Yallop Comments at Edmonton Press Conference

beachesl

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Hey , bro don't be asking questions we the fans want answers to. Then like all the reporters will be doin' it.

Good job mon.

Chi'laxin with the heavies.......puttin' on the feed bag with the power people. Our very own insider .......way kewl dude.

Hey Argh, after that response I think you might want to consider changing your handle to "Snoop Dog." I mean, I read your note (above) and said, "hold on it a minizzle, I knew Snoop was a big fan of Canadian weed, but I'd no idea he was a Canadian soccer fan too."

And to Beaches, great stuff!! Thanks for asking the good questions, and thank you for sharing your report with us.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Thanks guys.

Yes, I told them I was a contributor to the Voyageurs, and that gave me a lot of credibility, especially with Yallop.

Glad to see it worked out. I figured the super-powers of the Voyageurs would get you through the door.

Similar to the Jedi Mind-Trick :).

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Beachesl, who were representing ??? What Media outlet?

If it's us, I'd like a formal report that I can post on the homepage.

Does he really need to submitt a FORMAL report, like some kid in grade school ?

He's already been good enough to spend his time scouting the conference and gave us a great brief.

quote:Does he really need to submitt a FORMAL report, like some kid in grade school ?

He's already been good enough to spend his time scouting the conference and gave us a great brief.

Of course he doesn't.

But if he did, we could put his interview in the Features section on the home page so that more people can view it for a much longer period of time. I think it would be a waste for this report only to be posted here and be forgotten with time. At least on the home page people can view it longer and it can get better exposure.

I, and I'm sure most other Voyageurs appreciate the work and effort of beachesl.

plus it seems to me that if some of our members are going to be accepted as "media" and get access to interview people like Yallop, then we are more credible if we actually post the resultant report in a longlasting electronic format.

BTW I think this is a great idea. Thanks for the effort beaches.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Dave

plus it seems to me that if some of our members are going to be accepted as "media" and get access to interview people like Yallop, then we are more credible if we actually post the resultant report in a longlasting electronic format.

BTW I think this is a great idea. Thanks for the effort beaches.

This was basically the point I was trying to make earlier. If Voyageurs is known as a news and info outlet, however informal or partisan, and not just a fan club, then it is much more legitimate for us to designate a person to cover a press conference or even get press access to normally restricted events. Or even get press privileges, such as when the team is outside of Canada, fans are following them, and we want to request access to a player for an interview (I am imagining how I would possibly get to interview Stalteri if Werder Bremen ends up in the same Champions group as Barça; I'd have to put in a formal request if I didn't want to hang around their hotel for hours and beg, and having a press backing of this site would be helpful).

In any case, you could imagine the alternative might be that the day will come when our positions on certain questions, or the difficult questions that could be asked (beachesl doing the Aguiar question was a very sensitive question, the type that normally irritates; pushing the CSA on their non-committal attitude to grass fields could be another) could be the excuse for us to be locked out of a media event.

All of which can be prevented if we work with a certain legitimacy in terms of respecting the rules of the game. Having people at press conferences actually producing articles and news guarantees this.

Archived