Voyageurs Section at Commonwealth - Sept. 4, 2004

Jarrek

If your from Southern Ontario and want to fly to Edmonton the easiest way by far is the Hamilton Interational Airport. It small, there's no lines, you cant get lost, and thers no trafic to get to it. I would take the Hamilton airport over the Toronto Airport in a second just because of all the trafic and such in TO. There are three flights to Edmonton everyday leeding up to Sept 4.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by snake

its cheaper to fly.

i don't know about that. if somebody has a van with 5 or 6 people in it then it can be done on the cheap. it means a lot of driving with maybe only one night to stop, but people driving in shifts can make it work. i estimate that gas would only be about 80 or so a person one way. add in another 80 per person for food/accomodation and you're at 160.

flights from TO to Edmonton start at 300. round trip is 600.

We could also meet up somewhere downtown like Rice Howard way (101 st & 101 Ave) and get on the LRT and go to stadium. There is plenty of restaurants there plus Sherlock Holmes and Sorrentino and etc...

Since downtown is easier to find than any other location and you're right by the LRT, it might be the best spot to meet at. Plus, the team hotels are there too... just a thought.

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

If your from Southern Ontario and want to fly to Edmonton the easiest way by far is the Hamilton Interational Airport. It small, there's no lines, you cant get lost, and thers no trafic to get to it. I would take the Hamilton airport over the Toronto Airport in a second just because of all the trafic and such in TO. There are three flights to Edmonton everyday leeding up to Sept 4.

Keep in mind that the trek from Edmonton International to the city of Edmonton will seem like the drive from Hamilton to Toronto.

Just a quick update, I haven't heard back from the ASA yet so no info yet on how to get GA tickets for out-of-towners. If I don't hear from them by tomorrow I'll call again and fire off an email as well.

I vote for Reza's idea of meeting downtown and taking the LRT (light rail transit) to the stadium. As long as at least ten or so of us meet up and get to the stadium when the gates open to stake out a spot in the GA section for the Voyageurs, it should be obvious to any late arrivers where the action is. Can anybody from Toronto borrow the "Voyageurs" and "Canadian-Soccer.Com" banners from whoever owns them to bring out with them? (that is, unless the owners of those banners are coming!)

Re: getting into town from the airport - I've been to Edmonton before and I recall there being plenty of airport-to-hotel shuttle buses at the airport. They're much cheaper than taxis given the distance from the Edmonton airport to the downtown. Just make sure you get on a shuttle going to a downtown hotel and not to one of the hotels near the West Edmonton Mall!

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

I've been looking into flights through Air tCanada Tango, and they are very cheap. A round trip from Toronto is a little over $300 (if you're willing to take the less popular flight times), which comes up to just over $400 with taxes, etc.

Here is one of the problems with this country.

we can confirm that airfare between Tor and Edm is in the high 400$ range ( 460-500 range). that is if it doesn't sell out.

Tor to San Jose CRC is around 730$

But if I drive an hour and half down to Buffalo ( as more and more people are doing), I can get to San Jose Costa Rica by air for 371.50$ USD. at an exchange rate of roughly 0.74 or 1.35, the total airfare to San Jose is only 501$ Canadian. And that is only one airline.. I haven't tried others, I am pretty sure that I could get cheaper by hunting around. Factor in the cost of parking at the airport and its still more or less the same as the entire airfare of going to Edmonton or flying within the country. The money it'll cost me to park at Buf airport is consideably less than what a typical 30 min cab will cost in any typical city in canada.

Also, I was checking accomodation costs last week and saw lttle difference between San Jose and Edmonton. In fact, It might be cheaper in Costa Rica

All International flights out of Pearson have a $200 'tax' that goes to help pay for the perpetual renovations. I have a friend who went to Vegas last year from Buffalo because it was considerably cheaper than flying from Toronto. I think the domestic flights don't have such a large surchage.

I noted that it's cheaper to fly to London from Toronto that it is to fly to Regina.

I only suggested the End Zone pub because it's close to the stadium and they put up with us before the T&T game. Yeah the beer was crap, the service was worse and I think Fury was one of the only people brave enough (or patient enough) to eat there, but I liked the proximity.

I'll go with the flow though. There isn't much in the area (though I love that little Carribean place a few blocks away, is it still open?, not suitable for us, but a nice play to eat).

My only concern with downtown is that we'll want to be there in time to get set up and stake our claim to a spot and I'd hate to rely on public transportation, but I don't know Edmonton that well so if it's easier downtown then let's do it.

I just saw the update on tickets. That's shiite. There's no way we should to the end zone. I think we'd be much better off in either W or Q. You're a mile away from the action in the corners. Can we talk to the CSA about getting a section? Because I don't really want to in the end zone or the corner at Commonwealth. I don't want to be on my own, but I don't see any point in cheaping out.

What does everyone else think?

cheers,

matthew

Lets make very sure that the area we get is an area that is not in corner, very far or obstructed. Being there as a group is important but I don't think that the cost of the tickets should be the most critical either. If cheap seats means very bad seats, then I think that we should look for alternatives. If you traveling long distances to get there and are willing to shell out a couple of hundred for airfare, whats the concern about saving an extra 20$ on the tickets for the event that you are there to see in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, In principle we are supposed to be about being in GA, that is where groups such as ours belong. That way we don't annoy the sensitive types. But on the other hand we have to be able to see the game.

For me the reason to be in GA is not to avoid annoying people, nor is it a cost issue, it's a simple matter of logistics. GA is the only way a whole bunch of us from different parts of the country can buy tickets and then stand together as a group. If we buy more expensive tickets, we will be in reserved seating sections and we will be spread throughout the stadium. Thus, our only real options are a) stand together in the end zone section; or B) not have a Voyageurs section. Myself, I thought the end zone seats we occupied in Gillette Stadium were fine.

If we can get a Voyageurs section going somewhere better than the end zone, that would be great. But how?

quote:If we can get a Voyageurs section going somewhere better than the end zone, that would be great. But how?

I am confused ... Why do we HAVE to sit in the end zones?

We should submit some kind of formal request to the CSA requesting a small "Supporters" area set aside for us.

$39.00 Sections F,G,H in the West Stand (near the player benches) and

Section T in East Stand

$29.00 Sections E,I in West Stand and Sections R,S,U,V in East Stand

$19.00 Sections C,D,J,K in West Stand and Sections P,Q,W,X in East Stand

commonwealth-seating.jpg

I say we start an email campaign if necessary to get a reserved seating area possibly somewhere in the $19.00 ticket areas. The endzones are FAR away from the action on the pitch at Commonwealth. Why don't we start a "sign up thread" seperate from this one.. that way we'd have an idea of how many people are planning to attend as a Voyageur!

commonwealth.jpg

The endzone we're talking about is visible in this pic.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

We should submit some kind of formal request to the CSA requesting a small "Supporters" area set aside for us.

Gordon has by email to the CSA requested, on our behalf, a Voyageurs Supporters section at all home games generally, and has received a reply saying that the request has been passed on to the powers that be.

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3484

Whether that will result in anything is up in the air. It may be useful for someone to draft a letter to the CSA specifically concerning this match and asking for acton, and cc to the ASA.

I think that, failing this, trying to organize seating in a reserve

section would be difficult, so if we want to sit together we may have to get GA in the endzone.

If so delegated, I would be prepared to go in and see Liz Ferguson, Executive Director of the ASA (who are handling tickets), to see if somethiing can be arranged, anything from giving us a Central main stand area at GA prices to having a designated reserved block of seats set aside through Ticketmaster to callers saying they are "Voyageurs".

Let me know, time is of the essence, as some Voyageurs have already started to buy tickets of various stripes.

PS: the endzone we are taliking about are the grey seats in the picture, the grey seats towards the right, section A, aren't

toooo bad.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

I have to agree with Jarrek here. Although, I am reassured from looking at that picture that the actual worst case scenario isn't all that bad. But yes, we do alot to bring ambiance and colour to the game therefore a nice reserved section of 100 would be nice. If we don't get 100 then they can go ahead and sell the remaining ones something like two weeks prior to the game.

quote:Originally posted by Reza

Any more updates on tickets for this match?

Basically we are waiting for "somebody" to make a decision as to whether we go for the General Admission seats in the "endzones",

OR try to get the ASA to hold certain seats in one of the tri-priced reserved zones for Voyageurs (some of the posters have expressed concerns about being stuck in the "endzones"),

OR approach the ASA about a better option,

OR let the chips fall where they may.

I think the "general" letter sent to the CSA by Gordon will come to naught, and in the meantime some Voyageurs have already bought tickets of various stripes. I've got my General Admission ticket already, and I'm happy with that, but will buy one anywhere else if there is agreement on a Section amongst us.

There has been no response here to my offer on Friday to approach Liz Ferguson or somebody else at the ASA about trying to arrange any option for us. In the absence of some direction here, I'm reluctant to go and speak "on behalf of the Voyageurs".

Does Gordon or anybody else have any update about overtures made to the CSA[?]?

Ok, let's set some deadlines. If you do not hear anything from CSA by the end of this week (July 2nd), then we should proceed with the other approach you proposed.

If you do not get anywhere with that one within a reasonable timeframe (i.e. one week), then we should make the final call on a section or General section. I am also ok either way.

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

Basically we are waiting for "somebody" to make a decision as to whether we go for the General Admission seats in the "endzones",

OR try to get the ASA to hold certain seats in one of the tri-priced reserved zones for Voyageurs (some of the posters have expressed concerns about being stuck in the "endzones"),

OR approach the ASA about a better option,

OR let the chips fall where they may.

I think the "general" letter sent to the CSA by Gordon will come to naught, and in the meantime some Voyageurs have already bought tickets of various stripes. I've got my General Admission ticket already, and I'm happy with that, but will buy one anywhere else if there is agreement on a Section amongst us.

There has been no response here to my offer on Friday to approach Liz Ferguson or somebody else at the ASA about trying to arrange any option for us. In the absence of some direction here, I'm reluctant to go and speak "on behalf of the Voyageurs".

Does Gordon or anybody else have any update about overtures made to the CSA[?]?

Beaches, I assume Reza is giving you the go ahead to talk to the ASA about securing a favourable section for the Voyageurs. I think this is a good idea. Let's gather all the possible information, all the possible angles as quickly as possible, then provide the Voyageurs en masse with the options. I, for one, would love to sit in a better section with my Voyageur comrades. I will be bringing a few others with me, too.

Okay, assuming that Liz or someone else at ASA is willing to do us a small favour by setting aside an area of reserved seats for "Voyageurs" to purchase over the phone from Ticketmaster,

1. What price of reserve seats do we want?

2. What side we want to be in?

Concerning 2, the East stand (the side of the ad hoardings, opposite the team benches) seems to be the consensus above, as close to the field as possible (even if the pitch on the near side is obscured because of the hoarding), because we want to be seen on television.

Any consensus on these issues?

Archived