Onstad wins MLS Goalkeeper of the Year

sstackho

I didn't see anyone post this yet, so I thought I'd pass on my congratulations. Glad he made up for that howler at the start of the season.

The MLS Cup final is on ABC at 3:30 EST.

quote:MLS Goalkeeper of the Year: Pat Onstad (San Jose Earthquakes)

An injury to Jon Conway in preseason led to San Jose’s acquisition of experienced Canadian international goalkeeper Pat Onstad and the former A-League player did not disappoint. In an injury-riddled season which plagued San Jose and its back line, Onstad proved a settling and commanding presence. The sure-handed 35-year-old led MLS in every significant goalkeeping category for the majority of the season, finishing tied with a League-high and club-record nine shutouts. Among goalkeepers who played 15 or more matches, Onstad also recorded a superior G.A.A. of 1.04 goals per game.

Runners-Up: Zach Thornton (Chicago Fire), Kevin Hartman (Los Angeles Galaxy)

Onstad played very well today, the penalty save was crucial for San Jose. On Chicago second goal there was a clear foul on the Chicago player who was holding Onstad. On the first maybe Pat could have done better but it was a great goal by DeBeasley.

DeRosario is very good, beautifull pass on Donovan second half goal. I can't wait to see DeRo with Radz with our Senior squad. Plus Pesh as a super sub with coach Yallop on the sideline.

Excellent job by Pat Onstad in the final. His PK save was the turning point in the game. I don't think he really had a chance on either of the goals. Kudos on winning the MLS Best keeper award.

BTW, did anyone notice at the end of the game how the two San Jose reserve keepers(Conway and Saunders) ran out and both hugged him at the same time? A testament to how much of a great guy and team player Pat really is.

Albert

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

Frank Yallop was a finalist for MLS coach of the year. Yallop lost out to Dave Sarachan of the Chicago Fire.

That was a joke. Yallop was far and away the better coach. The Quakes really got screwed at the awards gala.

IMO though, Hartman was the goalkeeper of the year. He had to play in back of a shaky LA defense while Onstad, good as he is, got to play

behind the best defense in the league. Kevin kept LA in a lot of games they shouldn't have been in.

A couple more injustices at the Gala, but you Canucks wouldn't care. [|)]

Archived