Finding Sponsors for Voyageurs

hamiltonfan

Goal: Find Sponsors for Voyageurs

Plan: Ok guys, it’s time to help find as many sponsors for the Voyageurs as possible. The plan is simple but hopefully affective. We will send a letter (the same letter to all so only one letter is need) to many companies as possible. This letter will tell the company why they should pay for a peace of ad space on the Voyageurs home page. It has to include all the stats about how many people visit, ect. This is going to be a big project but with a big reword if all goes well. If you want to help e-mail me back and tell me. Then we will start talking about prices ect. with Jarrek and Reza Also, a letter is need. We only need one so tell me if you can write it in the e-mail to. Thanks

soccerfan_01_01@hotmail.com

Why do we need sponsors?

getting sponsors mean that we would have money. But, what do we need money for? Furthermore we would need someone to administer the money and decide how to spend it. Do you honnestly think you could get any agreement on how to spend money? That is bound to create rifts, divisons and animosity among people. You would need to develope a structure with people in charge would organize meetings and so forth. How can you do that when we only communicate through the internet? These things are certain to create schisms amongst people. The less structured we are the better. We have been successfull in getting people out for many MNT games. Sure, at times, it could have been better. But for the most part, things have been organized in an ad hoc bases but have still been a success. That is what we should be all about IMO. But that is just my view. I'll bet that there are many others on this forum who think that we should have different priorities and who are not interested in MNT's.

Some one tried to that with the supporters group for the Lynx and Trust me. it didn't work.

Jarrek cut to the chase, but I already had this written before he posted so I might as well go ahead and post it anyway...

Free kick, I know what you are saying, but hamiltonfan does have a specific purpose for this money in mind, which he didn't explain for some reason: maintainance of the Voyageurs Web site and forum.

The current host for the site and forum is not good enough. In particular, now that we run our own forum (as opposed to using Network54) our space is filling up very fast and the bandwidth is too low for the large number of simultaneous visitors during peak periods. Hence Jarrek has suggested moving the site to a better host that will be more dedicated to our site and forum, but this will cost more money.

We can use some of the Voyageurs Cup money for a little while, but what we really need is a long-term solution; that is, a continuous flow of money coming in. To accomplish this, selling advertising space on the site to sponsors is probably the best option that would have the least effect on all of us (it amounts only to seeing ads on the site (I'm talking regular ads, as I'm pretty sure there wouldn't be annoying pop-ups), as opposed to, for example, having to make donations over and over again).

BTW, what I've said is based on my incomplete knowledge of the details. Being an admin for the site and forum I am more familiar with this stuff than most people, but it is really Jarrek and Reza that have a full understanding and make the final technical and financial decisions with regards to the site and forum. So anything they say should supercede anything I've said so far, and my apologies to them if I've gotten something wrong.

(BTW Part II, this is all separate from the Voyageurs Cups, which will remain truly fan-based (a key principle behind the whole thing), without sponsors. Costs are comparatively very low and donations should cover them for the foreseeable future.)

quote:PLEASE NO POP-UPS!

Absolutely not. On the forum itself there will be a maximum of one banner to make browsing of the forum quick and easy. We had to deal with pop ups on Network 54 so there is no pop ups on this site and never will be.

Current costs are roughly $200/year. During peak times we get the "Service Unavailable" message as we are limited to a measlely 50 concurrent connections/second. Our site transfers a ridiculous amount of bandwidth, roughly 800MB/day which translates to just under 30GB per month. The costs would probably be twice as much, but we really need the space in regards to the database which is filling up fast. Also the DB and Forum currently runs on MSAccess, I want to convert it to either MsSQL or MySQL.

Current costs are roughly $200/year. During peak times we get the "Service Unavailable" message as we are limited to a measlely 50 concurrent connections/second. Our site transfers a ridiculous amount of bandwidth, roughly 800MB/day which translates to just under 30GB per month. The costs would probably be twice as much, but we really need the space in regards to the database which is filling up fast. Also the DB and Forum currently runs on MSAccess, I want to convert it to either MsSQL or MySQL.

Well I am sure that you would agree, that my views were not intended to discount the notion that we should look for funds sources to ensure proper maintenance of the web page. Of course, no one would disgree with that idea. I also suspect, that very few would be against contributing funds to ensure a proper upkeep provided that an amount needed is disclosed.

But, that is not what I beleive was the intent of the inital post on this forum. I interpreted an intent to generate revenus for other things which weren't specified.

Have a telethon. Or webthon. Or something. Sure we could find 20 guys willing to pony up $20 a head once a year.

Around the shop, come November the lads start hording their beer emptys. By mid December we can usualy put together a pretty big Christmas hamper.

Have a beer. Support the Voyageur website and Canadian football!

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well I am sure that you would agree, that my views were not intended to discount the notion that we should look for funds sources to ensure proper maintenance of the web page. Of course, no one would disgree with that idea. I also suspect, that very few would be against contributing funds to ensure a proper upkeep provided that an amount needed is disclosed.

But, that is not what I beleive was the intent of the inital post on this forum. I interpreted an intent to generate revenus for other things which weren't specified.

I get you, Free kick. hamiltonfan did not explain his intentions, but funds for the site is indeed what he had in mind.

A general comment about donations: it's not bad to do once in a while, but if it's something you know will have to be done every year then it could become a bit of a burden.

Actually Polish Lynx Fan is on to something, I think. How about a drive for donations once a year, and so we know when it's happening, how about the donation drive happen around the first senior national team game of the year?

If all the regular posters sent in five or ten bucks, and if we do it around an event when (a) we're all going to be reading the board very intensely, and (B) bandwidth is uppermost in our minds, I'm sure we can cover the costs.

If we can get some corporate donations too, that's great, but I have no problem ponying up (especially since my current financial situation enables me) -- but I think it's fair to ask donations from our membership here, since all of us seem to get a lot out of reading and discussing here. In fact, it makes a lot more sense to donate annually to this board than to the Voyageurs Cups, because we at least get a direct benefit from our donations.

Let me float one other idea that I've been thinking we might want to divert funds to. There's a lot of work involved in a lot of Voyageurs projects -- Jarrek spends an ungodly amount of time on the site, DJT does a lot of work as a moderator and way more time than anyone else on the Voyageurs Cups -- it would be nice to pay these guys back a little bit out of our funding, if it was possible. If we get a couple hundred bucks extra in the bank every year, sending out a jersey or something one or two worthy recipients -- or a scarf, or hat, or tickets to a men's home game -- seems like a worthwhile venture. No idea how it would work, but if we're going to be member-supported then we should also support those members who make all this stuff possible.

Just some thoughts.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived