Champions Series

McHawk

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

Yawn.

If only North Americans invested this much passion into their own clubs...

Are you saying that European football is MUCH more popular in North America than North American football is in North America. If so, you couldn't be more wrong. Yes, 60k in a stadium can make lots of noise. But how many people watch Champions League or the Euro Championships in North America compared to even MLS (nevermind Mexican FL). Yup, much less.

No, it doesn't diminish you as Canada soccer fans. Supporting other soccer events is positive.

It does if you do not make similiar efforts to see Canada play. But if you travel to Hartford and Philly to see Celtic, but not to Kingston to see Canada, then there is something seriously wrong if you live in Toronto. You are living in the wrong country my friend.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

No, it doesn't diminish you as Canada soccer fans. Supporting other soccer events is positive.

It does if you do not make similiar efforts to see Canada play. But if you travel to Hartford and Philly to see Celtic, but not to Kingston to see Canada, then there is something seriously wrong if you live in Toronto. You are living in the wrong country my friend.

I would agree with you mostly if the game in Kingston was a second-round match or a HEX match. But that whole (revamped) first-round proved to be a waste of time. I mean, not a single upset to be found and some 18-0 aggregate scores. I'll pass or just watch on TV (if possible).

Liverpool's roster has been announced, pretty much a full squad, minus El Hadji Diouf who is almost certainly gone now. Also interesting for CONCACAF purposes, American defender Zak Whitbread is one of the three young players in the squad with no first team experience.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N145442040723-1629.htm

J Dudek

C Kirkland

P Harrison

S Finnan

J Carragher

S Hyypia

S Henchoz

D Traore

J A Riise

S Warnock

Z Whitbread

S Gerrard

D Hamann

D Murphy

S Diao

I Biscan

A Le Tallec

V Smicer

H Kewell

M Owen

D Cisse

F Sinama Pongolle

M Baros

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

I would agree with you mostly if the game in Kingston was a second-round match or a HEX match. But that whole (revamped) first-round proved to be a waste of time. I mean, not a single upset to be found and some 18-0 aggregate scores. I'll pass or just watch on TV (if possible).

I don't mean to criticize the people on this forum that will attend, but in my eyes the ChampionsWorld Series is a waste of time.

How is it a waste of time? You get to see high quality players play infront of you.

No offence to any canadian national team member. But seeing Steven Gerrard half ass it with micheal owen could still show more skill then alot of our own players. I really dont think you can pass up something like this. You get to see the European champions against liverpool. Not much of a waste of time.

On another note, Are any voyaguers meeting up at a bar before the Liverpool/Porto match? im in for some pre game drinking

quote:Originally posted by DJT

I don't mean to criticize the people on this forum that will attend, but in my eyes the ChampionsWorld Series is a waste of time.

I would compare the Champions Series to the group-stage of the World Cup of Hockey. Technically the games don't "count" for anything, but they can still provide some entertainment.

Plus they can still hold some importance on an individual player basis (would Christiano Ronaldo even be playing for Man United if he didn't sparkle in the Sporting-Man U preseason match last August?).

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Actually I'd add it does diminish you as a Canadian soccer fan if you attend these foreign clubs games but don't support the pro-club in your city.

quote:Actually I'd add it does diminish you as a Canadian soccer fan if you attend these foreign clubs games but don't support the pro-club in your city.

If you don't support the pro club in your city I don't think it would classify you as a Canadian Soccer fan in the first place.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

If you don't support the pro club in your city I don't think it would classify you as a Canadian Soccer fan in the first place.

Well you wouldn't think so, but there are those that consider themselves Canadian soccer fans just because they watch Canada play on the TV. Take a poll and see how many people who live in A-League cities actually attend their club teams games on a regular basis.

I certainly agree with the spirit of what you guys (Jarrek and Krammerhead) are saying, but I think you are being too restrictive (in fact, your criteria eliminate me from being a Canadian soccer fan). For one thing, you can't force someone to be a fan of his local A-League club if his heart is with a local amateur/semi-pro club (and isn't that the most important thing? isn't that what separates glory-hunters from real fans?).

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

How is it a waste of time?

amacpher said that the previous round of CONCACAF WCQ was a waste of time because it was uncompetitive, despite the fact that it counted for something meaningful (ie. it was still the World Cup). In direct response I say that the ChampionsWorld Series is a waste of time because it counts for nothing, despite the fact that the players are world class. We all have our own criteria; I guess I just put more weight on the significance of a match than other people.

Unrelated, I still can't get over the hypocrisy of these clubs complaining about FIFA adding just one match to create a true Club World Championship, then doing a tour where they play 3 or 4 matches in 7 or 8 days!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Unrelated, I still can't get over the hypocrisy of these clubs complaining about FIFA adding just one match to create a true Club World Championship, then doing a tour where they play 3 or 4 matches in 7 or 8 days!

Personally I think the two are unrelated. These are pre-season warm-up games . After the fiasco in an English league tune up FIFA did away with sub's rule for club friendlies (?)

This is a way for clubs to make maximum $$ for games they would play anyways .

If fans want to pay the dough to see players in BIG LEAGUE kits ....fill your boots......

But it is not true competitive games. Enjoy the event if you want but let's not confuse this series with anything more than Arsenal playing Canvey Island in an exhibition game. But you will see your top players live ,that's it that's all.

What's with Celtic playing 4 matches in 8 days, especially with all the heat and travel? They already looked knackered after the match yesterday with Chelsea, and they have a very limited number of reserves. They are going to need a holiday after this.

quote:I certainly agree with the spirit of what you guys (Jarrek and Krammerhead) are saying, but I think you are being too restrictive (in fact, your criteria eliminate me from being a Canadian soccer fan). For one thing, you can't force someone to be a fan of his local A-League club if his heart is with a local amateur/semi-pro club (and isn't that the most important thing? isn't that what separates glory-hunters from real fans?)

You are correct.

Archived