Canada U-20 vs Mexico U-20 (R)

loyola

Guest Jeffery S.

Right you are, here's a report from a Mexican web on the game, translated; original and a photo found at http://www.esmas.com/deportes/futbol/320684.html

PANAMÁ, Panamá, oct. 17, 2003.- The Mexican under 20 team fell this Friday 1-2 to Canada in a rough friendly, on the second day of the four-team tournament being held in Panama before the Junior World Cup that will be held in the United Arab Emirates this November.

The Canadians went ahead on the scoreboard in m. 16 with a goal by Dylan Hugues (sic), who took advantage of a rebound off the Mexican defense to score.

The Mexicans drew back even with a goal by Aldo de Nigris in m. 70 (giving him three for the tournament), but the Canadians sealed the victory in m. 82 when Chris Williams hit home a penalty kick. The "Azteca" squad finished the match at Rommel Fernández Stadium with 9 men on the field.

The "tricolor" team played with 10 men for the final 32 minutes after the expulsion of Juan Carlos Barrera for hitting the Canadian Sita-taty Matondo in the stomach, and in the 85th minute Juan Carlos Medina had to leave the field for his second yellow card.

México began the tournament with a win over Paraguay 2-1 and will end on Sunday versus Panama, while Canada, who fell 1-2 to the hosts, will end on Sunday versus the South American side.

The tournament, called "Mini World Cup, 100 Years of the Republic", serves as preparation for the four teams looking ahead to the World Cup which begins on November 27 in the United Arab Emirates.

Guest Jeffery S.

More positive reports, this one says we dominated for the first 45 minutes, a good sign vs. the Mexicans, esp. considering were are missing Hume, Godfrey, Wyn, Marshall. Then Mexico got hot and attacked 2nd half, with their expulsions taking the steam out of a comeback. Mind you the times they put on the goals differ from above, as do goal scorer names, the 2nd eliminated player. No need to translate it, the key phrases in bold, from http://www.terra.com/fox/articulo/html/fox60794.htm:

Panamá, 17 oct (EFE).- La selección canadiense venció hoy por 2-1 a su similar de México, en un partido amistoso disputado en el Estadio "Rommel Fernández", en la capital panameña. El partido abrió la segunda fecha del cuadrangular internacional amistoso Sub 20 entre los equipos de México, Paraguay, Canadá y Panamá, denominado "Cien años de la República", que se juega con motivo de los festejos del Centenario del país centroamericano. Los goles canadienses fueron anotados por Dilan Hughes y Cris Lemiere a los 14 y 75 minutos, mientras que México descontó a los 69 minutos por medio de Jesús Denigris de un potente zurdazo. El encuentro fue dominado por Canadá en los primeros 45 minutos de juego, pero para la parte complementaria los mexicanos atacaron con todo, pero el juego violento les costó dos expulsiones, la del capitán Juan Carlos de la Barrera, por darle una coz a un rival, y Carlos Merida al final del partido. El cuadrangular, que se prolongará hasta el próximo domingo, es de preparación al Mundial Sub 20 que se disputará en los Emiratos Arabes Unidos entre finales de noviembre y diciembre próximo. EFE lbb/jsg

Well Dylan Hughes is certainly making a case for himself for inclusion on this team, which is already filled with top-quality strikers. 2 goals in 2 games. We already have Hume, Belotte, Lemire, Godfrey - I wonder if Alex Chursky may be the odd man out now if Dylan should make the squad.

I'm not sure if Chursky is rippin it up like he did in the beginning. I haven't checked lately but it looked like his older brother was the guy getting all the goals. With the current stable of goal getters on the U20's, I'm not sure Chursky would make the side anyway. Our weapons up front are all guys that are practically good enough for the senior mens team. By the end of WCQ, I wouldn't be surprised if they all get a look see.

Having briefly coached against dylan in vancouver and on the provincial team, he is without question one of the most talented players i have ever seen. He has always had the knack to show briliance like a micheal owen. Its great to see him doing well.

Archived