not from Lisbon adopted them as their team, such as the big immigration in TO from Azores, especially since the Azores teams were rarely going to win anything (parallel to Spain's big Gallego (Galicia) emigration, mostly and even still Real Madrid fans as Celta Vigo was rarely in contention and Depor in 2nd division back them).

Maybe someone in the know in TO could clarify this, as it is mostly speculation and hunch.

From my experience with the Portuguese population in TO most fans are either distinct Sporting Lisbon fans, or hard-core Benfica fans. I am sure it depends on roughly what neighboorhood your family is from in Lisbon. Canada doesn't get that many immigrants from Porto, they have good up there - people don't need to leave. Additionally, people from other areas in Portugal tend to grab a major power club to be a fan of because they know that their local club will never win. It's like England being almost split over Liverpool and Man U, or Italy with Juve and AC Milan.

I'm a Gunners fan, so I definitely sat in the neutral section of Liverpuddle and Porto. But the English in me would prefer Liverpool to win. (but I'll never admit it to their faces)

The only time I was ever nice to a Madrid fan, barring clients, was a couple days after the March 11 attacks when they poured in for the Copa del Rey to Barcelona. I tried to be human. And they were reciprocally kind enough to lose to Zaragoza.

(The fact is Real Madrid fell apart after that attack, and though noone says it, I will: the tragedy demoralized them.)

Athletico Madrid and Rayo Vallecano also went into the tank after the attacks. Atl. Madrid played sub-.500 after March 11th after being well above .500 prior (and lost a UEFA Cup spot in the process). Rayo played 15 games after March 11th and won just two of them (which sent them to the 3rd division). And, of course, Real Madrid had an even worse record than Rayo post-March 11th.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Hey buddy, The plan is that we are meeting at the Duke of Glouchester before the game. I believe Ryan and I will be there around 3:00 and they have Beer (like all bars) But i heard they have busses to the game for free.

keay1@rogers.com

Email for more details

Now that I think of it, since I don't predict I'll be downtown until 7, we might just head right to the stadium. If I don't see you at the Duke, drink an extra one for me.

I just met Costinha, Maniche, postiga, Seitaridis, nuno valente today at the woodbridge soccer club they were training on the facility. Just the following players were there cus of the long break they had cus of euro. then later in the afternoon the whole team came.

Archived