U-20 Squad announcement

jonovision

No, I don't have the roster from the CSA.

But isn't the day that we find out who is selected for that squad? Also, that should mean that Miller should have a fairly good idea of who he will be able to select for the next friendlies, so that roster should be out soon as well.

It should be an interesting couple of weeks.

quote:Originally posted by jonovision

But isn't the day that we find out who is selected for that squad?

I think it was due to be submitted to FIFA by November 10. The FIFA site says that all rosters will be released on November 20, so that's the latest we'll find out, but for anything earlier I guess that will depend on whether the CSA can and is willing to release it before then.

Guest Jeffery S.

As the team is going to Turkey this Friday, we should have a call-up announcement very soon. The camp there should last 10 days from what the CSA has been kind enough to advance my way.

We must assume that those going to El Salvador from the u-20 group will go from there or Kelowna directly to the Turkey camp. I am hoping that if we can pull a decent result in El Salvador maybe some of them can be released early.

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Thursday, November 13, 2003

Mitchell Announces Youth Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Men’s Youth (U-20) Head Coach Dale Mitchell has named his 22-player roster for Canada’s pre-tournament training camp in Antalya, Turkey from November 15-19. Mitchell will name his final roster for Canada’s second consecutive FIFA World Youth Championship on November 20th following a match against Turkey on November 19th in Ataturk-Antalya Stadium in Antalya. The 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship will be held in the United Arab Emirates from November 27th to December 19, 2003.

Following the final roster selection, Canada will travel to Dubai, UAE on November 21st for their final preparations.

Atiba Hutchinson, Alim Karim, Winston Marshall, and Sita-Taty Matondo will join the touth team following the Olympic qualifying series against El Salvador on November 15 and 19.

In the first stage, Canada will face Australia, Brazil, and the Czech Republic in Group C. Canada will begin the competition against Brazil on November 28th, continue on December 1st against Australia, and play their final game of the first stage against the Czech Republic on December 4th.

Second stage play will begin on December 12th with a group of 16 teams; the 2003 FIFA World Youth Championship final will take place on December 19th in Abu Dhabi, UAE.

"Our boys are very excited about finally getting the opportunity to play in the World Youth Championships,” said Mitchell. “It has been over a year since qualification and we need to come together as a team like we did then. Given the group we have been drawn into and the quality of players we will be facing, getting results will take three very good games on our part and that bit of luck you sometimes need."

Canada secured their spot after a 3-2 victory over the United States in Charleston, S.C. in November 2002 with two goals by Iain Hume and a single by Chris Lemire.

The tournament was originally scheduled to begin last March but was postponed due to the threat of war in the Persian Gulf region.

Games

November 19, 2003 13h00 Turkey Ataturk-Antalya Stadium

First Stage – Group C

Match Date Time Location Teams

5 28.11.03 17:45 Dubai BRA - CAN

6 28.11.03 20:30 Dubai CZE - AUS

17 01.12.03 17:45 Dubai AUS - CAN

18 01.12.03 20:30 Dubai CZE - BRA

29 04.12.03 17:45 Dubai BRA - AUS

30 04.12.03 20:30 Dubai CAN - CZE

Second stage

Round of 16

If 3rd place 8.12.03 Abu Dhabi 21h00 A1 vs. 3rd C, D, E = Winner 1

If 2nd place 9.12.03 Al-Sharjah 18h00 C2 vs. A2 = Winner 6

If 1st place 9.12.03 Al-Sharjah 21h00 C1 vs. 3rd A, B, F = Winner 4

Quarterfinals

12.12.03 Abu Dhabi 18h00 Winner 1 vs. Winner 2 = Winner A

12.12.03 Dubai 21h00 Winner 6 vs. Winner 5 = Winner C

12.12.03 Dubai 18h00 Winner 4 vs. Winner 3 = Winner B

Semi-finals

15.12.03 Abu Dhabi 18h00 Winner C vs. Winner D

15.12.03 Dubai 21h00 Winner A vs. Winner B

3rd Place Match

19.12.03 Abu Dhabi 18h00

Final

19.12.03 Abu Dhabi 20h45

Training Camp Roster

Pos # Name Club or Training Centre DOB Hometown Prov

GK 1 KARIM, Alim Syracuse University 20-Apr-83 Scarborough ON

D 2 MARSHALL, Winston Wright State University 26-Feb-83 Scarborough ON

D 3 LEDGERWOOD, Nikolas 1860 Munich (Germany) 16-Jan-85 Lethbridge AB

D 4 HARMSE, Kevin Tromso (Norway) 04-Jul-84 Coquitlam BC

M 5 DUTRA, Waldemar NK Osijek (Croatia) 20-Feb-83 Sherwood Park AB

D 6 ARANGO, Andres Montreal Impact 23-Apr-83 Etobicoke ON

M 7 DI TULLIO, Jason Montreal Impact 06-Jan-84 Montreal QC

M 8 CHIN, Gordon Vancouver Whitecaps 26-Mar-83 Burnaby BC

F 9 HUME, Iain Tranmere Rovers FC (Eng) 30-Oct-83 Brampton ON

F 10 BELOTTE, Wyn Wisla Krakow (Poland) 06-May-84 Montreal QC

F 11 LEMIRE, Chris Montreal Impact 03-Nov-83 Edmonton AB

M 12 BRUNO, Francesco Syracuse University 31-Jul-84 Toronto ON

M 13 HUTCHINSON, Atiba Östers IF (Sweden) 08-Feb-83 Brampton ON

F 14 HUGHES, Dylan Kaiserslautern FC (Germany) 23-Jan-85 North Vancouver BC

M 15 SIMPSON, Josh University of Portland 15-May-83 Victoria BC

F 16 GODFREY, Elliott Watford FC (England) 22-Feb-83 Hempstead UK

M 17 MATONDO, Sita-Taty Montreal Impact 28-Dec-84 St-Laurent QC

D 18 ASANTE, Richard Syracuse University 24-Jul-85 Toronto ON

GK 19 LINDLEY, Thomas Sheffield United FC (England) 24-Jan-85 Tatallon NS

GK 20 WAGENAAR, Joshua Hartwick College 26-Feb-85 Grimsby ON

D 21 HAINAULT, Andrew Quebec 17-Jun-86 Hudson QC

D 22 EDGAR, David Newcastle Utd. FC (England) 19-May-87 Kitchener ON

STAFF

Name Function

BARRETT, Angus Head of Delegation

MITCHELL, Dale Head Coach - U20 Men

DASOVIC, Nick Assistant Coach

HART, Stephen CSA Technical Staff

MULDOON, Kevin Equipment Manager/GK Coach

CANNON, Eddie Athletic Therapist

JOHNSON, Ed Doctor

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Administrator

Goalkeeping is a funny thing in this country. In the previous U20 World Cup, neither keeper selected (Meuleman & Zarzycki) has made it to the current Olympic squad, whereas in this case the glut of potential 19 & 20 year old keepers (Djenkanovic, Thunder Dan, Simon Rayner) seem to have been overlooked in favour of two 18 year olds who were not on the radar during qualification (Tom Lindley & Josh Wagenaar). I guess one of the two will be one of the two reserve players (I think the final squad is 20 players this year).

I also wonder if both Edgar & Hainault would both be chosen for the final squad (being 16 & 17 year olds respectively and who both play central defense I believe).

On Edgar and Hainault, it may be true that they are there with little expectation of being part of the final selection. From a coaching perspective, it would be a mistake to limit your options.

I would prefer to think that both Edgar and Hainault are capable players that have developed rapidly over the past year or so. After all, we have a 16 year old playing on the Women's national team and both Gullit and Rijkaard made their national team debut for Holland at 17. It should not be any harder for a 16 or 17 year old Canadian to play on the U-20 Men's national team. Ability should be the key determinant.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Goalkeeping is a funny thing in this country. In the previous U20 World Cup, neither keeper selected (Meuleman & Zarzycki) has made it to the current Olympic squad, whereas in this case the glut of potential 19 & 20 year old keepers (Djenkanovic, Thunder Dan, Simon Rayner) seem to have been overlooked in favour of two 18 year olds who were not on the radar during qualification (Tom Lindley & Josh Wagenaar). I guess one of the two will be one of the two reserve players (I think the final squad is 20 players this year).

I also wonder if both Edgar & Hainault would both be chosen for the final squad (being 16 & 17 year olds respectively and who both play central defense I believe).

Archived