Talk With Frank Hisself

leekoo

Talk With Frank Hisself

Find out what Frank's plans are and whether it is true that he is going to play all Canada's World Cup Qualifying games in Northern Manitoba.

Get a chance to own part of the number one club in the World - Manchester United.

This Week On

The No 1 Soccer Talk Radio Show in the USA and Canada

Inside Soccer Talk Radio

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=26

Saturday, December 20th

3 - 6 pm Pacific Time

6 - 9 pm Eastern Time

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Right smack in the middle of a Xmas party for myself. If anybody can listen in & report back here, that would be great.

If you click on the link posted, it will take you to the page and you`ll be able to listen the previous shows.

Other highlights of the talk -

Belize match likely to be in Kingston

January camp to include all North American-based players (ie. including U20 & U23 players)

Hoping for two friendlies in March & two in April (at least one of which would be in Europe, pluse a 8 or 9 day camp prior to the friendly).

Some additional thoughts - while I like the fact that Frank is taking nothing for granted & not necessarily looking past Belize, I am a bit curious about his statements which appear to take the FIFA rankings too seriously, by stating that as we are 11th in Concacaf (and I'm not sure if that's accurate by the FIFA rankings or not) we aren't expected to make the final 6. I hope Frank doesn't really believe this & is using the Dino Zoff coaching tactic of taking pressure off his team by stating that we aren't expected to do much (while at the same time also saying that we can make it). I felt it worked with Zoff in Euro 2000 as he took the pressure off Italy in the first round (a round they usually struggle with) by saying that their goal was to reach the semi-final (when the team's fans & press always believe that the goal should be to win it all and that they are capable of winning it all).

If this is (or will be) Frank's motivational tactic, I'm of two minds. Perhaps it will work, but I also would like to hear him tell our players - "hey boys, we can do it. If we play as well as we can & we all show up, we're gonna do it" - I would hope that our new coach thinks the latter is true, regardless of what the useless FIFA rankings might say.

I liked the bit about our European based players traditionaly not giving a damn about the national program and just going through the motions if they do bother to show up. Generaly speaking of course.

And Mr. Yallop responding that he can spot those types quickly enough and will be happily sending said fu'ks back to their clubs where they can continue their careers. He'll make do with the best of those available who want to pull on the Maple Leaf.

Geezus, kinda sounded like Holger there. Wrong accent though.

Spoke with someone (a Quakes fan) on bigsoccer who's indicated that Frank "underselling" & "over-achieving" his team is par for the course. De Rosario mentioned that Yallop loves the role of the under-dog, so I think we might get used to the sort of comments that Frank provided in this interview.

Spoke with someone (a Quakes fan) on bigsoccer who's indicated that Frank "underselling" & "over-achieving" his team is par for the course. De Rosario mentioned that Yallop loves the role of the under-dog, so I think we might get used to the sort of comments that Frank provided in this interview.

So should we play for the ratings? It would be easy to inflate Canada's ranking by picking and choosing our opponents. Guatemala is ranked higher than us, for pity sake! So are, I beleive, Cuba and Haiti. Why not invite those three teams for a four way tourney in Edmonton in late March early April and freeze them to death? Heck, our opponents would be so miserable in the cold that we could field a North American squad and beat them all three-nil. A few exercises like that and we could crack FIFA top 40 no prob...:)

We couldnt beat a cuban side at the goldcup, so who says we can beat the likes of cuba, guatamala, etc. Until we actually start doing things and winning games, we are 87th in the world. We overrate ourselves on this board and unless we can actually come in strong win a few games in a row i wont be convinced that we will have a chance at the world cup.

We need to start playing the clubs in concacaf and see how we fancy against them, enough with playing euro sides. We played the best and we got trashed, we now need to try to play against the qualifying teams and see how they play and see if we can beat them. Thats where we are gonna see how we are going to do in qualifying.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

You have to take the Fifa rankings serious, if u think about it. The reason the common canadian thinks our soccer program is junk, is the fact that we are 87th in the world according to fifa. We have to change that quick or we will not get respect in our own country.

You are right, sir. FIFA rankings mean nothing, but when funding,

media relations, corporate sponsorships, work permits, and getting

friendlies are involved in this business, well, it DOES mean something.

It's hard for some of our players to play in the UK partly because of the rankings. I'm quite sure that some players may or may not

want to play for Canada as a result as well. Plus since the MNT's

budget was apparently lower this year, the FIFA rankings may also

reflect this.

For many of our uninitiated (in soccer) friends, they always point

out the damned rankings. I hope Yallop will change a few things,

including this conundrum.

The FIFA rankings aren't meaningless for the reasons stated - but their accuracy leaves a lot to be desired (Libya's ranked ahead of us now, does anyone who saw us play Libya this year really want to argue that Libya is better than we are?)

Our results haven't been there in the past 18 months so a low ranking is technically deserved - but original point was that I still think that most coaches wouldn't put too much stock into the alleged accuracy of these rankings, and I am fast getting the impression that Yallop is just using this as a means of "under-dogging" the Canadian team. He also mentioned in the interview that he can't even remember the last time Canada played in Canada & also mentioned the difficulty in getting players released from European clubs for friendlies, so he knows of the factors that have contributed to making Canada's ranking worse than it would be if we didn't make it so damn hard for ourselves (I mean, outside of us, who else never plays at home?). But I don't think he's going to refer to those factors & use them as excuses (that's for us to do) - it looks like thus far he is using the rankings as another means of playing up the under-dog angle.

We have made it hard on ourselves never having a full squad or even sufficient numbers for friendlies against the Czechs & the Germans, of all teams (while playing

NY Times article on Yallop, which includes one or two debatable statements.

Canada

SOCCER REPORT

Tall Order for Canada Coach

By JACK BELL

Published: December 23, 2003

rank Yallop, the new coach of Canada's men's national team, faces a titanic task, and he knows it.

"Nineteen eighty-six is a long time ago," Yallop said in a telephone interview from San Jose, Calif., referring to the last time Canada qualified for the World Cup. "I believe we have a good nucleus of players, and I want them to love to play for Canada."

Advertisement

That has not been the case. Several years ago, Bayern Munich midfielder Owen Hargreaves, born in Calgary, Alberta, to English parents, spurned Canada and decided to play internationally for England. Tomasz Radzinski, a talented striker at Everton in the English Premier League, has often declined national team call-ups. Since that lone World Cup appearance in Mexico, Canada has been leapfrogged by Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago in the Caribbean and, of course, the United States.

"You have got to be able to nurture players, hang on to them and make sure they don't forget what Canada is about," said Yallop, 39. "Look, we had Holger Osieck, a German, a fine coach. But it's different. This is not Europe; it's a different mentality. Look at Bruce Arena. He knows the American player inside and out and has done a fantastic job." (Osieck resigned in September as Canada's international reputation and FIFA ranking — now 87th, down 17 places from a year ago — plummeted.)

Yallop was successful in his tenure with San Jose of Major League Soccer. The Earthquakes were 7-17-8 in 2000, but they improved to 13-7-6 in 2001, Yallop's first as coach, when he led them to the M.L.S. championship. The Earthquakes won the title again last month, and Yallop left with a 41-25-18 record.

Yallop, who was born in London and grew up near Vancouver, British Columbia, played professionally in England for Ipswich Town. He appeared 52 times for Canada and ended his playing career in M.L.S. with Tampa Bay.

While M.L.S. has helped cultivate the United States national team, the few Canadians in the league are considered foreigners under league rules. There are, however, five Canadian clubs in the A-League.

"The absence of a league in Canada has been a hindrance," Jason de Vos, who plays for Wigan Athletic in the English First Division, said in a recent interview. "We see how well the U.S. has done because of M.L.S. It's difficult for us to get players together, and it has been rare that we can field our strongest team."

In its most recent 10 international matches, some against weak competition like Libya and Estonia, Canada has a 2-8 record and has been outscored by 28-12.

Yallop said he would move back to Vancouver in several weeks and then travel to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., for a national team training camp that starts Jan. 12. The team will play a friendly in Barbados on Jan. 18 and another friendly, but not until June, against the Earthquakes. World Cup qualifying begins June 13 with a home-and-home series against Belize.

It will be a long road for Canada; seven countries in the Concacaf region are ranked higher by FIFA: Mexico (7), the United States (11), Costa Rica (17), Jamaica (46), Honduras (49), Trinidad and Tobago (70) and Guatemala (77). Three teams will qualify for the 2006 World Cup in Germany, and a fourth will play off for another berth.

"This really was a very difficult decision for me, but I felt like taking the national team job for Canada was an opportunity I could not pass up," Yallop said. "Players want to play in the World Cup and I want to coach in the World Cup. People think I'm crazy, but why not aim high? Canada has been in the doldrums too long."

In addition to Yallop, there are two other former M.L.S. coaches directing national teams in Concacaf: Arena (United States/D.C. United) and Fernando Clavijo (Haiti/New England).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

NY Times article on Yallop, which includes one or two debatable statements.

In addition to Yallop, there are two other former M.L.S. coaches directing national teams in Concacaf: Arena (United States/D.C. United) and Fernando Clavijo (Haiti/New England).

Didn't Sampson (Costa Rica) coach in MLS at one point?

Archived