Canada/Millwall PBP Thread

RS

quote:Originally posted by viking

I just got back from the game moments ago two players that impressed me the most were number 7 Peters and number 3 not sure about his name. Canada played well while Millwall didnt have a shot on target. Also number 8 for Canada was average. The lone striker 9 should never be allowed to play again eventhough he scored.

Number 3 I think was Reda, and number 8 was Biello (the announcer kept say "number 8 Biello" like it was his full name or something).

Interesting coment about Occean. Either way, I look forward to the Neil Davidson piece where Yallop should hopefully give us some insight as to who has played his way on the full 'A' squad.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw highlites on Sportsnet Pacif, great ball from Simpson for the goal. Lawerence must have lost it or something, total red card. Nice 2nd half shot from Simpson again. To bad they only showed 3 highlites but good stuff from Simpson

OK Guys just back from the game...

First off unless they distinguish a single Southsider from the pack, I am pretty sure that I am the guy they had a rocket launcher aimed at. Might have been my, "Hey Millwall, we paid for this!" shout after their dismal effort.

First off- brilliant effort by Canada. Canada wins this tourney hands down simply by the kind of players they had a chance to see play on the pitch.

Occean is my man of the match for a brilliant game...his goal was a nifty run behind the defense and a soft touch around the keeper. He created many opportunities, passed well, headed a few, and has a rocket of a shot. He really is a complete kind of player. And the thing is he looks so casual, like a lion waiting to pounce. You know, how the really great offensive strikers of the world look? He's not there yet, but he has earned some real consideration for the MNT.

Pity about the red card to Millwall. Changed the intent of the game as an early one always does. I didn't really see it- think it was an elbow to the head and maybe a kick when he was down as well. We treated him to a round of resounding boos and I think he got a water bottle in the head from someone in the crowd while going in the tunnel. It looked as if it might turn into a brawl for a while there, pushing and shoving.

Player reviews:

Zagar- OK but not great. His goal kicks were weak, he was fine on crosses, and made one decent save.

Pizzolito- Average. Heads well but played some dodgy passes and didn't offer much in the way of distribution.

Reda- Ditto. This guy is NOT our number four or even our number seven defender in my eye. Nearly gave up an equalizer with a bad back pass.

Dunfield- showed a lot of spirit, but not a lot of raw talent. Small and plays like it. Tired in the second half and got into a shouting match with Occean over a misplay

Simpson- A blinding first half that had me envisioning him starting vs Guatemala. Was playing left defense and running down like Roberto Carlos. And beating guys like Carlos. And crossing like Carlos. His set up on the goal was clinical. Tired in the second half and made a couple of bad plays and faded away.

Peters- Opposite of Simpson. Invisible in the first half, got very little service. Looked too small against Millwall's goons. Made them pay dearly in the second half and literally ran circles around them. Fast with the footwork to boot. This kid is a firecracker and will have Yallop considering him to back up Bircham- he was that good. Yellow carded.

de Serpa- played like Lemire did in the first game- almost exactly in fact. Invivible and when he did touch they were awkward passes. Justifiably subbed out early for Lemire in 55'.

Valente- Ran hard and played a few good balls into the box that looked like Whitecaps crosses- potentially dangerous but just not up to snuff. Outplayed by college kid Simpson again while he was on. Got hurt in the left leg (49')and had to be taken off for Mert

Biello- Has really lost his step (did he ever have it?). Poor on corners and free kicks (he took them all), of which we had a few dangerous ones- wasted low or too long. One of the worst on the pitch for us.

Serioux- I am skeptical of him at left back. Two days after playing Bent out of a place on the replacement roster, he looked shakey on defense, especially in the first half. Settled down later on in the second but never dominated.

Occean- see above. Just fantastic!

SUBS:

Lemire- Another lousy showing. Everything he touched turned to mud and he didn't seem to fit at all.

Mert- Not bad, again. Played a few nice attacking passes. Much better than Biello at this role.

Franks was on the bench after all.

In my mind the following guys have played themselves into consideration for a roster spot, at least in support:

Occean - for whom I don't know. I like him better than Pesch already. He is way younger, faster and more well rounded, Could be Radz's Koller and might be dynamite with DD- two magicians up front.

Gervais- His absence tonight showed, as the three regular defensive guys (apart from Simpson) lacked security and any creativity in distribution. He was the missing link.

Menezes- certainly looks like a sixth or seventh D from here. Better than Reda or Pizz for sure.

Simpson- just a pleasure to watch. Pity he will play college ball over whatever development level he is at. He could start for the Caps (or better yet be developed in Europe) in a heartbeat.

Peters- showed so much promise and at 17 is without a doubt our brightest rising star.

Serioux- at mid could be a consideration. At defense not a hope.

Attendance for both games combined doesn't sell out Swangard. BCSA gets a red card for poor promotion and the fans lose in the long run becuase the idea was right, and the size of the visiting clubs was right too. Pity.

The only winner is Canada.

Onward, RED!!

Yes, cheers Nolando. Canada totally dominated Milwall, made them look utter crap.

Absolute great presence by the Southsiders behind the net (sorry Nolando none of them cop to being voyageurs). That is the first time I've ever heard southside chants echo off the grandstand. Even had a Milwall supporter come up and pat me on the back. Hopefully we can regroup and be as strong for the remaining Whitecaps games. August 18th is going to be a fine night at Swangard.

Shame about crowd size, it doesn't help that Lenarduzzi holds a beef against the BC Soccer association and as such there was no promtion at Whitecaps games and no mention of the series on the Whitecasp website.

I'm not quite sure what the beef is, but a few of the southsiders were saying he holds a beef with the BC Soccer association. It must be true because the Whitecaps site is always full of international news, especially when it concerns Whitecaps players, but a quick check of the site shows not one mention of this tournament.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

Viking- are you still drunk? Occean was fine, a completely different kind of Canadian striker and the kind we have needed to develop for a long time. Think Bunbury. For sure, Yallop is.

Simpson didn't stand out overall?

I'm sorry bro but I still stand with my decision. I pray that he gets better than today. But it's nice to read a different oppinion than mine ;)

i have lurked this board for a long time and never posted mostly because i dont think i could add anything beyond what anyone has/had written but i do want to say a couple of things about the game tonight -canada dominated plain and simple it was a shame millwall went down to 10 men because it gives them an excuse that they probably wouldnt have had i watched the first half from the grandstand and i have to say simpson played a great ball to ocean for the goal, both those players were great tonight especially simpson. at the start of the second half me and a buddy made our way down to the southside and had an absolute blast didnt catch much of the remainder of the game because we were to busy joining in with chants and heckling the goalie (felt bad for the little ball girls behind the net who grew up far to fast tonight :>)

im curious to know who the guy in the blue monster jersey leading the chants was? im gonna venture a guess and say it was krammerhead but who ever it was he deserves a huge applause an absolute ring leader.

cheers

brandon

"Number 3 I think was Reda, and number 8 was Biello (the announcer kept say "number 8 Biello" like it was his full name or something)."

The "Number 3" Viking mentioned was actually Simpson at left back. Reda was number 4.

If that's Simpson then that boy got a very nice future. To come out of the defence like that and to pounce shots at the net like that was really nice to see. I hope he makes it into the A team if he's not in it already :D

You bet, man. All in good fun. Thanks for posting your opinion, especially when so few of the people on the board would have seen the match for themselves.

Good I thought you were gonna bash me hahaha[8D]

quote:im curious to know who the guy in the blue monster jersey leading the chants was? im gonna venture a guess and say it was krammerhead but who ever it was he deserves a huge applause an absolute ring leader.

That would be the one and only JohnnieMonster, the mouth of the south, hence the monster jersey. He's one of the southsiders, and yes a ring leader. He's got a ticket in the front row for the August 18th match.

Just saw the replay of incident that the Milwall player was red carded for. He stomped as hard as he could on the back of the Canadian player who was down.

Shame that the cup of beer or whatever was thrown at him as he was exiting the field just missed.

Guest Jeffery S.

Guys, what an extraordinary thread. Been off the board for a day and coming in to this was great, apart from excellent banter.

Really proud of the team. Millwall is a strong 2nd tier England side and for us to do them in like this with A-Leaguers and a college kid plus a few more is a great credit to us. Have to take the red card as part of the win, as it sounds like he couldn't stand being shown up. A dumb red card is like a dumb back pass, it is a footballing error. And you need to be pressured to make one. Bastard.

This result is even more incredible considering they scouted us on Monday, and it sounds like Simpson did the same thing here as then. Meaning that even knowing what he could do and maybe even "preparing" for it, he was still able to do it. That is a tremendous complement to his game. Funny, he was solid and intelligent in UAE, but it was Sita who was bolder taking on his markers. I really wonder what kind of impact he is having in Boulder, if he is even playing this same position. Any word on this from his bro (codegoat)?

Don't know too much about his play for the Boulder Rapids Reserves but he is the captain of the team, 3rd in scoring, and the team is in first place in its division.

Hopefully codegoat will provide more info.

His Portland Pilots bio once again states he is looking forward to the MLS draft this winter!

hey,

He played left back in the Millwall game, which is not his usual position, and I don't think he has ever played there (at any competitive level).

He plays center attacking mid and sometimes striker @ Boulder and they have been a very strong team this year.

Archived