Canadians abroad: March 12-18, 2004

DJT

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Isola Liri are serving a 3-match ban from their home stadium after fans repeatedly threw grenades onto the field

I probably shouldn't laugh, but I think that's about the funniest thing I have ever read on these forums. It sounds like a Monty Python sketch made real.

And Stalteri is in action right now in the DFB Pokal semifinal with Werder Bremen hosting VfB Luebeck. The lower division visitors have the surprise lead early on.

Goodness. Sounds like the underdogs are defending in numbers, with the latest ticker "Ailton takes on 7 defenders!!". Hope Sheik Al-Kahalfrei Ailton did not overindulge in figs and such this past week.

Tranmere gets one back:

40:05 Goal - Gary Jones

Tranmere 1-2 Millwall.

Headed goal by Gary Jones (Tranmere) (top-right of goal) from right side of penalty area (6 yards).Tranmere 1-2 Millwall. Assist (cross) by Iain Hume (Tranmere) from right wing.

Hume & Pesch seem to have good games individually today, but both of their teams lost & Tranmere are now out of the FA Cup. Same with De Vos, who played 90 for Wigan but he had a teammate sent off early & they lost 2-1 in a crucial match against West Brom (who they are chasing for automatic promotion to the EPL).

Brennan, on the other hand, was an un-used sub for Norwich today, who beat Gillingham comformtably 3-0.

Bent wasn't dressed today as Plymouth won 2-0, while Bircham was (I believe) the only Canadian in England to play & win at the same time today, as QPR won 2-0 as well.

Stalteri's team is up 3-2 in ET (no golden goal here, as there have been 3 extra-time goals thus far) against Lubeck. Stalteri was subbed out in favour of a striker, Charisteas (sic?) in the 101st minute with Bremen down 2-1. He had picke up a yellow in minute 83.

I thought Hume played quite well. A couple of times late he was over-ambitious and a few times he didn't hit it when I thought he should (they moved him to the left wing and had him cutting in towards goal with the ball begging to be hit with his right foot). Great skill to create the goal, but for the first 30 minutes Millwall was a class above Tranmere. Rovers battled and had chances to tie, but I can't really imagine them playing Man U or Arsenal.

Oh and Hume had a cross between a mohawk and a Joehican today. I figured I should be the first one to bring it up. I didn't have any volume, but it seemed like the halftime commentators were talking about him quite a bit.

cheers,

matthew

Watched the Tranmere Millwall match. As with the first match against Millwall, Tranmere are pittiful (not that Millwall are much better). They simply play long ball to Jones or Dadi in the center all game long. Hume, in my opinion (and as some of you know I am generally pretty critical of Canadian players), is head and shoulders above anyone on his team in talent. Pretty much every time he touched the ball in the last 1/3 of the field, he created something. He is lost with that team and I sincerely hope he moves to another in England (even Division 1) that plays football.

The colour man for Sky was reasonably critical of him. The play by play guy mentioned at one point that there were a number of premiership scouts there looking at Millwall players and suggested that Hume was worth a look. The colour guy said he gives the ball away too much (although I honestly can't remember him doing it once in the match...in fact, he seemed about the only one on Tranmere that didnt). Later, it seemed pretty clear that the colour guy (who was Scottish) was pissed that Hume chose Canada over Scotland. Not sure he was a fair judge of his talent.

I have to say that watching Tranmere now twice in the last couple of weeks, the English second division is pretty poor (if Tranmere is an indicator of the class). They play route one football with very little possession. Our U-20s were superior in that department from the matches I watched.

From BBC report

Tranmere continued to try and push forward but struggled to get behind the Millwall defence until Iain Hume's skill and persistence finally paid dividends after 41 minutes.

Hume seemed to have few options available but jinked and weaved to the byeline before crossing from the right for Jones to head beyond Andy Marshall.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

The colour man for Sky was reasonably critical of him. The play by play guy mentioned at one point that there were a number of premiership scouts there looking at Millwall players and suggested that Hume was worth a look. The colour guy said he gives the ball away too much (although I honestly can't remember him doing it once in the match...in fact, he seemed about the only one on Tranmere that didnt). Later, it seemed pretty clear that the colour guy (who was Scottish) was pissed that Hume chose Canada over Scotland. Not sure he was a fair judge of his talent.

The colour guy actually attributed the "gives the ball away too much" observation to "Little" whom I assumed to be Brain Little, the Tranmere Manager.

Canadian Hume sets up goal but Tranmere fails to reach FA Cup semifinal

TRANMERE, England (CP) - Canadian Iain Hume worked his FA Cup magic again Tuesday, setting up a goal, but it wasn't enough as First Division Millwall defeated Second Division Tranmere Rovers in an FA Cup quarter-final replay.

The two clubs drew 0-0 on March 7. Hume had helped Tranmere reach the final eight with stunning goals that knocked out Premier League side Bolton and Third Division Swansea City.

The Canadian-under 20 star turned provider Tuesday. Hume, a forward from Brampton, Ont., set up Tranmere's goal with a glorious cross in the 40th minute that Gary Jones headed home.

Goals from Tim Cahill and Neil Harris in the opening 15 minutes helped Millwall win a place in the FA Cup semifinals for the first time in 67 years.

The unfashionable London side will face fellow First Division club Sunderland in the semifinal on April 4 at the neutral ground of Old Trafford in Manchester.

Premier League giants Arsenal and Manchester United play the other semifinal the day before at Villa Park in Birmingham.

Cahill scored in the 11th minute from a Danny Dichio cross. Dichio also set up the second, crossing for Harris to volley past Tranmere goalkeeper John Achterberg.

Millwall is managed by former Chelsea star Dennis Wise, who took over in November when Mark McGhee was fired. The club is pushing for promotion to the Premier League, along with Sunderland.

"We'll fancy beating each other - it's a great advert for the (First Division) league and hopefully we'll do what we've done against them twice in the league this season," Harris said.

The last time Millwall made it to the semifinals of the FA Cup was in 1937, when it lost to eventual winners Sunderland.

Wise, who won the FA Cup as a player with Wimbledon in 1988 and Chelsea in 1997 and 2000, called the victory fantastic.

"Tranmere gave us a hell of a game though and put us under a lot of pressure," he said.

"We should have won the game at their place - we shouldn't have been here tonight - but I'm chuffed (pleased) to bits at the way it went."

It's been 12 years since the FA Cup had a finalist from outside the top division - that was Sunderland, which lost in the 1992 final to Liverpool. The last team from outside the top flight to win the FA Cup was West Ham in 1980.

The final is scheduled for May 22 at Millennium Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

In other action Tuesday, Canadian striker Paul Peschisolido scored his second goal in as many starts for Derby County in a 2-1 loss to Watford in First Division play.

Bircham played Ok yesterday in a 2-0 win against Wrexham. He picked up his 10th yellow card against Hartlepool, so he will be suspended for two crucial games, our home game against Luton, and our big, big game away to Bristol City.

To answer the question about how Paul Pescisolido was able to move to Derby outside the transfer windon, is that the transfer window doesn't apply to Nationwide League clubs. For example a Nationwide club could sign a player from a Premiership club outside the transfer window, but a Premiership club couldn't do the opposite. By the way, I was supprised Peschisolido moved, sounded like he was having a decent enough season at Sheffield United, but I went on a Sheff Utd message board yesterday, and someone said that Derby had trebled his wages. Maybe that would explain the move.

the sun in the uk described hume and the goal he set up last night as follows:

But you write off Second Division Tranmere in knockout competitions at your peril — and it was so nearly the case again last night.

Iain Hume — a man who is a nailed-on cert to ply his trade on bigger fields than this — whipped over a brilliant cross.

And though Millwall’s defending did not earn any plus marks off the boss, Jones was not about to complain as he buried a header from six yards out.

Guest Jeffery S.

Some notes as I come down from the Spanish Cup final high, a fine game that was up the hill from me.

Ante Jazic played 90 as Rapid Vienna lost to Admira Wacker 1-0, and are now 4th and out of UEFA spots, but with a game in hand.

Daniel Imhof played 90 in a good 2-3 win over Thun in Swiss top flight tonight. They move clear of relegation.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar did not get off the bench as Benfica beat Belenenses 3-1 to go into a Porto-Benfica Portugal Cup final. They were leading 3-0 at the half. Big news in the game is that Fernando's positional rival Petit was injured with a calf muscle tear and will be out for three weeks. Big moment for Aguiar, who will surely be called in for league play and the big UEFA tie vs. Inter in Milan next week.

Related Cup news, 2nd division Aachen knocked out Moenchengladbach in the German Cup semis and will be Stalteri and Bremen's rival in the final.

See Young De Guzman is back after his injury playing for Feyenoord A-1. he was subbed in at the 67 min.

Feyenoord A1 - FC Twente 13-03-2004 | 00:00

ALLEEN TRIOMF TELT VOOR A1

Aan de anderhalve kans – een hele voor Felino Jardimin de eerste helft, een halve voor Jonathan de Guzman na rust - die A1 zich zaterdagmiddag tegen Twente/Heracles als gevolg van eigen kwaliteiten creëerde, had het elftal van Henk Fräser zaterdagmiddag op Varkenoord niet genoeg. Aan de op slag van rust terecht door de uitstekend leidende arbiter Boonman toegekende strafschop wel. Het rake stipschot van Jardim bleek voldoende voor de volle winst: 1-0.

‘Aanvaardbaar’ mocht de kwalificatie luiden voor het spel dat A1 de ruim driehonderd toeschouwers in de eerste helft van het thuisduel met Twente/Heracles had voorgeschoteld. Aanvaardbaar omdat Feyenoord zich met Resham Sardar in de hoofdrol in die periode op het bar slechte veld in elk geval de betere ploeg had getoond en zich daardoor ook de beste mogelijkheden op een treffer had geschapen. Tim Vincken (ingreep Jelmer Rumathe), Jardim (op aangeven van Sardar), Gianni Zuiverloon (inzet te zacht) en nogmaals Vincken (over) scoorden echter niet.

Dat de bezoekers zich wat het aantal kansen betreft niet met Feyenoord konden meten, pleit niet voor de ploeg uit Overijssel. De Rotterdamse defensie immers rammelde vooral als gevolg van een schrijnend gebrek aan onderlinge coaching bij vlagen flink. Eén keer slechts ging het daardoor bijna mis. Het misverstand tussen Dion Dickhoff en Dustley Mulder werd door Zuiverloon met een op het juiste moment uitgevoerde ingreep hersteld.

Op slag van rust kwam voor Feyenoord de beloning voor de betere spelopvatting, die achteraf van beslissende aard bleek. Bertjan Wijers (waarvoor geel) schoffelde Jardim tegen de vlakte, die zelf de stafschop nam. Chris Wijnterp had in het Twentse doel geen enkele kans op de inzet van Feyenoords aanvalsleider: 1-0. Dé ideale kans op een voorsprong had diezelde Jardim een paar minuten eerder laten liggen, toen hij na een geweldige mistrap van Twentenaar Robert Oonk door Vincken in stelling was gebracht. Vrij voor Wijnterp ramde hij de bal via de keeper op de paal.

Na rust werd het duel vooral gekenmerkt door saaiheid, slechts in het laatste gedeelte onderbroken door een viertal memorabele momenten. Zo was daar twintig minuten voor tijd na zwak ingrijpen van de Feyenoord-defensie plotseling een enorme scrimmage voor het doel van Jesper Hogedoorn, die namens de bezoekers uiteindelijk werd besloten met een schot van Marcel Kleizen. Gelukkig voor Feyenoord rolde de bal voorlangs.

Een vrije trap voor Twente/Heracles, dertien minuten voor het eindsignaal gegeven, was daarna een tweede hoogtepunt. Met een geweldige reflex tikte Hogedoorn het schot van invaller Derk Boerrigter echter uit de kruising. In blessuretijd (de laatste blikvanger van de tweede helft) moest Hogedoorn op herhaling. Nu pareerde hij knap een kopbal van Oonk.

Hoogtepunt drie kwam even daarvoor op naam van Jonathan de Guzman. Ingevallen voor Sardar spoedde de Canadees zich achtereenvolgens knap langs Timothy Kok, Wijers en Oonk. Door het drietal verdedigers naar de buitenkant van de zestien gedwongen, was de inzet van De Guzman daarna te slap om Wijnterp serieus te verontrusten.

De tevredenheid over de zege verdrong na afloop uiteindelijk ook bij Henk Fräser de teleurstelling over het vertoonde spel. ‘Eén van de mindere thuiswedstrijden, zo niet de minste die we tot nu toe hebben afgewerkt,’ vond Feyenoords trainer. ‘In elk geval de eerste wedstrijd die ik echt snel wil vergeten. Vooral na rust was het bijzonder matig. Omdat we zo hoog mogelijk willen eindigen - ik acht alleen Ajax en AZ beter dan ons - zijn de punten belangrijk. Wat mij betreft einde bericht. Er valt weinig meer over deze wedstrijd te melden.’

Lokatie Varkenoord

Scheidsrechter -

Supporters 350

Formatie

Feyenoord Hogedoorn; Dickhoff, Zuiverloon, Van de Boogaart, Van Peppen; Mulder, Sardar (67.), Blonk; Vincken, Jardim, Lammers (87.).

Formatie

FC Twente Wijnterp; Kok, Oonk, Wijers, Rumathe; Brama, Ozcan (81.), Kleizen; Velten, Sylla (46.), Slagter (69.).

Tussenstand 1-0

Eindstand 1-0

Doelpunten

Feyenoord 44. Felino Jardim (strafschop) 1-0

Doelpunten

FC Twente -

Wissels

Feyenoord (67.) De Guzman (87.) Whitlau

Wissels

FC Twente (46.) El Ahmadi (69.) Boerrigter (81.) Krijnsen

Gele kaarten

Feyenoord -