Ottawa and Montreal may get CONCACAF U19 (W)

ray

Canadian Soccer Association

Tuesday, October 14, 2003

Canada Set to Host CONCACAF Women’s U-19 Qualifying Championship

Ottawa, Ontario - The Canadian Soccer Association announced today that it expects its bid to host the 2004 Under-19 CONCACAF Women's Championships will be successful.

The event would bring together the eight best under-19 women's teams from across the North and Central America and Caribbean region to participate in the event that the CSA plans to host at both Ottawa’s Frank Clair Stadium and Montreal’s McGill University Molson Stadium from May 28 – June 6, 2004.

The CONCACAF Executive Committee is expected to make its formal decision on the host nation during it’s meeting on November 4, 2003 but so far Canada is the only CONCACAF member nation to have indicated it

would like to host the event.

"Hosting this event will be a great way to follow-up on our success in the recent FIFA Women’s World Cup in USA,” stated Kevan Pipe, Chief Operating Officer of the CSA. “While we now start preparing for our Olympic qualifiers with the Senior Team in Costa Rica in February, this Championship being staged in Canada will provide the opportunity to intensely focus on our next group of young players about to burst on the national scene and we are certain fans in both Montreal and Ottawa will thoroughly enjoy this spectacle.”

CONCACAF General Secretary, Chuck Blazer in New York confirmed, "Of course the decision as to who will host the under-19 women's event will be made by our Executive Committee in their meeting on November 4th. However, I can confirm that Canada is currently the sole bidder. Given their success in the FIFA Women's World Cup, and the great support women's soccer enjoys in Canada, I have no doubt that the CONCACAF U-19 Women's

Championship would enjoy huge success were Canada to host it."

The Championship is set up as two groups of four nations each, with each group led by Canada and United States. Each group will play a round robin tournament from May 28 to June 1. Cross over semi-finals involving the winners of each group playing the runners up in the other group will take place in Montreal on Friday June 4, 2004. The winners of these semi finals will achieve two goals; they will both qualify for the FIFA Women’s U-19 World Championship set for Thailand in November 2004 as well as meeting for the CONCACAF Championship final in Ottawa on June 6, 2004.

Canada’s Women’s U-19 team will include current Women’s World Cup Team players such as Kara Lang (36 caps/21 goals), Brittany Timko (28 caps) and Tanya Dennis (8 caps) who have just returned home after starring at the FIFA Women’s World Cup last week. The team will also include other U-19 players who have already garnered senior caps including Veronique Miranda, Josee Belanger, Myriam Gousse as well as returnees from the 2002 FIFA silver medal squad such as Katie Thorlakson and Robyn Gayle.

“I am delighted that Canada will have the chance to host this World Championship qualifier next year,” stated Women’s U-19 Team Head Coach Ian Bridge. “This is another exciting opportunity to showcase our young players as we did so well last year and to qualify for the FIFA U-19 Championship. We will have a most exciting team led by such experienced players like Lang, Timko, Dennis and Miranda and we have already begun our preparations for this qualifier.”

CSA now awaits for final approval from CONCACAF on November 4 and will release further information at that time.

====================================================================

A chance to see if Canada's style will change from kick-and-chase to something more balanced.

quote:Originally posted by jaydog2006

Don't know about montreal but this event very well in ottawa.

Nice verbs! [B)]

I didn't say it wouldn't be succesful, just that personally I don't care too much and otehr than to see the travelling roadshow of Canada and the States, there won't be much people.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Uh, I wouldn't go to more than 1-2 games.

The U19 Women's CONCACAF Championship is about as low as you can go for importance in an event.

The point is that Canada has an event.

You do say you will go, so that's good.

What is more important is to get other people to go.

The most important thing is that by having the spotlight on soccer.

This will pay dividends for all teams be it the Montreal Impact or any National team.

While the french media in Montreal is more openminded to covering soccer the english media in Montreal have no interest in soccer played by Canadians.

This again forces them to report Canadian soccer news.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Uh, I wouldn't go to more than 1-2 games.

The U19 Women's CONCACAF Championship is about as low as you can go for importance in an event.

I have to agree here. I'll bet that they will be dancing in the streets for this one.

What I noticed happening with soccer governing bodies is that they tend to give "low importance" events to regions or areas that they don't particularly like or purposely want to snub for more competitive or prestigious events. Therefore, when a pretigious event comes along, they can snub these same areas under the cover of an excuse that that/those regions already hosted " so and so" ( un important event). Then how dare one complain that their region got snubbed for an important event... it would be so politically incorrect. If I were living in Montreal or Ottawa, I would see no reason to be thrilled by this. Wow!!! a regional kids tournamnent. I have no doubt that you would see better soccer at the Robbie tournament.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I have to agree here. I'll bet that they will be dancing in the streets for this one.

What I noticed happening with soccer governing bodies is that they tend to give "low importance" events to regions or areas that they don't particularly like or purposely want to snub for more competitive or prestigious events. Therefore, when a pretigious event comes along, they can snub these same areas under the cover of an excuse that that/those regions already hosted " so and so" ( un important event). Then how dare one complain that their region got snubbed for an important event... it would be so politically incorrect. If I were living in Montreal or Ottawa, I would see no reason to be thrilled by this. Wow!!! a regional kids tournamnent. I have no doubt that you would see better soccer at the Robbie tournament.

That may be true, but for Canada, with limited infrastructure these are the kinds of events that will encourage local and provincial governments to put in a few bucks to upgrade facilities. Not the 40,000 seat soccer specific stadiums we need to go after the real events, but decent seating, concessions and washrooms that are missing from so many of the facitiles we do have. Now Frank Clair and McGill are probably fine as they are, but this level of tournament is within the reach of communities Regina and Saskatoon and is the type of thing that would encourage both communties to upgrade their facitilites.

Just as a note, one of the mayoralty candidates in Saskatoon, and one with a good chance of winning, is making improved sporting facilties part of his platform. He wants Saskatoon to think on the level of "Winnipeg, Calgary & Salt Lake" and pursue both multi-event games and high profile single events. Soccer is included in his agenda.

• 3 weeks later...

Confirmed. Canada gets U19 tournament

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1521

Tuesday, November 04, 2003

CONCACAF Confirms CSA Hosting For 2004 Under-19 Qualifying Tournament

CONCACAF confirmed today at the conclusion of its Executive Committee Meeting in Miami, Florida USA, that Canada will host the Final Round of the Women's Under-19 qualifying tournament next year.

This will be the second time in history that CONCACAF stages a qualifying event for the U-19 World Championship as the most recent one took place in Trinidad & Tobago in 2002.

Once the CONCACAF Venue Inspection is completed this month, the Canadian Soccer Association plans the host the 2004 event at both Ottawa’s Frank Clair Stadium and Montreal’s McGill University Molson Stadium from 28 May – 6 June 2004.

“Given their success in the FIFA Women's World Cup, and the great support women's football receives in Canada, I have no doubt that the CONCACAF U-19 Women's Championship will be a huge success," said CONCACAF General Secretary Chuck Blazer.

No stranger to staging a U-19 Women’s competitions, Canada was the venue for the inaugural FIFA U-19 World Championship in 2002. Canada reached the final, but dropped a 1:0 result to the USA in ‘golden goal’ extra time. COMPLETE STORY

As of now 22 National Associations have confirmed their participation in the CONCACAF U-19 qualifying rounds, which its preliminary zonal competitions are schedule to take played from 15 January – 31 March 2004.

Only seven nations will join Canada in the eight-team CONCACAF Final Round that will qualify two squads to the 2004 FIFA U-19 World Championship from 10-27 November in Thailand.

Confirmed National Associations for 2004 CONCACAF U-19 Qualification

Anguilla

Bahamas

British Virgin Islands

Canada *

Cayman Islands

Costa Rica

Dominica

Dominican Republic

El Salvador

Guatemala

Haiti

Honduras

Jamaica

Mexico

Nicaragua

Panama

Puerto Rico

Saint Lucia

Suriname

Trinidad & Tobago

USA

US Virgin Islands

Guest Jeffery S.

I think that the key thing, apart from fan interest, is that the CSA is getting practice at organizing events with Concacaf and Fifa is watching.

This experience is fundamental, as it breaks an apparent isolation of our institutions, forces politicians to take note, and gives the CSA all kinds of fundamentals that perhaps they have not had. Going through the motions for each tournament means getting stronger in every little detail, responding to press and to other federations' demands, and this will pay off in the long term.

• 2 months later...

www.canadasoccer.com/eng

Dates Set For CONCACAF Women's U-19 Qualifiers

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association and the Confederation of North, Central American and Caribbean Association Football (CONCACAF) today released the schedule for its Final Round Qualifications for the 2004 FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship in Thailand from November 20-27, 2004. The CONCACAF Qualification tournament will be held at McGill University’s Percival Molson Stadium in Montreal and Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa from May 28 – June 6, 2004.

Eight teams, four in each group, will participate in the CONCACAF tournament; Canada will lead Group A, while 2002 FIFA U-19 Women’s World Champions USA, will lead Group B. A record 21 National Associations are currently competing in CONCACAF preliminary zonal competitions for the final six positions. Both finalists of this tournament will proceed to the 2004 FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship.

The competition will begin on Friday, May 28th with double-headers played at both venues. The top two countries in each group will advance to the semi-finals scheduled for Friday, June 4th in Montreal. The final will be played on Sunday, June 6th at 1:00 p.m. EST in Ottawa.

Canada will play its opening round game in Montreal on Friday, May 28th at 7:00 p.m. before moving to Ottawa to play its remaining two pool round matches on Sunday, May 30th at 6:00 p.m. and Tuesday, June 1st at 7:00 p.m.

Bulk tournament passes for each venue are priced at $10.00 per person and are available to the registered soccer membership through Melanie Rutherford - (613) 233-6561 at the Eastern Ontario District Soccer Association (EODSA) and Valérie Benoît - (514) 252-3068 ext. 3908 at the Quebec Soccer Federation (FQSF).

Further ticket information will be announced shortly.

In front 47,784 spectators and 917,000 television viewers, Canada lost 1-0 in extra time of the final to the United States at Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium on September 1st, 2002 in the inaugural 2002 FIFA U-19 Women’s World Championship.

2004 CONCACAF U-19 FINAL ROUND QUALIFICATION

Group A: Canada, A2, A3, A4

Group B: USA, B2, B3, B4

Venues

Montreal – McGill University, Percival Molson Stadium

Ottawa - Frank Clair Stadium

Tournament Schedule

Friday, May 28

Montreal

16:30 – B2 vs. B3

19:00 – Canada vs. A4

Ottawa