Canadians abroad: March 12-18, 2004

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Friday, March 12

8:00 PM (tape-delayed from March 6) on FSWC — United States: MISL

Milwaukee (Semir Mesanovic, Giuliano Oliviero) vs. Kansas City

Sunday, March 14

2:00 PM on ExpressVu 403 — Portugal: Super Liga

Benfica (Fernando Aguiar) vs. Marítimo

*** UPDATED ***

<s>Wednesday, March 17</s>Tuesday, March 16

2:30 PM on FSWC — England: FA Cup (Quarterfinal Replay)

Tranmere (Iain Hume) vs. Millwall

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for March 12-18, 2004.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 11, 2004, 8:59 PM</u>

With only two teams remotely in the race at the top of the table, most of the drama is in the fight to avoid relegation in the Bundesliga. Hannover 96 head into this weekend's home game against 1.FC Kaiserslautern with relegation becoming a definite threat. They currently sit in 15th place, behind Kaiserslautern on goal difference. The bottom 3, 16th through 18th, get relegated but only 1.FC Koeln look sure to go down. Spots 11 (Hamburger SV) through 17 (Hertha BSC) are only separated by 5 points. The Klingon Xavier is out (thank God) and Julian de Guzman may or may not be starting. And if so, who knows if he will be on the back line or in as defensive mid with the new man in charge.

Life is a little easier for Paul Stalteri and company as they still lead the league by 7 points and take on lowly Koeln this weekend. With Bayern Munich knocked out of the CL (Kahn's blunder in Munich was the key), and out of the DFB Pokal, they only have the league to play for so Werder Bremen will be feeling the heat going down the stretch. The two teams don't meet until matchday 32 (of 34) in early May.

Things are going well for Jahn Regensburg in the Bundesliga 2 as they travel to the Moesel tomorrow to take on Eintracht Trier. Tam will be back in familiar terrain but will be on the bench as his team looks to go 4 games without a loss. Jahn Regensburg won 2-1 in the opening round. A win would move Tam's club as high as 7th in the table.

In the Regional League South, Victor Oppong might get the nod to start in the back line for 1.FC Saarbrucken as they take on Stuttgarter Kickers at home tomorrow. They sit in 4th place and a win could put them in a promotion spot.

Maycoll Canizales is not in the picture for Werder Bremen amateurs in the Regional League North.

In the Junioren Bundesliga, no word on whether Jeremy Shepherd will be back with Hertha BSC as they are away to VfL Osnabrueck in the North/Northeast division on Sunday. Expect Dylan Hughes to be back with 1.FC Kaiserslautern as they visit Bayern Munich on Sunday as well. Still waiting for confirmation of Nik Ledgerwood's status as he was supposed to be back training this week.

Guest Can. in UK

March 12, 2004

Brennan's back

CHRIS WISE

'Lucky charm' Jim Brennan was a relieved man yesterday after being given the all-clear to continue his impressive run in the Norwich City starting line-up.

The versatile Canadian international feared his longest spell in the first team since his summer switch from Nottingham Forest would come to an end when he limped off with a knee injury during Sunday's victory over Ipswich.

Manager Nigel Worthington was also worried that his player might have picked up a serious knock – but there was good news for all concerned yesterday when it was revealed that Brennan was fit and raring to go for tomorrow's testing trip to Cardiff.

"It was very painful at the time and I must admit I feared the worst," said the utility player, who has yet to taste defeat in his 12 league outings for the Canaries.

"Their player tackled me near the touchline and won the ball but when he came through his knee hit my knee.

"You always worry when you get an injury like that but once it had settled down it felt fine and it turned out to be a simple knock, the sort you get in football all the time.

"That was a big relief because I've had a good run in the side recently, and obviously I want that to continue."

Brennan has scarcely looked back since making his debut for the Canaries as a substitute in the 1-0 victory over Crewe in November. He spent the early stages of his Carrow Road on the sidelines after picking up a complex thigh injury in a pre-season friendly, but has certainly made up for lost time since working his way back to fitness.

He followed up six appearances from the bench with a goal-scoring debut in the FA Cup defeat at Everton, and since cementing his place in the starting line-up has been involved in four wins, two draws – and no defeats.

Brennan looks certain to maintain his run of games at Ninian Park, but it remains to be seen what role he will adopt as the Canaries bid to take another giant step towards the Premiership.

It all depends on the fitness of Adam Drury, who missed the East Anglian derby with a hip injury and has yet to return to training.

"We'll just have to wait and see on Adam," said Worthington yesterday. "We're hoping he can start training again on Friday and if he does we'll just take it from there.

"The good news is that Jim is fine. With an injury like that you are always concerned about knee ligament damage but thankfully it was nothing serious and he's now back in training and available for selection at the weekend."

If Drury fails to make it Brennan is likely to continue at left-back, even though even though youngster Jason Shackell did an excellent job as the Canadian's 44th minute replacement on Sunday. If Drury is fit then Brennan looks set to play on the left-side of midfield, with youngster Ian Henderson the most likely candidate to step down.

De Guzman has started in the first game under Hannover's new coach, but they are currently losing 1-0 very late in the match. Apparently Julian made a nice defensive play early on, garnering some applause. He also had some scoring chances throughout the match until the 68th minute when he was taken off & replaced by a striker (shortly after Kaiserslautern took the lead in the 62nd minute).

Guest Jeffery S.

Hannover lost 0-1 to Kaiserslautern, flirting with relegation now. De Guzman was subbed out m. 69, just after the goal.

Paul Stalteri played 90, apparently on defence, as Werder Bremen hung on to beat Koln 3-2 after going up by three. Ailton scored two. With Bayern Munich drawing 3-3 to Rostock, Bremen is back up by 7 points with 11 games to go.

Iain Hume started the match for Tranmere vs. Chesterfield, and has scored to even the match at 1-1.

Here's the description:

Goal by Iain Hume (Tranmere) drilled right-footed (bottom-right of goal) from right side of six-yard box (6 yards).

Edit: Here's another one.. 2-1 Tranmere:

Goal by Iain Hume (Tranmere) drilled right-footed (bottom-right of goal) from right side of penalty area (6 yards).

More Canadians involved in goal scoring... Peschisolido scores to put Derby County up 1-0 ... Radzinski assists Rooney to put Everton up 1-0 against Portsmouth.

And in some good news out of Plymouth, Bent appears to be healthy enough to finally make the subs bench again. His team is up 1-0 in the 2nd half, I don't think he's made an appearance yet.

Edited to update - Bent has come on in the 88th minute, Plymouth up 2-1 very late.

Guest Jeffery S.

Summing up, Radz came on m. 32 for injured Ferguson, stripped the ball of defender Primus and fed to Rooney for the Everton goal. Was subbed out in the last min. of reg time.

In Div. 1, de Vos played 90 as they drew scoreless at Bradford.

Norwich lost 2-1 to Cardiff City, Brennan subbed off at the half.

Pesch scored in the Derby win over Rotherham, m. 62. Match stats say he had 9 shots, most on goal. Sounds like he came out on fire, they'll be happy with the signing as it keeps them third from last but in the fight to avoid relegation.

Plymouth held on to win 2-1, Bent came on for his first time in a long while in m. 88.

QPR beat Swindon away 1-4, Bircham was carded m. 58 and subbed out m. 78.

Hume's two strikes were to no avail as Chesterfield drew them 2-2 on an own goal m. 82 then scored to win late, 2-3 full time.

Bury drew scoreless away to Rochdale as Dunfield played the whole match.

Guest Jeffery S.

Richard Hastings did not play as Maastricht lost again, 2-0 to stay in relegation in Dutch 2nd division. They have a new coach, but Hastings is not seeing time, and the team is not improving. This was Friday night.

Guest Jeffery S.

Played last weekend, Port Talbot in Wales beat Cfan Druids 0-1 with Simon Rayner going the whole way in the nets, going into the semi-finals of the Welsh Cup. They draw league leader TNS, and if they win, April 3, they may be given the UEFA spot as the other finalist could already have it for league play. Best Cup result ever for Port Talbot.

They play a league game today, reports not in yet.

Actually Bremen is now 9 points ahead of Bayern with 10 games left to play.

They have two tough fixtures, one away to Stuttgart in two weeks time and one away to Munich 2 weeks before the end of the season (week 32 of 34). Munich also plays away in Stuttgart in week 33.

It's going to be interesting, but Bremen now has a clear shot at the title.

Im excited by Hume's performance.....i know everyone's talked about him garnering exposure from his play this year and the WYC, has n e one heard of any rumours regarding premiership or div 1 teams pursueing Hume?

Also, why was Pesch able to transfer after the transfer window had closed? Is it because they're both 1st div enlgish teams? jw

I think it was on the basis of a double loan, with the contracts provisional on the coming of summer. I know that FIFA has complained about this avenue of avoiding the transfer windows, and has threatened to tighten the rules up.

Several of the articles on the British sites refer to the deal as a "loan signing". The official squad list on the official Sheffield United website still lists Pesch as number 10, but with "(on loan to Derby)", and Izale McLeod is listed as number 18 "(on loan from Derby)", so that's how the deal is probably registered with the League. Note: You have to register to get past homepage of SU site, so I didn't provide a link.

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

Im excited by Hume's performance.....i know everyone's talked about him garnering exposure from his play this year and the WYC, has n e one heard of any rumours regarding premiership or div 1 teams pursueing Hume?

Also, why was Pesch able to transfer after the transfer window had closed? Is it because they're both 1st div enlgish teams? jw

I think if Hume makes a big impression in the final few rounds of the FA Cup (if Tranmere can get past Millwall in the replay), then some bigger clubs might look to scoop him up. Still, he is still young. I don't think a move would be worth it for him, unless it was to a Premiership side, as he has a new baby at home, and seems to be quite settled at Tranmere

Guest Jeffery S.

Michael Klukowski played 90 as La Louvière lost 0-1 at home to Lierse on Saturday night. They remain mid-table.

Daniel Imhof was subbed out in m. 88 as St. Gallen beat NE Xamax 3-1 this afternoon, they go three points above relegation, in a bunch with a lot of threatened teams.

Ante Jazic played 90 and was carded in the 2nd half as Rapid Vienna could only draw FC Superfund (?what kind of name is that?) without goals this aft. They are third, a UEFA spot, but fall off the pace for the league leadership, 5 points from Austria Vienna.

Simon Rayner played 90 and got the shutout as Port Talbot beat Newtown 2-0 in the Welsh League. The club report said "Newtown came into the game a bit more in the second half but still failed to trouble the home goal as goalkeeper Simon Rayner gave another commanding performance behind the safe defence of Richard Carter and Liam Hancock."

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 12, 2004, 11:56 PM</u>

Tam Nsaliwa might see the field next week as Jahn Regensburg were beaten soundly 4-0 in Trier today. They were down 1-0 at the half and were pounded in the 2nd half.

A big win for 1. FC Saarbruecken today in the Regional League South as they edge Stuttgarter Kickers 1-0 and move at least temporarily into 2nd place (top two promoted). It doesn't look like Victor Oppong was on the field according to a fan site but have not seen an official game report yet.

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 14, 2004, 6:10 PM</u>

Julian de Guzman was subbed out in the 2nd half from his defensive mf position as Hannover 96 dropped into relegation territory yesterday, losing 1-0 to 1. FC Kaiserslautern.

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen gained two points on Bayern Munich yesterday as they defeated 1.FC Koeln 3-2 and are inching ever so closer to the title.

In the Junioren Bundesliga, only Dylan Hughes was in action today as his 1. FC Kaiserslautern dropped a 2-0 decision to Bayern Munich.

I am not sure about this, but I thought that the transfer windows only applied to the top division in each country. I just did some searches trying to verify this, and found mixed results.

Then again, apparently some kind of transfer window is applied to A-League...

I am not sure about this, but I thought that the transfer windows only applied to the top division in each country. I just did some searches trying to verify this, and found mixed results.

Then again, apparently some kind of transfer window is applied to A-League...

Originally posted on the other forum by Ed - Mar 15, 2004, 3:01 PM</u>

Maycoll Canizales is gone for the season with an Achilles injury. He will be out 4 to 6 months and if that news isn't bad, he is also out of contract this summer with Werder Bremen. Coach Thomas Wolter of the Regional League reserves team says that they do not like to 'leave a player hanging' (if I got my idiom right), so there may be some hope of him staying but it sounds like he will be looking for a new club. Kind of tough to break into a side looking at Champions League action next season.

Paul Stalteri and Werder Bremen are one game away from the German FA Cup (DFB Pokal) final as they have home field advantage as they take on VfB Luebeck of the Bundesliga 2 in the first semifinal [on Tuesday]. The other semifinal has another Div 1 vs Div 2 tilt as Alemannia Aachen host Borussia Moenchengladbach [on Wednesday].

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar played 90 in the Benfica 1-0 win over Maritimo on Sunday eve. Or at least I am pretty sure he did, my Portugal sources are unreliable this week, not working as they usually do. The Benfica website says he worked hard 1st half without much success, but was better in the 2nd half.

Benfica play Belenenses at home in the Portugal Cup semi-final tomorrow, in Lisbon. It is not clear he will start.

Kevin de Serpa did not dress for Penafiel, 2nd division, who drew 2-2.

Canadians in Italy

From now on I'll update the Canadians in Italy on Mondays or Tuesdays instead of Sundays because there's more information available after the weekend.

March 14

[*]Serie C1: Martina 1-1 Teramo (Rocco Placentino)

Placentino was subbed in late once again. The main report on Teramo's site says it was at the 88th minute while other reports say it was at the 84th minute. He's still not finding any significant playing time despite his good performance in his debut and in the friendly a couple of weeks ago.

[*]Serie D: Isola Liri (David Masciantonio) 3-2 Terracina

Masciantonio started but had to be subbed out at the 37th minute (leading 1-0) after an "ugly episode" in midfield ended with Masciantonio on the ground injured and a Terracina player red carded. This match was played on neutral ground in Rome as Isola Liri are serving a 3-match ban from their home stadium after fans repeatedly threw grenades onto the field during previous home games. The win ends Isola Liri's 6-match winless streak.

[*]Promozione Puglia (7th tier): Lucera (Franco Lalli) 2-0 Altamura

Lalli did not dress as he is still injured.

Archived