Canada's Futsal Team

Gian-Luca

Futsal

Thursday, November 27, 2003

Ongaro Selects Roster for Futsal Tournament in Anaheim

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Futsal Head Coach Ross Ongaro has selected 13-players to participate in a Futsal tournament at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, CA from December 5-7. The tournament will be hosted by the US Futsal Federation. Guatemala, Mexico, and the United States will also compete in this tournament.

All four teams are preparing for next year’s CONCACAF Qualification event leading to the 2004 FIFA Futsal World Championship in Chinese Taipei.

Vancouver Whitecaps and Men’s World Cup player Carlo Corazzin was originally selected to the roster but is not able to attend the tournament in Anaheim due to a minor knee injury.

Ongaro was selected as head coach in January when the association created the National Futsal Program.

"This tournament will be an eye opening experience for a group of players with no Futsal experience and lots of heart,” said Ongaro. “All journeys must start with the first steps."

Canada participated in the inaugural Futsal Championship staged in Netherlands in 1989. Canada finished third in Group C after defeating Japan but losing to both Argentina and Belgium.

Futsal is the only international form of indoor soccer approved by the Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA). The game is frequently referred to as Five-A-Side and is gaining rapid popularity.

More information regarding Futsal can be found by visiting the FIFA web site:

http://www.fifa.com/futsal/laws/2000/index_E.html

Futsal Roster

GK 1 GEHLERT, Glenn Edmonton Scottish 11-May-71 Edmonton AB

GK 22 DAVISS, Bradley Edmonton Scottish 13-Mar-79 Edmonton AB

D 2 LYALL, Geordie Vancouver Whitecaps 15-Sep-78 Victoria BC

D 3 DE SILVA, William Edmonton Aviators 08-Sep-77 Calgary AB

D 4 VALENTE, Alfredo Vancouver Whitecaps 06-Nov-80 Burnaby BC

D 5 BOSCH, Kurt Unattached 19-Mar-76 Edmonton AB

D 6 LEDUC. Patrick Montreal Impact 26-Dec-77 Montreal QC

M 7 SELAIDOPOULOS, Kyriakos Laval Dynamites 26-Feb-78 Montreal QC

M 8 HOLDT, Steffan Calgary Callies 20-Feb-76 Calgary AB

M 9 SARANTOPOULOS, Chris Unattached n/a Montreal QC

M 10 KING, Tiarnan Vancouver Whitecaps 27-Aug-76 New Westminster BC

M 11 FRASER, Sean Calgary Storm FC 21-Sep-80 Edmonton AB

T 12 JORDAN, Jason Vancouver Whitecaps 30-May-78 Richmond BC

T 13 CRAVEIRO, Nico Vancouver Whitecaps 14-Apr-78 Victoria BC

STAFF

Ross Ongaro

Gordon Mazeruk

Dwayne Laing

Charlie Cuzzetto

Tournament Schedule

5/12/03 Guatemala vs. Mexico 18:30

5/12/03 USA vs Canada 20:15

6/12/03 Mexico vs Canada 18:30

6/12/03 USA vs Guatemala 20:15

7/12/03 Canada vs Guatemala 15:00

7/12/03 USA vs Mexico 17:00

Surprising selection, in my opinion. Not a single player from Ontario and only two from Quebec, the traditional hotbeds of futsal in Canada. Senior futsal in Alberta has only really started this year, to my knowledge. As far as I know, players like Steffen Holdt and Liam DeSilva have virtually no competitive experience at the sport. The arena-style futsal is not real useful preparation for futsal. If we are playing the true national teams of USA and Mexico we will certainly be challenged.

Any ideas why there are no Ontarion players, the fact Ongaro is based in Edmonton notwithstanding?

what makes it more strange is that guys that play in the MISL didn't get picked. doesn't Robbie Aristodemo play for the San Diego Sockers???? The eye opener for me is De Silva from the Aviators, funny?? have the Aviators played a single game yet, lol.

Maybe Ongaro is trying out these players to see if there is a diamond in the rough or someone who stands out in this brand of soccer.

A year to select and this is what they come up with? Where indeed are the MISL players? Top indoor league in NorthAmerica with at least a dozen Canadians actively playing and indoor fit:Pappas, Larkin. Rowland[goalkeepers], Hansor, Aristodemo, Nash, Mattachione, Olivero, Dugas, Corneli, Pizzoletto, Sibiya[field players]. The U.S. selected 13 of 16 from MISL[particularly from teams not playing that weekend]To go into a tournament like this with'weekend indoor players' and ALeague players who are 6 months from match fit is simply asking for another embarrassing outcome and ultimately more criticism

Guest Jeffery S.

Wrong wrong wrong Ongaro. This is very poor I must say.

We have a guy who simply does not know the sport nor has done his homework as national team coach.

This sport is different from the outdoor game and from MISL style. So forget those players, and concentrate on the guys playing it. Where are they? They seem to be in a few leagues in Ontario and Quebec. Has Ongaro seen them?

Futsal is a serious sport, and is different from the outdoor or the richochet game. In absolutely no serious futsal country do players do anything else but play futsal. I watch a bit of the game from the best league in the world every week (talking Spain guys), and it is completely separate from the outdoor game.

So...wrong, wrong, wrong, Ongaro, absolutely wrong!

I'm quite confident of Ongaro running things. The AMF competition no doubt hut off his opprotunities to better look at eastern players. Also, dealing with the MISL clubs is a pain. Just ask those that run the US program, they won't be fielding their best side.

It's also noted thatone shouldn't take stock in this tourney as a whole as Costa Rica and Cuba, who qualified for the last Futsal World Cup, aren't going to be at the tourney.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Fan report....

http://www.thehitchhikersguide.us/2003_Futsal_GoldCup/usvscanada12_5_03.php

They also have a picture of the venue in Anaheim. It is a great looking place for a futsal game.

Actually I was there a few years ago for a conference--it _is_ a really nice venue. It has a nice, warm feel, not an echoey hollow feeling. I think it would be a pretty good place for futsal.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Pretty big upset.

Guatemala is usually one of the strongest futsal teams in CONCACAF.

I agree, as they were hosts of the last world cup they put a lot into their team, so this is a very encouraging win. Indeed all our results show we are on our way in the sport. Now to qualify for the world's next year.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

hmm, cool. a quick glance suggests this wasn't close to our best futsal team, either. same old story with our nats - popularity, not skill.

Hardly the case. Ongaro didn't want to ask for release of the MISL players. They will be present at the next training camp.

At least Ross now expanded his talent pool a bit.

Archived