Mens Team 'Base' ?

Bertuzzi44

Hi,

I thought that one of the reasons Frank Yallop took the job of coaching Canada was that he got to choose where in the country they would be based out of. I was under the impression that the team was now going to be based out of VANCOUVER. Am I right? And if so, why don't they play at Swangard or Thunderbird Stadiums in Vancouver for WCQ?

With the team spending the last week or two in Ottawa and Kingston, I was just thinking the other day about what the point of this "based out of Vancouver" thing is. Of course it's only natural that they were in Ottawa and Kingston, just as it'll be only natural when they're in Edmonton prior to games there (assuming they'll be together for only a short time, otherwise if they had a week or two then I guess they could begin in Vancouver), and similarly for other cities (particularly those far from Vancouver). I would think that the only time they'll actually be in Vancouver is when they play in Vancouver.

So what does being based in Vancouver mean, other than the fact that Frank Yallop lives there and has an office there? Why did the CSA make such a big deal about this "move"? Does it really mean anything? I never really got that.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

With the team spending the last week or two in Ottawa and Kingston, I was just thinking the other day about what the point of this "based out of Vancouver" thing is. Of course it's only natural that they were in Ottawa and Kingston, just as it'll be only natural when they're in Edmonton prior to games there (assuming they'll be together for only a short time, otherwise if they had a week or two then I guess they could begin in Vancouver), and similarly for other cities (particularly those far from Vancouver). I would think that the only time they'll actually be in Vancouver is when they play in Vancouver.

So what does being based in Vancouver mean, other than the fact that Frank Yallop lives there and has an office there? Why did the CSA make such a big deal about this "move"? Does it really mean anything? I never really got that.

LOL...more questions then answers, but thanks anyways DJT! :)

Hehe, sorry, I wasn't actually trying to answer you. Your post just reminded me that I wanted to ask these questions, too.

One thing I can tell you is that basing the team in Vancouver certainly doesn't mean that all matches will be played there. We'll surely see some at Swangard, but the rest of the country can't be ignored, especially when the best stadium is in Edmonton (plus there's the fact that Vancouver is far from Europe, so we need to play some games in the east).

So basing the team in Vancouver doesn't mean playing all matches there. The problem is, I don't know what it does mean in practical terms, or even whether it has any significant meaning at all.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

This was probably a negotiation point between Yallop and the CSA. Yallop probably wanted to live there because he had a home there and the CSA moved some offices for no other reason than the fact that it is impractical for an operations and organizational stand point to have your coach in one side of the country and the executive body in another. The fact that the Belize matches were played in Kingston rather than the August 18 game tells me this was nothing more than optics and appeasement and that we won't see any more semi final matches games played in the east. We probably won't see any hex games ( if we get there) played in the east either. By August 18, all the euro based players will be in training with their clubs overseas. Given that the players are currently in their off season, would it not have made sence to play these games out west where the players have more spare time for travel and adjustment instead of the asugust game where they will add an extra 5 hours of travel and adjustment to to the players who already have a tight schedule to deal with.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

How big is thurnderbird stadium?

Thunderbird is no more than 5000 to 6000.I'm not sure the actual # but really Swangard can be the only option here in Vancouver.It is central and easily accessible by transit.It is also a nicer looking stadium.

quote:The fact that the Belize matches were played in Kingston rather than the August 18 game tells me this was nothing more than optics and appeasement and that we won't see any more semi final matches games played in the east. We probably won't see any hex games ( if we get there) played in the east either. By August 18, all the euro based players will be in training with their clubs overseas. Given that the players are currently in their off season, would it not have made sence to play these games out west where the players have more spare time for travel and adjustment instead of the asugust game where they will add an extra 5 hours of travel and adjustment to to the players who already have a tight schedule to deal with.

While I agree to some extent, I believe that there will be at least several matches played in the east, with at least one or two more in Kingston and possibly Montreal.

quote:The fact that the Belize matches were played in Kingston rather than the August 18 game tells me this was nothing more than optics and appeasement and that we won't see any more semi final matches games played in the east. We probably won't see any hex games ( if we get there) played in the east either. By August 18, all the euro based players will be in training with their clubs overseas. Given that the players are currently in their off season, would it not have made sence to play these games out west where the players have more spare time for travel and adjustment instead of the asugust game where they will add an extra 5 hours of travel and adjustment to to the players who already have a tight schedule to deal with.

While I agree to some extent, I believe that there will be at least several matches played in the east, with at least one or two more in Kingston and possibly Montreal.

quote:

Just finished reading a small piece in the TO Sun from Steve Buffery during my lunch. From Yallop's quotes its pretty obvigious that he doesn't want to play in TO. Very disappointing to hear that. especially his reasoning.

Here is the piece. Note the bolded part: I wish that Yallop could provide some recent evidence of this phenomena.

GTA shut out of soccer games

By STEVE BUFFERY, TORONTO SUN

THE NATIONAL men's soccer team will play three more games in Canada this summer now that the side has moved on to the next round of World Cup qualifying. However, it's almost certain that none of those CONCACAF semi-final games will be played in Toronto, or in the GTA.

Canadian Soccer Association officials have awarded one home game to Edmonton, and Burnaby, B.C. will likely host another. The third, yet to be announced, will almost certainly be played out west.

Why not Toronto? Well, for one thing, there is not a decent pitch. For another, fans attending national team games in Toronto tend to cheer for the visiting team. And Canadian head coach Frank Yallop has had enough of that.

"It's up to me now to pick venues with the (CSA) board that's going to be pro-Canadian and I'm determined to do that," said Yallop.

This Canadian team has been injected with a lot of youthful talent and enthusiasm, with the likes of Iain Hume, 20, Atiba Hutchinson, 21, Julian de Guzman, 23, and Dwayne de Rosario, 26. All four are from the Toronto area and would have loved to have played in front of friends and family.

De Rosario, a graduate of Scarborough's Winston Churchill Collegiate, plays for San Jose Earthquakes of the MLS and will likely join the other three national team stars on a major European team after his contract expires next year.

YALLOP fu©k bring the boyz back to Kingston we will drive the 3 hours and common if we drew 9 thousnad + and 5 thousdand + ( on a weeknight) and agaisnt BELIZE !!! we will so boubt sell out against honduras or a costa rica !!!!!!!! common how many costarican live in aorund KINGSTON !!!! we will outsing them anywayz !!!

quote:Originally posted by Polish_LYNX_Fan

YALLOP fu©k bring the boyz back to Kingston we will drive the 3 hours and common if we drew 9 thousnad + and 5 thousdand + ( on a weeknight) and agaisnt BELIZE !!! we will so boubt sell out against honduras or a costa rica !!!!!!!! common how many costarican live in aorund KINGSTON !!!! we will outsing them anywayz !!!

I agree. We made the 3 hour trip Sunday and we had a blast. I could see a sold out stadium there for a game against Costa Rica. And I'm sure they could add bleachers to increase capacity...

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I wish that Yallop could provide some recent evidence of this phenomena.

Much as I would like to agree, Yallop's right. The Carribean and Central American presence has only gotten bigger since our last game in Toronto, so there's no reaosn to think you'd get a pro-Canadian crowd in T.O.

As for "recent" evidence, that's a little hard to do since they haven't played in Canada since 2000.

The bottom line is: Play in Toronto, expect a road game atmosphere.

Kingston is perfect, this week proved that.

I think it's unfair at this point to label the GTA as unfriendly to the Canadian Men's national team. Certainly you wouldn't think so by the last game played here versus T&T. The sold out Varsity crowd was VERY pro Canadian.

The problem is, there's just no where to play.

also. there might be a significant carribean community in TO. But there are many other communities who like soccer and would ceratinly root for Canada. And if you give them a team worth supporting, they will come out. Yallop's comments probably relate back to pre 1998 time. A time when our players played in secondary leagues and the team played a boring, unattractive and underdog style that few in the soccer communities could relate to. With respect to Latin american support, the threat is there. But its not from within, its from visiting foreign supporters.

Returning to Kingston wouldn't be bad

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Thunderbird is no more than 5000 to 6000.I'm not sure the actual # but really Swangard can be the only option here in Vancouver.It is central and easily accessible by transit.It is also a nicer looking stadium.

Thunderbird has 3800 seats, I don't know the rule about temp seats but there is a whole "bowl" that goes around the stadium that could fit another 15,000 easily. Concerts every summer draw crowds of 25,000 there. Internation rugby gets crowds of 10,000.

Given that former Nats - Yallop, Forest maybe others I can't recall, are all stating this to be their opinion, I don't think we can be so dismissive of the notion. BUt whenthe stadium is built, I doubt it will be used only for Women's game, so Toronto will undoubtedly get its share in the years to come.

The notion mainly stems from that Mexico game in 1993 where the CSA (or perhaps OSA on their behalf) sold thousands of tickets to Mexican fans who didn't even live in Canada, let alone Toronto, with many Torontonians coming to cheer on Canada turned away from the stadium on game day. Disappointing but not surprising to see that we are still getting punished by the blunder of the organizers of that day.

There has never been a pro Guatemalan, Honduran or Costa Rican crowd for a Canada match in Toronto. That is a fact and those are the teams we are likely to be facing next round (though without a stadium it is a moot point anyway). There's never been a pro-Cuban, Netherland Antilles or Surimanes crowd in Toronto either for that matter.

Unfortunately I don't think Toronto fans will be able to prove their point until the 2007 Men's U20 Cup, if at all.

Iran in 1997 was pretty bad as well. What the CSA has to do is make sure that the tickets are bought by people who will cheer for Canada. We're going to talk to the CSA about establishing an official Voyageurs Supporters section for all Canadian home games.

Iran wasn't bad at all - that crowd cheered for both countries. The Iranians only booed De Vos because they believe he did something dirty in the game. Nobody else in Canada got booed at all in the match.

The only two WCQ we would have to worry about with Toronto more than any other city would be either Jamaica or T&T, Jamaica wasn't a problem in 1992 & while there was a large contingent of Jamaican fans in 1999 (just a year after their team was in the World Cup & undergoing a massive upsurge in popularity in the city thanks in no small part to Norm Da Costa) by the end of the match there was more cheers for Canada. The Reggae Boyz have faded in popularity, but that's one team I can understand not wanting to take a chance against with a game in Toronto, so that I can understand and it's not like every match should be played in Toronto (just like it's not like the city should be banned from hosting matches).

As for T&T, well we saw what happened that last time they came to Toronto - practically a 100% pro-Canadian crowd.

What I fail to understand is why Yallop would think that, when it comes to the threath of foreign support, Burnaby is any less of a risk than the GTA or any other place in the east. Vancouver is also close to the US border, plus it has a ethnic demographic that is similar to the GTA or any other location in the east. The one difference might be that Swangard has a smaller capacity....But is that what the objective should be? Play in the smallest venue possible?

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Iran in 1997 was pretty bad as well. What the CSA has to do is make sure that the tickets are bought by people who will cheer for Canada. We're going to talk to the CSA about establishing an official Voyageurs Supporters section for all Canadian home games.

I was thinking the same thing. They should limit the amount of seats for foreign support just like every other national team in the world

Archived