Canadian Olympic roster released

loyola

Men's Olympic (U-23) Team

Friday, January 30, 2004

Twamley Releases Olympic Qualifying Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s Olympic (U-23) Team head coach Bruce Twamley today released his 20-player roster for the CONCACAF Men’s Olympic Qualifying tournament in Guadalajara, Mexico from February 2-12, 2004. The two finalists will qualify for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

Canada will compete in Group A with Honduras, Panama, and the United States. Mexico, Trinidad & Tobago, Jamaica, and Costa Rica are competing in Group B.

Canada’s opening game of the tournament is against Honduras on Tuesday, February 3rd. Their next opponent is the United States on Thursday, February 5th and finally Panama on Saturday, February 7th to end their group play in the tournament.

“We’re going to give it a great effort,” said Twamley. “We have to get the results to advance and we will have to use the entire squad for this condensed tournament.”

The Roster includes seven players from the Youth team that recently made the quarter-finals at the 2003 FIFA Word Youth Championship in the UAE; Elliott Godfrey, Kevin Hamse, Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, Sita-Taty Matondo, and Josh Simpson. Brampton native, Atiba Hutchinson who was recently named to the FIFA all-star team at the World Youth Championship will be available for the tournament.

New to the roster is Windsor-native Stephen Ademolu who plays for Cleveland State University in Ohio. Ademolu, who was named the 2003 Horizon Conference (NCAA) Player of Year, made his debut for Canada in the 1-1 draw with Martinique in Fort de France on December 29, 2003.

Unable to join Canada in Guadalajara due to club commitments are Terry Dunfield who plays for Bury in the English Third Division, Iain Hume of Tranmere Rovers in the English Second Division, and Mike Klukowski of La Louviere in the Belgian First Division. Julian de Guzman who plays for Hannover 96 in the German Bundesliga will join the Canadian squad after his Sunday match against Hamburg. Following the match against Honduras, de Guzman will return to Hannover for his club’s February 8th showdown with Bayern Munich.

“It is unfortunate that we weren’t able to get all our European players. We will have to compensate with the other players,” added Twamley.

Deadline for roster changes is tomorrow, Saturday, January 31, 2004.

Games

Date Game Time

02/03/04 Canada vs. Honduras 18:00 (local)

02/05/04 Canada vs. USA 20:00 (local)

02/07/04 Canada vs. Panama 18:00 (local)

02/10/04 Semi-finals

Group A Winner vs. Group B Runner-up 17:30 (local)

Group B Winner vs. Group A Runner-up 20:00 (local)

02/12/04 Third Place 17:30 (local)

Final 20:00 (local)

Roster

# Position Name Hometown DOB Club

1 GK OLIVIERI, Andrew Montreal 27-Mar-81 Montreal Impact

2 DF BRAZ, Adam Dorval 07-Jun-81 Montreal Impact

3 DF MARSHALL, Winston Scarborough 26-Feb-83 Wright State University

4 DF OPPONG, Victor Scarborough 04-Sep-81 FC Saarbrücken

5 DF POZNIAK, Chris North York 10-Jan-81 unattached

6 MF NSALIWA, Tam Edmonton 28-Jan-82 SSV Jahn Regensburg

7 MF WILLIAMS, Chris Toronto 01-Jun-81 Montreal Impact

8 MF PLACENTINO, Rocco Montreal 25-Feb-82 US Avellino

9 MF MATONDO, Sita-Taty St-Laurent 28-Dec-84 Montreal Impact

10 MF DE GUZMAN, Julian Scarborough 25-Mar-81 Hannover 96

11 FW FRIEND, Rob Kelowna 23-Jan-81 Moss FK

12 MF MASCIANTONIO, David Oakville 17-Dec-81 A.C. Isola Liri

13 MF HUTCHINSON, Atiba Brampton 08-Feb-83 Helsingborgs IF

14 FW ADEMOLU, Stephen Windsor 20-Nov-82 Cleveland State Univ.

15 MF SIMPSON, Josh Victoria 15-May-83 University of Portland

16 FW GODFREY, Elliott Toronto 22-Feb-83 Watford FC

17 DF HARMSE, Kevin Coquitlam 04-Jul-84 Tromso

18 DF THOMPSON, Justin N.Vancouver 09-Jan-81 unattached

19 MF SAVARIA, Mathieu St-Hubert 14-May-81 Fairleigh Dickinson Univ.

22 GK KARIM, Alim Scarborough 20-Apr-83 Syracuse University

Staff

Derek Wisdom Head of Delegation

Bruce Twamley Head Coach

Mark Watson Assistant Coach

Earl Cochrane Head of Administration/Press Officer

Rudolph Gittens Team Doctor

Ted Tilbury Therapist

Voon Chong Equipment Manager

Dale Mitchell Canada Staff Coach

Frank Yallop Canada Staff Coach

Yes, it will hurt us not to have Hume in the lineup, but I still think that Friend and Placentino can score. I'm also curious to know why Olivier Occean is not on the roster: he's a forward and was drafted in the MLS 3rd round 2 weeks ago.

Nightmare week ahead for Julian de Guzman. Yikes. Game on Sunday vs Hamburg (a Saturday game would have been much preferred in hindsight), flight out late that night or next morning, arrive in Mexico Monday am at the earliest, game Tuesday in freakin' Guadalajara. Then the Sunday game in Munich (at least that game wasn't scheduled for Saturday Feb 7th).

At least this puts to rest any quetstions re Julian's committment to Canada. He could easily have not made the trip and blamed it on his manager.

Suprrised to see Tam included, but not MC2. Is Canizalez injured? Or did Bremen not let him go?

Credit to Julian for putting in the air miles to play for us in the one match - I wish we could have had him against the US as well.

MC2 & Hume represent a lot of potential goals missing. Somebody like Friend is going to have to get hot for us to qualify.

A bit more on Stephen Ademolu. It's nice to see his university coach so proud to see him named to the squad.

http://csuvikings.ocsn.com/sports/m-soccer/spec-rel/013004aaa.html

BTW, it would be interesting to see if this team struggles for goals if Ademolu and Godfrey, particularly the latter, will be given a chance to have a crack at it.

This could be a solid opportunity for some of the youth side players to pick up some experience at the next level.

Maybe Tam is sufficiently recovered to begin conditioning training like DeVos was when he played with the national team a while back. Olympic games might be preferred by Regensburg over some reserve games.

I can't see Regensburg releasing him if he was 100% healthy when they don't have to. Especially, when he has been judged by some to be one of Regensburg's best players in the first half.

In which case, I don't think we can expect him to start, immediately. Or maybe a 75% Tam is better than the alternative?

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Suprrised to see Tam included, but not MC2. Is Canizalez injured? Or did Bremen not let him go?

Credit to Julian for putting in the air miles to play for us in the one match - I wish we could have had him against the US as well.

MC2 & Hume represent a lot of potential goals missing. Somebody like Friend is going to have to get hot for us to qualify.

Yea, good job by Hannover and Julian. The good thing is, Jt lag wont effect him as much if he goes back to germany right after his Canada game, Since it will have only half-worn off, it willl take half as much time get better on the return trip. Or so it would seem. N e ways, the moment i saw the post for the roster, the 1st thing i thought of was "please please please let JDG be there" Hume is the main dissapointment but life goes on. I think we have a shot. Semis, like mentioned above, should be THE goal.

In another thread I posted that Nsaliwa played 45 min today for Regensburg.. Wonder what that means? Will he be on that same plane with DeGuzman? Will he be playing one game like DeGuzman? Remember, he has to be Regensburg's most valuable property. He is judged my some as one of their best players and then only 22.

Also, I am hoping he was subbed for conditioning reasons and not aggravating an injury.

With De Guzman in the lineup against Honduras, we have a good chance to win and after that we need to get the W against Panama, a country that we are suppose to beat. So we a have a shot to the semis. I'm a curious to know if De Guzman will come back to Mexico if we get to the semis? The semis are scheduled for 10/02/2004, what's Hannover schedule for the previous week end?

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

"The last 10 weeks have gone so well for Josh Simpson, he may have played his way off the University of Portland men's soccer team and into a professional contract."

Full article...

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=22793

Is it just me, or do I really like his attitude. The last line where he said he and Sinclair can chat in Athens just shows the confidence he has in himself and in the direction of Canadian soccer.

quote:Originally posted by Davis

i wonder wat the hell karim is doing on this squad n e ways? hes not a good keeper, a good attitude will only carry you so far if you dont have the skill

Karim proved his bona fides at the U-20: his performance at the U-20 tells me he is a very good keeper who is getting by on more than a good attitude.

Obviously you're a buddy of Thunder Dan. If I read between the lines, you're saying that what Karim brought to the team (ability + attitude) was greater than what Thunder Dan brought to the team (ability + attitude.) Is that right?

Blair

i wonder wat the hell karim is doing on this squad n e ways? hes not a good keeper, a good attitude will only carry you so far if you dont have the skill

Obviously you're a buddy of Thunder Dan. If I read between the lines, you're saying that what Karim brought to the team (ability + attitude) was greater than what Thunder Dan brought to the team (ability + attitude.) Is that right?

Blair

Archived