Canada-Millwall Articles

nolando

CSA Report:

Canada Earns Well Deserved 1-0 Win Over Millwall

Burnaby, BC - Canada’s Men’s World Cup Development Team earned a well deserved 1-0 win over English First Division and 2004 FA Cup Finalists Millwall FC at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, BC, Wednesday night.

Playing their second game in the tournament, hosted and organized by the BC Soccer Association, the Canadians scored the game’s only goal in the 5th minute. Josh Simpson intercepted a pass at his own 18 and set off on a 50-yard run before sliding a perfectly weighted pass to the streaking Olivier Occean. Occean shrugged off a tackle by Millwall defender Darren Ward and, keeping his balance, slid the ball past the Millwall goalkeeper.

Ten minutes later the English side was reduced to 10 men when Matthew Lawrence was sent off for deliberately stomping on a prone Kevin de Serpa. The visitors started a large number of regulars but were no match for the Canadians on the night.

For the second consecutive game, the young group of Canadians outplayed their opposition and delivered an extremely entertaining effort.

Due in part to the departure of Tyler Hughes, Gabriel Gervais and Greg Sutton, Canadian head coach Frank Yallop rearranged his lineup with Simpson slotting in at left back and Marco Reda and Nevio Pizzolitto paired in the centre of a back four with Adrian Serioux dropping into the right back position. Serioux, who was impressive as a defensive midfielder in Monday’s 1-1 draw with Hearts, and the rest of back four allowed only one shot on goal and looked composed all night. Canadian goalkeeper Theo Zagar earned the shutout.

Vancouver’s Alfredo Valente started the game wide left but was forced to leave in the 60th minute with a hamstring pull and was replaced by Mesut Mert. Terry Dunfield and Mauro Biello controlled the midfield while Kevin de Serpa and then Chris Lemire partnered Occean up front.

Seventeen-year-old Jaime Peters started wide right and put on a show to start the second half when he ran the Millwall defenders ragged with a series of runs, dribbles, feints and crosses which had the crowd buzzing. Occean complemented his goal with a powerful and determined performance, battling for every ball and holding the ball up when needed. He came close to scoring a second with a surging run and quick shot from outside the 18, which the keeper did well to turn aside for a corner.

Yallop was again extremely pleased with the performance by his team which in only five days managed to come together and provide two outstanding efforts.

“I couldn’t be happier with the performances put in by the players. This has been a huge benefit to our program and has been a giant step forward in terms of forming the nucleus of players we will use in the semi-final round of qualifying. I want to personally thank BC Soccer for showing the initiative in hosting this great event and providing us with this opportunity,” said Yallop.

The Men’s World Cup Team will return to Vancouver on August 18 when it faces Guatemala in the opening game of the semi-final round of World Cup Qualifying at Swangard Stadium.

Canada: Theo Zagar, Josh Simpson, Marco Reda, Nevio Pizzolitto, Adrian Serioux, Alfredo Valente (Mesut Mert, 60), Terry Dunfield, Mauro Biello, Jaime Peters, Kevin de Serpa (Chris Lemire, 60), Olivier Occean. Frank Yallop.

millwall supporters had a different view of the game. If you ever go on a Millwall fansite, they always yammer about about how hard done by they are. For example, "The police didn't have to arrest 20,000 Millwall supporters. We was only having a LITTLE riot. And it was that one West Ham supporting crippled Granny that started it all. We was rioting in self defense".

http://millwall.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=937&p=2&stid=8353107

Moose Shaggers 1, Bored holidaymakers 0

Hopeless, just hopeless. First shot on goal was half way through the second half. Having said that the game was ruined as a contest when the ref showed a red card to Matty after about 6 minutes, with the Moose Shaggers up by one.

There is a world of difference between a FIFA badge in North America and one in Europe. This ref was just plain clueless, and out of his depth handling two solid physical teams. He blew little stuff and completely missed the 'professional' fouls - ours and theirs.

Marvin started out like a man on fire, but quickly burned out. Ifill missed the tackle that led to the goal, and it all fell apart from then. Matty's departure saw Dolan come on for Harris and any threat up front was limited. Canada had a great spell in the second half with goal-line clearances and the lack of an attacking head being all that separated the Lions from disaster.

3000+ on hand, but it was as quiet as the grave - A few game Moose shaggers and the south end were having a sing, but I suspect that they were actually Hammers in disguise. Managed a few "Come on you 'walls", and there was even a fair (given the fact that there were only 30 of us, and we were spread about) 'MIIIIILLLLLLLL' going on.

One for the trivia buffs at the end. Masterson game on for the last three minutes, but Stack stayed on, joining Cogan in attack - and he actually had a decent run at the death. So there you have it, we're off back home to Georgia and will miss the Hearts game, where, knowing our luck they will play a blinder and we will miss it! Leave your opinions on the Message Board.

quote:Originally posted by shaku_bert

millwall supporters had a different view of the game. If you ever go on a Millwall fansite, they always yammer about about how hard done by they are. For example, "The police didn't have to arrest 20,000 Millwall supporters. We was only having a LITTLE riot. And it was that one West Ham supporting crippled Granny that started it all. We was rioting in self defense".

http://millwall.rivals.net/default.asp?sid=937&p=2&stid=8353107

Moose Shaggers 1, Bored holidaymakers 0

Hopeless, just hopeless. First shot on goal was half way through the second half. Having said that the game was ruined as a contest when the ref showed a red card to Matty after about 6 minutes, with the Moose Shaggers up by one.

There is a world of difference between a FIFA badge in North America and one in Europe. This ref was just plain clueless, and out of his depth handling two solid physical teams. He blew little stuff and completely missed the 'professional' fouls - ours and theirs.

Marvin started out like a man on fire, but quickly burned out. Ifill missed the tackle that led to the goal, and it all fell apart from then. Matty's departure saw Dolan come on for Harris and any threat up front was limited. Canada had a great spell in the second half with goal-line clearances and the lack of an attacking head being all that separated the Lions from disaster.

3000+ on hand, but it was as quiet as the grave - A few game Moose shaggers and the south end were having a sing, but I suspect that they were actually Hammers in disguise. Managed a few "Come on you 'walls", and there was even a fair (given the fact that there were only 30 of us, and we were spread about) 'MIIIIILLLLLLLL' going on.

One for the trivia buffs at the end. Masterson game on for the last three minutes, but Stack stayed on, joining Cogan in attack - and he actually had a decent run at the death. So there you have it, we're off back home to Georgia and will miss the Hearts game, where, knowing our luck they will play a blinder and we will miss it! Leave your opinions on the Message Board.

Moose Shaggers...hahahahaha. That was a funny review of the game.

quote:Originally posted by Natesta

Who signed up for the Lion's World webcast last night?

If you didn't cancel your membership it looks like they have video hi-lights of the match as well on the Lions World thing.

That was me. I'm going to check that out right now, before I cancel my subscription.

Thanks for the heads ip on the broadcast. Everyone here appreciates it.

Not Millwall, but close enough:

Fans wear Hearts on sleeves

Cleve Dheensaw

Times Colonist

July 15, 2004

CREDIT: Bruce Stotesbury, Times Colonist

Pacific Coast League All-Star Paul Vandenboomen of Victoria (back) can only watch as Hearts star Kevin McKenna punches in the first goal of the game during Wednesday evening's international soccer exhibition match at Royal Athletic Park. An enthusiastic sellout crowd of soccer fans and Scottish expatriates enjoyed the action as McKenna, a Calgary native and rising Canadian national team star, led his Scottish Premier League club to a 4-1 victory.

The Pacific Coast Soccer League All-Stars tried to avoid fatty football but still suffered a Heart attack Wednesday at Royal Athletic Park. And they were done in, of all things, by a Team Canada player.

The vast difference between the professional club Heart of Midlothian, third last season behind the towering Glasgow duo of Celtic and Rangers in the Scottish Premiership, and the amateur PCSL All-Stars was clearly evident in the skill aspects of the game in their international friendly before a lively and thoroughly entertained crowd of nearly 2,500.

Hearts is headed this season to UEFA Cup play in Europe and showed why against the PCSL amateurs as Canadian international Kevin McKenna of Calgary scored three goals in a 4-1 victory for the Edinburgh club.

McKenna, one of six internationals on the Hearts roster representing the national teams of Scotland, Canada, Australia, Ireland and Finland, first connected at 26 minutes by getting his toe to a wonderful cross by Graham Weir to make it 1-0.

The Canuck did it again at 44 minutes with a laser, a true pro-calibre shot, to the corner. A header off a corner kick early in the second half gave the slippery McKenna the natural hat trick.

If McKenna can repeat moves like that in Canadian red and white during CONCACAF regional World Cup qualifying, who knows what could happen on the road to Germany 2006.

"I believe it's our best chance yet to qualify (for the World Cup) and we'll do well," said McKenna. "Look at the response of the crowd tonight. Soccer is growing in Canada and is on the up."

PCSL All-Stars goalkeeper David Stockton of the Okanagan Challenge played like a pro himself in holding Hearts to only a two-goal advantage after a first half that could just as easily have concluded 5-0 or 6-0.

Stockton stopped wave after maroon wave of Hearts forwards, the highlight being a save on captain Steven Pressley on a penalty shot. Pressley took his chance after All-Stars defender Paul Vandenboomen of Victoria United dragged down a Hearts player in the box.

In fairness to the PCSL amateurs, guided by Victoria United coach Dante Zanatta, they only had an afternoon practice together before being thrust into a game against a big-time overseas pro side. The All-Stars worked hard and left nothing on the pitch.

Second-half sub Tiarnan King of the Richmond Clan made a nice move around the Hearts defence and scored for the All-Stars to make it 3-1 at 63 minutes. Hearts answered through a Dennis Wyness header at 78 minutes to close out the scoring.

Among the few other times Finnish national team goalkeeper Teuvo Moilanen of Hearts was challenged was when the tall 'keeper stood his ground on a hard, high shot by Dan Garner of Seattle Hibernian in the first half and when he tipped a shot on a Garner break in the second half.

"Both sides played well," said McKenna. "They (All-Stars) did well. They scored on us and they passed the ball around."

Hearts, which opens Scottish Premier play Aug. 7 against Dundee at Dens Park, began their combined pre-season training camp and Canadian tour with a 1-1 tie against the Team Canada World Cup Development Team, or Canada B, on Monday at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby as Josh Simpson of Victoria scored in injury time.

It was the second appearance by Hearts at Royal Athletic Park, the first being a 3-0 win over the Victoria All-Stars in 1960. For many Island supporters of the Scottish pro club, the revisit has been too long in coming as the RAP grandstand was dotted with Hearts jerseys and scarves.

Edinburgh native Ben Prosser of Victoria, clad in the familiar maroon jersey of his favourite side, has been a Hearts fan "since I could walk . . . me, my dad, my whole family."

"I was shocked when I heard Hearts was coming to Victoria . . . I couldn't believe it," said the lab technician. "I've been back to Edinburgh to see Hearts play but I'm just really so excited tonight to see them actually playing here."

And the Hearts players seemed to enjoy themselves, too, tossing their jerseys into the stands after the game in appreciation of the fans.

Since Victoria resident and Edinburgh native Alex Milne of the Canadian Soccer Association was assessing the refereeing in the contest, he couldn't wear his love of Hearts on his back like Prosser. But Hearts will forever remain in his heart and he did sneak on a maroon tie.

"If I had been here as a fan, I'd be in the full Hearts regalia because it's the team I've followed since I was a boy and you follow one team and never, ever switch, not even in generations in a family" said Milne.

"To see the boys coming out of the tunnel here at Royal Athletic Park is like a dream."

But a nightmare to the PCSL All-Stars.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2004

http://www.bcsoccer.net/bcm/bcsoccer/bcsoccer-website.nsf/0/47D946731F4ACEB987256EBE0062275F?OpenDocument

FINAL: MILLWALL 0 CANADA 1

The thoughts of a Canadian Fan Emailed to BCSOCCER.net

"Canada, with Yallup's refreshing style of play, stretched Millwall's 10 men for most of the match. In fact, Millwall's left back had a difficulties with Canada's #7 running at him and past him for most of the second half. Occean deserves plenty of credit for his strong play up front too. "

Josh Simpson, come on down. You're the next contestant for Canada's 2004 World Cup soccer team.

With gazelle-like running ability, great dribbling and passing skills and maturity that belies his 21 years, Simpson is banging on head coach Frank Yallop's door for senior team selection in CONCACAF zone World Cup qualifying games later this year.

Vancouver native Simpson deftly set up Montreal striker Olivier Occean's game-winning goal in the second minute Wednesday night and only the stellar goalkeeping of Graham Stack prevented a more convincing scoreline as Canada defeated English League First Division club Millwall 1-0 in a International Pacific Series game at Swangard Stadium.

It was Simpson's second big impression in a maple leaf jersey in three days. On Monday, he scored the equalizing goal on a rising rocket shot in injury time in Canada's 1-1 tie with Scottish Premier League club Hearts at the Burnaby facility.

Simpson was equally impressive Wednesday as Canada concluded its two-game series schedule with four of a possible six points.

"Another great game by Josh," said Yallop, who also praised the performances of Occean and midfielder Jamie Peters, 17. "He's one of four or five players who are definitely in my thoughts for promotion to the World Cup squad.

"We played well and created a lot of good scoring chances. The players had a great belief in their ability to win and came through with a very good performance."

Canada's cause was helped by the 14th-minute ejection of Millwall defender Matthew Lawrence, who tripped midfielder Kevin de Serpa on the edge of the penalty area and then stepped on de Serpa's back after referee Michael Kennedy whistled the foul.

Ten-man Millwall was forced to defend over most of the duration and relied mostly on Stack to prevent a more embarrassing loss. Stack stopped Occean, Simpson and midfielder Mesut Mert in an early second-half tidal wave of Canadian chances against the FA Cup finalists.

Simpson, who plays club soccer for Colorado's Boulder Rapids in the Premier Development League, expects to be drafted by a Major League Soccer team following graduation from the University of Portland next June.

"I hope to be able to continue to impress coach Yallop at the MLS level," said Simpson, adding he's most comfortable as a left-sided midfielder. "I've played for Canadian youth teams in my career, but never at the senior level. It's definitely my next goal."

Millwall opened the five-game series Sunday with a 2-1 victory over the Vancouver Metro League all-stars. Canada played to a 1-1 tie with Hearts of the Scottish League Premier Division on Monday.

GOAL DUST: Canadian Soccer Association president Andy Sharpe says the CSA hasn't reached a decision on where Canada's Oct. 13 CONCACAF zone World Cup semi-final game against Costa Rica will be played. The site will be either Swangard Stadium or Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton. The decision was to have been made in mid-July, but Sharpe said it's been postponed to the end of the month. Canada opens its six-game Group B qualifying schedule Aug. 18 against Guatemala at Swangard . . . Wednesday's attendance was 3,129.source: canada.com/vancouver sun

Guest Jeffery S.

From the Millwall site. They say a full report is to follow, but they've put up 5 more articles after this and still haven't come through. Just trying to bury it I'd say.

I'm registered but can't get the video highlights to work either, dunno.

Canada 1 Millwall 0

Millwall suffered a disappointing defeat in the second game of their Candian tour, losing 1-0 to the national team at the Swangard Stadium, Burnaby on Wednesday evening.

The home side went ahead after just one minute and 50 seconds, thanks to a goal from Olivier Occean.

Millwall then found themselves down to ten men on 13 minutes, when skipper Matt Lawrence was sent off.

New Lions keeper Graham Stack was outstanding throughout the game, making several superb saves to keep Canada's lead to just one goal and was replaced by Terry Masterson in injury time, to play up front!

Kevin Braniff had Millwall's best chance towards the end of the game, but the visitors just could not find the equaliser.

Full match report to follow....

It was the Millwall captain that got ejected in an overseas friendly, for stomping on someone's back while they were prone? Who got under this guy's skin, and did this draw any comment at all from the Canadian bench?

quote:Originally posted by Krammerhead

Funny Milwall fan report. Didn't hear a peep out of them the whole game, bunch of cowards.

I don't know if you've ever actually heard of the reputation that Lions fans have across Britain...Cowards they are not, this lot has some of the hardest fans in the world, and have done their fair share of nasty business when it comes to Hooliganism. they were playing a few thousand miles away from London, and were in depleated numbers, but Millwalls fans are some of the most passionate in the world. check out the movie "The Football Factoy" its about Chelsea and Millwall fans and their little world of casual violence...its a very good watch...you can get it off of Kazaa

quote:Originally posted by nufc87

I don't know if you've ever actually heard of the reputation that Lions fans have across Britain...Cowards they are not, this lot has some of the hardest fans in the world, and have done their fair share of nasty business when it comes to Hooliganism. they were playing a few thousand miles away from London, and were in depleated numbers, but Millwalls fans are some of the most passionate in the world. check out the movie "The Football Factoy" its about Chelsea and Millwall fans and their little world of casual violence...its a very good watch...you can get it off of Kazaa

I think that's what Krammerhead was referring to; the Millwall bunch didn't live up to their reputation - in London or otherwise.

The Milwall fan report states the stadium was quiet. Not so, the southsiders sang and chanted all night. The only quiet ones were the Milwall supporters. So after the fact when the game is over the fan report then starts to get nervy. It was also about as honest as a Timbers "Army" away fan report, that is full of lies and half truth, like the "fish that got away" stories. Thats why I said they were cowards. Had they been anything like the Hearts hardcore, having had a battle with us all night chant wise and song wise, then I'd have more respect for their insulting match report after the game.

Besides hooligans are cowards. They fight in groups because they know they would be useless alone.

Archived