Calgary Mustangs offical logo & colours (Thread 1)

hamiltonfan

Frankly, I don't think it really matters any more. The Storm logo was almost universally hailed as what a real soccer logo should look like --- but they lasted two years. The new Lynx logo was almost universally laughed at --- but they are entering their eighth season. I'd rather be looking at this Mustangs logo ten years from now than have a cool Storm-like logo that will be gone in two.

A much bigger concern is what kind of news we are going to get from the Mustangs this week. Let's not put the cart before the, uhh, mustang.

Oh where to start?

I have a difference of opinion on some design points with the Aviators logo. The flaming "E" doesn't look like flames, nor an "E", the off-set arc of the text is fine.. except it doesn't hold it on the bottom text making the logo akward, the grey circle has no business being there, etc.

However, I respect the fact that it's a professionally done logo. It gives the team a fair amount of corporate credibility. Wether that holds up on the pitch remains to be seen... but it sure gets them off on the right foot.

The Mustangs logo, on the other hand, creeps me out, not only because it's... ugly and done by a 3-year-old using MS paint, but because it gives me the impression that a 3-year-old is running the shop!

While I agree that a logo is secondary to the team on the pitch... it sure gives an insight to the corporate mentality. Sports marketing is a huge industry. You think Manchester United recently signed that Chinese guy because they think he's better than any 6 other players they could've signed? No... they signed him 'cause he's a star in China... and a billion people walking around in Red Devils shirts sounds like a good idea to them.

If you want a Canadian comparison, I wouldn't hold up the Toronto Lynx as the best example. I don't have first hand knowledge of the situation, but by all accounts, they've got a crappy logo and a crappy bush league management mentality. Better examples would be both the Whitecaps.. and more recently the Impact. The first time I saw the new Impact logo I instantly knew that there was a serious turn around in the leadership of the club.

I remain hopeful that this is far from the finished product but that the Calgary Mustangs simply feel they need to start getting their colours known. They've had less lead time than the Aviators to work "behind the scenes" so they're feeling the pressure to put up something. Witness all the cries at Cooks' Mustangs Alley site (http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/goto?forumid=121256)... "when are we gonna see something! anything!"

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Frankly, I don't think it really matters any more. The Storm logo was almost universally hailed as what a real soccer logo should look like --- but they lasted two years. The new Lynx logo was almost universally laughed at --- but they are entering their eighth season. I'd rather be looking at this Mustangs logo ten years from now than have a cool Storm-like logo that will be gone in two.

While I see what you're saying, to me it comes down to this - I would still wear my Calgary FC t-shirt because it looks nice. You couldn't pay me to wear something with that Mustangs logo on it.

I mean they could have knocked off the Olympique Marseille logo and had a C and an M and that would look better. You can pretty much do anything and have it look better.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. nice logo Strobe_z

quote:Originally posted by DJT

While I see what you're saying, to me it comes down to this - I would still wear my Calgary FC t-shirt because it looks nice. You couldn't pay me to wear something with that Mustangs logo on it.

I mean they could have knocked off the Olympique Marseille logo and had a C and an M and that would look better. You can pretty much do anything and have it look better.

cheers,

matthew

P.S. nice logo Strobe_z

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

shame, shame

that official logo is awful, awful, awful ... shows it's still amateur hour in calgary ...

when strobe gives us a MUSTANG instead of a disney pony, calgary should have a proud logo ...

But really, what do you have against Ponies?:D

quote:Originally posted by leekoo

shame, shame

that official logo is awful, awful, awful ... shows it's still amateur hour in calgary ...

when strobe gives us a MUSTANG instead of a disney pony, calgary should have a proud logo ...

But really, what do you have against Ponies?:D

you guys are a tough -- tough -- crew!

I hate to put ours up - although our strategy is to say that we are owned an operated by The Voyageurs - hence the similarity...

all kidding aside I wish all we had to do was put out a good logo

by the way - do you guys have any good players that you can send up to northern ontario...

I must be the only one not offended by the logo. I really don't have a huge problem with it. I'd have thought that some sort of a old west style font would be desirable - perhaps rope - if going with a name based logo. And I really don't get the "G" craddling the soccer ball either. But, I also don't get the fixation with shields. they can be great for sure, but I hardly think them a necessity. And frankly - and I don't mean to come across as harsh - I think the inclusion of a horse in the logo is mundane and a bit cliche. In terms of the two offerings, they are polished enough, but they don't grab me. Thats a first for strobe_z whose past efforts have appealed to me. They just seem formulaic. But, to tidy them up - and this is simply my personal preference because I am anything but artisitic - I'd get rid of the skyline in strobe's offering: It looks like the horse is about to impale himself on the Calgary tower when he come down from heading the soccer ball. Splat! One dead mustang. See, the horse, to me, looks like he has leapt up to head the soccer ball and I don't think that is the impression that was meant.

With Cooks, I find that the yellow C is hard to pick out and simply mangles the horse image. If you are going to have the horse image, it needs to be clean I think.

Anyway, my 2 cents on the matter. Hope I haven't offended.

Archived