Olympic Team roster announced

Andrew W

Men's Olympic (U-23) Team

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

Twamley Announces Second Round Roster

Ottawa, Ontario – Canadian Men’s Olympic Team Head Coach Bruce Twamley today announced his 20-player roster for the home and away CONCACAF Olympic qualifying series against El Salvador on November 15 and 19.

The team will depart for Ft. Lauderdale, Florida on November 5 and will hold a nine day training camp before leaving for El Salvador on November 13.

They will play the first game of the two-game series against El Salvador on November 15 at Estadio Cuscatlán in San Salvador at 3:00 p.m. (local time). The team will depart for Kelowna, British Columbia on November 16th and play the second game of the series at Apple Bowl Stadium on November 19th at 7:00 p.m. (local time).

“It will be extremely difficult in El Salvador,” said Twamley. “If we can manage a result in San Salvador, we will have a solid chance of advancing because I am sure the support in Kelowna will energize us. Getting a result in Estadio Cuscatlan is no easy task.”

The winner of the series will advance to the qualifying tournament involving two groups of four teams in Mexico from February 2-12, 2004. The winners of each group automatically qualify for the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens.

Canada advanced to the second round after sweeping the US Virgin Islands 24-0 in the two games of the first round played in September, 2003.

Teams must use players born after January 1, 1981 for Olympic Qualifying.

Tickets for the Kelowna match are priced at $19.00 and are available through the Central Okanagan Youth Soccer Association Office at (250) 862-9243 or the Chairman of the Local Organizing Committee Doug Welder's Office at (250) 868-8228.

Canadian Men’s Olympic Team Roster (El Salvador)

Pos # Name Club or Training Centre DOB Hometown, Prov

GK 1 KARIM, Alim Syracuse University 20-Apr-83 Scarborough, ON

D 2 OPPONG, Victor FC Saarbrücken (Germany) 04-Sep-81 Scarborough, ON

D 3 MARSHALL, Winston Wright State University 26-Feb-83 Scarborough, ON

D 4 BRAZ, Adam Vasteras SK (Sweden) 07-Jun-81 Dorval, QC

D 5 POZNIAK, Chris Orebro SK (Sweden) 10-Jan-81 North York, ON

M 6 NSALIWA, Tam SSV Jahn Regensburg (Germany) 28-Jan-82 Edmonton, AB

M 7 WILLIAMS, Chris Montreal Impact 01-Jun-81 Toronto, ON

M 8 KLUKOWSKI, Mike La Louvière (Belgium) 27-May-81 Oshawa, ON

M 9 CANIZALEZ, Maycoll Werder Bremen (Germany) 28-Dec-82 Toronto, ON

F 10 DE GUZMAN, Julian Hannover 96 (Germany) 25-Mar-81 Scarborough, ON

F 11 FRIEND, Rob Moss FK (Norway) 23-Jan-81 Kelowna, BC

M 12 MASCIANTONIO, David AC Isola Liri (Italy) 17-Dec-81 Oakville, ON

M 13 HUTCHINSON, Atiba Östers IF (Sweden) 08-Feb-83 Brampton, ON

D 14 FRONIMADIS, David Montreal Impact 13-Oct-82 Duvernay, QC

M 15 MATONDO, Sita-Taty Montreal Impact 28-Dec-84 St-Laurent, QC

M 16 PLACENTINO, Rocco US Avellino (Italy) 25-Feb-82 Montreal, QC

D 17 THOMPSON, Justin unattached 09-Jan-81 N.Vancouver, BC

GK 18 OLIVIERI, Andrew Montreal Impact 27-Mar-81 Montreal, QC

F 19 WILSON, Cam BC 21-Aug-86 Delta, BC

M 20 DUNFIELD, Terry Bury FC (England) 20-Feb-82 Vancouver, BC

STAFF

NEWMAN, Rob Head of Delegation (El Salvador)

SHARPE, Andy Head of Delegation (Kelowna)

TWAMLEY, Bruce Head Coach - U23 Men

WATSON, Mark Assistant Coach

TILBURY, Ted Athletic Therapist

CAMPBELL, Mike Doctor

COCHRANE, Earl National Teams Administrator

CHONG, Voon Equipment Manager

I find it interesting that Cam Wilson was named to the side at such a young age. Could be a nice experience for him.

Hutchinson is called. Wonder about the impact on U-20 Camp. Also note Karim is called. Does this mean he is the main man for U-20 or the odd man out? Finally, first Peters and now Wilson. Seems as if they may be giving some of our brighter youth prospects some additional international exposure (or he may be called because the U-20 guys are busy).

Hutchinson is called. Wonder about the impact on U-20 Camp. Also note Karim is called. Does this mean he is the main man for U-20 or the odd man out? Finally, first Peters and now Wilson. Seems as if they may be giving some of our brighter youth prospects some additional international exposure (or he may be called because the U-20 guys are busy).

Guest Jeffery S.

First things first. Mark Watson is the assistant coach, meaning he is not called for the nats friendlies. Unless he joins only for the last game, unlikely, or unless there is another Mark Watson. Interesting decision, I suspect that Mark has decided his earlier choice to move on was the right one.

I wonder if they'll let Nsaliwa, Klukowski, Dunfield and de Guzmán play their weekend games and join the team in Florida on November 9-10 (a few others could be added to that list, don't know if Placentino is playing lately for his club). It could be the right way to go, as the next weekend and following midweek is FIFA dates and at least Kluka and de Guzmán do not have official games, meaning that way they would not miss club committments.

As for the two U-20s. It is hard to know whether Karim going here is a compensation for not going to the World Cup, and that Srdjan, Rayner and Fernandes will be called. If it weren't for the fact that Atiba is going i would say this would be the right reasoning. I think that having Atiba is simply a way to bolster the squad though, and after he'll go to Turkey with the U-20s. Having just ended his season he is on form, so maybe just taking advantage of this fact and that we only really have one forward called, Friend, plus Wilson, who would only come on as a late sub I'd think. The other announced is de Guzmán, who we all know does not usually play up front, even MC2 plays a more attacking role.

What is odder is to see Sita called for this, as he is not necessarily on form and it is not clear he is such a stand out u-20 that he should not be with the rest preparing for a World Cup.

BTW, Isola Liri is a team in Serie D, Group H, Lazio region, and are now third in their division. Link here: http://www.acisolaliri.it/

Neither of our Italy based players are listed as first string squad in respective websites from what I have seen.

Guest Jeffery S.

First things first. Mark Watson is the assistant coach, meaning he is not called for the nats friendlies. Unless he joins only for the last game, unlikely, or unless there is another Mark Watson. Interesting decision, I suspect that Mark has decided his earlier choice to move on was the right one.

I wonder if they'll let Nsaliwa, Klukowski, Dunfield and de Guzmán play their weekend games and join the team in Florida on November 9-10 (a few others could be added to that list, don't know if Placentino is playing lately for his club). It could be the right way to go, as the next weekend and following midweek is FIFA dates and at least Kluka and de Guzmán do not have official games, meaning that way they would not miss club committments.

As for the two U-20s. It is hard to know whether Karim going here is a compensation for not going to the World Cup, and that Srdjan, Rayner and Fernandes will be called. If it weren't for the fact that Atiba is going i would say this would be the right reasoning. I think that having Atiba is simply a way to bolster the squad though, and after he'll go to Turkey with the U-20s. Having just ended his season he is on form, so maybe just taking advantage of this fact and that we only really have one forward called, Friend, plus Wilson, who would only come on as a late sub I'd think. The other announced is de Guzmán, who we all know does not usually play up front, even MC2 plays a more attacking role.

What is odder is to see Sita called for this, as he is not necessarily on form and it is not clear he is such a stand out u-20 that he should not be with the rest preparing for a World Cup.

BTW, Isola Liri is a team in Serie D, Group H, Lazio region, and are now third in their division. Link here: http://www.acisolaliri.it/

Neither of our Italy based players are listed as first string squad in respective websites from what I have seen.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Good catch on Watson. I rarely look at the coaching and support staff so missed it entirely. I also see that Winston Marshall is called. He too is an U-20 and I believe, a projected starter. As for Matondo, he did very well for the u-20s at the soccer festival in Houston back in August, scoring a goal against the US if I recall correctly. But you are right, perhaps his stock is dropping? Marshall and Hutchinson are sure fire starters for the U-20s. Karim may or may not be. Same with Matondo. It will be interesting to see the U-20 roster. Perhaps Jamie Peters or another of the U-17s midfielders has vaulted ahead of him. Hard to imagine, but reports indicated that there were a couple of very talented midfielders on that team.

Good catch on Watson. I rarely look at the coaching and support staff so missed it entirely. I also see that Winston Marshall is called. He too is an U-20 and I believe, a projected starter. As for Matondo, he did very well for the u-20s at the soccer festival in Houston back in August, scoring a goal against the US if I recall correctly. But you are right, perhaps his stock is dropping? Marshall and Hutchinson are sure fire starters for the U-20s. Karim may or may not be. Same with Matondo. It will be interesting to see the U-20 roster. Perhaps Jamie Peters or another of the U-17s midfielders has vaulted ahead of him. Hard to imagine, but reports indicated that there were a couple of very talented midfielders on that team.

Guest Jeffery S.

From what I recall the U-20s were to go to Turkey from the 13th to the 22nd, then onto UAE. I recall hearing about the place, on the central Aegean coast, but can't find the name right off, it was a kind of resort and looked very nice.

Guest Jeffery S.

From what I recall the U-20s were to go to Turkey from the 13th to the 22nd, then onto UAE. I recall hearing about the place, on the central Aegean coast, but can't find the name right off, it was a kind of resort and looked very nice.

Is it just me or does it seem that an assistant coaching position is granted to our retiring internationals in lieu of a testimonial. I'm of the mind that quality player does not automatically equate to qualified coach. What coaching experience do Dasovic and Watson have?

I thought I read somewhere on here (probably an Ed post) that De Guzman was suspended for this weekend's Bundesliga match due to accumulation of yellow cards (he picked one up in the last match). In which case he could be with the team right at the start of the camp.

I would be surprised if Matondo's inclusion is meant to be a bad sign for him - he is missing no club time, remember, so is easily able to play for both the U20 & U23 squads this month. His inclusion might be another way of keeping him fit, as with this midfield (De Guzman, Hutchinson, Nsaliwa, Klukowski, Dunfield, Masciantonio) we are already stacked.

In fact, I would think Matondo would be a more likely choice for striker (as well as Canizalez) than De Guzman and suspect they will play up front despite what is listed by the CSA (who in any case, have another inaccuracy with Thompson (Justin, as opposed to Ryan) listed as un-attached.)

I am surprised and pleased to see Watson as an assistant coach - I don't know if he would make a great coach or not (though he would know a thing or two about playing matches in El Salvador) but it means he won't be on the pitch for the Nats in November! I had thought that Rogers was being called to replace Fenwick and or Pozniak, but with at least two, if not three defenders from the Finland squad not being called to the November friendlies, perhaps we might see Marco Reda after all.

I had hoped to see Ali Ngon called as a striker - Cam Wilson must be a fairly talented striker to be called over Ali & a number of the other A-league strikers that were available.

So many options. Anyone want to venture a guess what he might start like? I'm not even sure what formation we'd prefer. Since I like embarassing myself publicly, how's this for a rough sketch of an XI for San Salvador?

--------------------------Olivieri

-----------Oppong-----Braz--------Pozniak

Nsaliwa---Hutchinson----Dunfield---Klukowski

-------------DeGuzman-----Canizalez

--------------------------Friend

I normally don't favour the lone gunman, but we have so many option in midfield and I'd like to flood the midifeld and offer lots of support and try to close down their (I expect) short-passing game. DeGuzman and Canizalez can both get forward well and I wouldn't be surprised to see MC2 pair with Friend as an out-and-out striker.

I'm glad to see Marshall get called. I'm not so pleased with Matondo. If we're going to call up a U20 forward, he wouldn't be my first choice. I also know very little about Maschiantonio and Placentino. Glad to see Watson behind the bench. I think he'll be an excellent coach. I like his drive and desire and hopefully he helps put that fight into the boys.

Where does Thompson play in the back? Centrally?

cheers,

matthew

A few interesting selections.

First, as they are obviously calling U-20s, wonder why they didn't call Hume? Perhaps with U-20 tournament coming up and further Olympic qualifying in January if we progress they thought it would be better not to call him now. Whilst its a risk, I support it and think its a good decision.

Also, no Godfrey and it seems the preferred Matondo over him. I would have thought Godfrey would have been a better choice and with him only playing in the reserves, he would be available.

And finally and most surprisingly no Harmse. Is he injured as I would have thought he would be preferred in the back to Marshal. Also, the Norwegian season is finished so he should be available.

This being said. The side has a very strong midfield and enough scoring punch to get by El Salavador.

Last comment, I really like the fact that the CSA has taken the approach of blooding youngsters early. We saw it with Peters in the previous round, and now Wilson. And with the U-20s, we saw it with Edgar, Hughes and Hainault most recently but also Kassaye, Lali, Lindley, and Sheppherd previously. Its a very good approach as these kids are our future and playing above their head can only help.

Should be an interesting experience for Canizalez to play in El Salvador. Although I suppose no less interesting than it will be for McKenna (and Brennan if healthy) to play in Ireland. I know that I would be especially motivated to do well if I ever had the opportunity to represent Canada in a competition in any sport against the nation of my ethnic heritage. I suspect these three players will do especially well in a similar situation.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by An Observer

Last comment, I really like the fact that the CSA has taken the approach of blooding youngsters early. We saw it with Peters in the previous round, and now Wilson. And with the U-20s, we saw it with Edgar, Hughes and Hainault most recently but also Kassaye, Lali, Lindley, and Sheppherd previously. Its a very good approach as these kids are our future and playing above their head can only help.

I have heard very good things about Kassaye, he plays at the back and the word is that he plays the ball out well, doesn't just boot it up. And has poise, though he's young. This is the kind of central defender we need to encourage and work on in our development. Anyone know what his club or univ is?

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Should be an interesting experience for Canizalez to play in El Salvador. Although I suppose no less interesting than it will be for McKenna (and Brennan if healthy) to play in Ireland. I know that I would be especially motivated to do well if I ever had the opportunity to represent Canada in a competition in any sport against the nation of my ethnic heritage. I suspect these three players will do especially well in a similar situation.

I think I read somewhere that McKenna's parents were Scottish.

quote:I think I read somewhere that McKenna's parents were Scottish

You may be right, since I was just guessing about Kevin's ethnic background, based on his name and the fact I read somewhere his Dad was a Celtic supporter.

I have heard very good things about Kassaye, he plays at the back and the word is that he plays the ball out well, doesn't just boot it up. And has poise, though he's young. This is the kind of central defender we need to encourage and work on in our development. Anyone know what his club or univ is?

He was with Edmonton Inter U-18 last year. Not sure where he is now. Great athlete.

Archived