Voyageurs Section at Commonwealth - Sept. 4, 2004

Jarrek

Okay, I'm going in to talk to Liz Ferguson tomorrow morning to see if anything can be arranged for us.

Right now I'm thinking that it would be nice if they could carve out about 150 places in the front of S or U sections ($29 each) for us, which any Voyageur could get by phoning up and identifying self as a "Voyageur", if that is possible to arrange thro the Ticketmaster system.

I'll report back here tomorrow. In the interim, keep sending in comments and suggestions.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we were waiting to hear back from the CSA/ASA already. I'm all for U or S or even one of the $19 sections like Q or W. Even if they don't agree to our demand, we can just start buying tickets for a section. While I understand the desire to be at the front, being higher might be better because it would allow us to stand without blocking anyone's view. If people have paid for a specific seat it's harder to all stand and block people's views.

As another idea to send out there. Do we want to advertise (and here I mean flyers or on-line, not a spread in the Journal or Sun) where we're going to be and try to encourage people to join us?

I would also suggest that if we're going to pick a section we should try to stick to it for the rest of the qualifying. Hopefully people looking for somewhere with atmosphere will learn to gravitate towards us.

cheers,

matthew

I'm glad the game is in Edmonton--not so sure Calgarians will let us commie-pinko Vancouverites into the city. Hey, will Anne McLelland be in attendance? (Do I really care? Yes, only if it means more money for amature sports in Canada.)

Do we have a rough idea of how many Voyageurs (and their friends) will want to sit in the sort of section that Beaches is trying to secure? Any way we could get a quick estimate?

I, too, am happy with anywhere we can get - I'll wait until July 2 before ordering my GA ticket from the ASA.

I've got my flight and hotel booked - WestJet air miles are the way to go! :)

Edit - I'm coming out by myself, so I'll start the unofficial count at 1

Okay, just got finished talking to Liz Ferguson, Executive Director of ASA. She has just gotten back from several days away from the ofice, so has asked to get back to me either Friday or Monday so she can look into the request.

She said that the ASA is only dealing directly with the General Admission sales, and that CSA is primarily responsible for the relationship with Ticketmaster for the Reserve tickets. She has said that any arrangements would have to be finalized with John Billingsly of the CSA office in Ottawa, but that she would look into the situation with him and get back to me by Monday.

I explained our general situation and wishes to her, including:

1. That we wished to sit together in a section in the East Stand, such as Section S or U at the front. That if possible, we would like arrangements made with Ticketmaster to have a designated area set aside where we could phone in and order tickets in that area (she said she would specifically check to see if that is possible).

2. That time was somewhat of the essence because we already had Voyageurs around the country who have booked or are booking flights and other distance travel arrangemnts, and want to insure we have "seats" together.

3. That apart from our booking in the same section individually, we would be in contact with the local media soon to advise the public of our preferred section so that they could either join or stay away from a loud group of fans who will be standing and yelling through the whole game (but I made efforts to tell her we were not hooligans, as our prior attendances have demonstrated).

4. That we have had public comments of support from both Yallop and the team members about our loud support, and that it is not just a situation of catering to a few fans.

I will report back when I hear back from her.

Hopefully this and the efforts made elsewhere and through others will result in some acceptable action and arrangements.;)

Guys, if we advertise where we are sitting then, local people who are not part of this forum may gobble up the tickets in that section. For all we know they may not be the tifos as the V's. What happens to the people on this forum who deceide later on in the summer that they can make it out for the game? Our section may be sold out and we will end up all scattered throughout the stadium. You never know with scalpers out there.

IMO, we need to make sure first and foremost that the section is for our group. Once we know how many tickets we need and we have all purchased our own, then we can advertize if we want.

Hi guys, I have not yet recieved an e-mail back from the CSA, but it sounds as if some of you have made some contacts and at least some things are in the hopper. My suggestion to the CSA was for 120 tickets, BTW, with the notion that if some were left over by a certain date, the could then revert to general sales. Anyway, still on the road, back in Saskatoon in a few days.

I think they're be three of us coming up. I haven't decided if I'm going to take the whole week off or Cannonball Run the nine hours north on Friday and back down on Sunday to make work for Monday.

Those sections at Commonwealth are big. Does anyone know what one sits? Any idea how many rows even. I was thinking it would be about 500-750 seats per section.

In my experiences at Commonwealth, the average fans are more apt to be into the V experience than other places and if we specifiy that we'll be standing and singing for 90 minutes I would hope people would have the common sense to not go there if they didn't want to.

I was just thinking with GA we used to clear some people out (I remember a soccer mom and four girls who were in front of the drum for the T&T game and kept looking at us (me) when we (I) swore, they quickly left.

Anyway whatever everyone else thinks is fine with me.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

My suggestion to the CSA was for 120 tickets, BTW, with the notion that if some were left over by a certain date, the could then revert to general sales.

Excellent. That is exactly what I was hoping for. Have a section we can call our own. Grab the tickets by a certain date.

I have not had the opportunity to deal in these type of matters, but I none the less agree that it would appear to be best to deal with the CSA on these matters rather than provincial soccer associations. The CSA is more likely to know who we are. Plus they are much more closely involved with team and its performce. hence more likely to welcome our presence and be more accomodating to us. I may be wrong or harsh here regarding the provincial associations, but why would they care about our group or what kind of atmosphere exists in the stadium. I have similar concerns about using Ticketmaster. afterall, anyone could call them and claim they are voyageurs. A sales agent trying to sell tickets may no be obliged to sell the Voyageur section to Voyageurs only.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

You're working Labour Day Monday?

Yup. It's a quirk of the industry I work in that I get the day before a holiday off and the actually holiday I have to work. Guess who works this Thursday!?

We rotate weekends, so it's possible I'll be skedul'd to work Fri-Mon, but I hope we can swing it so I get that weekend off. If not I'll just burn a week's vacation.

Anyway I'll be there one way or another.

cheers,

matthew

The average section at Commonwealth would have about 35-45 rows with 15 seats to a row. Look at 525-675 seats to a section for most of the stadium.

The drive from the Intl. Airport isn't that bad if you hotel/hostel is on the south side. The one's across the river are generally more expensive.

Anne McLelland be in attendance? [xx(]

Just after reading Vancouver Fan's new thread today concerning his success in getting a section at the Swangard stands for the Voyageurs, I received a call from Liz Ferguson, Executive Director of the ASA, who told me she has the go-ahead from the CSA to contact her liason at Ticketmaster to try to make arrangements for us to have 150 seats set aside in the front of Sections S or U ($29 each). She said that she was unsuccessful trying to contact the guy at Ticketmaster today, but would by mid-Monday and she would get back to me. I have to say that I am impressed with her commitment to this so far.

For the record, I am NOT interested in buying all the tickets myself and reselling them, like Vancouver Fan is doing for Swangard. If the concept of Ticketmaster holding our section for individual buyers to obtain by id'ng themselves as Voyageurs on the phone does not pan out, maybe somebody else might consider taken on this burden.

Liz also wanted to know if any of the Voyaguers would be interested in the "VIP PACKAGE" she is planning for Sept. 4. So far she envisions that for between $150 to $200 (which would include the price of the ticket), a fan could go to the beer tents in the south track area both before and after the match, get beer and nibblies, hobnob with the heavies (such as Andy Sharpe and Anne "Apple-Cheeks Annie" McLelland:D), and mix with the players and coaching staff after the match. I told her that some of the richer Voyageurs such as mimglow and sigma;) might be interested, but that as a group it is probably not realistic, as most of us are of the great unwashed. This is done at the Eskimo games (and some of the south endzone have partial blockage of the sightlines because of this). I told her that I would pass it on for the consideration of all, and she said she would get back to me with more details.

Liz also asked me: why Sections S and U, and not T ($39)? I told her that it was a compromise in terms of ticket prices arrived at by the Voyageurs. She's a salesman, that's for sure.

I also tried to get info of any developments of some of the matters that I raised in my article:

i) The kickoff time for Sept 4 being moved to 7:00 pm? Still being worked on said Liz, but immediate news release if this is done.

ii) The location for October 13 match? Still being worked on by the CSA (not by her), no decision yet.

I hope to be able to paint a clearer picture on Monday for you.

If the concept of having ticketmaster hold tickets for us does not pan out, could you given us the row number and or seat numbers within sections S or U that we should call about. That way, I could call ticketmaster on Monday and say: I want a ticket in section S ( for example) and a seat numbered X or Y or Z. or in row 1,2,3 etc.

BTW, any word on how briskly the seats are selling?

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Great...we'll see how things unfold..keep us posted. See if you can get a group discount as well. Usually they give a 10% cut or something like that for group bookings anyways.

take care

Reza are you still in touch with any of the old Commonwealth faithful. I can't remember who half of them are, but it seems like there was always a good group (those guys who never wore shirts and had body paint, John-Mark, Jason, etc, etc) but it's been four years it seems like forever ago.

Christ now that I think about it I went to the wedding of my friend the day before the T&T game and she has two kids now one of whom is walking and talking.

cheers,

matthew

Archived