Voyageurs Section at Commonwealth - Sept. 4, 2004

Jarrek

Some are still kicking around but most, I have no idea where they are. 4 years with no games and no pro soccer, is long time to keep track of people. So I suspect in September, it will be mostly a brand new group of people with a few oldies...

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liz Ferguson never phoned me back today like she said she would, In fact when I went by the office they were closed early in the afternoon for some reason.[}:)]

Left a message on her voice mail and willl try agin early Tuesday. We should just decide on a section and row Tuesday night if nothing settled, and damn the lubbers that strays into the lair of the Pirates[B)] of the Commonwealth mateys, aaaaarrrrgggghh!

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

I'm goin to Edmonton! Ah I can't wait. I'm gonna book my flight shortly. Where's is everybody from out east staying?

Just to focus on any Toronto attendees for a moment...

Whose going and, yeah, where are people gonna stay? I haven't booked the time off yet, or tickets. I'll probably get around to it though.

There is tonnes of options for staying, but I recommend somewhere DT so you can get on the train and quickly get to the stadium (it's a 5-10 minute train ride from DT to stadium).

If price is a concern and you are ok with average hotels, Edmonton House hotel is not bad (http://www.maclabhotels.com/leisure_edmontonhouse.htm).

This is used to be were the MNT stayed. It's on the older side of things but still not a bad place to stick around and relatively cheap and it's a full-blown suite usually. But you gotta book it early cuz it fills up fast.

Off course, there is the usual fairmount, sutton and radisson, Westin and etc.., but this is the one that might work out good too.

Airport-DT is about 25-35 minutes driving usually as well.

If you need a really cheap place to stay, i recommend the hostle in Old Strathcona ($25 and up). On the south side of the river, short walk to the lrt station at U of A through one of the nicest parts of Edmonton and a mere socks toss from Whyte Ave.

http://www.hihostels.ca/hostels/Alberta/NorthernAlbertaRegion/EdmontonInternationalHostel/Hostels/index.html

quote:Originally posted by Reza

There is tonnes of options for staying, but I recommend somewhere DT so you can get on the train and quickly get to the stadium (it's a 5-10 minute train ride from DT to stadium).

If price is a concern and you are ok with average hotels, Edmonton House hotel is not bad (http://www.maclabhotels.com/leisure_edmontonhouse.htm).

This is used to be were the MNT stayed. It's on the older side of things but still not a bad place to stick around and relatively cheap and it's a full-blown suite usually. But you gotta book it early cuz it fills up fast.

Off course, there is the usual fairmount, sutton and radisson, Westin and etc.., but this is the one that might work out good too.

Airport-DT is about 25-35 minutes driving usually as well.

I've stayed at the Edmonton House before. Nice enough place, but I still hate spending $90 (min) per night on a place to stay. That adds up fast.

I'm just complaining really...I have nothing of value to add here. Sorry.

[:I]

Yeah, I guess it all depends. if you can share one of these (I think they have two bed ones as well) with someone it might be quite cheap.

I guess if you really want dirt cheap, then the hostel posted above is the other option. I guess it all depends on what you can handle.

Well I vote we all stay at Casa del Reza. :D

But on a serious note the Party Bus from Vancouver/Victoria now has 4 interested persons. I am still looking at adding 2 more people! We'll be renting a mini-van in the Vancouver area and leaving Vancouver on Friday September 3nd early AM, returning leaving Edmonton in the AM of Sunday September 5th, arriving back in the Vancouver area sometime in the evening. The Approximate cost based on current gas prices is $100.00 round trip for transportation!! $300 cheaper each than taking a flight.

I will be securing the rental of the mini-van this evening. Cheapest I have found so far is $305.00 including all taxes with unlimited km's. I am still working on the hotel situation. I think it would be all in our best interest to negotiate a group rate with 1 hotel in Edmonton. I would be willing to negotiate with some hotels if people can give me some names of some good location hotels in Edmonton. One I am currently speaking with is the West Harvest Inn which I understand is in the West Edmonton Mall area. If I can set up a block of rooms or special rate for our group for everyone traveling from East or West we should be able to get a decent discounted rate for everyone.

Anyways if anyone is interested in joining us in the minivan please e-mail me at wallace_geoff@hotmail.com

Awesome stuff Geoff. I have to admit that after doing a bunch of the leg work for the Kingston matches it's nice to sit back and relax with the games out west. :)

Keep us posted about the hotel rates. I know I'm probably not the only one looking for a good deal on Edmonton rooms.

The only trouble with West Ed will be transportation for people without cars and vans (i.e. people from TO, etc..). You'd want it to be either in University or DT area for easy train access. Casa Del Reza is all booked :-)

I know a couple of people in the hotel industry (one with Maclab and another with Westin) and I'll see if they got any group rates that they could offer. Occassionally they do.

Reza,

What are your thoughts on this location:

:

Corner 156 St And 101 Ave

Its the only one of this chain that is is Edm. Is this too far and inconvienint in your opinion? What about commuting costs between airport and hotel and hotel to Commonwealth?

II may get a good deal on a rental car. In your opinion, is this proprty too out of the way, that I should get a rental car? Or could I rely on public transit? Is there anything interesting to do or see in that area?

I would say for a newbie to town it's probably slightly out of the way. It's more to the west of the city.

Bear in mind, that for a TO guy, these commute distances are minor, but still it's less convenient than a DT/Uni location. I would say you would need a car, because otherwise you have to bus it and in weekends the bus service in that area might not be ideal. You also have to figure out the roads and eventhough E-town with its numbered streets is one of the easiest places in NA to find your way, it's still a hassle.

With DT/Uni you have the train that goes directly to the stadium. You also have Whyte Ave in the evenings and a host of restaurants and bars in DT during day to keep you busy and you are by the river valley core, so you can enjoy the nautre side of the city too..There is also a shuttle that takes you from airport to the Uni area and DT, which is convenient and relatively cheap.

You don't have to rush just yet...I'll get back to you guys in a day or two.

I guess some people think it's a little seedy, and there's a bit of traffic noise, but the Strathcona Hotel is where I usually stay if i'm in Edmonton. (soccer, fringe fest. & stuff)

2 of us got a huge (huge) room with 2 double beds for really, really cheap (can't remember exactly, but is was less than $40 each). We could have fit 10 people in that room comfortably.

Once again in Old Strath. near the U of A.

Ok sweet deal. The Mini-Van is booked. Managed to get $190.00 at Thrifty's including taxes and everything (Unlimited km's). Revised estimated Transportation Cost (Including Fuel) based on 6 people is now $80.00 each round trip. I think i'm going to post my own topic about this so it gets more exposure. Need 2 more people.

But I'll work on the hotel situation this week. Reza are there any budget chain hotels near Downtown or the University area? (I.E. Travelodge, Best Western, etc.)

How much are you guys willing to spend on a hotel room based on Double Occupancy? I'm aiming at $60-$70 per night and getting the best rooms we can. Days Inn Downtown on expedia is $71.00, and the Delta is also only $80.00 which is a really nice hotel.

There is a Best Western near NAIT which is not too far away from DT and Stadium. I am not sure about Travelodge but I don't think I have seen one around DT, Uni areas. Downtown's Delta is a very good hotel actually. I am surprised it's that low. It's right in the downtown mall and it's where the prime ministers tend to go to when they drop by.

Some hotels give discounts for soccer related events because of their ASA affiliations. I'll keep you posted on that.

As a matter of interest, I'm collecting a list of potential organizational hazards concerning CSA organized matches at Commonwealth based on past matches.[?]

For instance, apparently at the last WCQ qualifier there, July 16, 2000, against T & T, there were thousands of fans stranded outside at the time of kickoff because there was only one walkup ticket window open (I was not there, so I would like more details).

Another was the apparent fact that the CSA did not print up enough general admission tickets (10,000 shy) so the the U-19 final in 2002 was not sold out when it could have been.

I was at the last WNT match there at the end of last August, and the security check at the gates did not start checking and admitting people with tickets, so many were not admitted by kickoff even though they had been waiting in line for half an hour.

Any other details or incidents anyone can verify?

I am trying to identify such potential difficulties to see if they can be reduced for the Sept. 4 match.

I think the U19 ticket thing is a myth.

The way I understand it the CSA/ASA sold a whole bunch of tourney passes cheap to youth teams to guarantee a gate for some of the dates that may not have done well. Let's 8,000 for argument's sake. So if you're the Red Deer Under-10 girls Peekachoos, you may have bought 20 passes cheap and took your girls up to Edmonton to catch an opening round double-header. However, you never planned on going to the final because you had a tournement that weekend, the parents didn't want to make the trip twice, whatever. However, the CSA can't very well sell more than the 55,000 Commonwealth seats. Basically they only had 47k to sell and they sold them all (therefore a sell out), but there were still a few thousand no-shows from the pre-sale of tournament passes many of which I suspect were to teams from outside of Edmonton.

That's the way I understood it.

All of the T&T 2000 stuff I heard was after the fact, I didn't see lines and I didn't hear anyone complaining until after the match, but the stands were much, much fuller at half than it was at the start. Since we were in GA we were through the gates at least an hour early. They just waved us through (we marched in with the banners in hand, drumming and singing) and there was no problems, no security checks, my bag didn't get checked, nothing.

I've never had trouble in Edmonton with anything except their choice of half-time entertainment.

cheers

matthew

Dave's quote.

'As a matter of interest, I'm collecting a list of potential organizational hazards concerning CSA organized matches at Commonwealth based on past matches.'

Am I your only source for this? Both statements were made from personal experience.

There were piles and piles of people in line for the T&T game. I had an extra ticket so I walked along the long line looking for somebody who wanted it. Then we hit the beer line and went straight for our seats and we still missed the kickoff. I heard the 10,000 number from another fan on Whyte Ave later that night. On FIFA's website and in World Soccer magazine the attendance was listed as 10,000, but the World Soccer changed the number for their Yearbook to over 25,000.

At the U-19 Final I personally saw Sold Out signs in the ticket windows, but there were entire empty sections at the ends of the upper deck. I don't remember the exact source of the 'not enough tickets' printed rumour. And wasn't the final posted attendance 9 or 10 thousand below capacity?

The ticket issue for the U19's goes back to laws which state you can't admit more than the capacity of the facility. With the passes counted in already, you can't print tickets for space that isn't avaliable.

Most people thought that the game would be sold out. We didn't realize that until kickoff that there was so many empty seats.

Happy Stamp everybody!

Full marks to everyone involved in the U-19 tourney in Edmonton, there is no denying the great success of that tournament, and the great impact it had on our nations soccer profile. However I talked to more thatn a few unhappy people before that game, and to see all those empty seats was disappointing.

Since I already have a bad rep, here'a beef I had in Kingston.

I bought my tickets in advance. I ended up with the same reserved seat for both games. I was packed in pretty tight for Game 1, but for the second game there was almost no one in my whole section. I felf very jilted so to cheer myself up, I decided to head across and join the Voyageurs. Luckily I asked, because I was told that it was not allowed and had I exited the stadium I would have not been allowed back in. Grow up!!! If I wanna pay $15 and be happy to do so then travel 3,000 miles (or whantever the hell it is) and decide I would rather sit in the cheap seats of an almost empty stadium, what's the big deal? There happened to be another guy there who was also pretty pissed off, and he mentioned something about writing to the CSA e was so mad.

If everyone wants to settle for second best, which is a Canadian trait it seems (TV, politics, ect), then why the hell should we try to make anything better?

'I luv you guys... screw you guys.'

Archived