Champions Series

McHawk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Joe05

One can be excited by going to these games and by Canadian soccer. You don't have to like on and hate the other.

Nobody is saying any differently. What we are saying is that if you only go to these games and don't support your local sides then you suck bum.:D

I think that by being a good consumer of these Champion's Series games you send the most important signals of all the the corporate world $$$$! By supporting these types of matches, you create interest in the viability of the local market. Ultimately, you are assisting in the creation of the economic infrastructure of our own local leagues and teams. That being said, you should also make the effort of buying tickets at least once for your local team. Who knows, you might get addicted.

Watched Manu vs the Germans.

Glad I didn't make the trip anywhere or paid 100 bucks for a ticket for that dog.

They have been having these types of exibition tournaments in North America since the late 1950's. And they have all been big draws. And I hate to say this- they do nothing for creating viability in the local market for soccer leagues. Just like the 99 World Cup did nothing long term for a Women's Pro League. Or the big crowds in Edmonton for the U-19's did nothing for the Great Soccer Air Crash of 2004.

They are festivals. Like the Jazz fest in Montreal. Once it leaves town, the local jazz bars go back to half filled friday nights showcasing local hacks.

An example for creating a good solid crowd base is Montreal. It's taken years and has a good on feild product to get to crowds of 10,000. The next logical step would be moving to MCGill getting the gate up to 15,000 for a few years and then bidding for an MLS team.

Slow and steady will win the day-- not european reserve team (ManU's side vs Bayern...) fixtures that cause boredom or even worst--longings for EPL fixtures between Southampton and Everton.

It seems the soccer dreamers in North America want to skip the hard work part and dream about super leagues with team drawing 30k in places like Halifax. Edmonton should have started with a PDL team, create a solid base of 4000 then move up to the A-league.

The reason these crap pre season games are played here, is MONEY. Back home they'd draw flies and those with no lives. How many Canadians would pay 100 bucks to watch a pre season NHL game for a hundred bucks???????????????????????

In Toronto? You could unload $100 tickets to pre-season leaf games. We'll pay anything! Just ask Ballard (God rest his develish soul.) You could put 5 circus bears in Leaf uniform and skates, and we'll pay $600 bucks a platinum, and average 19,000 seats a game. We will consume!

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Ok I'm going to the Champions Series Porto v. Liverpool. I am in Section 241, which section is that? Liverpool section or Porto section?

Why does it have to be one or the other? Me thinks 95% of the stadium will be neither a Liverpool nor a Porto section.

I'm not sure how it will all work out. But the options were made very clear on the phone ticket purchase system. There is a huge Portuguese population in the T-dot. And Liverpuddle fans are everywhere. Maybe they anticipate a divided affair?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

How many Canadians would pay 100 bucks to watch a pre season NHL game for a hundred bucks???????????????????????

Lots, actually. And its not a fair comparison anyway because the NHL is here all year long. For soccer fans this is a rare chance to see quality soccer LIVE. And before anyone says there's no quality because they're playing their B teams (which is not entirely true anyway), lets face it: Chelsea B side could beat the Greek National team easy!

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Lots, actually. And its not a fair comparison anyway because the NHL is here all year long. For soccer fans this is a rare chance to see quality soccer LIVE. And before anyone says there's no quality because they're playing their B teams (which is not entirely true anyway), lets face it: Chelsea B side could beat the Greek National team easy!

Man better watch what you say! Half the Danforth in Toronto will stone you to death with day old baclavas! And, pre-season games in hockey towns often sell out in Canada, and other hockey nations. Last year the Leafs did their warm-up games in Sweden and Finland and they were against local clubs. The attendance was big.

quote:Originally posted by frostman

Man better watch what you say! Half the Danforth in Toronto will stone you to death with day old baclavas! And, pre-season games in hockey towns often sell out in Canada, and other hockey nations.

That's because season-ticket holders are FORCED to buy pre-season tickets as well! Hence, there's nothing remotely impressive about those sold-out preseason games.

Theoretically, the stadium could be completely empty (I'm talking not even one person in attendance), and the announced crowd will still be equal to X + 0.5Y, where "X" is the number of full season ticket holders and "Y" is the number of half-season ticket holders.

lets face it: Chelsea B side could beat the Greek National team easy!

Like Portugal, France, the Czechs and others could? Im not going to say the B-Sides aren't quality, but I think the Greeks have earned a bit more respect than to dismiss them at this time against any side.

That being said, if I was at that Man U game yesterday, Id be pretty unhappy with the daycare XI they started considering the cost of ticket. Still, I do think that kind of squad was a one off. I know that Liverpool for instance can't even consider a squad like that, they didnt bring enough young players to do it. :)

That's because season-ticket holders are FORCED to buy pre-season tickets as well! Hence, there's nothing remotely impressive about those sold-out preseason games.

Theoretically, the stadium could be completely empty (I'm talking not even one person in attendance), and the announced crowd will still be equal to X + 0.5Y, where "X" is the number of full season ticket holders and "Y" is the number of half-season ticket holders.

I believe you are wrong about pre-season (in particular in Toronto)... hell, the Leafs sell out a pre season skate and team skills competitions.

quote:Originally posted by Ryan Keay

Like Portugal, France, the Czechs and others could? Im not going to say the B-Sides aren't quality, but I think the Greeks have earned a bit more respect than to dismiss them at this time against any side.

That being said, if I was at that Man U game yesterday, Id be pretty unhappy with the daycare XI they started considering the cost of ticket. Still, I do think that kind of squad was a one off. I know that Liverpool for instance can't even consider a squad like that, they didnt bring enough young players to do it. :)

Have Porto and Liverpool brought the A-team boys? For my $50 I wanna see Gerrard feeding Owen and Cisse some nice crosses. Also, It will be interesting to see what strategy Benitez will implement. If his Valencia success will rub off on the puddleboyz. Has anyone heard of the Porto/Liverpool line-ups as of yet?

Guest Jeffery S.

Have Porto and Liverpool brought the A-team boys? For my $50 I wanna see Gerrard feeding Owen and Cisse some nice crosses. Also, It will be interesting to see what strategy Benitez will implement. If his Valencia success will rub off on the puddleboyz. Has anyone heard of the Porto/Liverpool line-ups as of yet?

Benitez's success at Valencia could mean success for Liverpool, but there is not much hope of interesting play. Sorry to say. Solid, consistent, unflashy. Hard to really say what he plays in fact.

For all those arguing about quality of these matches, let me just say that Barça played better vs. Milan last summer in the States than they did for the first half of the season. And that was the only game where Ricardo Quaresma really shined all year, he was great. Maybe he'll do the same for Porto. So sometimes a friendly like this can actually be better: at least there is no reason to go into a defensive shell after scoring a goal, and there are enough changes made to even save a bad 1st half with a totally different, newly motivated side in the 2nd.

If I were there I'd go, and I am not one of those denied such teams during the year in official matches.

Liverpool's Starting XI for the game tonight against Celtic:

Kirkland

Finnan Hyypia Carragher Riise

Smicer Biscan Hamann Kewell

Owen Baros

So for this game theyve got a few of the big guns playing, but Gerrard and Cisse amongst other regulars are starting on the bench so its likely theyll get to start in Toronto.

In a note that Im sure just about no one aside from me will care about, Liverpool defender Djimi Traore has pulled out of the squad for the tour due to a muscle injury.

For the record, ther Chelsea-Celtic (4-2) game did have some action in Seattle. Some beautiful passing on display, particularly in the first half helped keep things interesting. Without Larssen, Cletic will be hurting against Rangers in the SPL and abroad. Damn was it hot too- about 35 and with hardly a spot of shade in the house.The players tired early and most of the subs looked just as shagged. Kezman put on quite a show in the second half with two pretty goals. Anybody else go to that game?

quote:Originally posted by nolando

For the record, ther Chelsea-Celtic (4-2) game did have some action in Seattle. Some beautiful passing on display, particularly in the first half helped keep things interesting. Without Larssen, Cletic will be hurting against Rangers in the SPL and abroad. Damn was it hot too- about 35 and with hardly a spot of shade in the house.The players tired early and most of the subs looked just as shagged. Kezman put on quite a show in the second half with two pretty goals. Anybody else go to that game?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/traore/

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

Ok I'm going to the Champions Series Porto v. Liverpool. I am in Section 241, which section is that? Liverpool section or Porto section? Just was curious, cus I'm cheering for Porto :)

There are only a couple of sections behind the goals actually labelled as supporters' sections. You're closer to the Porto side. I'm in the Liverpoo section.

11772s.gif

Archived